Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a heads up. I'm putting my weekly posts for releases and free PSN games on hold indefinitely for personal reasons. I will likely pick them up again, but right now I don't know when. If someone else wants to do it in the mean time, feel free to.

Just a heads up. I'm putting my weekly posts for releases and free PSN games on hold indefinitely for personal reasons. I will likely pick them up again, but right now I don't know when. If someone else wants to do it in the mean time, feel free to.
Be well good sir, and thanks.

So will Lalatina's attacks always miss?
I was going to just like this and move on, but then I thought that could actually be a neat game mechanic; she has a 100% chance to hit/crit a random target other than the one selected, and a 0% chance to hit when there is only one enemy. Give her some protect others ability so she's not useless against one monster and there you go.

Thanks for all the times you put up the weekly updates. I know it was a bunch of work, and just want you to know I appreciated it. Good luck with whatever it is you have going on, and I hope all is well.

Considering how ridiculously popular Persona is, that Vita is the weeb platform, and that it was the only game in the top ten that didn't count digital, I'd expect it to be much higher.

Considering how ridiculously popular Persona is, that Vita is the weeb platform, and that it was the only game in the top ten that didn't count digital, I'd expect it to be much higher.
That and it was regularly discounted to I think 5$ prior to atlus increasing prices for almost everything on psn once p5 was close to release.

Is not surprised pokemon dominated the top tens for nintendo.  Yet nintendo won't make more pokemon stadiums.  that was a great pokemon battler, you could play the gbc games on your tv an it had good party games too.

For anyone who wants one, GameFly has the Day One Edition of Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA (PS4) for $34.99 + Shipping. Game's getting pretty rare and expensive so it's a steal at that price.
Good game, i bought this edition at launch (before the relocalization patch) and enjoyed it. Comes with a soft art booklet. Personally I'm going to wait/hope that the once-broken steam version comes down in price eventually

Sony really has their collective heads shoved up their ass with this censorship bullshit. It's so unreasonably biased towards anime-styled games, too. I don't get it.
I hope Nintendo stays the course. They've really got a chance to shatter that image of being platform "for children."

I'll be honest, I haven't kept up with Disney movies for years. I probably wont even have seen most of the movies the worlds in Kingdom Hearts 3 will be based on. I'm only interested in the Kingdom Hearts part of Kingdom Hearts 3, because I've been following this plot (barely) since I was in highschool and want to know how it ends.
That's too bad, because Moana and Brave were both really great movies. Baymax was up there too.

That's too bad, because Moana and Brave were both really great movies. Baymax was up there too.
The wife and I just watched Coco last night, it was also very good. Not sure if the game uses that at all, but it'd be a really cool world to visit as far as the visuals and concepts go.

Any opinions on the NISA games on sale at Best Buy? Reviews are all in the 60s but I know these kind of games don't review well in the west even at the best of times.

Oh, they're in the CAG Twitter. I shouldn't had assumed

Happy Birthday for Switch $29.99

Touhou Genso Wanderer Reloaded for Switch or PS4 $29.99

Fallen Legion for Switch $29.99

The Lost Child for PS4 $19.99 for Switch $29.99

Longest Five Minutes for Switch $19.99

Penny Punching Princess for Switch $19.99

The Witch and the Hundred Knights 2 for PS4 $29.99

Excuse the lack of links  I'm working from my phone

Played the demo for Happy Birthdayon PS4, regret buying the CE.

Bought Touhou Genso Wanderer Reloaded used, but it's one of the Shiren/Curry God/Omega Labyrinth style dungeon crawlers. Not my favorite, and not the cheapest.

Lost Child has such horrible reviews that I don't know if I should even bother, and I've played most DRPGs. Which is, sadly, the only reason why I want it at all.

Witch and the Hundred Knight was meh, 2 was probably meh.

Penny Punching Princess might be worth it for the price, especially if you have GCU.

You guys forgot to mention YS VIII on the PS4. This is probably the first time I've seen it on sale. However I bought it back on launch day, it is worth the price sale of $39.99 . Get a copy since it is a good game but people will probably get the Switch version. 

You guys forgot to mention YS VIII on the PS4. This is probably the first time I've seen it on sale. However I bought it back on launch day, it is worth the price sale of $39.99 . Get a copy since it is a good game but people will probably get the Switch version.
It sold out pretty fast. I saw the twitter post 40 minutes after it was posted and it was already sold out. Not a single Best Buy had it within a 250 mile radius either. 😭

It sold out pretty fast. I saw the twitter post 40 minutes after it was posted and it was already sold out. Not a single Best Buy had it within a 250 mile radius either.
Today just happen to be the day I didn't check BestBuy for game deals since they never change. There are a few copies around my area but driving 200 miles back and forth for it is a little too much. Can always go for the Switch version too.

I am neutral on Longest Five Minutes. I've played an OK amount of it on Vita and it was honestly pretty average. Feels very generic and you just get to see snippets from a battle and previous adventures. It's OK, but not amazing.

I need Gamefly to put this on sale

I bought Ys VIII for PS4 last night and missed today's brief sale. Thankfully, after 15 minutes in chat with CS, they matched the discounted price with GCU and refunded the difference ($48 to $32).

Since there was no way I would have noticed and ordered it at $40 today, ordering in advance was pretty much the best possible thing I could have done. I ordered last night because the discussion about Gamefly offering it used for $34.99 led to people mentioning that it's getting scarce, so I figured it probably wouldn't drop in price before going OOS. I was wrong in the best way.

Fallen Legion is not very good.
That's generous. I have it on Switch and finished one of the two campaigns. It's plain bad. The combat is fun for the couple hours, but can't carry the game. The story is completely bland and only two the two main protagonists have anything resembling character growth. The "living" world is also a complete mess. It's just some sequences that get unlocked under certain conditions. The problem is that those sequences can be unlocked in orders that make no sense. I actually unlocked a mission in which a character, who had already died in the main story, was alive in. And then I unlocked another mission in a which a character I had already recruited to join my party was the final enemy.

Makes no sense. There's also very little customization.

The game has a few good aspects. The morality system in battles is fun and that its combat is engaging but lacks variety. The writing is also authentic in terms of vernacular. Some people praise the artwork, but I don't think it's that good. The paper-doll animation looks budgeted and character design is utterly forgettable.

I placed an order for pickup near me - did Best Buy ever have a separate listing for the steelbook or is there a chance it could be one?

square has some kind of weird A.D.D. with all their development branches and teams.  They need to restructure and demote everyone in charge since it is very apparent the people are not management potential.

WARNING: Nothing rant incoming!

Can you fathom the level of shitshow to which they are going to completely ruin this remake? I can. At the very least you know that we're getting 3+ separate $200 collector's editions lmao!

SquareEnix has gotten too big for their britches and really doesn't understand their niche. It's all about revenue, cashflow, and merchandising now instead of focusing on creating pure, unadulterated FF experiences. Just look what they did with FF13 and FF15. Stop with all of that shit. Cut the fat. Release the game, stop, and take the unused assets and put them towards the next numbered entry. Enough already.

They just milk and exploit every single main entry without even making the characters or the universe any more interesting. We get one main title per console cycle now. There's so much bloat that it's disgusting. SE makes countless crappy FF spinoffs nobody asked for. They're simulacra; these games are sequels of sequels, or spinoffs of spinoffs. These DS, Wii, Vita, and mobile games are copies of things that don't have an original. Coming to you soon: Nostalgia: the game, part 47. "Remember the Cactuar from that one game you played?" *wink wink* I honestly don't even understand how it's profitable, or who is buying all these crappy FF games and merchandise. They can't even get 'Mog' plushies right; people are desensitized to them and the company pumps out so much junk.

The poor state of this franchise is such a shame. It doesn't have to be this way.

SquareEnix has been in love with the smell of their own farts for over a decade. Since FF12 in 2006 the only things they've really done right were two MMOs on PC, and they each have had their own issues.

bread's done
Back