Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice feedback on Like a Dragon. I'll eventually get it to add to my yakuza collection, but I've been concerned about it since I'm not big on turn based games outside of a few franchises... and tend to lean more towards action these days. I plan to grab a copy when it hits $30 since my son has the ps4 and has moved out and I'm probably going to wait till I'm ready for a PS5 before I even get to dig through my small ps4 library.
I'm also not a huge turn based gamer. I was way back in the PS1 days but these days I no longer feel I have the patience for it. It's been great to me that FFVIIR went for a mixture of action / turn based that was geared more towards the action side. Yakuza goes the opposite way shifting more towards turn based but is still very fast paced and well designed. It was probably my biggest concern going into the game but they nailed it well. Also surprising I'm actually playing on Xbox (One X) and I'm stunned by how well it runs. Absolutely stunning visually, and I feel like the load times are basically non-existent. I'm sure the game looks and plays even better on Series X and PS5 but damn if this doesn't feel like a next gen game to me. Again coming off of Watch Dogs which felt painfully last gen lol

Started playing Judgement again on the PS5 backwards compatibility. The performance is night and day vs my base ps4. Very clean with no slowdowns like I was noticing when playing before. Going to wait for the PS5 upgrade to play Yakuza Like a Dragon but have it already. BTW if anyone wants me to test a backwards compatible RPG or such, I can check if I own it and try it. I used two of my PS4 controllers with the PS5 so they work well with it and I will play the PS4 games with that controller. 

Started playing Judgement again on the PS5 backwards compatibility. The performance is night and day vs my base ps4. Very clean with no slowdowns like I was noticing when playing before. Going to wait for the PS5 upgrade to play Yakuza Like a Dragon but have it already. BTW if anyone wants me to test a backwards compatible RPG or such, I can check if I own it and try it. I used two of my PS4 controllers with the PS5 so they work well with it and I will play the PS4 games with that controller.
Judgement is 30 FPS locked, yeah? I hope it gets a PS5 patch to bring it up to 60, especially with it not yet being on PC.

It may be, but the original PS4 stuttered in combat now and then. I'm talking more about the fluidity of gameplay, which I felt kind of underperformed on a base PS4. I don't really know much about the FPS honestly.

It may be, but the original PS4 stuttered in combat now and then. I'm talking more about the fluidity of gameplay, which I felt kind of underperformed on a base PS4. I don't really know much about the FPS honestly.
Did you play on PS4 or Pro? I played on my Pro and I feel like I don't really remember any stuttering but maybe I'm misremembering

Did you play on PS4 or Pro? I played on my Pro and I feel like I don't really remember any stuttering but maybe I'm misremembering
Launch PS4. It mainly made combat a lot less clean. I'm making the leap from base PS4 to PS5, so I may not notice pro improvements that were already there.

Yep and I was the one to discover it or at least I have never heard it mentioned before. I also checked on other platforms like the ps3 and it doesn't give them analog support on there with a pro controller. It's a feature specifically tied to the vita tv for whatever reason. And it doesn't work with a regular ps4 controller as I also tested that on ps3 and vita tv. No idea on the pc side since I don't have either game on steam to test it out with but I would assume since its pc that it would work as button inputs are usually customizable.

You have to wonder how many other titles it works with. Of course that's moot for ff7 since the hd remaster adds in analog support iirc. But for chrono trigger that's not available elsewhere.
There’s a PS4 Pro controller?

The V2 PS4 controller added a thin lightbar strip along the top of the touch pad, in addition to the big one that's on the top by the charging port that both versions have. That's the easiest way to discern them.
Speaking of controllers, I don’t like the default PS5 settings of mic on and a light to appear when you go mute. Anyway to change that? I’d much prefer the other way on both settings.

Maybe he means the 2nd gen PS4 controller?
The second version controller is called the pro controller or at least that's how I've always heard it called. Though I guess it's not official.

The V2 PS4 controller added a thin lightbar strip along the top of the touch pad, in addition to the big one that's on the top by the charging port that both versions have. That's the easiest way to discern them.
Yep.

Correct. The DualSense LED's cannot be shut off. Additionally, if you mute the mic it turns on another LED just below the PS button. So if you toggle the setting "Mute mic on login" you now get two LED's staring you in the face.

The Iffy store's Holiday Sale is live. Free shipping at $57.99. Free Top Nep mask at $60.

Some of the deals:
Arc of Alchemist (PS4/Switch) $14.99
Death End re:Quest 2 (PS4) $34.99
date a live (PS4) $24.99
Azur Lane:Cross wave (PS4) $24.99

https://www.iffysonlinestore.com/

The Iffy store's Holiday Sale is live. Free shipping at $57.99. Free Top Nep mask at $60.

Some of the deals:
Arc of Alchemist (PS4/Switch) $14.99
Death End re:Quest 2 (PS4) $34.99
date a live (PS4) $24.99
Azur Lane:Cross wave (PS4) $24.99

https://www.iffysonlinestore.com/
Thanks - I have been meaning to pick up Arc of Alchemist, so got one each for Switch and PS4 at that price. Also added Death End re:Quest 2 for free shipping.

Thanks - I have been meaning to pick up Arc of Alchemist, so got one each for Switch and PS4 at that price. Also added Death End re:Quest 2 for free shipping.
Holy crap, you guys are going easy on it. Reviews are shitting on this game hard. I can't remember the last time a game legitimately got trashed so badly. I was tempted, but I'll save my money for something else.

Yeah Arc dropped to a regular sales price of $8 for digital almost immediately and  was a huge red flag for me. As stated before, I love Compile Heart trash but even this one is a bridge too far for me. 

Side note, it would appear Atelier Ryza 2 for PS4 is eligible for Target's B2G1 promotion along with Poison Control and NepNep Virtual Starts. Just ordered Ryza 2, CP2077, and Like a Dragon for $124 with my RedCard. 

Correct. The DualSense LED's cannot be shut off. Additionally, if you mute the mic it turns on another LED just below the PS button. So if you toggle the setting "Mute mic on login" you now get two LED's staring you in the face.
Great. How bad does it drain through the battery compared to the ps4 controller? At this point I'd almost they just not include batteries and let me put some AA batteries in.

Holy crap, you guys are going easy on it. Reviews are shitting on this game hard. I can't remember the last time a game legitimately got trashed so badly. I was tempted, but I'll save my money for something else.
Arc of Alchemist switch has a trade in value of 30 at eStarland. Dunno if that will hold, but it doesn’t seem like a game that would have many copies moving around.

Black friday prices are live at bestbuy. 

Notable deals are Nier Automata game of the yorha for 12.99, catherine full body switch 19.99, trials of mana 19.99 and persona 5r 19.99 (persona was already live earlier last week for my best buy members)

I want 13 Sentinels but BB sold out faster than I could make a decision and who knows if Amazon will price match it. GS is really the last store I want to buy from. I tried to order "new" games from them online the past and they always send gutted copies in rough condition from their stores. I know if I go in store it'll also be gutted and then you have the pleasure of dealing with their interesting customers and annoying employees... I only deal with them when I have store credit, I don't feel right spending real money in their store because the service and products are so lousy.
Amazon matched it, get it while you can

lol I bought 13 Sentinels full price like 5 days ago. oh well, game's incredible so far.

obligatory Yuki slav squat: 

yuki-squak-13-sentinels.gif

Holy crap, honestly I never actually thought we'd see another TWEWY. I am totally shocked. Gonna need to do a replay of the first game since it's been so long lol.

I had planned to put more time into Code Vein this weekend but those plans are now officially on hold as my Death End Re:Quest 2 LE for PS4 arrived from Ifi today. The messenger bag is far larger than I thought it would be and while not the highest quality bag, the image print is really well done. It also came with a bonus 10th anniversary Nep Nep card and face mask that I will not be wearing in public... except maybe at a Con.

Package Contents:

Between this package and the Azur Lane LE, I am quite pleased with Ifi's offerings and will continue to buy them for the games I am interested because I am sucker for Compile Heart trash.
I am considering AL Crosswave. should I buy the base on sale and wait for the DLC to drop in price or just go for the deluxe as it is already a good value?

I ordered Ys celceta ps4 since amazon warehouse deals had a bunch listed for under $30 last week.  I picked the vg one since it had what seemed like a dinger description.  It just arrived yesterday and it appears brand new with at most a slightly dented bottom corner (which is pretty unnoticeable at a glance) so not bad at all for 24.  Glad it worked out as I saw they were 30 new at best buy and other places semi recently. I only just played it on the vita I want to say a year or 2 ago so I won't be replaying it any time soon.  But it will be nice to play it again someday with a controller and such (granted I likely could have done that by playing it on the vitatv).  Here's the descrip of the one I ordered which they had more in stock of if anyone else wants to roll the dice and or missed out on new copies.  Very Good - Missing shrink-wrap, activation codes for bonus online content may be missing or expired. Item is missing insert. Small mark on disk. Small cosmetic damage on item case. Item may come repackaged.  It was 26.49 when I ordered it.

I really like the deluxe edition for Azur Lane and have no regrets spending $100 on it and $54 is an absolute steal for what you get in the box. The game itself is just okay and I cannot weigh in on the DLC since I had my fill chasing the Plat but I did enjoy my time with it. The question you should be asking yourself is how big of an AL fan are you? If you just want the game then get the standard and wait for the DLC to go on sale, it you want some good quality merch to take up space in your house then I'd go for the DE.

Oh hell, the difference between base and DE is only $30. If you're a fan of the franchise and if you can swing the extra cash, then yeah, DE all the way. 

Looking at the mini Shimakaze figure reminded me of the Chara figs that came with the Tales of Berseria CE. My preorder of that CE was mixed up and then cancelled since there were no more in stock without so much as an "oh sorry about that". Looking it up on ebay and seeing the prices was a bad idea and just rubbing salt into it.

I really like the deluxe edition for Azur Lane and have no regrets spending $100 on it and $54 is an absolute steal for what you get in the box. The game itself is just okay and I cannot weigh in on the DLC since I had my fill chasing the Plat but I did enjoy my time with it. The question you should be asking yourself is how big of an AL fan are you? If you just want the game then get the standard and wait for the DLC to go on sale, it you want some good quality merch to take up space in your house then I'd go for the DE.

Oh hell, the difference between base and DE is only $30. If you're a fan of the franchise and if you can swing the extra cash, then yeah, DE all the way.

Looking at the mini Shimakaze figure reminded me of the Chara figs that came with the Tales of Berseria CE. My preorder of that CE was mixed up and then cancelled since there were no more in stock without so much as an "oh sorry about that". Looking it up on ebay and seeing the prices was a bad idea and just rubbing salt into it.
I don't know if bamco's online store still sells the ce's but they typically put them on sale or at least did up to xillia 2 for around 30% off. So that could be an option for berseria if they have any still. They even used to do sales where you get increasing percentages off on the ce's the more you buy.

Is there any way to redeem a Nintendo Switch digital code for a game expansion that is from a different region (ie UK expansion pass code on a US game)? Sorry if this is the wrong thread, wasn't sure where else to ask.

Is there any way to redeem a Nintendo Switch digital code for a game expansion that is from a different region (ie UK expansion pass code on a US game)? Sorry if this is the wrong thread, wasn't sure where else to ask.
You'd probably need to switch you eshop region to the UK, redeem the code, and then switch back. I've never done it, but people have been switching regions to buy stuff for ages now... shouldn't be too hard to google an answer.

You'd probably need to switch you eshop region to the UK, redeem the code, and then switch back. I've never done it, but people have been switching regions to buy stuff for ages now... shouldn't be too hard to google an answer.
This. Keep in mind you can't have any eShop balance when you do this (though gold coins are fine).

I’ve been trying the Code Vein demo to see if it’s something I wanna pick up while it’s on sale, and now I feel super chuuni.

Yes, I ended up ordering Death End re;Quest 1 &2 plus the AL limited editions from the IIFY store. The value for the money was too good.

bread's done
Back