Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I loved Shenmue when it came out, but I had an EGM subscription and it was hyped forever before it came out. I think there was a mention of the game having a castle with over 200 rooms that you could actually go inside of at some point. I enjoyed a lot of it, but there are so many parts that make you just ask yourself what the fuck you're even doing. If Shenmue 3 has a two hour forklift simulator before you fight Lan Di then it might be a dealbreaker for me. 

FIGURE-040587.jpg

Guys......I NEED IT!

December is so far away....

amiami Link
Futaba's best girl, but I have more than enough nendos. I do however have this pre-ordered:

Amakuni-Sakura-Futaba-AMAK-35-11.jpg

Yu-no remake is a great announcement. Not so great is Shibuya Scramble's release date. I think it's getting a wait for sale from me, as September is just bad.

Yeah, I was so excited when I heard about that Kill la Kill game.

But now that we see it in action, I'm not so sure it's as good as it could have been,

I was thinking something like Dragonball FighterZ, with 2D fighting. But instead we have that weird 3D-ish fighting reminiscent of the old Bleach: Heat the Soul games for PSP...

They could have done so much better

Well, we've got definitely a few games this week. Since it will probably be overlooked by most due to other releases this week, I recommend checking out 20XX. Once again no PSBlog weekly 'Drop' post, nor did I see anything about this weeks LRG releases.

Other stuff that released without warning last week or I overlooked it (Assume PC unless otherwise noted):
- Dungeon Warfare 2 (Tower Defense)
- Lagoon Lounge : The Poisonous Fountain (Visual Novel / Gay Furries)
- Super Dangerous Dungeons (Puzzle Platformer)

Weekly Releases (July 8th - July 14th)

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
- Platform(s): 3DS, Switch
- Genre: Action / Puzzle
- Demo: N/A
- Online: Local co-op. Switch only.
- Comments: Previously released on the Wii U.

20XX
- Platform(s): PS4, Switch, XB1
- Genre: Action Platformer / Roguelike
- Online: Yes.
- Comments: Indie game based off of Mega Man. Previously released on PC. Rated decently high.

Shining Resonance Refrain
- Platform(s): PS4, Switch, XB1, PC
- Genre: RPG / Action
- Demo: Yes. All but PC.
- Online: N/A

ACA NeoGeo: The Super Spy
- Platform(s): Switch
- Genre: Action / Arcade
- Online: Local co-op.
- Comments: Digital only.

Ghost 1.0
- Platform(s): Switch, XB1
- Genre: Metroivania

Radiohammer Station
- Genre: Rhythm
- Comments: Previously released on 3DS & Mobile.

Star Story: The Horizon Escape
- Genre: Adventure RPG
- Comments: Previously released on PC. Decently rated.

Octopath Traveler
- Genre: RPG
- Demo: Yes.
- Comments: Demo progress carries over, up to three hours.

Gekido: Kintaro's Revenge
- Platform(s): XB1
- Genre: Beat'em Up
- Comments: Previously released on GBA, Switch & PS4.

Remyadry
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: First-Person Dungeon Crawler / RPG
- Comments: DLSite published. Non-official Touhou indie game.

Echoes of the Fey: The Last Sacrament
- Genre: Visual Novel

Touhou: Scarlet Curiosity
- Genre: Action / Bullet Hell
- Comments: XSeed published. Previously released on PS4.

The Spiral Scouts
- Genre: Adventure
- Comments: Paper Mario aesthetic.

Koihime Enbu RyoRaiRai
- Genre: Fighting
- Online: Yes.
- Comments: Degica published.

Her
- Genre: Visual Novel / Simulation
- Comments: Chinese dev.

Past Releases
July 1st - July 7th
June 24th - June 30th
June 17th - June 23rd
June 10th - June 16th
June 3rd - June 9th

Death end re;Quest, Code Realize fan disk, Death Mark and Zanki Zero release date are all good news. I will get all of them eventually.

Now for some visual novel announcements from Anime-Expo:

All games linked to their VNDB and should be considered NSFW.

Manga Gamer:

Blog Posting (NSFW)

LuckyDog1

Lilycle Rainbow Stage!

Rance IX -The Helmanian Revolution

Rance X -Showdown

Jast USA:

Blog Posting (NSFW)

Flowers -Le Volume sur Automne

Kimi to Kanojo to Kanojo no Koi

Togainu no Chi

DRAMAtical Murder

Lamento -BEYOND THE VOID-

Trample on Schatten!! and Flowers -Le Volume sur Été- will be available this month on July 16.

Partnership with Dual Tail to release Venus Blood -Frontier- .

Denpasoft:

Blog Post (NSFW)

I WALK AMONG ZOMBIES SERIES. 1 is out now! 0, 2, 3 are coming.
9 -NINE- EPISODE 1
Re;Lord 2 ~The witch of Cologne and black cat~
Majo Koi Nikki aka Witch's Love Story
Harumade Kururu
Mischievous Sensation

Sekai Project:

Last Stanza
Idol Connect -AsteriskLive- VN
NEKOPARA Extra ~The Kittens’ First Promise

All ages releases of 9 -nine- Episode 1,  Re;Lord 2 ~The witch of Cologne and black cat~, Harumade Kururu, and Witch’s Love Diary.

NEKOPARA Manga coming in August.

Impressions in a separate post for those who want to hear my thoughts on all the announcements.

Anime-expo VN announcements impressions:

LuckyDog1 looks alright in it's premise about a mob guy in jail and breaking out and is a BL title. It looks high quality for those who read BL.

Lilcycle is based off Yuri Drama CDs and has characters making an appearance from those, but this one features 3 characters and their love triangle. You can switch viewpoints and it will be all ages, so it looks cute enough. I'll think about it when it comes out, but a likely buy.

I know very little about Rance IX and X, but they are highly regarded games, and X came out in 2018. I'll play the ones released so far, some older fan translations, and the ones coming up. They all look interesting, fun and long.

I also know very little about the Flowers series, but they have beautiful art and look like worthy Yuri games. I will play all 3 eventually.

Kimi to Kanojo to Kanojo no Koi sounds interesting as a guy meets a strange girl and gets his childhood friend to help him to get her to socialize. Along comes a love triangle and it sounds like stuff begins to fall apart. Will buy.

Togainu no Chi takes place after a third world war and has the protagonist living a harsh life in a BL VN. It looks like it could be pretty crazy and good for BL fans.

DRAMAtical Murder is a highly regarded cyberpunk BL VN. I will still likely read it, as it's extremely popular.

Lamento is another BL VN that also looks pretty interesting. It's about a food shortage and trying to get over a curse. Will likely read.

Trample looks kind of interesting, but I'm not sure about it. Will likely read eventually since it has action and nice looking art.

Venus looks like a pretty hardcore eroge with tentacles and stuff. Will likely pass on it.

All the I Walk Among Zombies look pretty cool. They are about a guy who the zombies don't attack. I will get the one that was released and the future ones, and will post impressions someday about the first volume.

9 Nine looks like a good short VN about people who develop powers. Will read.

Re;Lord 2 looks cool, though I need to play the first. Looks cute and is short, so that will make it a future get.

I thought Witch's Love Story was a yuri game, but I believe it's a normal eroge that has a girl named Alice finding a diary of a perverted guy and the characters in it come out in her life or something. I believe this guy is the one who the stories revolve around. Will get.

Harumade, Kururu is my type of game and has a guy in a remote place with 4 girls and 1 declares that the guy should have a harem and starts stripping in front of him. I don't know how this will be all ages, but count me out of that. It's a nukige and looks like a fun one, which are huge thumbs up in my book. Will get.

Mischievous Sensation is a VN developed in Unity and has a guy who has his childhood friend move away. He plays eroge and wants to develop a magical girls game and has to interact with new people at school. Sounds OK, and the art looks aight. Will get.

Last Stanza is about some guy and he has a dramatic moment and tries to go on making friends new and old. Sounds like something I would play.

Idol Connect is based off a mobile rhythm game, and will try it maybe. I am neutral on this and no information is known about it.

I haven't played Nekopara, but this looks cute and will play eventually when I play those games.

Sekai/Denpasoft won the announcements for me but honestly lots of good VNs are coming, and i'm glad high quality BL titles are also getting localized. That and yuri games deserve to come over, and have been a lot more often now.

Man, that Super Neptunia RPG looks really good.  Getting kind of a Valkyrie Profile vibe from the visuals.  Hope it plays good too.  Also hope IFFY puts out a nice CE for it eventually (you know they will).

I kinda fell off the Neptunia series, but I really love the art style/gameplay of Super Neptunia.
yeah got tired of them continuing to reuse the same gameplay over and over plus the vn heavy dialog, still hoping they eventually come up with something new and not text heavy

Well, finally finished with all characters on the Octopath Traveler demo. Two things I want to mention. I seemed to have run into a bug while playing the Archer/Hunter/Pokemon Trainer. She starts in a heavily wooded area with a bunch of foreground trees. Most of the time the opacity on these was 0% making it really god damned annoying to move around when I couldn't see a damned thing. Did anyone else get that? I also feel that her battle mechanic will be overly cumbersome unless you know exactly what to capture.

Second, my god. I did a run where I recruited a third characters in one go and the boss for the third recruit had a stupid amount of health. It took me like four times longer to kill the damned boss because of its increased health. It wasn't really any more difficult, just more annoying by how much extra health it had. Especially when compared to the boss I took on for the second party members story where I had two characters. I dread how much health a boss will have when you have four people in your party.

I still think I'll start with Tressa, who was my first choice on playing through the demo. Olberics felt pretty boring to me and the thief's story felt rather hamfisted. The rest felt more or less fine. Didn't explore enough of the apothecary to see how his mechanic really worked. Well, regardless, I'll probably play Shining Resonance before this.

Man, that Super Neptunia RPG looks really good. Getting kind of a Valkyrie Profile vibe from the visuals. Hope it plays good too. Also hope IFFY puts out a nice CE for it eventually (you know they will).
Except the art for Valkyrie Profile is amazing and the other is cancer.

Well, finally finished with all characters on the Octopath Traveler demo. Two things I want to mention. I seemed to have run into a bug while playing the Archer/Hunter/Pokemon Trainer. She starts in a heavily wooded area with a bunch of foreground trees. Most of the time the opacity on these was 0% making it really god damned annoying to move around when I couldn't see a damned thing. Did anyone else get that? I also feel that her battle mechanic will be overly cumbersome unless you know exactly what to capture.

Second, my god. I did a run where I recruited a third characters in one go and the boss for the third recruit had a stupid amount of health. It took me like four times longer to kill the damned boss because of its increased health. It wasn't really any more difficult, just more annoying by how much extra health it had. Especially when compared to the boss I took on for the second party members story where I had two characters. I dread how much health a boss will have when you have four people in your party.
I didn't remember the Huntress' forest section hard to navigate. And I think her capture mechanic isn't really crucial. Seems like it provides more attack types to fill in gaps from your party.

As for the boss scaling, it was a fair difficulty spike. You get another member to break and boost. Also, later skills and passives seems to synergize pretty well with certain parties.

I didn't remember the Huntress' forest section hard to navigate. And I think her capture mechanic isn't really crucial. Seems like it provides more attack types to fill in gaps from your party.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I just ran into a bug that caused opacity to not work for a good portion of the time and it would randomly work after battle on occasion for short spurts. It was really frustrating since foreground trees took up 90% of the screen space and hopefully I won't run into it on the full game. Watched some YouTube videos after I played through her and the videos I saw had their opacity working fine, nor did find anybody mention it using keyword searching in some forums.

EDIT: This also occured to me in town. When I first started, all I could mostly see was foreground trees. Went to talk to the Chief and still trees blocking my view. Had to "feel around" the area where I had to duel the two guys in town, but after dueling the first one the trees in town became transparent for the rest of the demo. Unfortunately the forest wasn't as kind.

20 games a week??? Who do they think is going to buy these games that bundlers can’t give away.
Yeah, how about they actually offer some first party games? Instead of trying to redirect people's attention away from that fact by claiming 20 games a week(most of which is probably garbage). What the hell these guys where doing leading up to the NS release just boggles my mind.

Outside of the many ports, we got a new 3D Mario & Zelda games, both of which probably started life as U titles. We know for Zelda that was the case, and I personally think Mario was the same. Since Mario was earlier in development, and was never shown, it just got bumped to the NS.

For a company that combined Handheld and console development years ago, as to not spread themselves to thin supporting 2 active systems, I'm just not seeing the fruits of that. Well in to the U's cycle, they complained of coming to grips with HD development, and that was the reason for not having more games more often. So what's the excuse now? It's amazing the NS is selling like it is, but I honestly can't understand why? There are no games, and the ones it has, are cheaper and better elsewhere.

Now the question is, if it gets localized... Will it be the NISA translation with Esty Dee or will it be an equally poor translation by Koei Tecmo?

I'll probably buy them at some point if they get brought over. I'd wager they'll end up on PC too if they get localized. Chances are we'll eventually see the same for the Dusk trilogy eventually as well.

Amazon/Twitch Prime's July PC Games continued:

https://www.twitch.tv/prime

Has Deponia Doomsday that takes place after the original trilogy, along with the past five games as well as it being the last day to claim Battle Chef Brigade. I'll post again when Tyranny is up, which should be next Monday.

bread's done
Back