Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice. I wonder how many different versions the game will get down the line though....(Plus, Last Round, etc). Also, let's take a guess on how many DLC items will be released during the game's life. Probably 1000+ individual items lol (since DOA 5 had more than 1000 individual dlc items)

Wasn't expecting that. But I have a feeling it'll be like the EN release of Girls Frontline and be censored. If so, I'll be sticking with the JP version.

They also announced their boobies won't jiggle as much and costumes won't be too revealing.
The developers voiced a similar approach when DoA5 was first announced but later backtracked, so we'll see if they stick to it this time.

They also announced their boobies won't jiggle as much and costumes won't be too revealing.
I highly doubt they'll tone down the costumes, they'll just make the revealing ones available as (more expensive) DLC.

I'm looking forward to DOA 6, but I really wish they'd implement a custom gear system like Injustice 2, or a multi-style fighting setup similar to Mortal Kombat X. I love DOA's combat and countering mechanics, but I'm hoping they'd do something to mix it up and make it stand out from DOA 5.

I like really like doa5, it's a great 3d fighter can't wait for doa6.

I don't like injustice or mk's fighting mechanics enough to be copied by others, i find it too stiff for doa. I like doa's fluid style much better, akin to tekken.

I hope jiggle mechanics return and spread to all fighters and games.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1005088282374336513
hZaLlI9.jpg

Just got a PS4 in the last ebay 20% coupon sale. Feel free to recommend me exclusive(not on PC) weeb games. I've already ordered Girls und Panzer as its the main reason I got the system. Looking to get Gravity Rush 2.

Can anyone confirm if the amazon prime discount is showing for the Valkyria Chronicles 4 LE?

Just got a PS4 in the last ebay 20% coupon sale. Feel free to recommend me exclusive(not on PC) weeb games. I've already ordered Girls und Panzer as its the main reason I got the system. Looking to get Gravity Rush 2.

Can anyone confirm if the amazon prime discount is showing for the Valkyria Chronicles 4 LE?
Prime discount dont apply to collector edition

Ones that aren't on the PC, eh? Here's some I recommend as well as general recommendations that you'll likely see from others:

Utawarerumono (Mask of Deception & Mask of Truth) if you didn't play the Vita version.

God of War

Odin Sphere Leithrasir

Bloodborne

Horizon Zero Dawn

Persona 5

Disgaea 5 (Probably coming to PC eventually?)

Ratchet & Clank

Others I don't really recommend, but could possibly interest you. I didn't care for them personally:

Star Ocean 5

Summon Night 6

Yakuza 0, 6, Kiwami 1, and Kiwami 2 eventually are my recommendations. All good PS4 exclusives, though that's my Yakuza fanboy showing. Eventually 3,4,5 will hopefully be released as well.

Gravity Rush 2 is legitimately terrible and I don't recommend it at all. Great character, colorful world, the flying is fun, but the story, quests, and combat are all really bad.

Japanese games I'd recommend:

Hatsune Miku (Diva X over Future/Colorful Tone)

Monster Hunter World

Final Fantasy World

Yakuzas

Dragon Quest Heroes if you're into those types. (Berserk might also be an attractive alternative but I've not played it.)

+1 on Horizon Zero Dawn, even better if you get the complete edition if you like what you see and God of War as we.ll.

Bloodborne and Ni-oh are fantastic if you have any interest in the From Software souls games.

Hellblade is another good game to play if you are into some non-traditional gameplay/storytelling, although it is digital only.

Ones that aren't on the PC, eh? Here's some I recommend as well as general recommendations that you'll likely see from others:

Utawarerumono (Mask of Deception & Mask of Truth) if you didn't play the Vita version.

God of War

Odin Sphere Leithrasir

Bloodborne

Horizon Zero Dawn

Persona 5

Ratchet & Clank

Others I don't really recommend, but could possibly interest you. I didn't care for them personally:

Star Ocean 5

Summon Night 6
i think underwater ray romano is on pc as I remember seeing them on sale last month or maybe the month prior.

Monster Hunter World
Final Fantasy World
Dragon Quest Heroes if you're into those types. (Berserk might also be an attractive alternative but I've not played it.)
All of the above are actually on PC too. Monster Hunter World isn't out yet on PC though and any Koei Tecmo published games are pretty sub-par on PC port wise. There's a surprising amount of Japanese games on PC these days, but it's still quite selective as we don't have Dragon Quest Builders nor any Atlus games for example.

i think underwater ray romano is on pc as I remember seeing them on sale last month or maybe the month prior.
Neither of them are on PC.

You should buy Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition. It is $20 right now

Overwatch double xp weekend is live across all platforms. Not sure it's appropriate here, but since Draekon usually announces stuff dealing with the game, I figured it's cool.

^ Yeah, feel free to post whatever. I wasn't going to and probably won't for the Sym rework that's currently on the PTR when it goes live unless it hits with an event or a new map.

Here's two E3 2018 trailers prior to the E3 flood next week:

[customspoiler='Indivisible']
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIUSU2KTjjg[/customspoiler]

[customspoiler='Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom']
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oqeAFs2wc8[/customspoiler]

Monster Boy is looking pretty good. I haven't played the Wonder Boy remake yet, but probably will in the semi-near future.

^The PTR also has role queue on it for LFG, very similar to queueing up for instances in WoW. I think it's cool so you can find a more complete and flexible group. They also have team mate ranking on it to give feedback to players. Ultimately, you can get "rewards" for sticking to your role and being flexible. I dont know what that implies, or what the rewards will be, but I think the game is heading in a better direction for Comp.

^The PTR also has role queue on it for LFG, very similar to queueing up for instances in WoW. I think it's cool so you can find a more complete and flexible group. They also have team mate ranking on it to give feedback to players. Ultimately, you can get "rewards" for sticking to your role and being flexible. I dont know what that implies, or what the rewards will be, but I think the game is heading in a better direction for Comp.
Not necessarily rewards for sticking to your role, but more to do with being a good teammate overall with the new social changes based on what I've heard of the changes being made to social on PTR.

Not necessarily rewards for sticking to your role, but more to do with being a good teammate overall with the new social changes based on what I've heard of the changes being made to social on PTR.
I'm cool with that. Any way they can encourage accountability is ok with me!

Awesome! Now we can get some games in, neighbor! Gimme your PSN ID, and I can add you to the niche community too.

These are a couple I saw when I looked through my trophy list, not sure if all of them are PS4 exclusives though.

Shadow of the Colossus Remake

Touhou Genso Rondo Bullet Ballet (Neat little bullet hell versus fighter, but get it only if its cheap, there's not much of a story)

Digimon Cyber Sleuth

Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax Ignition (Import)

Valkyria Chronicles Remastered (If you never played the original, this one runs pretty smooth)

Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 (This one is really just to experience the full game in all its glory, I know you have the Vita version, but if you ever find this cheap, its worth it just to see all the quips and quirks the PS4 version has.)

Until Dawn (Not a Japanese game, but it is niche, and has a lot of story and cinematic elements that few other games do, so give this little gem a try if you find it cheap)

Other than that, the others mostly covered them all, and there might be a few PSVR games too if you are interested in that. Hope it helps!

Prime discount dont apply to collector edition
Oh. I just saw GCU is also going away. For people with GCU, could you get the discount on the LE?

God of War

Odin Sphere Leithrasir

Bloodborne

Horizon Zero Dawn

Persona 5

Ratchet & Clank

Star Ocean 5

Summon Night 6
Forgot to mention if it's on vita, I probably played it.

I'm still holding hope that Star Ocean 5, Galgun 2 and Valkyria Chronicles 4 get a PC release.

Stop eating, drinking, : fuck:ing and breathing, and go play Persona 5.
Also played P5 on PS3. But I'm thinking of double dipping since it would probably look better at a higher resolution and I want to remote play it on the vita.

+1 on Horizon Zero Dawn, even better if you get the complete edition if you like what you see and God of War as we.ll.

Bloodborne and Ni-oh are fantastic if you have any interest in the From Software souls games.

Hellblade is another good game to play if you are into some non-traditional gameplay/storytelling, although it is digital only.
You should buy Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition. It is $20 right now
I am considering it b-but there's no cute anime girls in it.

Awesome! Now we can get some games in, neighbor! Gimme your PSN ID, and I can add you to the niche community too.

These are a couple I saw when I looked through my trophy list, not sure if all of them are PS4 exclusives though.

Shadow of the Colossus Remake

Touhou Genso Rondo Bullet Ballet (Neat little bullet hell versus fighter, but get it only if its cheap, there's not much of a story)

Digimon Cyber Sleuth

Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax Ignition (Import)

Valkyria Chronicles Remastered (If you never played the original, this one runs pretty smooth)

Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 (This one is really just to experience the full game in all its glory, I know you have the Vita version, but if you ever find this cheap, its worth it just to see all the quips and quirks the PS4 version has.)

Until Dawn (Not a Japanese game, but it is niche, and has a lot of story and cinematic elements that few other games do, so give this little gem a try if you find it cheap)

Other than that, the others mostly covered them all, and there might be a few PSVR games too if you are interested in that. Hope it helps!
You reminded me I still have the Honoka bikini from the vita version of DOAX3. I hope the redemption code didn't expire.

My PSN ID is motaku96 just like always. I've always had it but I guess I couldn't get in on the community stuff that's only on the PS4 is all.

All of the above are actually on PC too. Monster Hunter World isn't out yet on PC though and any Koei Tecmo published games are pretty sub-par on PC port wise. There's a surprising amount of Japanese games on PC these days, but it's still quite selective as we don't have Dragon Quest Builders nor any Atlus games for example.

Neither of them are on PC.
Hmm maybe it was a deal for them via the website but redeemed through ps4 or whatever then? As I know I saw them on sale somewhere.

Gravity Rush 2 is legitimately terrible and I don't recommend it at all. Great character, colorful world, the flying is fun, but the story, quests, and combat are all really bad.

Japanese games I'd recommend:

Hatsune Miku (Diva X over Future/Colorful Tone)
Monster Hunter World
Final Fantasy World
Yakuzas
Only get Berserk if you are a diehard fan of the anime. It’s on the low end of the quality Musou games.

Diva X was a mistake and you'd be making a bad purchasing decision to get it over the Future Tone/Color Tone package. Not only do you get a larger number of songs to play with FT/CT, including a higher level of quality songs, but you also don't have to deal with the goofy story, the RNG costume unlock process, or the medley abominations. I guess the one thing  X has going for it is that it is easier?

Took advantage of the 20% off coupon ebay had the other day and finally pulled the trigger on an OLED Vita. I look forward to collecting all the JRPG's to add to my never ending backlog. I may even glance at them from time to time in approval. 

so what is the countdown to vesperia remasters supposed announcement?
If it's at E3, I'm hoping the Sony Conference - assuming that it's not still under the Microsoft-only exclusivity after all these years. Tales of Festival is also coming up, so who knows :D I just really hope it's ToV Remaster and not some silly mobile game. I'm trying not to get my hopes up yet.

Do I buy it or wait just a little longer.

Neo Geo Mini lineup confirmed, launch schedule detailed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdINRIwjmwI

11 Minutes of Brand New Code Vein Gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bITYFB6ASno

New Dead or Alive 6 Gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fflSVwuUWxM
Neat but I still haven't opened my Neo Geo Gold X.

I bought it, that's a solid price and the "standard edition" is already being listed so those are going to disappear suddenly at some point.

Outside of Muv-Luv finally hitting the Vita, it's a fairly barren week unless you're interested in Bomberman. I'm undecided on whether or not I stop listing visual novels that have the same exact aesthetic that Angel's Love and Boy's Love have. They use the exact same UI and just use stock image backgrounds it seems. I'm guessing they came with whatever Visual Novel engine they're using, similar to many RPG Maker games. There have been a lot of them lately.

Other stuff that released without warning last week or I overlooked it (Assume PC unless otherwise noted):
- Moss (VR | Action Adventure)

Weekly Releases (June 10th - June 16th)

Omega Strike
- Platform(s): PS4, XB1
- Genre: Metroidvania / Action
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A
- Comments: Previously released on PC.

Super Bomberman R
- Platform(s): PS4, XB1, PC
- Genre: Action / Strategy
- Comments: Previously released on Switch.

Muv-Luv
- Platform(s): Vita
- Genre: Visual Novel

Muv-Luv Alternative
- Platform(s): Vita

Hexologic
- Platform(s): Switch
- Genre: Puzzle / Atmospheric

Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles
- Genre: Open World Adventure / Crafting
- Comments: Previously released on PS4 & PC.

ACA NeoGeo: Super Sidekicks 3
- Genre: Sports / Soccer
- Comments: Digital only.

Beekyr Reloaded
- Genre: SHMUP
- Online: Local only.

Football Girls: Dream Team
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Puzzle / Match 3

Angel's Love

Survive in Debris
- Genre: Survival / RPG
- Comments: Early access.

Boy's Love
- Genre: Visual Novel / Yaoi

Higurashi When They Cry Hou - Ch.6 Tsumihoroboshi
- Genre: Visual Novel / Horror
- Comments: MangaGamer Published. Second chapter of four in the Kai arc.

Keiko Everlasting

Past Releases
June 3rd - June 9th
May 28th - June 2nd
May 20th - May 26th
May 13th - May 19th
May 6th - May 12th

Kind of disappointing. Thought I'd be playing this around thanksgiving this year.
Yeah, I haven't really followed Square-Enix much since both companies merged. But both on their own, where two of my favs during the 16-bit era. The one thing I have watched and followed, has been their big budget games that are delayed for ages, and not to great once released. In this day and age, don't even bother to get excited for one of their games, until it is actually on store shelves. LOL

bread's done
Back