Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Terry Bogard joins the roster in SNK HEROINES Tag Team Frenzy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFC4M36IWSE
I guess Miss X won't be in the game, after all.

tumblr_mz61p62eZx1ro9fvwo8_250.jpg

Been playing some Shining Song Starnova. It's not a Jap made VN but has pretty good Japanese voice acting and is actually a pretty heavy story compared to some i've been playing recently. I like that it examines all parts of the idol life, though sometimes there is a just a bit too much drama. I've done 3 out of 7 routes I believe, and I'll likely give a review after finishing the routes. I think it's not bad though, but not really light hearted at all. 

plan on importing the JPN ver of SNK HEROINES Tag Team Frenzy PS4. Not down to pay $119+ for a NA PS4 copy. :lol:
Same here, but I preordered the Asian (multi-language) version from Play-Asia. Includes Simplified Chinese, English, Korean, and Japanese subtitles.

Same here, but I preordered the Asian (multi-language) version from Play-Asia. Includes Simplified Chinese, English, Korean, and Japanese subtitles.
Thanks, you've saved me like $70, completely forgot to check asian physical releases with English for this on ps4

Edit: oh wait, but I'm sure this will have dlc characters... Dammit

Looking at peach ball, i like what i see. I hope there are multiple camera angles thou, and the ball weight could be heavier and the physics tighter.

I play a lot of zen/fx3 pinball and digital pinball games. I feel like this is on the more floaty side like sonic pinball or pokemon pinball.

Thanks, you've saved me like $70, completely forgot to check asian physical releases with English for this on ps4

Edit: oh wait, but I'm sure this will have dlc characters... Dammit
yeah thats why i am gonna stick to the switch version, maybe inferior but gotta go with physical since its not worth the 120 price for the ps4 version, also afraid their will be dlc so not chancing with a asian copy

Looking at peach ball, i like what i see. I hope there are multiple camera angles thou, and the ball weight could be heavier and the physics tighter.

I play a lot of zen/fx3 pinball and digital pinball games. I feel like this is on the more floaty side like sonic pinball or pokemon pinball.
will since their release date is dec, guessing what they showed was an unfinished version, afraid if this will come over west so i am tempted to preorder but since they will release other characters at 10$ a piece will be a expensive dlc game so also hard to want to import since it will have only a few character tables

DjrtA2XUUAERz33.jpg

There will also be a Vita Collector's Edition. Presumably it will be 59.99. PS4 CE is 64.99 

The PS4 version is the Complete Edition (includes DLC)  for those unaware. 29.99 standard

The VIta version will NOT have the DLC included. 24.99 standard

No DLC no buy from this guy at least. Oh well...September is rough anyway and I'll just give the money to Senran Kagura Bon Appetit instead.....

August's Humble Monthly Bundle ($12) includes Tales of Berseria for the PC (Steam) as an early unlock. While not a Japanese game, Staxel is included as well. It's a voxel farming simulator sandbox that's currently in early access.  Plus you'll get six or so unknown games when the next monthly bundle hits.

August's Humble Monthly Bundle ($12) includes Tales of Berseria for the PC (Steam) as an early unlock. While not a Japanese game, Staxel is included as well. It's a voxel farming simulator sandbox that's currently in early access. Plus you'll get six or so unknown games when the next monthly bundle hits.
Having finally bit on Berseria late last month for $12 or so by itself, I was some irked at myself on seeing this month's games. However, it seems that this month they'll also let you swap out one of the three preview games for Rise of the Tomb Raider if you'd prefer it instead. So not all is lost.

Edit: rereading the page, I think it's Rise of the Tomb Raider instead of all three games, which is much less appealing.

I finally got my Muv-Luv Kickstarter stuff today. Does anyone else’s invoice seem...strange in terms of the items’ prices? I went with the $150 tier and this is how my invoice looks:

Sumika Figma - 15.00
Muv-Luv Trilogy Collector’s Box PS Vita Signed Sticker - 25.00
Muv-Luv Trilogy Physical Bundle PS Vita (Omake) - 20.00
Signed Sticker - 1.00
Grand Total - 61.00

Also, I thought the box containing the OST and artbook was supposed to be signed in addition to the sticker? Mine isn’t.

Was that not included in the $150 tier? The only signed thing I got was the sticker.
I already explained it. It was either an autographed box OR an autographed shikishi. There was a Kickstarter Poll on which one the CE will get and almost everyone picked the autographed shikishi. You don't get both.

DjrtA2XUUAERz33.jpg

There will also be a Vita Collector's Edition. Presumably it will be 59.99. PS4 CE is 64.99

The PS4 version is the Complete Edition (includes DLC) for those unaware. 29.99 standard

The VIta version will NOT have the DLC included. 24.99 standard
Just a heads-up if you care about trophies: The Vita version has some issues with the Frau DLC trophies not triggering since an update a while back. They work for some people and not others with no known resolution. I installed the game and Frau DLC on one Vita and could never get it to trigger those trophies no matter what install/reinstall/update process I tried. I installed on my other Vita a couple months later just to check if there'd been an update--there wasn't an update, but the trophies appear to be tripping properly. No idea why.

I already explained it. It was either an autographed box OR an autographed shikishi. There was a Kickstarter Poll on which one the CE will get and almost everyone picked the autographed shikishi. You don't get both.
What I’m asking is whether I was supposed to get the shikishi with the $150 tier—is the sticker the “shikishi”? I just want to be sure I received everything I was supposed to.

What I’m asking is whether I was supposed to get the shikishi with the $150 tier—is the sticker the “shikishi”? I just want to be sure I received everything I was supposed to.
It's not a sticker. It's the shikishi. IXTL is being dumb call it a sticker

Djo_uMqU4AEn0Yp.jpg

Looking back, it looks like the option was a Mini-Shikishi or a signed sticker for the box that's signed by a single random dev member. Pretty dumb option honestly. They're not even in the same league in terms of value.
Did I miss an update where they said instead of signing the box, it would just be a sticker? Looking back at my pledge confirmation, it looks like I picked “Signed Box”, and that’s definitely not what I ended up with. Had I known it would have been just a sticker, I would have chosen the shikishi.

Looking back, it looks like the option was a Mini-Shikishi or a Signed Sticker for the box that's signed by a single random dev member. Pretty dumb option honestly, especially since it seems like the stickers are half the size of what they said too. They're not even in the same league in terms of value.

Source: https://community.muvluv.moe/index.php?/topic/367-collectors-box-options/
The Shikishi is the better option.

Does the sticker look like this? I know they mentioned it was the size of an atm card

DjpnWuxVsAE2DlF.jpg

I do remember doing the survey and being given the option of the Shikishi and the Sticker.

Did I miss an update where they said instead of signing the box, it would just be a sticker? Looking back at my pledge confirmation, it looks like I picked “Signed Box”, and that’s definitely not what I ended up with. Had I known it would have been just a sticker, I would have chosen the shikishi.
I got the dumb sticker instead too.

20180803_172459.jpg

It's about 2.5" x 3.5"

Mine came in great shape. I have no problem with the contents. Considering most Kickstarter just take your money and run. At least they stuck with it and released the product and then some

I don't know specifically what the option said in the backerkit at the time, I can only go by what they had in their update, which was this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/muvluv/muv-luv-a-pretty-sweet-visual-novel-series/posts/1475550

Signature Stickers will now be included with the Collector's Box as well!

All Collector's Boxes will be made in the US, and all TSF Boxes will be shipped directly to the US as soon as they're completed. Because of this, the Muv-Luv Japanese team can only sign clear stickers which will be included in the boxes. You can choose where to stick it.

The options for $150 and above Collector's Boxes are:

• Hand-Signed Clear Sticker by anyone from the Muv-Luv Team in Japan
  • Printed Signature of Yoshimune-san on a Mini-Shikishi.
While all $300 and above TSF Boxes namely Raptor, Takemikazuchi, MiG Balalaika, Cheburashka, Aligatori and A-10 will either have a signed sticker OR pin badge:

• Hand-Signed Clear Sticker by anyone from the *Core Members of Muv-Luv Team in Japan.
  • Takemikazuchi Chibi Pin Badge.
*Core Members namely Yoshimune-san, Baka-Ouji Persia, Kichikujin Tamuー and Spin Drill.

EDIT: Though, yes, the original pledge did say there was going to be a signed collector's display box. I'm not reading all the updates, but I guess they switched to the Shikishi/Sticker thing later because backers voted for the Japanese team signatures and not the localization team signatures which is what they were originally going to be it seems.

EDIT 2: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/muvluv/muv-luv-a-pretty-sweet-visual-novel-series/posts/1464984

Box Signing Update!

All of the Collector's Boxes will now have an exclusively printed Muv-Luv Development Team signature on glossy paper instead. We've decided to do this because all boxes will be made in the US, and the fans have expressed more interest in the Japanese development team's signature as opposed to the U.S. Muv-Luv Staff.

As for the TSF Boxes, they'll be delivered straight to the US after Kotobukiya produces them. The Muv-Luv Japanese development team will be assigned hundreds of clear labels per person so they can sign these by hand and you can choose whether to stick it on your TSF Box or elsewhere.

Does the sticker look like this? I know they mentioned it was the size of an atm card

I do remember doing the survey and being given the option of the Shikishi and the Sticker.
Actually I was wrong, the size is correct. I think I was looking at something else.

DjpnWuxVsAE2DlF.jpg

Yes, that’s the sticker. Forgive me for asking, but was that codex in a higher-priced tier than $150?

I found the posts.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/muvluv/muv-luv-a-pretty-sweet-visual-novel-series/posts/1464984

All Collector's Boxes will be made in the US, and all TSF Boxes will be shipped directly to the US as soon as they're completed. Because of this, the Muv-Luv Japanese team can only sign clear stickers which will be included in the boxes. You can choose where to stick it.

Hand-Signed Clear Sticker by anyone from the Muv-Luv Team in Japan
Printed Signature of Yoshimune-san on a Mini-Shikishi.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/muvluv/muv-luv-a-pretty-sweet-visual-novel-series/posts/1485843

Mini-Shikishi is a printed artwork styled into a Shikishi, with Japanese Muv-Luv team signatures printed onto it. If you have pledged for the $300 or $800 tiers (the ones with TSFs), and you'd like a Mini-Shikishi with one and a signature sticker with the other we recommend you choose the Mini-Shikishi for the collectors' box.

I don't know specifically what the option said in the backerkit at the time, I can only go by what they had in their update, which was this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/muvluv/muv-luv-a-pretty-sweet-visual-novel-series/posts/1475550

• Hand-Signed Clear Sticker by anyone from the Muv-Luv Team in Japan
  • Printed Signature of Yoshimune-san on a Mini-Shikishi.
While all $300 and above TSF Boxes namely Raptor, Takemikazuchi, MiG Balalaika, Cheburashka, Aligatori and A-10 will either have a signed sticker OR pin badge:

• Hand-Signed Clear Sticker by anyone from the *Core Members of Muv-Luv Team in Japan.
  • Takemikazuchi Chibi Pin Badge.
*Core Members namely Yoshimune-san, Baka-Ouji Persia, Kichikujin Tamuー and Spin Drill.

EDIT: Though, yes, the original pledge did say there was going to be a signed collector's display box. I'm not reading all the updates, but I guess they switched to the Shikishi/Sticker thing later.

EDIT 2: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/muvluv/muv-luv-a-pretty-sweet-visual-novel-series/posts/1464984

Box Signing Update!

All of the Collector's Boxes will now have an exclusively printed Muv-Luv Development Team signature on glossy paper instead. We've decided to do this because all boxes will be made in the US, and the fans have expressed more interest in the Japanese development team's signature as opposed to the U.S. Muv-Luv Staff.

As for the TSF Boxes, they'll be delivered straight to the US after Kotobukiya produces them. The Muv-Luv Japanese development team will be assigned hundreds of clear labels per person so they can sign these by hand and you can choose whether to stick it on your TSF Box or elsewhere.

Actually I was wrong, the size is correct. I think I was looking at something else.
I remember them saying they wanted to do signed boxes but they had a meeting and decided to go with the other options we listed in subsequent updates

Yes, that’s the sticker. Forgive me for asking, but was that codex in a higher-priced tier than $150?
The Codex was a higher price tier. I think you could've added it in for an extra $30-50? Since I got into the habit of buying books now, I should've bought the Codex as well. Maybe they'll have some at Anime Expo next year. lol.

In other news. Here is a trailer for Lost Souls Aside. 

With actual new footage.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=Se5gFS93ZMA[/media]

Thanks, that clears things up. At least my box arrived with no damage.
Yeah, I got the small hand signed one myself, as I do remember the question when it was asked. It was a "live" signature from one member Vs. a "copy" of all the teams signatures. So I'm pretty sure I picked the single, as it seemed the better option. I figured I could always get a color copy of what was offered, since it was a copy to begin with. Of course that one looks better in hindsight, but it's still the same in regards to my reasons for going with the smaller at the time.

Yeah, I'm amazed my order didn't arrived damaged,as the Codex was just placed on top of everything else, with a thin line of brown paper for padding. Even though it all slid back & forth the whole trip, it wasn't enough to cause any major damage(when it easily could have). Overall this stuff seems OK, as I'm not really disappointed like with my Shantae stuff. I'm just not to familiar with this stuff overall, as this is my first introduction to the series. But I do think what I received seems decent enough, and not cheap or over produced standard fare like the Shantae KS items.

When i opened that box, I was like, is this it(2 years for this)? LOL With Muv-Luv, I was more shocked nothing got damaged, than I was the stuff included was some type of disappointment.

Yeah, I was going to point out that the difference between the two choices was a printed signature vs a hand-signed one.

Mine should arrive on Wednesday.

I'm pretty happy with the goods from the Muv Luv kickstarter. The art book is a bit small, but the codex is better than I was expecting.

muvluv.png

bread's done
Back