Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
PS4 BC means I can trade in my Pro and get a nice discount on day 1 for a PS5.
Hmmm I've never done this before (actually keep all my consoles) but it makes sense for PS5. However don't you sort of need to keep both for save transfers? (I'm old) I suppose PS+? What if I don't have it at that time?

You could manually back up all of your downloads/saves anywhere. (If you're backing up full downloads then the drive can't be used for anything else, but saves can be copied onto any drive.) If you don't have any way to do that then you'll have to keep your current system to transfer.

Hmmm I've never done this before (actually keep all my consoles) but it makes sense for PS5. However don't you sort of need to keep both for save transfers? (I'm old) I suppose PS+? What if I don't have it at that time?
ps+ doesn't have enough room for all your saves and such according to numerous posters.

There honestly isn't much to talk about. No one ever joins in discussing when I do my visual novel releases and announcements so eh. The announcements have been sparse lately. I could go for some people playing the games and doing some type of reviews like Draekon did. 

There honestly isn't much to talk about. No one ever joins in discussing when I do my visual novel releases and announcements so eh. The announcements have been sparse lately. I could go for some people playing the games and doing some type of reviews like Draekon did.
I read most of your mini reviews out of curiosity. But I never play those types of VNs, so I just don't have much to add haha.

Even though I have a couple dozen VNs, I don't really play them, so I don't have anything to add either.

Occasionally, something catches my eye (Newton and the Apple Tree), but then I get put off cause it's Sekai Project anyways.

As for Sony and censorship, it's been discussed to death around here, IMO.

Yeah I'm totally behind on my VNs too. I haven't played any of the Otome Vita ones and am behind on so many others. I am almost done with a librarian like a good shepherd (excellent IMHO I'll give a good review when I'm done with the last few routes). I still buy them on release though for Mangagamer and some Denpasoft ones I want to be supported. Trinoline is coming soon, but i'm waiting for it on Steam. I do appreciate people posting real deals though or the games in bundles or whatever.

There's been a decent amount of people that seem to be posting less, myself included. I used to enjoy posting funny stuff along with news and deals but if you notice for example my last two posts I just toss the info without so much as even including a cute anime girl reaction gif.

Me and BlackRockWaifu created a Discord channel earlier this year for the users on this thread to join since we knew with Supplice and Draekon no longer posting that it would make this thread become less active and eventually causing users to leave. But we never bothered to invite anyone so it's just been sitting there collecting dust (hell I forgot it even existed). BlackRockWaifu was suppose to promote it but he never did, so If anyone is interested in joining it feel free to send BlackRockWaifu a PM or hit the Like button on this post so I'll know who is.

8nFULp7.gif

The more popular series have been dormant for a while and it feels kinda pointless to alert people to $5 Neptunia Rebirth games. Golden Week is in about two weeks so there will probably be a good number of deals then.

Dont send me a pm lol, I have no idea what he's talking about.

I've kinda lost interest in niche games as of late, and my new hobby is watching Japanese women wrestle.

Frankly, I wouldn’t mind a higher ratio of deals to discussion ITT.
Square Enix Humble Bundle

Forgotton Anne and Tokyo Dark look interesting.

Also don't forget Bandai Humble Bundle has 5 more days.

Btw, if you get the $15 tier for SAO: Fatal Bullet, they just released a new update that added a few new costumes and quests. There's another free update scheduled for the summer.

https://gematsu.com/2019/03/sword-art-online-fatal-bullet-free-updates-due-out-this-spring-and-summer

In additional news, Left Alive actually got an update so I guess they haven't given up on it completely.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/714370/announcements/detail/3293729478136973598

I too am someone who appreciates deals news in this thread, big or small, so thanks to everyone for contributing to that! O:)

I typically play games at my own pace and rarely anything recently released.  Like the most recently released game I played last was tales of berseria and that released almost 3 years ago I believe.  Right now I'm playing pokemon soul silver and a little ff theater rhythm curtain call alternating for variety.  Though I prettymuch already completed theater rhythm as the only things left to do are unlocking the remaining characters via shards which is heavily rng based idiotically, and doing each of the songs on their 3 difficulties. 

PS+ online storage for PS4 was increased to 100GB at some point, so that should be plenty (PS3/Vita is still at 1GB though)
I think it depends on the person but most people in the psn thread said they filled that cap already. Frisky off the top of my head iirc.

I think it depends on the person but most people in the psn thread said they filled that cap already. Frisky off the top of my head iirc.
Are you sure that wasn't under the old sizes? A quick search online seems to point to most game saves being 100MB or less, with a few standouts like FFXV (which can vary depending on your picture apparantely) being a high point at 600MB.

Not saying it's impossible or anything, but I imagine that it's extremely rare for anyone to fill that up.

I've had my eye on Forgotton Anne for a while, but it seems like the kind of thing that will get picked up by LRG or some other copycat (or at the very least get an Asian-English release). Lord knows my backlog's long enough so I've been biding my time.
Forgotten Anne does have a demo on Switch, for those with that system. I played it and am going to buy it at some point, but am waiting on a steeper sale on the PS4 version.

I didn't even realize that there was a cap haha. With only playing 1st party and niche Japanese games on the PS4, I expect that I'll never fill mine up. That would be super annoying to have to worry about. 

This thread can't die, I need to remind everyone to buy Rune Factory 4 Special and Rune Factory 5 when they come out

ee5.jpg

You wouldn't let Jack Frost die, would you?

This thread is one of the only reasons why I even check this site anymore. I'm no longer broke so I can actually afford whatever I want. 

Today is sale day for Nurse Love Syndrome (Vita) at Limited Run Games.  Only the CE is currently in stock now, but more standard versions will go back in stock at 6pm EDT today.

Nurse Love Syndrome is lasting a bit longer too because of the more expensive price. I think if you're there for the later batch (for standard copies) you should be able to get a copy.

Nurse Love Syndrome is lasting a bit longer too because of the more expensive price. I think if you're there for the later batch (for standard copies) you should be able to get a copy.
Yeah I’m sure anyone should be able to grab a copy as the 1st one lasted longer because of price so I definitely see this one lasting a bit longer at the 6pm release.

Does anyone know if Nurse Love Syndrome or Nurse Love Addiction are available on PC through any other service but Steam? It doesn’t look like Degica sells directly on their ownvsite like Mangagamer, so I’m guessing no, but thought I’d check.

The Neptunia DLC from the other day reverted the Rebrith games to having the Japanese Playstation/Nintendo button layout. 

Atelier Lulua with (Pre-order) Bonus is now available on PSN. There's also a deluxe version that comes bundled with a "Season Pass" that is the extra costumes for Lulua. 

I leave for Japan in a couple of weeks, so I'm trying to bulldoze my way through as much as the CCC event in FGO as possible. Got Melt and Lip in 30 tickets, so I'm happy about that. 

Persona 5 Royale releasing 10/31 in Japan & 2020 in West.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJzcSKyCzZs[/media]

[media]https://twitter.com/AtlusUSA/status/1121039866240720896?s=20[/media]

Full price re-release like Persona 4 Golden with PS4 as the target system instead of PS3/PS4. PS4 Pro enhanced.

New girl is a new Phantom Theif.

I'm okay with 2020, will be up for another playthough by that time.  My initial thought on the new girl was that she's a female Joker option like P3P.  But there is a scene where they're both on screen so maybe not.

bread's done
Back