Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Direct was weak. Most of the games are just ports. Even smash is. The new games don't even look good, like Travis:NMH. They really screwed the pooch on that one. Why did I even buy a Switch? This thing has like 1 game, mario.

Man, I kind of feel like the only one that is excited about a decent amount of the announcements. I guess it helps that I never owned a Wii U and I’m getting access to a lot of the games I really wanted to play on it.

What were most of you expecting or wanting them to announce? I know Fire Emblem was one, but what else?

Man, I kind of feel like the only one that is excited about a decent amount of the announcements. I guess it helps that I never owned a Wii U and I’m getting access to a lot of the games I really wanted to play on it.

What were most of you expecting or wanting them to announce? I know Fire Emblem was one, but what else?
Pretty much. A lot of us own most of these games already. Plus it's hard to get excited about new versions when the old versions can be found for < $20.

Yeah, for those who missed out on the Wii U(which was pretty much everybody), these ports where to be expected. Honestly, my son has most of these titles on his Wii U, but I was happy to see some of the 3DS offerings, as some games I never finished. "N" for sure offered more for the 3DS than expected, and it looks to fill out it's last year with a handful of decent fill in titles.

Why did I even buy a Switch?
I feel the same way. I let my Xenoblade 2 hype get the best of me and then it turned out to be disappointing. Now my Switch is just a dust magnet like the Wii and WiiU before it. Only game I can see myself buying for Switch in the future is the new Metroid Prime.

Florian-Philippot-demande-a-Emmanuel-Macron-de-s-excuser-apres-sa-phrase-sur-les-gens-qui-ne-sont-rien.gif

Looks like Famitsu is holding a questionnaire for thoughts on recent Japanese games from those not living in Japan:

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201803/09153407.html

Not sure if the first question of three favorite games extends to all (Probably) or just 'recent', but eh. Interesting to see they're actually trying to get non-Japanese input. Figured some people may be interested in going through it. It will take some time a little time to complete if you're interested.

I like my Switch. It's cool. Not as cool as the Vita, but it's still good.
agreed, but i dont see enough reason to buy more ports, got a switch for wild but still havent touched it since its just one game and i need more games to start playing on that system

Why did I even buy a Wii U
well i only got it as a backwards wii console, only own 7 physical games but got alot vc on it, finally stored that console to make room for a switch, still was worth getting even if it was niche, just wished nintendo would have treated its customers better by releasing patches for their fixed and improved first party games they rereleased on the switch

I enjoyed the Nintendo Direct, made me more excited for what's to come this year.

My only complaints would be the lack of any Virtual Console announcement (if they are even going to do that) and no new Fire Emblem news.

(Also, the fact that Mario Tennis brought back some form of Power Shots means the game will be great, and an automatic buy for me. Previous games were just normal tennis and were boring to me)

I actually really want a Switch. I'm sticking to my word to get it around when SMT V or whatever it will be called is out. I am working through my other backlogs in the meantime. I'm not desperate to play any games yet.

I am somewhat excited for the Alliance Alive though. These Saga type games are good for me to play a bit and then save. I enjoy the weird battle systems, and I believe this one has a real story, which is nice.

I am also excited for Oppai Fantasy Sideboob Story, but will be the only one admitting that. The first was a really fun and an actual good fantasy story. I'm as surprised as everyone else.

I actually really want a Switch. I'm sticking to my word to get it around when SMT V or whatever it will be called is out. I am working through my other backlogs in the meantime. I'm not desperate to play any games yet.
I mean, you can get one off eBay today for $224. Probably better than you'll see between here and SMT V.

I loved the Octopath Traveler demo so I've already had it preordered for a while, glad it's coming this summer.

And since Romancing Saga got localized, I expect we will hear the same about Scarlet Grace eventually.

Five years prior, the circumstances would not have favored the Switch, and it would not be enjoying the success it currently is. Although, five years prior, the current specs of the Switch would have probably required that Nintendo charge $500+ per unit, so there's also that.

The point I'm actually trying to make is that the current market is primed for providing the Switch with content. Thanks to the direction that video game development was already going in, cross-platform development and scalable design have become much more common. The profitability and ubiquity of downloadable games on the PC have helped to make the PC a standard target platform. The growing popularity of small-scale PCs, such as laptops and tablet/laptop hybrids has kept scalability important for PCs. So games that would have previously been restricted to current-gen consoles and tailored for their specs are instead being released with easily scalable versions.

This is why we are seeing so many ports coming for the Switch. The Nintendo-specific ports are no-brainers. It's their hardware, if anyone could get a game ported to it, it's them. Also, the miniscule install base of the Wii U gives Nintendo a free pass to up-port any game from that platform. It's going to be new to someone. But the real boon for the Switch at the moment is growing support from 3rd parties. And third parties willingness to port their titles is due to the ease of porting, as well as the pre-existing circumstances that make modern ports a more affordable proposition.

If a given game has a PC port, it is increasingly likely to get a Switch release. Doom is an outlying example. Doom didn't get ported because it had a PC release, but because ID always makes scalable engines.

Woohoo!  I finally got the new Nintendo 3DS XL I wanted off of Ebay for $168 with today's 20% coupon.  I've been putting off playing a few games on my old XL.  It's a good day to make a sizeable purchase if there's something sitting in your buying queue.  I didn't want to buy one of those sketchy 'acceptable' condition ones from AWD.  Those types of purchase often lead to disappointment, or fraud. 

Looks like Shining Resonance is finally preorderable at Bestbuy

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
This always seems to happen after I make my Amazon preorder. I had just made my Amazon preorder yesterday (after waiting weeks for BB) and sure enough the next day BB puts it up. Thankfully orders are so easy to cancel on Amazon.

I was hoping for Pokemon, Story of Seasons, and Rune Factory news. Please someone have Rune Factory news.
These three things perfectly describe my hopes for every Nintendo Direct

Also I filled out that Famitsu survey Draekon posted earlier and put Persona 5, Yakuza 0, and Rune Factory 4 - that'd be pretty freakin' cool to be one of the westerners in Weekly Famitsu lol

PSN flash sale has some good titles on sale. Mary Skelter is having it's first deep discount at $12(70% off). It's really good, and I don't mean that in a "It's good for an IF title" but it's actually a legitimately good dungeon crawler for the vita.

Other stuff like Galgun, Criminal Girls, and even some Miku stuff for 3/9 on sale.

I just finished Mary Skelter and I agree it is a really solid DRPG, and you can save anywhere to ease that typical "omg is there a save point ahead" anxiety. It has the fun customization of classes/weapons aspect (which I really liked in DT2-2), and the art is superb and stylistic.

If you want physical for a little more though, cml.

Mary Skelter 2 announced for PS4. Comes with Mary Skelter and a dating sim.

Hero Neptune announced by Artisan Studios. Appears to be 2.5D.

Doesn't say to be the Draconic Launch Edition which it does for the PS4 and XB1 versions..
yeah thats why i stick with amazon, theirs the draconic and the regular edition available for preorder, they may not be getting the draconic edition

2 Denpasoft/Sekai releases this week:

Tropical Liquor

Denpasoft 18+ patch

VNDB

Re;Lord 1 ~The witch of Herfort and stuffed animals~ Steam
Re;Lord 1 ~The witch of Herfort and stuffed animals~ Denpasoft (18+)
VNDB (18+)

Tropical Liquor has you playing a main player called a bum and plays like a HuniePop I believe. I'm not convinced by the game play. It shows you what's in a drink and covers them up and you match the pairs. Looks very boring. It released worldwide for $8.99 for now on Steam and a free 18+ patch on Denpasoft.

Re;Lord 1 is a fantasy story VN with gameplay where you play a guy who has his country taken over by three witches. They are turning people into puppets and this guy has the power to stop them. It's a short one, but could be alright. $17.99 for now on Denpasoft 18+ and $8.99 on Steam.

I think Re;Lord 1 might be worth playing, but the other looks like a poor matching game. Not my most anticipated releases but good enough. 

bread's done
Back