Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Kingdom Hearts III Premium Showcase previews, gameplay, and screenshots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvWwAfTYwiA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cup9vSD-ys8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-YhIol5bg0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v80DfhYQffk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ztWRs4PQEY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9LkyG_thfA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNSLY_5KHQo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzHDv_LwCFE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKcs_oTX_Pk

Hideo Kojima has Confirmed a New Death Stranding Trailer for E3

Kingdom Hearts III Director Tetsuya Nomura Says Release Date Reveal is Expected “Early Next Month”

Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk ‘The Wrong Idea’ gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPyam7VJtgA

Everyone knows i'm an advocate for 18+ content in games, especially if that's what the game originally had.

Whatever it was, the lock down started after Mangagamer was forced to remove Maidens of Michael, which I've heard is a pretty pure Yuri game, from Steam. I felt bad for Mangagamer, being an advocate for them as a company, especially since it's very vanilla and I believe doesn't even have nudity on Steam.

We're just going back to the old days where VNs with eroge content (even if the Steam version is all ages) will be extra niche again, and nudity is bad. I wonder if this will affect bigger games like Witcher 3 though. Likely not, but Steam has a huge stigma versus these games now.

I'm all for games that are dreck like Sakuragames and other oh man looks at all them 18++++++++++++++++ situations games to be removed from Steam. But those are just garbage translations/games period.

Whatever the news, I will report for the main games being released from Jast USA, Denpasoft, and Mangagamer at least, like I have been doing.

I have to wonder where this sudden purge is stemming from. I'm also curious how many games will end up effected by it.
giphy.gif

kickstarters wise stock comparison would only make sense if all stocks were ponzi schemes and didn't have accountability and laws enforcing.

As for the removal steam games stuff from what I heard it was due to new laws in eu.

I'm definitely of the opinion the games on Steam are toned down enough. I'm possibly in the minority that I prefer the Steam versions over the uncensored versions for an eroge. But taking a game that already isn't explicit and further toning down the adult themes is very undesirable.

So Vita physical game production is ending in the west, Steam is cracking down on sexual content in games, and Best Buy is (rumored to be) ending GCU.

The weeb-pocalypse is happening too quickly for me.

NBO0zxB.jpg

I was hoping that STEAM acceptance would finally mean eroge would start getting the respect it deserves, that a bigger audience and more mainstream acceptance would translate to higher profile titles and higher sales.  It took years to get STEAM to even admit that Visual Novels were games, and longer til they accepted any kind of sexual content.  Well, looks like that's all going down the toilet and I'll end up back bitching about Baldr Sky on fantranslation threads on 4chan.  Whatever, I can wait for the next chance to push 18+ into the limelight, I'm not giving up.

Google Express still offers their 20% off coupons occasionally so that can at least be used for recent games.

I will always support my VNs, eroges, niche games, and any AAA I think I will like, along with various indie games here and there. I will buy every niche game I can, that I want, even close to full price, but everything else, will be a pick and choose. I have GCU for about another year, but i'm pretty sure Amazon execs are happy and will easily get rid of the pre-order discount.

Curses, my GCU ends May 24!
Why didn't i renew earlier!?
Also, I hope Amazon doesn't ends their discount program, or else it's back to slickdeals camping.

Yea, it's a horrible week for gamers. What's next, multiplayer-only games?
I dunno if it counts, but Activision announced Call of Duty Black Ops 4 will be scrapping its Campaign for the 1st time and will replace it with a battle royale mode. So that's one major franchise that's moving on completely.

I dunno if it counts, but Activision announced Call of Duty Black Ops 4 will be scrapping its Campaign for the 1st time and will replace it with a battle royale mode. So that's one major franchise that's moving on completely.
3 zombies maps on disc though wooooohooooo

weird to see them skip a campaign though, very weird

The end of new single-player games is probably what it would take for me to get through my backlog.
Well, we've already seen the future. It's just multiplayer VR.

demolition-man_00011.jpg

3 zombies maps on disc though wooooohooooo

weird to see them skip a campaign though, very weird
Sort of, but given the insane popularity of recent games, from Rocket League, to Overwatch, to Peanutbutter Battlegrounds, to Fortnite, it makes sense.

Just waiting for Neptunia or Bullet Girls to have battle royale now. ;)

Bullmoose.com can also be viewed as an alternative to Best Buy.  Their prices are usually a few dollars below retail ($19.99 games are $18.97, $49.99 games are $45.97, etc).  They don't charge tax to most people and have free shipping over $30.  They usually ship before release date so you get the item at release or a couple days late.  They also have their own rewards program.  I've been using them to pick up some cheap catalog titles now, along with some Blu Rays which they occasionally have deals on.  When my GCU expires I will probably do most of my preorders with them.

Weekly VN type news:

Mangagamer released The House in Fata Morgana: A Requiem for Innocence, a fan disk for The House in Fata Morgana. I need to finish the original game, but it's good for sure. I know Spoder has been waiting for this one. Has a 10% discount on Steam and Mangagamer.

Steam

Mangagamer (NSFW)

VNDB (NSFW)

They also put up A Tower of Five Hearts for pre-order releasing May 24th, 2018. It's some doujin looking VN about 5 kingdoms and yuri with princesses looking to marry or something. 10% discount on Mangagamer.

Mangagamer (NSFW)
VNDB (NSFW)

Sekai Project put up a demo for a Steam Yuri VN called Heart of the Woods. The art looks nice at least.

Steam

Mangagamer Anime Central Announcements:

Link to blog (NSFW)

2 VNs

Sisterly Bliss (TsuiYuri) VNDB (NSFW)

Waffle’s Funbag Fantasy 2 VNDB (NSFW)

The first is a Yuri VN about 2 twins who are insperable, and the mom chastises them saying that that they are codependent on each other. After this their relationship changes. I'm not into Yuri games, but it looks cute enough to play maybe someday down the road.

The second is actually a prequel to Funbag Fantasy set 150 years before the original, when humans and daemons lived with each other. Our new hero, Ruin Dimidium, has graduated from the Royal Abbey and been relegated to Boobshire, where he must deal with bandits or lose his station. What fate awaits Ruin on his journey full of succubi, bosom elves and knights, mermaids, and even royalty?! I think this game has an alternative IF version with possibly updated visuals. I will support it, though I still haven't finished the last funbag fantasy that came out. I didn't like Lute too much in that game.

Overall alright announcements, though I kind of wished for another pure love eroge or something. I do like the Funbag Fantasy series, with the first being excellent.

Bullmoose.com can also be viewed as an alternative to Best Buy. Their prices are usually a few dollars below retail ($19.99 games are $18.97, $49.99 games are $45.97, etc). They don't charge tax to most people and have free shipping over $30. They usually ship before release date so you get the item at release or a couple days late. They also have their own rewards program. I've been using them to pick up some cheap catalog titles now, along with some Blu Rays which they occasionally have deals on. When my GCU expires I will probably do most of my preorders with them.
Wow can't believe I didn't think of them when I saw the GCU news. Thanks for the reminder. Funny part is, I literally have to drive by Bullmoose on my way to best buy. I used to shop at them more pre GCU. They always had new games a few bucks cheaper, and a great selection of used. Plus they stay open to midnight on nights stuff launched. Only downfall I remember is stuff stays at the retail price a very long time, even way after it had a price drop everywhere else. That might be different now though.

Thanks for the Bullmoose link, I hadn't heard of them. My GCU is good until December 22nd this year, so I have some time left. I like the idea of switching to support my local game store, but they don't make much at all from new games. Unless it's a huge release they also don't know if they're getting a game until just a few days before release, but the advantage is that they'll totally sell it early.

I may try to switch to Target since I'm in the unique situation I can use my wife's employee discount to get ~13% off with red card. But they're kinda bad at video games. They still haven't shipped my Battle Chasers Nightwar for Switch yet, and on release day earlier this week they still had the release date on their website using a placeholder date in November.

Looking at bullmoose, are their pre owned games usually complete?
You may already know about them, but if you're looking at pre-owned games online and care about condition I'd recommend eStarland.com - they specify what each pre-owned game comes with, and they generally don't accept awful quality trade-ins. They won't accept a trade in as 'complete' if the case has stickers or sticker residue on it, for example.

You may already know about them, but if you're looking at pre-owned games online and care about condition I'd recommend eStarland.com - they specify what each pre-owned game comes with, and they generally don't accept awful quality trade-ins. They won't accept a trade in as 'complete' if the case has stickers or sticker residue on it, for example.
Thanks, haven't heard of either actually.

Bullmoose.com can also be viewed as an alternative to Best Buy. Their prices are usually a few dollars below retail ($19.99 games are $18.97, $49.99 games are $45.97, etc). They don't charge tax to most people and have free shipping over $30. They usually ship before release date so you get the item at release or a couple days late. They also have their own rewards program. I've been using them to pick up some cheap catalog titles now, along with some Blu Rays which they occasionally have deals on. When my GCU expires I will probably do most of my preorders with them.
Thanks for posting as I hadn't heard of them before either. I'd be willing to give them a shot but that chance of getting a new release "a couple days late" is concerning. A few dollars savings wouldn't be worth the extra wait for something like Dragon Quest XI. Now Best Buy did ship me a game late once but otherwise I got things on release date or even the day before several times.

though I kind of wished for another pure love eroge or something
Are you implying there's any purer love than yuri twincest? Because if so, sir, I'm calling you out as a liar and a fraud.

Valve Sends Out Warnings To Games With Suggestive Content
Keko said:
New update: HuniePop's dev, Mangagamer (Kindred Spirits) and more got emails from Valve, saying they should completely disregard their previous emails and that this whole thing was just a mistake by Valve. Valve are re-evaluating numerous games.
If you scroll down past the article to the featured comment (quoted above), you'll find a bunch of links to devs reporting Steam's response to their inquiries. In short, it sounds like it could just be typical PR bullshit to try to lessen the backlash Steam is undoubtedly getting from weebs across the world, but it's perhaps at least possible things aren't as apocalyptic as they initially appeared.

I've only ever ordered one preowned game from them, and it came complete. It was a great deal too - Dying Light: The Following Enhanced Edition (PS4) for $5.97. That said, I don't believe they advertise they will all come complete, so YMMV.

So I opened the Steam client to grab a temporarily free game, went to the store page, and [customspoiler=this]
vurKYHj.png

[/customspoiler] is what I was greeted with.

You, uh, might want to avoid clicking that spoiler at work.

Again this week is mostly ports/re-releases/remasters. I doubt the Bloodstained game is particularly long, but it should be interesting regardless. I will recommend Defender's Quest if you never played it before and don't mind Tower Defense games.

Other stuff that released without warning last week or I overlooked it (Assume PC unless otherwise noted):
- The House in Fata Morgana: A Requiem for Innocence (Visual Novel)

Weekly Releases (May 20th - May 26th)

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon
- Platform(s): PS4, Vita, Switch, XB1, PC
- Genre: Metroidvania? / Action Platformer
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A
- Comments: Digital only.

Cosmic Star Heroine (LRG Release)
- Platform(s): PS4, Vita
- Genre: RPG
- Comments: Physical release by Limited Run Games.

Antiquia Lost (LRG Release)
- Platform(s): PS4, Vita
- Comments: Physical release by Limited Run Games. KEMCO mobile port.

One Piece: Grand Cruise
- Platform(s): PS4 VR
- Genre: Action

Shio
- Platform(s): PS4
- Genre: Action Platformer / Challenge
- Comments: Digital only. Previously released on PC.

Super Hyperactive Ninja
- Platform(s): PS4, XB1, PC
- Genre: Action Platformer

Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten DX Edition
- Platform(s): PS4
- Genre: Tower Defense / RPG
- Comments: Digital only. Previously released on XB1. Non-DX Edition previously released on a bunch of other platforms.

Dark Souls Remastered
- Platform(s): PS4, XB1, PC
- Genre: Action RPG

Dungeon Rushers
- Platform(s): PS4, XB1, Switch
- Genre: RPG / Strategy
- Comments: Digital only. Previously released on PC.

PixelJunk Monsters 2
- Platform(s): PS4, Switch, PC
- Genre: Tower Defense
- Demo: Yes.

Stardew Valley
- Platform(s): Vita
- Genre: Simulation / Farming / RPG
- Comments: Digital only. Cross-buy with PS4, but not Cross-Save. Will not receive the multiplayer update. Previously released on PS4, XB1, Switch & PC.

7'scarlet
- Platform(s): Vita
- Genre: Visual Novel / Otome

Saturday Morning RPG (LRG Release)
- Platform(s): Switch
- Comments: Physical release by Limited Run Games.

Mega Man Legacy Collection 1 + 2
- Genre: Action Platformer
- Comments: If you buy physical, the first is physical while the second is a digital code. eShop will list them separately.

Runner3
- Platform(s): Switch, PC
- Genre: Rhythm Platformer

N++: Ultimate Edition
- Genre: Platformer / Challenge
- Online: Local only.
- Comments: Previously released on PS4, XB1 & PC.

Boy's Love
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Visual Novel / Yaoi?

Catmaze
- Genre: Metroidvania

Anime show 动漫时装秀
- Platform(s): PC VR
- Genre: Simulation / Trash

Sakura Sadist
- Genre: Visual Novel

Heartbreak High: A Break-Up Simulator
- Genre: Visual Novel / Unique Artstyle

Untouchable
- Genre: Adventure / Action
- Comments: Early access.

Gansel and Hretel
- Genre: Kinetic Novel?

Past Releases
May 13th - May 19th
May 6th - May 12th
April 29th - May 5th
April 22nd - April 28th
April 15th - April 21st

So I opened the Steam client to grab a temporarily free game, went to the store page, and [customspoiler=this]
vurKYHj.png

[/customspoiler] is what I was greeted with.

You, uh, might want to avoid clicking that spoiler at work.
I see that one on the front page of Steam quite often because I click way too many games on a weekly basis. I even have RPGMaker Games, Visual Novels & Free to Play tags blocked in my Steam preferences too, but they show up anyways on its front page. Though I never use the Steam client browser because it's pretty terrible.

Never ordered from them before. How is their shipping quality? How do they ship out single games or blu-ray singles. When do they upgrade to using a box, etc.

Never ordered from them before. How is their shipping quality? How do they ship out single games or blu-ray singles. When do they upgrade to using a box, etc.
In my experience they only use bubble mailers for small game, CD or movie orders, though that's not any different than Best Buy or Amazon. That said I've never gotten anything damaged from them. Plus they have great customer service so I imagine a replacement would be pretty easy if it came damaged.

I've never seen a game without the case and insert in the store. The reason is, if you try to trade in disc only at Bullmoose they only give you like 1 cent no matter what it is, so no one trades in there if they only have the disc. So the odds are really low for you to come across disc only for any of their physical media.

I've never seen a game without the case and insert in the store. The reason is, if you try to trade in disc only at Bullmoose they only give you like 1 cent no matter what it is, so no one trades in there if they only have the disc. So the odds are really low for you to come across disc only for any of their physical media.
Cool, gives me a bit more confidence in buying some games, thanks.

In my experience they only use bubble mailers for small game, CD or movie orders, though that's not any different than Best Buy or Amazon. That said I've never gotten anything damaged from them. Plus they have great customer service so I imagine a replacement would be pretty easy if it came damaged.
Thanks. I'll give them a try next time amazon is out of something I want.

bread's done
Back