Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be going to Japan in 10 days. Any thing specific I should keep an eye out for in Japan? Anything that can only be purchased there and does not ship to the USA? 

I will be in Tokyo for the most part of my trip.

Any Nintendo Switch related stuff? PlayStation 4? Collectibles? Statues? I am all ears. I am taking one empty suit case with me just for souvenirs and collectibles. Budget of $500-$1000. Wife has approved it.

most current gen game stuff is seeing western releases and other stuff with English subs are imported from Asia. Japan stuff only has jap subtitles.

if you can read Japanese they have tons of visual novels we didn't get and some photography waifu model games.

statues and figures are dirt cheap there and you'd save on shipping. i don't know enough of your tastes to recommend which characters.

but don't be afraid to buy used. In Japan, used is like Amazon warehouse dinger status. Nothing used there is anywhere near the crappy gamestop used conditions.

most current gen game stuff is seeing western releases and other stuff with English subs are imported from Asia. Japan stuff only has jap subtitles.

if you can read Japanese they have tons of visual novels we didn't get and some photography waifu model games.

statues and figures are dirt cheap there and you'd save on shipping. i don't know enough of your tastes to recommend which characters.

but don't be afraid to buy used. In Japan, used is like Amazon warehouse dinger status. Nothing used there is anywhere near the crappy gamestop used conditions.
Thanks for your response!

My tastes lie more with anime (FMA:Brotherhood, Cowboy Bebop, Death Note, Steins Gate, Attack on Titan, Black Lagoon, Studio Ghibli etc)

I love fighting games (Street Fighter series, Soul Calibur series, and old arcade fighting games)

Games I own are a lot and across all systems. Only interested in Collector's Editions exclusive to Japan.

I think my highest priority would be statues since you mentioned they're a lot cheaper there. AND I love Kotobukiya stuff. Just saw they have a Koto store in Tokyo. Holy....there goes my money

How so....I haven't really played a Warriors game since Warriors Orochi 1, with a little dabbled in Hyrule Warriors.
I'm in the process of watching the whole thing myself, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI3JyzSccoM

Apparently Orochi 3 Ultimate is a far better game in terms of content, though Orochi 4 has slightly more playable characters.

I don't care how difficult it is for them to port it:

just-do-it.jpg

yeah used there is fine, since i dont know what u like, if you cant decide, try to plan a trip to the amiami store in person and see what the got though they do ship they might have stuff not online, likewise a good work around is if you have a jp amazon account and have them ship it to ur hotel since alot of stuff isnt allowed international or not available it would save you alot from using a middle man service to have it shipped

I'll be going to Japan in 10 days. Any thing specific I should keep an eye out for in Japan? Anything that can only be purchased there and does not ship to the USA?

I will be in Tokyo for the most part of my trip.

Any Nintendo Switch related stuff? PlayStation 4? Collectibles? Statues? I am all ears. I am taking one empty suit case with me just for souvenirs and collectibles. Budget of $500-$1000. Wife has approved it.
Get a vita before production ends. Use this website to check limited editions http://consolevariations.com/

Its how I found out about the monster hunter 3rd PSP and I love this thing.

I will say...I get most Warriors type games at $20 or less....will do the same here.
the same, since they abandoned the far away camera angle because it takes up to much memory....well it gets annoying when structures or other objects get in way since you dont have the up top angle anymore versy annoying to play those with out seeing more of the field, though if ur looking for a warrior game, i came across it by accident and saw amazon had already sold their supply to 3rd parties but warrior allstars for the ps4 is pretty good and was under 20$ has some issues but for a real crossover character game like that its cool on its own but u should not go for the dlc since its tk lazy on their part to just swap character costumes and have u pay for it

G: Is this engine being created specifically and only for DEAD OR ALIVE 6, or you’re planning to use it for other games as well?

Taku Sugawara: As I mentioned, we work on the graphics engine for all of our titles. The engine won’t be used just for this project. Up until now, many Koei Tecmo games have been using their own dedicated engines. While that approach has some merits, it creates difficulties in updating those engines and implementing new tech within their environments. It’s also less cost-efficient and less-time efficient for quite a few projects.
Atelier Helena: The Atelier of DOATEC coming 2019

I wanted to ask, has anyone bought a Standard Edition of Yakuza Kiwami from Amazon,or Best Buy? I know there is the Steelbook and Playstation Hits versions but the Standard Blue Case seems to be uncommon.

Fantasy Life got a sequel. It's a mobile game. I believe it was renamed to Fantasy Life Online from its original Fantasy Life 2 title though. It went live in Japan at the end of July of this year after a bunch of delays. So don't expect anything on that front this early.

If Dark Cloud, Rogue Galaxy or Fantasy Life get a new game then I hope they do a bit more with them. Particularly Dark Cloud where I'd like to see more in depth Simulation / Town Building aspects (Not like Ni no Kuni 2) and get rid of the old hardware restricted room-load-room system. Fantasy Life where I'd like to see it bigger and more varied with full drop-in/out co-op right out the door. They could do better advanced classes and allow them to do more with them. I don't have a lot to say on Rogue Galaxy, but I'd hope they modernized the control scheme and made the gameplay feel more Action RPG. Be the Star Ocean that Star Ocean fails to be.

I adored Fantasy Life!  It would be great to see another one of those games.

I played through Ever Oasis and it was good, just didn't grab me as much as Fantasy Life did.  If anyone can suggest other games like it, I would appreciate it.

That is some awkward running animation.
Caligula Overdose does look a bit janky and lagged sometimes in the video, but anything is better than how the first one ran. I gave up a bit after cause the battles were already slow with planning, but took forever with slow animation. Also game just didn't run well, and a bit boring getting to know a million generic people.

Very flawed game overall, but I do want to play it where it's a playable flawed game at least since the equally flawed animation isn't a substitute either. Sounds like the perfect game to get on discount though.

I adored Fantasy Life! It would be great to see another one of those games.

I played through Ever Oasis and it was good, just didn't grab me as much as Fantasy Life did. If anyone can suggest other games like it, I would appreciate it.
Rune Factory is the only other one I can think of. I don't know if there's anything newer than Rune Factory Oceans though.

Edit: Oh, Rune Factory 4, duh.

Rune Factory is the only other one I can think of. I don't know if there's anything newer than Rune Factory Oceans though.

Edit: Oh, Rune Factory 4, duh.
Heh, that's funny. I have Rune Factory 4 right next to Fantasy Life in my game case, I just haven't gotten around to playing it yet.

I may make that next to play from my backlog, thanks!

Not really much this week and again it's mostly ports. I guess that makes it easier for people to buy Red Dead Redemption 2. Except for me because Rockstar doesn't like simultaneous PC releases.

Other stuff that released without warning last week or I overlooked it (Assume PC unless otherwise noted):
- Sakura MMO (Visual Novel)
- Eroico (Action-Platformer / Smut)
- Damsel (Action-Platformer / Fast-Paced)

Weekly Releases (October 21st - October 27th)

BugsBoxVR
- Platform(s): PS4 VR
- Genre: Action / Puzzle
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A
- Comments: VR version of the previously released BugsBox. Korean dev.

Castlevania Requiem: Symphony of the Night & Rondo of Blood
- Platform(s): PS4
- Genre: Metroidvania / Action-Platformer
- Comments: Digital only. Contains both Rondo of Blood and its sequel Symphony of the Night. Upscales to 4K with rendering options and trophies.

My Hero One's Justice
- Platform(s): PS4, Switch, XB1, PC
- Genre: Arena Brawler
- Online: Yes.

Dragon Sinker (LRG Physical)
- Platform(s): PS4, Vita
- Genre: RPG
- Comments: Limited Run Games physical pre-order. KEMCO mobile port.

WindJammers
- Platform(s): Switch
- Genre: Arcade / Sports
- Online: Probably?
- Comments: Previously released on PS4, Vita.

1001 Ultimate Mahjong 2
- Genre: Puzzle / Mahjong Solitaire

Black & White Bushido
- Genre: Arena Brawler / Action-Platformer
- Comments: Previously released on PC.

Eternum EX
- Platform(s): Switch, PC
- Genre: Action-Platformer / Retro

Luke & Rebecca
- Genre: Stealth / Heist
- Online: ???
- Comments: Contains 2-player play, but I think it's tied to local only. Not completely sure.

Pianista: The Legendary Virtuoso
- Genre: Rhythm / Music / Piano
- Comments: Korean dev.

Super Hyperactive Ninja
- Genre: Action-Platformer / 2D / Fast-Paced
- Comments: Previously released on PS4, XB1 & PC.

Touhou Genso Wanderer -Reloaded-
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Roguelike / RPG
- Comments: Previously released on PS4.

Megadimension Neptunia VIIR
- Platform(s): PC VR
- Genre: RPG
- Comments: Previously released on PS4.

Disgaea 5 Complete
- Genre: SRPG
- Comments: Previously released on PS4 & Switch.

Summer Lotus
- Genre: Visual Novel
- Comments: Chinese dev.

King of Queendoms
- Genre: Visual Novel / Smut

Loca-Love My Cute Roommate

Sabbat of the Witch

The Ditzy Demons Are in Love With Me
- Genre: Visual Novel / Smut

Talk to Yuno

Past Releases
October 14th - October 20th
October 7th - October 13th
September 30th - October 6th
September 23rd - September 29th
September 16th - September 22nd

EDIT: Added in about half a dozen PC games that I somehow missed.

While they may not be high profile in your eyes, there is 3 good looking VNs coming out this week. Sabbat of the Witch, The Ditzy Demons Are in Love With Me, and Loca-Love. All should be on Steam and 18+ I believe with patches or what not. I can't wait and am not sure which to play first, though I hear Sabbat of the Witch is really, really good.

While they may not be high profile in your eyes, there is 3 good looking VNs coming out this week. Sabbat of the Witch, The Ditzy Demons Are in Love With Me, and Loca-Love. All should be on Steam and 18+ I believe with patches or what not. I can't wait and am not sure which to play first, though I hear Sabbat of the Witch is really, really good.
I must have missed clicking the 'View Unfiltered Search Results' button if I missed those. Bah, such as a hassle. I'll go back through and add those later, which will probably add a couple extra too.

EDIT: Added them in. Everything after Touhou. Going through the upcoming release list again made me realize I did not miss the unfiltered search results button. Maybe I missclicked some other filter that caused it to limit my search results because I saw some that I recalled going over that were in the unfiltered results, yet somehow I missed Disgaea 5 and Neptunia which are obvious hits and not ones that would be filtered.

breath of fire four is such a tease with the other characters sections.  wake up at the cabin and all you get to do is go outside and it switches back to ryu.   then you wake up again later and get to grab one chest, fight one random encounter then the boss and its back to ryu again. Let me play as the other guy game D:

I haven played it, but that Langrisser got some really bad reviews.
I could only make myself play the first fight, but it's like a very bad version of fire emblem. Though back when i purchased mine, new copies came with a nice artbooklet.

anybody order from play asia lately? getting worried some of my orders are a little too late, expecting psykio vol 1 already since it shipped at release

anybody order from play asia lately? getting worried some of my orders are a little too late, expecting psykio vol 1 already since it shipped at release
My order for RXN -RAIJIN- [LIMITED EDITION] recently shipped 3 days ago and the tracking shows "The item is pre-advised" with the latest update as of today. Shipping method is PostNL ePac.

Looking at my orders, I haven't purchased much from them. Last order was from 4 years ago and was a digital code, which I recall had some issues. Last physical item I ordered was from 10 years ago, soundtrack for Shadow of the Colossus.

bread's done
Back