Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm hoping Atlus is thinking the anniversary of the US release of Persona 5 will be a good time to make announcements for the US releases of the Persona dancing games.

Amazon's listing for the recently-announced Sega Genesis Classics (PS4/XB1) now mentions every game included in the collection:

Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle

Alien Soldier

Alien Storm

Altered Beast

Beyond Oasis

Bio-Hazard Battle

Bonanza Bros.

Columns

Columns III: Revenge of Columns

Comix Zone

Crack Down

Decap Attack

Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine

Dynamite Headdy

ESWAT: City Under Siege

Fatal Labyrinth

Flicky

Gain Ground

Galaxy Force II

Golden Axe

Golden Axe II

Golden Axe III

Gunstar Heroes

Kid Chameleon

Landstalker

Light Crusader

Phantasy Star II

Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom

Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium

Ristar

Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi

Shining Force

Shining Force II

Shining in the Darkness

Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master

Sonic 3D Blast

Sonic Spinball

Sonic the Hedgehog

Sonic the Hedgehog 2

Space Harrier II

Streets of Rage

Streets of Rage 2

Streets of Rage 3

Super Thunder Blade

Sword of Vermilion

The Revenge of Shinobi

ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron

ToeJam & Earl

Vectorman

Vectorman 2

Virtua Fighter 2

Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair

Wonder Boy in Monster World

Amazon's listing for the recently-announced Sega Genesis Classics (PS4/XB1) now mentions every game included in the collection:

Alien Soldier

Alien Storm

Altered Beast

Beyond Oasis

Bio-Hazard Battle

Bonanza Bros.

Columns

Comix Zone

Crack Down

Decap Attack

Dynamite Headdy

Fatal Labyrinth

Flicky

Gain Ground

Galaxy Force II

Golden Axe

Golden Axe II

Golden Axe III

Gunstar Heroes

Kid Chameleon

Landstalker

Light Crusader

Phantasy Star II

Ristar

Shining Force

Shining Force II

Shining in the Darkness

Sonic 3D Blast

Sonic Spinball

Sonic the Hedgehog

Sonic the Hedgehog 2

Space Harrier II

Streets of Rage

Streets of Rage 2

Streets of Rage 3

Super Thunder Blade

Sword of Vermilion

The Revenge of Shinobi

ToeJam & Earl

Vectorman

Vectorman 2

Virtua Fighter 2

I cant believe how many times Sega has re-released these games.

About time for DQ11. I will buy that for sure! Also that Sega collection without Sonic 3 and Knuckles is no good. Should have put that over 3D poop blast.

Dragon Quest XI launches for PS4 and PC on September 4 in North America and Europe
:whee: :whee: :whee:

According to this, we're not getting the 3DS version and the Switch version is coming "much later".
PC version is surprising and a welcome one. Though no 3DS version? The hell? Is the Switch version going to be a port of the 3DS version or a downgraded PS4 version? Since the Switch version is being made for western audiences, then I'm going to assume it'll be a downgraded PS4 version.

PC version is surprising and a welcome one. Though no 3DS version? The hell? Is the Switch version going to be a port of the 3DS version or a downgraded PS4 version? Since the Switch version is being made for western audiences, then I'm going to assume it'll be a downgraded PS4 version.
Some suspect that the Switch version will be an upgraded 3DS version because that would likely be the best way to get people to double-dip.

Man, I was looking forward to playing that on my 3DS....ugh.
it's 2018 man...can't really blame them for it. Portable gaming isn't a big deal in the west generally and the Switch has taken the place of the 3ds as the portable machine. I mean, does it make sense to release the same game twice on two different portable machines, especially on one that's near death and ancient?

Whoa whoa whoa, sorry for the double-post, but I just saw this:

Dragon Quest XI launches for PS4 and PC on September 4 in North America and Europe

According to this, we're not getting the 3DS version and the Switch version is coming "much later".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur4MbL2Y8DM
Dude, you totally granted my wish from the other day! A little later than I had hoped but excited that we are definitely getting the PS4 version. Now to hope nobody at work already has a vacation scheduled that week...

it's 2018 man...can't really blame them for it. Portable gaming isn't a big deal in the west generally and the Switch has taken the place of the 3ds as the portable machine. I mean, does it make sense to release the same game twice on two different portable machines, especially on one that's near death and ancient?
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker and Sushido are upcoming games being released on both 3DS and Switch. Nintendo probably could publish it themselves if there is enough interest in it (like they did with the other DQ DS/3DS games). Not counting on it though.

And the game already exists; localizing it isn't nearly as hard as developing the whole thing from scratch.

Hell, they've already got assets to work with because they're localizing it for other platforms.

Some suspect that the Switch version will be an upgraded 3DS version because that would likely be the best way to get people to double-dip.
I swear to God, Square is completely fuck ing useless. LOL

I just knew the 3DS version was never going to see the light of day in NA due to their uber slow development cycle. Why the hell every game at this point isn't translated as they go(most key languages), really is about as dumb as you can get. You don't need a big team, as a few people working from start to finish could handle it. Instead, they wait until they get done, and then of course your looking at years for a translation from scratch. Then of course it's not financially sound, and you get what you have here.

If I had to place bets on the NS version, normally I would say upgraded 3DS version. But since that game is slightly different to the PS4 version, and was designed with dual screens in mind, a PS4 downgrade seems more likely. As it's all about cost, and the 3DS would probably take more work, than the PS4 version.

Man, I was looking forward to playing that on my 3DS....ugh.
Yeah, I know what you mean. A fan translation could still happen, but even if some group takes on the task, it's going to be a long road to say the least.

Alien Soldier
Alien Storm
Altered Beast
Beyond Oasis
Bio-Hazard Battle
Bonanza Bros.
Columns
Comix Zone
Crack Down
Decap Attack
Dynamite Headdy
Fatal Labyrinth
Flicky
Gain Ground
Galaxy Force II
Golden Axe
Golden Axe II
Golden Axe III
Gunstar Heroes
Kid Chameleon
Landstalker
Light Crusader
Phantasy Star II
Ristar
Shining Force
Shining Force II
Shining in the Darkness
Sonic 3D Blast
Sonic Spinball
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Space Harrier II
Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage 2
Streets of Rage 3
Super Thunder Blade
Sword of Vermilion
The Revenge of Shinobi
ToeJam & Earl
Vectorman
Vectorman 2
Virtua Fighter 2
Well, there's 1600 wii points wasted.

Absolutely excited for DQXI on PS4/Steam. Extremely disappointed in the news regarding the 3DS version. 

I'm going to hold out hope the Switch version has the 3ds graphics as an option at least. I'm also preparing myself for the inevitable $200-250 SE store exclusive version although that will be the PS4 for me.

Whoa whoa whoa, sorry for the double-post, but I just saw this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur4MbL2Y8DM
I was never too interested in the Dragon Quest series, but after what I've heard about XI, I was thinking about making it my first purchase in the series...

But without a 3DS version, never mind.

I would've absolutely purchased both the PS4 and 3DS versions, especially since almost the entirely of the DQ series can be played on 3/DS. I guess I should be grateful it's getting localized at all, but damn.

PS+ games for April isn't anything thread related this time unfortunately:

:ps4: Mad Max

:ps4: TrackMania Turbo (Compatible with PSVR)

:ps3: In Space We Brawl

:ps3: Toy Home

:vita: 99 Vidas (Probably Cross-Buy with :ps3: & :ps4:)

:vita: Q*Bert Rebooted (Cross-Buy with :ps3: & :ps4:)

PS+ games for April
zed9sj6gdug01.gif

I'm going to hold out hope the Switch version has the 3ds graphics as an option at least. I'm also preparing myself for the inevitable $200-250 SE store exclusive version although that will be the PS4 for me.
Yeah, I was hoping for this as well, but that feature is the reason why I think they'll offer a dumb down PS4 port. As that feature was a part of the dual screen right? So in loosing that, I see them having to redesign to much to make it financially viable to offer with the NS game. I hope it happens, but this is Square, so I'm not holding my breath. LOL

I was never too interested in the Dragon Quest series, but after what I've heard about XI, I was thinking about making it my first purchase in the series...

But without a 3DS version, never mind.
Dragon Quest 8 on a big screen is a good starting point. You should really give that a whirl to find out if you'll enjoy 11 or not.

Yeah, it wasn't mentioned in the PS Blog post, but their blog is incorrect far too often by missing out details or posting something wrong. Whoever runs their blog or at the very least, gives them the information to post is horrible at their job. Sometimes I notice before I post and sometimes I don't.

I was planning on double dipping for the 3DS/PS4 version of DQ. Well time to save up for the hopefully amazing CE.
Yeah, Square Enix did mention in their email today that there will be a Square Enix store exclusive version of the game, which I imagine will be the CE.

My credit card got compromised because of NISA's security breach. So my Best Buy pre-order for the LE of Code: Realize Future Blessings ended up getting cancelled. Now I not only won't get the 20% off, but the damn thing is sold out literally everywhere. Shit like this is so incredibly frustrating. 

My credit card got compromised because of NISA's security breach. So my Best Buy pre-order for the LE of Code: Realize Future Blessings ended up getting cancelled. Now I not only won't get the 20% off, but the damn thing is sold out literally everywhere. Shit like this is so incredibly frustrating.
Pretty much the same thing that happened to me. Except it was multiple pre-orders, and BB took over a month to send me my new card. I've spent so much time sorting it all out I've considered a class action for data breach, but it would probably just result in more wasted time

Pretty much the same thing that happened to me. Except it was multiple pre-orders, and BB took over a month to send me my new card. I've spent so much time sorting it all out I've considered a class action for data breach, but it would probably just result in more wasted time
Oh, don't get me wrong, it hit me on multiple pre-orders, too. And it appears that Best Buy oversells everything and doesn't hold your place once your card fails. So even the orders that I did update payment on, I still got screwed out of. And Best Buy's customer service reps have been so apathetic about it each time. The whole thing is beyond frustrating. I agree that trying to take any further action would almost certainly result in a waste of time, which is another sad reality.

bread's done
Back