Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am talking stagger in the context of action games. You hit the opponent and then they can't do anything until you finish your combo or it ends via some other method (like in fighting games your character is pushed backwards each hit so you eventually are out of range.) FF15 had no reliable stagger system at all. Most enemies have no reaction whatsoever when you attack them and the ones that do can just break out of the combo at random points. People spent time trying to figure out how the mechanics worked but it boiled down to just being fairly random iirc.
So basically what you mean is a consistent stagger system not lacking a stagger system completely like your original post. On that note I agree. It only seemed like your party would get consistently staggered while enemies were completely random outside the robot soldiers.

I will probably just use some Gamestop points on 13 Sentinels.  Will be my only non Black Friday sale or limited release purchase aside from Robotic;Notes and Yakuza 7 for rest of the year

Edit: Forgot I also got Trails of Cold Steel IV from NISA store

Anyone else looking forward to 13 sentinels, which comes out next week?.
Wasn't on my radar at all, knew nothing about it until looking at some screenshots today. Immediately recognized the vanillaware style. I love Odin Sphere so yeah i'm going to have to get this now.

Yeah, I totally missed that 13 Sentinels was a Vanillaware game.  I'm probably going to have to get it now.  It really sucks not having GCU anymore.  My cheapest options are therefore Target (with Red Card) or Bull Moose.

Best Buy will likely have it back in stock just after 1am on release date, but since I don't have GCU anymore it doesn't really matter to me.

Something tells me 13 Sentinels wont have as much stock since it seems more niche than the usual Atlus title. Also got shipping for my Moreo Crystal H from Play-Asia. Very nice!
Lucky, mine's still packing. I pre-ordered 13 Sentinels to secure the artbook, but yeah I predict very few restocks for it.

Oh what does everyone think of NISA's stealth announcement, Poison Control (Shouju Jigoku no Doku Musume)? Did it get good reviews in Japan? I love the aesthetic and the narrative reminds me of Criminal Girls, which I loved. But, the gameplay looks really bland. Because I'm such a dirty weeb, I'll probably get it regardless.

https://www.siliconera.com/poison-control-is-shoujo-jigoku-no-doku-musumes-english-name/

Here's the pre-order from NISA. You'll get free shipping if you buy the game and this little acrylic stand of one of the characters (lowest shipping cost for me is $11 and the stand is $13, so kind of a no-brainer):

https://store.nisamerica.com/catalog/product/view/id/1540/s/poison-control-limited-edition-nintendo-switch/category/195/

EDIT: whoops, forgot the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZck8HBCCDM

Oh what does everyone think of NISA's stealth announcement, Poison Control (Shouju Jigoku no Doku Musume)? Did it get good reviews in Japan? I love the aesthetic and the narrative reminds me of Criminal Girls, which I loved. But, the gameplay looks really bland. Because I'm such a dirty weeb, I'll probably get it regardless.

https://www.siliconera.com/poison-control-is-shoujo-jigoku-no-doku-musumes-english-name/

Here's the pre-order from NISA. You'll get free shipping if you buy the game and this little acrylic stand of one of the characters (lowest shipping cost for me is $11 and the stand is $13, so kind of a no-brainer):

https://store.nisamerica.com/catalog/product/view/id/1540/s/poison-control-limited-edition-nintendo-switch/category/195/

EDIT: whoops, forgot the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZck8HBCCDM
I think she looks like Zero Two from DARLING IN THE FRANXX

So I guess the reason why NIS isn't announcing Disgaea 6 on the PS4 in the west is because they'll likely announce it for the PS5 later instead ya?

So I guess the reason why NIS isn't announcing Disgaea 6 on the PS4 in the west is because they'll likely announce it for the PS5 later instead ya?
That or previous sales numbers point to Switch. I'm sure we'll be getting a complete version later on, so maybe that one will be on Switch, PS5 and PC

Keep in mind that NIS originally denied that ports or a "complete" version of Disgaea 5 would happen, and since then that's happened on the Switch.

That to say - I don't even know if NIS knows what they're doing at this point, but it's worth waiting to see. As far as I know no Disgaea games are currently higher than MSRP so you'll only ever be able to get it cheaper or more complete down the line.
"has revealed why they will not release the game on any other Sony consoles." Is relevantly different from releasing a port on other systems besides sony ones. since they were doing psp/vita rereleases of all the games as their enhanced plus versions at the time.

So yeah you are just flat out ignoring what was said and making illogical conclusions. "I think there are people waiting for a “Return” version with all of the contents [and DLC] included, but I’m sorry, that will not happen this time.”

Is different from its not ever gonna happen. Ignoring that this also applies more specifically to the vita as I don't think the switch even existed then given that this article is from 6 years ago.

I'm not saying that companies don't do crappy stuff but in many cases where things are worded vaguely or specifically it is the fault of the reader for taking meanings out of articles that aren't there.

NIS is kind of a shit company. That's really all it is.
Yeah they aren't the greatest certainly. Their localizations leave a lot to be desired (granted they did improve Ys 8 after the patch fixed all but 1 error during my playthrough that I saw) But in this case they didn't do anything stupid for once. They said it wouldn't get a plus version on the vita and it didn't.

Yeah they aren't the greatest certainly. Their localizations leave a lot to be desired (granted they did improve Ys 8 after the patch fixed all but 1 error during my playthrough that I saw) But in this case they didn't do anything stupid for once. They said it wouldn't get a plus version on the vita and it didn't.
You realize NIS and NISA are virtually separate entities, right?

So yeah you are just flat out ignoring what was said and making illogical conclusions. "I think there are people waiting for a “Return” version with all of the contents [and DLC] included, but I’m sorry, that will not happen this time.”
Is different from its not ever gonna happen. Ignoring that this also applies more specifically to the vita as I don't think the switch even existed then given that this article is from 6 years ago.
If you think the bolded section is an "illogical conclusion", especially after reading the context in the interview, I don't really know how to help you. They said (paraphrasing) "we're not going to port to other devices because they aren't as powerful and that would restrict the game" and then ported it to another, less powerful console . They also said that they wouldn't release a "Return"/"Complete"/whatever edition and did anyway.

I'd also note that I'm not trying to imply that NIS was malicious or deceitful. The Switch didn't exist when that interview was given, and apparently the market potential of a port was enough to make them change their mind. Things change and that's the point I'm making - they're saying "Switch exclusive" for Disgaea 6 in the West, but it's completely possible that that's not the full story and there's really no harm in waiting to see since there is absolutely a trend of enhanced ports for the franchise.

"Things change and that's the point I'm making - they're saying "Switch exclusive" for Disgaea 6 in the West, but it's completely possible that that's not the full story and there's really no harm in waiting to see since there is absolutely a trend of enhanced ports for the franchise."

I am in agreement on that part.  And these companies are experts in lawyerspeak so they keep things vague enough in their wording to avoid such situations usually.  It's rare for them to say no vs at this time. And even rarer for it to happen anyway like with tales of hearts r getting localized despite the company saying that it vesperia ps3 and toir would not get localized prior.

I ended up ordering 13 Sentinels from Target with the extra discounts today (10% off video games, 5% off coupon for Red Card users, 5% off for using Red Card).

Just curious, what was the pretax total after those?
Unfortunately it was part of a large order so the actual price I paid before taxes is a little hard to figure out. When they ship it (hopefully soon) I will have the exact amount for that one game as their shipping email always breaks it down by each item that was shipped. If my calculations are correct should be about the same price GCU should have been ($47.99) give or take a little depending on which amount they took the final 5% off.

You realize NIS and NISA are virtually separate entities, right?
It always amazes me how many people don't understand these western offices for most niche games are pretty much just independent companies who send their profits back to Japan through stock dividends.

It always amazes me how many people don't understand these western offices for most niche games are pretty much just independent companies who send their profits back to Japan through stock dividends.
I mean, some are more connected to their Japanese branches than others, but NISA doesn’t even limit themselves to publishing NIS’s games—or even games in general.

Yeah, NISA isn't going to know everything NIS has planned. And that's on the small Niche side. Even Nintendo of America and Nintendo of Europe aren't 100% in the know about everything going on at Nintendo of Japan. Not saying they are completely in the dark, but I'm sure things that are in development get some work going on them before the other companies have a chance to express interest in bringing them over for localization.

header.jpg

The Castlevania inspired game Midnight Castle Succubus (18+) is now available on Steam.

See official trailer (NSFW) or Steam Reviews page. (Didn't link to the store page since you have to be logged into Steam to actually view it since the game has adult content).

Catherine Full Body PS4 - Steelbook Edition was $17.98 on clearance at Target today. 207-34-0365 Launch editions are mixed with the standard editions.

Code Vein PS4 was marked down to $8.98. 207-34-1749 $14.xx at other stores where they had tons of copies.
Thanks for this, I finally made the time to go check this at a target a little out of the way, but finally hit on one of these target clearance deals.

Whole stack behind behind the barricade was the steelbook version of Catherine and they also had overflowing amount of Code Vein which I also tried to get, but their system wouldn't allow the sale to go through, so was only able to get 1 of 2 here.

I grabbed a spare of Catherine, if anyone was also looking to grab this PM me.

The Monster Hunter Rise Collector’s edition is popping up at various places for preorder and includes the $25 Magnamalo amiibo and is the only way to get the any of the amiibo from a store besides GameStop. GameStop is also currently taking preorders for the 3 amiibo separately. Unfortunately, Magnamalo is $25 individually and the Palico and Palamute are $20 each.
I’m glad I don’t have to import these but I also don’t want to necessarily support GameStop’s foolishness.

The Monster Hunter Rise Collector’s edition is popping up at various places for preorder and includes the $25 Magnamalo amiibo and is the only way to get the any of the amiibo from a store besides GameStop. GameStop is also currently taking preorders for the 3 amiibo separately. Unfortunately, Magnamalo is $25 individually and the Palico and Palamute are $20 each.
I’m glad I don’t have to import these but I also don’t want to necessarily support GameStop’s foolishness.
I'm really hoping these amiibo are just larger than normal and not that Gamestop is charging a premium because they're the only ones that have them.

Nice to see them say that 99% of PS4 games are BC with the PS5.  For a while it was sounding like we'd get a short list of games.  I have a selection of PS4 games I haven't made time for (Yakuza, Shenmue, No Mans Sky, ..etc) ... so the idea is to get a PS5 instead of using my son's old og PS4 and then play the games on it.   I'll still wait for after launch just in case there are massive hardware issues with the launch version.

Nice to see them say that 99% of PS4 games are BC with the PS5. For a while it was sounding like we'd get a short list of games. I have a selection of PS4 games I haven't made time for (Yakuza, Shenmue, No Mans Sky, ..etc) ... so the idea is to get a PS5 instead of using my son's old og PS4 and then play the games on it. I'll still wait for after launch just in case there are massive hardware issues with the launch version.
Yup, a holiday 2021 buy for me.

The English track is on a patch? Seriously? Can't bother to put that on the disc? Ugh.
Yeah, I was bummed too, but fwiw the dub was delayed because of Covid and not available in time to make it on the disc. Glad they were able to get it to us as a day 1 patch, at least.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/13_Sentinels%3A_Aegis_Rim#Release

The team were beginning English dub recording when the COVID-19 pandemic disrupted their schedule.[43] The only actor to finish recording before the pandemic forced Atlus West to close their sound studios was Kaiji Tang, who voiced Hijiyama.[44] The studio heads, voice actors and localizers collaborated on a solution, with the actors doing the rest of their recording using conference call software within makeshift sound studio environments set up within their homes.[43] Due to the makeshift recording conditions, the sound editing department at Atlus West had a greater workload cleaning up recordings to ensure uniform sound quality. Also due to the remote recording conditions, the usual joking and banter during in-studio recordings did not happen, with the Atlus West staff and actors alternating mike usage between recording and feedback. Shorter recording sessions, together with connection problems that occurred from time to time and the toll of isolation on both actors and sound staff, also proved difficult.[44] Doyon referred to 13 Sentinels as her favorite video game project up to that point in her career.[43]

How's :ps4: Punch Line ($10 in current psn sale) for someone unfamiliar with the source (or any) anime?
I was surprised by the story when I played it on Vita (written by the same guy who handled the Zero Escape games) and recommend it at that price if you're a fan of visual novels.

bread's done
Back