Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
3DS will never die.

Because the Switch isn't a 3DS replacement.
I'm pretty sure most of the 3DS time will be devoted to Detective Pikachu, as it's the last big "N" title the system has and it's due out in a few weeks(with a big expensive amiibo they need to advertise). Maybe they have a few bones left out in the yard, but the 3DS is all but over. And since "N" combined their handheld & console R&D years ago, with little to no first party titles for the NS at this point. I seriously doubt there is any other dedicated handheld coming from them, especially with how well the NS is doing. They just don't have the resources to make games for two systems anymore(and never really did to begin with).

I'm pretty sure most of the 3DS time will be devoted to Detective Pikachu, as it's the last big "N" title the system has and it's due out in a few weeks(with a big expensive amiibo they need to advertise). Maybe they have a few bones left out in the yard, but the 3DS is all but over. And since "N" combined their handheld & console R&D years ago, with little to no first party titles for the NS at this point. I seriously doubt there is any other dedicated handheld coming from them, especially with how well the NS is doing. They just don't have the resources to make games for two systems anymore(and never really did to begin with).
Nintendo not having the resources to make games for multiple platforms is always a bad excuse. Mainly because Nintendo isn't the only developer that makes games for the 3DS, but people seem to act like they are.

Rumor is that Fire Emblem 16 for the Switch is going to be unveiled during the Nintendo Direct tomorrow, with a launch date this summer. 

https://twitter.com/vandal_leaks/status/970637161379844096

I enjoyed Awakening a few years ago, enough to think I was a Fire Emblem fan (I had only playing a bit of the first GBA FE before), so I tried playing Conquest recently but found the writing so bad that I had to drop it. Idk why, I know it's great from a gameplay perspective but I just felt no motivation to see how the plot would progress because Corrin seemed very stupid. I think that stemmed from the game being split into branching storylines with Birthright Conquest and Revelations, so I might be willing to give a Switch game a chance if it's not split up into multiple games and the writing is at least decent. Idk maybe it was just me

Worst comes to worst at least I liked Awakening and my boy Donnel haha

Would be nice if they released an adaptor that would let you play 3ds games on the Switch.
It could plug into the USB-C port on the bottom of the unit. It would also come with a Switch-compatible stylus, and a special attachable grip that would let you orient the Switch vertically while you played it. (it would slide onto one side of the system, and then you could slide the JoyCons onto either side of the grip. Charge between $50-$75 for it, it would sell like hotcakes, and could keep 3DS software sales strong for years to come. (as well as open up the door for digital 3DS sales on the Switch, which could go on indefinitely)

It's a good idea, but I'm not sure if Nintendo would really want to go that route at this juncture. It all depends on whether or not they're planning on riding the 3DS for another couple years, or want to double-down on the current success of the Switch.

It could plug into the USB-C port on the bottom of the unit. It would also come with a Switch-compatible stylus, and a special attachable grip that would let you orient the Switch vertically while you played it. (it would slide onto one side of the system, and then you could slide the JoyCons onto either side of the grip. Charge between $50-$75 for it, it would sell like hotcakes, and could keep 3DS software sales strong for years to come. (as well as open up the door for digital 3DS sales on the Switch, which could go on indefinitely)

It's a good idea, but I'm not sure if Nintendo would really want to go that route at this juncture. It all depends on whether or not they're planning on riding the 3DS for another couple years, or want to double-down on the current success of the Switch.
Come on! This is Nintendo we are talking about here! They would sell something like this for $150 and also not allow us to re-download games we already own on the 3DS eShop.

I enjoyed Awakening a few years ago, enough to think I was a Fire Emblem fan (I had only playing a bit of the first GBA FE before), so I tried playing Conquest recently but found the writing so bad that I had to drop it. Idk why, I know it's great from a gameplay perspective but I just felt no motivation to see how the plot would progress because Corrin seemed very stupid. I think that stemmed from the game being split into branching storylines with Birthright Conquest and Revelations, so I might be willing to give a Switch game a chance if it's not split up into multiple games and the writing is at least decent. Idk maybe it was just me

The writing in Conquest was deplorable. Birthright's and Revelation's was more tolerable, but overall I didn't really enjoy the storyline of fates. The gameplay is what keeps me coming back though.

I bought Conquest on one of the Best Buy GCU sales and after that opening sequence kept hoping for "Join the battle in Smash" to show up as a choice.

Fire Emblem has gotten worse, in my opinion, over the last few years. I prefer all of the older editions from the Wii, gamecube, and gba.

Tharja.

/thread :cool:
I see you are also a man of culture.

tharja_fun_by_prismacube-db8nop7.gif

Waifu or bust, that's why I hated gaiden, I mean shadows of w.e u call it
:(

But Shadows of Valentia had Celica, Mae, Faye, Genny, Delthea, Clair, Silque, Tatiana, Mathilda, Sonya, Palla, Catria and Est.....

I actually really enjoyed Shadows of Valentia. However, the fact that the character bonds were linear and a bit limited when compared to previous games, is probably the only minor gripe that I had with the game.

Nintendo not having the resources to make games for multiple platforms is always a bad excuse. Mainly because Nintendo isn't the only developer that makes games for the 3DS, but people seem to act like they are.
For sure the 3DS & DS had amazing 3rd party support. But the 3DS life cycle is over, if "N" doesn't show much for the 3DS from them during the direct, I don't expect anything from anybody else.

For sure the 3DS & DS had amazing 3rd party support. But the 3DS life cycle is over, if "N" doesn't show much for the 3DS from them during the direct, I don't expect anything from anybody else.
A good amount of third party games are still coming out for it though. The 3DS still has pretty good third party support.

Outside of Fire Emblem and Pokemon I don't think I have any first party games on 3DS. I don't really care much for Nintendo's other (active) franchises.

Come on! This is Nintendo we are talking about here! They would sell something like this for $150 and also not allow us to re-download games we already own on the 3DS eShop.
$150? No. If they were going to do this, it would have to be competitively priced with the other lines of 3DS-compatible systems. As such, it couldn't push much higher than the standard 2DS. (which is essentially the same as what we're describing, functionally) That would cap the price at around $80, with the $50 - $75 being much more likely. $60 would be a decent compromise, I could see them charging that for such a product.

The thing is, even at that price they would be making a killing. All they would really need in terms of the hardware would be the 3DS cartridge slot interface, and a way to pass that through the USB-C efficiently. Everything else could be run off of the Switch's hardware. As such, the production costs for such a device would be low, well under $60 if they mass-produced it. This is why I think it's possible. It would be a relatively inexpensive way for Nintendo to promote the 3DS's software library while the system is on the way out.

I do agree with the second part of your statement, though. Yes, they would likely force you to purchase the digital games again on the eShop. (this time specifically for the Switch hardware) They've never wrapped their brains around platform agnostic purchases. They still lag far behind Sony in this regard, who have been way cooler about this sort of thing. All the PS1 games I've purchased off of PSN can be played on like 4 different platforms.

If anyone is going to Gallery Nucleus on March 17th for the Yakuza event please please please let me know. I desperately want one of those Yakuza 6 shirts that will be for sale. Shoot me a PM if you're going! Unfortunately I can't fly across the country for it :(

Go back to play the GBA games or Path of Radiance on GC. You can emulate most of them pretty easily. You will enjoy it. And the GBA games have great sprite work so the graphics don't feel like they aged at all.

https://twitter.com/Ichikyo57/status/971770229872365569

Why isn't GUST promoting the Blue Reflection DLC?

Yeah, that looks like they modded Atelier and used the school map from Blue Reflection.

Guess they did that to show the unused assets from Blue Reflection.

It's a premium DLC map in Atelier Lydie & Suelle. There's one from Nights of Azure 2 as well. They cost about 1,300 yen for each one.

Fire Emblem has gotten worse, in my opinion, over the last few years. I prefer all of the older editions from the Wii, gamecube, and gba.
Shadows of valentia is ok but celica is a horrible person and I find how they did the skill system completely effing stupid. You don't put in a skill learning system when you can't keep them. If you could permanently learn the skills from equipment that would justify it to an extent. Still prefer its skills over the awful and grindy ones from awakening-fates at least. But path of radiance/radiant dawn was the games that did it best. Speaking of which I still find celica more tolerable than radiant dawns awful girl.

:(

But Shadows of Valentia had Celica, Mae, Faye, Genny, Delthea, Clair, Silque, Tatiana, Mathilda, Sonya, Palla, Catria and Est.....

I actually really enjoyed Shadows of Valentia. However, the fact that the character bonds were linear and a bit limited when compared to previous games, is probably the only minor gripe that I had with the game.
celica outside appearance is not a positive.

Go back to play the GBA games or Path of Radiance on GC. You can emulate most of them pretty easily. You will enjoy it. And the GBA games have great sprite work so the graphics don't feel like they aged at all.
I don't think they ever got path of radiance working emulation wise. the gba ones though I enjoyed emulating them on the wii so I played all 3 with path of radiance and radiant dawn that year in my marathon of fire emblem.

One major plus I will give esov is that archers can attack and counter from 1 space away again like they could in radiant dawn.

Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes first gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXYA9g9OYxA

Project Octopath Traveler launches July 13, special edition revealed

octopath-traveler-limitedjpg.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp88xPcsFH8

Okami HD Announced for Nintendo Switch; Coming This Summer

Dark Souls getting an amiibo And Network Test

Luigi’s Mansion for Nintendo 3DS Revealed; Coming in 2018 with New Mode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRUshWRbErk

Mario & Luigi Bowser’s Inside Story + Bowser Jr.’s Journey Revealed for 3DS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgwf64vdyC4

Sushi Striker coming to Switch and 3DS on June 8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjkR9mls-Ys

Dillon’s Dead Heat Breaker Headed Westward On May 24 With A Demo Coming May 10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL8NDlgY4mM

WarioWare Gold Revealed for 3DS; Arrives this August

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhgUhM6aNeY

Mario Tennis Aces Release Date Revealed in Nintendo Direct; Coming June 22

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker Announced for Nintendo Switch and 3DS; Coming this July

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyVmqW7tC3o

Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition out on May 18

Splatoon 2 version 3.0 update launches late April, Octo Expansion DLC launches this summer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fTJRLOEB9M

Super Smash Bros. Headed To Nintendo Switch In 2018 With Inklings From Splatoon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If3lCdtO90U

SaGa: Scarlet Grace coming to Switch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKdZtpX_XaY

Taiko Drum Master heading to Switch in Japan this summer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4-gTqNP1QY

Phantasy Star Online 2 Cloud heading to Japan on April 4, Link costume available

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=At1-p61IvDo

Amazon has PS4 Tokyo Xanadu eX+ Limited Edition on sale for $78.02 right now.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NASW99J?th=1 

The MSRP seemed overpriced to me at 150, I'm still not sure if I'll order this or not.  Especially since the standard edition I ordered for 30 is supposed to arrive today.  FYI: Standard Edition is currently at 34.03.

Pretty much everything I wanted to play on WiiU is coming to Switch. If they put Super Mario 3D world on it that would likely be most of my wants other than something like Mirage Sessions, which is not a super high want.

I don't think they ever got path of radiance working emulation wise. the gba ones though I enjoyed emulating them on the wii so I played all 3 with path of radiance and radiant dawn that year in my marathon of fire emblem.

One major plus I will give esov is that archers can attack and counter from 1 space away again like they could in radiant dawn.
I played PoR on an emulator. There were some graphical hitches and it crashed a few times but you can play through the whole thing.

Dang! That was a great direct. I’m extremely excited about Luigi’s Mansion 3DS, WarioWare Gold, Captain Toad Switch, Mario Tennis Aces, and Smash Bros Switch with Splatoon. It’s a good time to be a Nintendo fan. :D

It would have been the best direct ever if they would have announced Phantasy Star Online 2 for NA though.

That was a really weak Nintendo Direct.  Suspicions were true; they had such a packed 2017 lineup that 2018 is slim pickings.  Everything is a remake or a port.  I have no interest in old games that get reintroduced at new release pricing 1-2 years later.  Project Octopath Traveler is the only really interesting release on the menu.  Best part of the video was the Soltaire amiibo!  It's hard to get excited about Mario Tennis when those games haven't been good so far.  No Fire Emblem announcement either :cry:

The direct had some weak moments but overall the list of game releases between may and july is impressive. 

Dat Smash teaser trailer tho'  :bow:

The Nintendo Direct today had little to no surprises. At the same time, I imagine that it is going to be highly effective for most Switch owners, especially any Switch owners who didn't have a Wii U. There were several port announcements, some from other systems, and a few from the Wii U.

Having a new WarioWare game is nice, I look forward to that, though I would prefer that it show up on the Switch. The other 3DS remakes are a wash for me. I'll probably get them eventually, just for my collection. But there is very little need for them. Bowser's Inside Story is a good game, but it was a DS title, and the original version can still be played on the 3DS. Putting out a re-made version of that game is largely pointless. The 3DS version of Luigi's Mansion is also a little puzzling. I get that they already had the engine for Dark Moon running, so it probably wasn't that difficult of a port. But that is another game that would probably be better off on the Switch.

The Smash Bros reveal was exciting, but also very predictable. This was going to happen, it was really just a matter of when. After they re-released Mario Kart last year for an easy win, Smash Bros was guaranteed to happen. It will be so nice to watch my brothers wipe the floor with me. (they were always better at that game than I was) And it will be interesting to see what characters get added to fuel more amiibo hunts.

The Okami port was a pleasant surprise, and should be a very good fit for the Switch. Not a big surprise, it was recently re-made for other systems, but still pleasant.

A decent all-around Nintendo Direct, all things told. Nothing ground-breaking, but non Wii-U owners will have plenty to look forward to.

Looks like more dust for my Switch til July. Maybe I'll go back to Xenoblade. Still can't care enough about it to stay with it for more than a few minutes every time I try to play it. 

bread's done
Back