Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
CrossCode is hitting version 1.0 on September 20th!

https://twitter.com/RadicalFishGame/status/1027577820124467201

Unfortunately as far as I'm aware it's still PC only. There were a few articles stating it was "running on a PS4" back in the last PAX East, but I haven't seen anything to substantiate it from the developer or publisher. Since it runs using HTML5 and Java, it would need some kind of wrapper or a port to an entirely different engine to bring it onto consoles. It's possible that it could come out on the PS4 at some point, but I'd be wary until I hear it from the developer as I searched for proof but never found any somewhat recently.

Steam Page

Official Site

You can find a demo of the game on the Steam page, which is a download. There's also a demo on the official site that runs directly in your browser as well. It's one of my most anticipated indie games this year and I recommend checking it out.
I asked about the PS4 version on the Steam forum and a dev responded "the PS4 version will be released at a later time" so it looks like it will be coming eventually.

I asked about the PS4 version on the Steam forum and a dev responded "the PS4 version will be released at a later time" so it looks like it will be coming eventually.
Seems like you're correct. It would be nice if they had something in a bit more of an official capacity instead of a random reply in a forum though.

I don't know if its considered niche, but I am so damn excited for Dragon Quest XI to come out.

It is one of my favorite series besides Pokemon.

I can not wait to play it day one and enjoy all the fun to be had.

I pre ordered at GameStop for the buttons, just wish i had enough for the CE version.

Anyone play Cosmic Star Heroine? Wanted to hear about how the game is before buying it for myself
I haven't personally played it, as I'm waiting on my physical copy to arrive, but I have read tons of reviews. If your familiar with the type of RPG's this game pays homage to, then your probably in for a treat. If your mostly in to current style big bang type RPG offerings, this game will probably leave you wanting.

I don't know if its considered niche, but I am so damn excited for Dragon Quest XI to come out.

It is one of my favorite series besides Pokemon.

I can not wait to play it day one and enjoy all the fun to be had.

I pre ordered at GameStop for the buttons, just wish i had enough for the CE version.
On that note, I received an email from the Square Enix store saying Shipping? Now it includes a lanyard too, I guess I can retire my Dragon Quest Heroes lanyard.

Anyone play Cosmic Star Heroine? Wanted to hear about how the game is before buying it for myself
Depends on what you are looking for, the game is fairly short for this kind of RPG (I got the plat trophy in like 18 hours) and the story and characters aren't that interesting imo (it's been less than a year since I played it and I can't even tell you a name of a single character in the game at this point), but, the gameplay is actually really solid.

Pretty standard turn based RPG but you can only bring a certain amount of commands into battle (kinda like Pokemon) and for the most part they can only be used one time before you have to pass a turn using a recharge command to make them usable again. What makes it work though is that the game has a massive amount of buffs/debuffs you can apply and a hyper meter for each character that gives a big damage bonus every few turns (the meter charges at different rates for each character.) So the whole combat revolves around looking a few turns ahead and trying to plan it out so you stack as many damage increases as possible on your strongest attacks. On top of that each character also has very unique mechanics that make them all feel different, and there is something like 10 different party members so you have a lot of options.

My only real complaint was that when you found a good combo it breaks the whole game, normal enemies are a OHKO and bosses are like 3-4 turns max (even the optional super bosses.) Still worth playing though if you want an interesting battle system, there just isn't much else to the game other than that.

Cyberdimension Neptunia: 4 Goddesses Online is back in stock at Best Buy for $19.99 / $15.99 GCU. Thought I'd missed it since it was on clearance before it went OOS.

Edit: It appears OOS in search results, but Add to Cart appears on the item details page, and I was able to check out.

Ummm has anyone else noticed that on Amazon maybe for some newly created pre-order games such as Punch Line (was going to pre-order this), Girl Metal, newest Atelier game, Death end Re:Quest, Zanki Zero, Liar Princess, Princess Guide, Penguin Wars, P5 and P3 dancing games, maybe others.....but I don't see any 20% off pre-order price for any of those. 

It may be speculation of course, but it maybe the beginning of the end for the pre-order discount. These games don't fall under the remaster rule or whatever for that, so it may be sneaking off of newer listings and well that's it for it. 

I'm not feeling particularly creative this morning since I'll be busy all day. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm missing a thing or three from the list.

Other stuff that released without warning last week or I overlooked it (Assume PC unless otherwise noted):
- Lingering Fragrance (Visual Novel)

Weekly Releases (August 12th - August 18th)

Death's Gambit
- Platform(s): PS4, PC
- Genre: Action Platformer / Metroidvania?
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A
- Comments: Digital only. Published by Adult Swim.

Phantom Doctrine
- Platform(s): PS4, XB1, PC
- Genre: SRPG / Espionage
- Comments: Digital only. Similar gameplay to XCOM and their previous title, Hard West.

Super Night Riders
- Platform(s): PS4
- Genre: Racing
- Comments: Digital only. Previously released on XB1 & PC. Retro arcade inspired motorcycle racing.

Space Hulk (Re-release)
- Genre: SRPG
- Comments: Physical release only. It released digitally some time ago.

Space Hulk Ascension (Re-release)
- Comments: Physical release only. It released digitally some time ago.

XCOM 2 Collection (Re-release)
- Platform(s): PS4, XB1
- Comments: Includes all DLC, but not sure if it's on the disc or not.

Cosmic Star Heroine
- Platform(s): Switch
- Genre: RPG
- Comments: Previously released on a bunch of platforms.

2064: Read Only Memories INTEGRAL
- Genre: Adventure
- Comments: Previously released on PS4, Vita, XB1 & PC.

The Coma: Recut
- Genre: Adventure
- Comments: Previously released for PS4, XB1 & PC. Korean indie game. Remaster.

West of Loathing (LRG Release)
- Genre: RPG
- Comments: Physical edition release by Limited Run Games.

Dragon Spear
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Action RPG / Beat'em Up
- Comments: Korean dev.

Newton and the Apple Tree
- Genre: Visual Novel

SpaceExcavators
- Genre: SHMUP / Sidescroller

Neko Dungeon
- Genre: Roguelike / RPG

Lucy Got Problems
- Platform(s):
- Genre: Visual Novel
- Demo: Yes.

Past Releases
August 5th - August 11th
July 29th - August 4th
July 22nd - July 28th
July 15th - July 21st
July 8th - July 14th

Ummm has anyone else noticed that on Amazon maybe for some newly created pre-order games such as Punch Line (was going to pre-order this), Girl Metal, newest Atelier game, Death end Re:Quest, Zanki Zero, Liar Princess, Princess Guide, Penguin Wars, P5 and P3 dancing games, maybe others.....but I don't see any 20% off pre-order price for any of those.

It may be speculation of course, but it maybe the beginning of the end for the pre-order discount. These games don't fall under the remaster rule or whatever for that, so it may be sneaking off of newer listings and well that's it for it.
yeah saw that, you should contact them to find out, also it wasnt just hd remakes but i believe also all in one collections which girl metal would fall under

Yeah, they've been all over the map with this in recent times. To my knowledge, most standard games will get the discount at some point, but it also seems a HUGE YMMV type situation. Something else that me and a few others noticed, was them having games up maybe a day or two, only to have them leave months leading up to release, with no return. Oh wait, the return happens, but not until the games official release date, and then the discount is of course gone.

I rarely if ever preorder new games, so these shady practices haven't hit me to hard, but for those who really rely on these discounts, I would contact CS and state your case. I know in the past, many will get them to add the discount, or commit to saying it will be applied. Then when shit goes south, you have proof for a discount.

Of course CS is all over the map as well, so one person may offer a free month of Prime, the next a credit, maybe another says your SOL, etc. I know anytime I contact them with any type of issue, they normally give me something that makes up for the problem. But I don't contact them all that much, but when I do, they know they fuck up! Of course this is all what was destined to happen after Amazon ran everyone else out of the game, so now they can pretty much do whatever, whenever.

Kinda off-topic, but have any of you gotten Bullet Girls Phantasia from Play-Asia?

I was considering getting the game, and was wondering if anyone else had some thoughts on it.

The Limited Edition is also pretty tempting, but it looks like they are still expecting their stock to come in.
The limited edition preorders all got delayed because they didn't include the playing cards so play-asia is waiting till those come in hopefully next week to ship them out. Really grinds my gears especially since I paid for the 3 day shipping.

They're really letting Mel take over and do whatever he wants lol.

Yeah, I'm interested in Bullet Girls Phantasia as well, but even if I heard it was terrible, I would probably still grab a Vita copy for the hell of it. LOL

Based on all the past Play-Asia "T&A" exclusives, I'm 99.9% sure this was way over produced, and I'm really just waiting on a proper sale. That sucks that the LE orders got delayed, but I can't blame them for waiting(even though it was their FU), as shipping the cards after the fact would cost a ton. They still could have offered up a proper discount or coupon for peoples trouble, but that seems unlikely. I'll for sure be keeping an eye on this, but the current asking price for a standard Vita cart is insane. I held out for DOA to get cheap, and I'll do the same here.

Yea, I've noticed that for awhile now. Everything I locked in right around E3 has 20% off. Everything I preordered since about a month after E3 hasn't received the 20% off yet. Granted they are some pretty niche games (Moonlighter, Death and Re:Quest, Valthirian Arc, and Punchline), but it has made me wonder the same thing. It feels like they are quietly getting rid of the 20% off.

I don't preorder many AAA games so I'm not sure if any have gone up for preorder since early July that have the 20%. But the 7 or so other niche games I have on my list to watch on Amazon that I have added since July, also do not have the 20% applied.

Yeah, I've noticed this as well. Basically every new title that I have been interested in hasn't had the 20% preorder offer applied yet. Dead Cells, which comes out in 9 days doesn't have it and has been orderable for months. I've got that preordered from BB so it doesn't bother me too much. Moonlighter though is not available at BB yet, and still doesn't have the 20% off yet from Amazon. Many other titles as well.

It seems like they are phasing it out - and trying to do it quietly.

Yeah, I see that the VC4 special edition I ordered right away is still showing $99 on Amazon. I was hoping it would sneak in with the 20% off, but I guess it won't.

My Fallout 76 has the discount though :roll:

Bestbuy has VC4 SE, so if you have GCU, you can get 20% off there.

Since Amazon doesn't have any discounts or bonuses though, might as well grab it from Gamestop which includes a hat (also less shipping damage risk).

Yeah, I've noticed this as well. Basically every new title that I have been interested in hasn't had the 20% preorder offer applied yet. Dead Cells, which comes out in 9 days doesn't have it and has been orderable for months. I've got that preordered from BB so it doesn't bother me too much. Moonlighter though is not available at BB yet, and still doesn't have the 20% off yet from Amazon. Many other titles as well.

It seems like they are phasing it out - and trying to do it quietly.
Just posted a topic to this effect. I just got an official reply from Marketing and Promotions saying only select ASIN will be eligible from here on out 😕

Just posted a topic to this effect. I just got an official reply from Marketing and Promotions saying only select ASIN will be eligible from here on out 😕
d24.gif

It's kind of sad I may get Mario/Zelda though I don't plan to get a Switch until SMT or a really good bundle is out....or a redesign haha. Reminds me of when I had a Neptunia LE and some other RPG before I ever owned a PS3.

Weekly free PSN junk:

BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle

PS4

- Demo (Alt Link)

Shining Resonance Refrain

PS4

- Theme & Avatar Set (PS+ Exclusive)

Ni no Kuni II

PS4

- Adventure Pack

London Detective Mysteria

PS4

- Page w/ all 10 Avatars for convenience

August PS+ Games

Forgot to post the PS+ games last week, so I'm doing it this week. This weeks sale is just an Ubisoft publisher sale, so I'm not linking it.

Does anyone know if the PS4 version of SNK Heroines is exclusive to the CE? I see the Switch standard edition up for pre-order, but I can't find the PS4 one anywhere, and the game releases in less than a month. 

Does anyone know if the PS4 version of SNK Heroines is exclusive to the CE? I see the Switch standard edition up for pre-order, but I can't find the PS4 one anywhere, and the game releases in less than a month.
Yes, the physical PS4 version is exclusive to NISA's CE. The digital version should be available on PSN.

https://www.gamestop.com/ps4/games/atelier-lydie-suelle-the-alchemists-and-the-mysterious-paintings/154000

Atelier Lydie and Suelle PS4 hit the magic $19.99 price point at Gamestop and probably Amazon price match. After this Physical will start creeping back up.

If $80 for a season pass is too much, you only need to spend $20 on Ilmeria and Lucia then another $10 on Claudel Prarie after reaching the final chapter. The rest is music and maps from Blue Reflection or Nights of Azure and costumes for female characters. 

Does anyone know what's up with Amazon and the Switch version of Little Dragon's Cafe?

It was originally set to come out next Friday like the PS4 version, but now my preorder is sitting as unavailable.

Got my Bullet Girls Phantasia LE. The outter box is really nice. Really dig the alternate game cover.

I wish the artbook was larger and hardcover.

The playing cards are trash. Flimsy thin cardboard and the print is poor. pic Really disappointed in that considering the entire game shipment was delayed for it.

There is some LE dlc but the costumes are pretty ugly. The dlc that came with the base game look better.

Haven't actually checked the game or music cd yet.

Just checked mine and it's still saying next Friday. I'll post again if for some reason it changes.
Does anyone know what's up with Amazon and the Switch version of Little Dragon's Cafe?

It was originally set to come out next Friday like the PS4 version, but now my preorder is sitting as unavailable.

https://www.gamestop.com/ps4/games/atelier-lydie-suelle-the-alchemists-and-the-mysterious-paintings/154000

Atelier Lydie and Suelle PS4 hit the magic $19.99 price point at Gamestop and probably Amazon price match. After this Physical will start creeping back up.

If $80 for a season pass is too much, you only need to spend $20 on Ilmeria and Lucia then another $10 on Claudel Prarie after reaching the final chapter. The rest is music and maps from Blue Reflection or Nights of Azure and costumes for female characters.
Only third party sellers on Amazon so get it at GameStop while you can.

Oh ok, that's awesome. That's great news. I hope I can just trade in my current system for it.
The pages are up on Best Buy and Amazon but as of this moment it's still not available for pre-order but at least everyone who wants it can keep an eye out for when they do become available to buy.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-playstation-4-pro-2tb-500-million-limited-edition-console-bundle-translucent-blue/6290575.p?skuId=6290575

https://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-Pro-2TB-Limited-Console-4/dp/B07GG6FZZH/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1&linkCode=sl1&tag=sec2002-20&linkId=67010761497f9df472381f6eefdb4d02&language=en_US

Is Uppers being released in the US? The press release linked in the article is from Marvelous Europe and I don’t see a similar announcement from XSEED. I also don’t see where the West is mentioned in the release.

I would gladly double-dip. Had a blast playing though the JP version, although I had some difficulties trying to figure out the girls requests.

Yeah, happy that Uppers is finally getting an English release. Also...I'm happy, that as a Phantom Breaker fan, and from LRG lately I see..

That the LRG release of PB: BattleGrounds are selling well, however, here's what's left remaining as of current (subject to change).

PS4 SE: 11%, PS4 LE: 4% / Vita SE: Sold Out, Vita LE: Only 4 LE's left.

However, as much as I am a PB nut, and I could probably afford one of them, I already have PB:BG on pretty much every system they ported on (so I really can't justify buying again, even for physical), lol. (Except on Switch, since I don't have one.)

bread's done
Back