Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Figures are really overpriced these days....glad I barely buy anymore.
These figures are stupidly overpriced. A lot of the more modest figures without the dumb animehueg swords and accessories are usually 9k and under these days. Figure prices used to be about 6-7k a few years ago, but the currency rates in those days were about 70-85 to $1 back then. Nendoroid and Figma prices are pretty high now, but the quality has increased considerably. They used to look like Happy Meal toys.

There's no way I'm buying that BlazBlue Tag limited edition. What garbage. I would've bought it if it were like 65-75 with the artbook and CD, but not for a $100 for some crappy acrylic stands and no DLC.

I mean they really fucked that up, too, because it's hard to get me not to buy a CE for a Japanese fighting game. They just fucked up the marketing for that entire game.

The first three Mega Man X games were great. I thought X4 was kinda weak, and that X5, while it had its flaws, improved on what X4 started.

I really don't care for what I've played of X6, which is why I haven't played anything beyond it (I want to do them in order).

VR Kanojo was released on Steam.

Requires a VR headset

From the creators of Artificial Academy and other hentai games including Rapelay.

Free uncensor patch can be downloaded here.

Check some of the videos in this twitter account(SFW) to see what you can do in this game.
The biggest feature added since launch is the Steam VR support. Those $200 Windows Mixed Reality headsets from last December are compatible.

Metal Max Xeno coming west for PS4 this fall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9njABvEdY8

No Vita version for us, sadly.

NISA already has a Limited Edition on their store for $59.99 (implying the standard release will be $39.99?): https://store.nisamerica.com/metal-max-xeno-limited-edition-ps4

mmx_full_le_glamshot_white_esrb.jpg

I was never particularly big into Metal Saga back on the PS2, but I'm definitely interested in giving this one a try. I remember importing the NDS one and never got around to playing it. Probably for the better.

Excellent. That Punch Line game supposedly helps complete or at least works off of the anime story line. I may need to re watch as I remember very little haha.

Tch. The MonHun Spring Blossom Event limited bounties have been fully accessible to HR13 and over so far, but this week the only high rank challenges are HR16+, and that's been one of the bounties three days out of eight so far. I know I'm going through the story abnormally slowly, but I've already gone up 2HR for the sake of this event, and I'm not rushing through the rest of the story just to get some more spring blossom tickets.

I've already gotten enough tickets for the armor sets, but it's kind of lame for lower rank hunters who haven't sunk as much time into the event as me.

The King of Fighters '97 GM on Steam now has a new roll back netcode courtesy of CodeMystics (they did this on their own time w/o financial support from SNK):

https://steamcommunity.com/app/702120/discussions/0/1696043806570235127/

If you're an SNK fan please consider showing your support in the thread above, as CodeMystics said they would forward this feedback to SNK to make the case for upgrading the netcode of their other games.

Tch. The MonHun Spring Blossom Event limited bounties have been fully accessible to HR13 and under so far, but this week the only high rank challenges are HR16+, and that's been one of the bounties three days out of eight so far. I know I'm going through the story abnormally slowly, but I've already gone up 2HR for the sake of this event, and I'm not rushing through the rest of the story just to get some more spring blossom tickets.

I've already gotten enough tickets for the armor sets, but it's kind of lame for lower rank hunters who haven't sunk as much time into the event as me.
Better get that megaman set for that palico and the arm gun!

Niche VN releases from Mangagamer, Denpasoft, etc... this week:

Draekon already put but Mangagamer released Supipara Volume 2, which is now available on Steam.

Steam link

Spoder will like this, but they also announced The House in Fata Morgana: A Requiem for Innocence release date. It releases May 17, 2018, and can be ordered on Steam or from the Mangagamer Site

Steam link

Mangagamer link (NSFW)

That's it for releases. Very light week. 

Nice....honestly...this is blasphemous, but I wanted those more than 3. I really have 0 hype for 3....but I enjoyed the original and saw my bro play through most of the 2nd. Was fun watching, but I want to play too heh. 

Finally finished Fureraba. Honestly this VN was a lot better than I thought it would be. The main character is kind of silly and over the top, but the feelings and progressions of the relationships is really good in this one. The drama is not over exaggerated and honestly it's just people overcoming stuff they already had instead of ridiculous scenarios like overworking oneself to collapse because the person went to college (so stupid). Just a fun and pretty long story. I think it took me around like 20-25 hours to finish. I read very quickly and I skipped a bit here and there. I'd recommend buying it, especially since if you still buy it now you will get the fan disc when it releases. The localization wasn't perfect, but it was good enough and not totally broken English. 8/10

Mega Drive Mini, Shenmue I & II HD, New Sakura Taisen, and More Announced by Sega

VR Figure from Shining for PlayStation VR Is a Close Encounter with Your Shining Resonance Waifu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGHuvm9SpBE

PS4 Exclusive Border Break Gets Japanese Release Date, New Trailers and More

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc2G-a3afJw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqAwEBWbwsc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnIyIHxwVaE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lvEHY8LxMA

Check Out the Mega Drive Mini in First Teaser Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rykDYB37GyM

I just want an affordable HDMI cable/converter for my Dreamcast so I can play Shenmue 1 & 2 I already have. Plus all the great other exclusive games the system has. It is actually one of my favorite systems.

I'm on the fence about a few things in the PSN flash sale, somebody convince me one way or another about the following.

Nights of Azure
Rose in the Twilight
School Girl/Zombie Hunter
Trillion: God of Destruction
Yomawari: Night Alone

I seem to be one of the few that does not like Trillion. While the story and characters are decent, the actual game play with the stat raising and Trillion battling is extremely repetitive. It really should have been a pure VN, and I would have it scored it likely to passing grades then. If you don't mind those horrible battles, the story and characters are well done and it hits a heart string now and then.

I'm on the fence about a few things in the PSN flash sale, somebody convince me one way or another about the following.

Nights of Azure
Rose in the Twilight
Skip Nights of Azure, it's not worth the price it's at. Not a great game, and if you had to have it, would wait til $10 or under. Also, Trillion not a good game either so could be skipped.

Rose/Yomawari are good pickups, though if you don't already have HTOLniq, you should nab the bundle that includes that and Yomawari.

Indifferent on Schoolgirl Zombie Hunter. On the one hand, it's schoolgirls and zombie. On the other, it's a budget title and gameplay seems so-so.

Nights of Azure
Rose in the Twilight
Nights of Azure is fun, but its not a very complicated game. Its gameplay is okay, but the selling parts is its OST and the setting.

Yomawari and Rose in the Twilight are basically puzzle games with a good atmosphere.

SG/ZH is a fanservice arcade-like game. Its plot is bad, its sound effects aren't that great, but its gameplay is decent.

Trillion is a strange beast. On its surface, its a Princess Maker style game. Beneath it... its basically just you trying to figure out how to break the game so you can see the endings. But if you want the good endings...

you have to fail. Which means growing attached to the girls and watching them die horrific deaths. Every single one of them. Some more than once. And then your family, including the dog.

All in all, barring Trillion, they're good for what they are. I'd avoid Trillion.

Despite having Japanese voices included in Shenmue I & II, I'm playing at least the first one with English voices anyway because it belonged firmly in the so-bad-it's-good category.

I just have to chime in with how painfully forgettable Nights of Azure is. The game play is boring within an hour. The story is generic. The presentation is barely ps3 level. It's a cheap, poorly made game. It only found an audience because of weebs wanting animu tits and seeing that Gust made it. I bought it for that very reason and regretted it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

I liked nights of azure, it was a fun game to play. I enjoyed collecting and leveling up my monsters to fight with me.
It's a simple action jrpg. It's not open world. Just a somewhat linear level structure of multiple stages which I liked.

Today's Fanatical Star Deal is SAO: Hollow Realization for $27.49

Still too high for me to bite, but in case someone wants it.

Rose/Yomawari are good pickups, though if you don't already have HTOLniq, you should nab the bundle that includes that and Yomawari.
Didn't notice there was a bundle. I have Rose already but was looking to get the older ones. The bundle is the same as getting them separately though.

I hope the new Sakura Wars game is for console and not mobile. And on PS4/Switch
And on PC please. I really hope we get Galgun 2 and Valkyria chronicles 4 PC announcements soon.

bread's done
Back