Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised to see another spin-off announced, and with such a quick turnaround at that. Didn't think Utawarerumono was that popular. Probably going to be shorter given the budget pricepoint. I also think this is the first time an entry will be on Switch, though I can't imagine this will be a good entry point to the series based on the plot blurb from the article.

There's also a backlog building of unlocalized titles - Zan 2, Monochrome Moebius, and now this one. Hope NISA picks them up soon.
I'm still hoping to see that Dokapon/Utawarerumono spinoff as well.

Sadly I think NISA is done with Aquaplus.  They will need to find a new western publisher for their console release.

Has anyone played Kyoei Toshi? I kind of really want to play it, the idea of Disaster Report with Godzilla and other monsters sounds amazing. But of course the issue is I'm English native speaker whose tried and failed time and again to learn Japanese. I've tried looking around for a fan translation of sorts and found a Google Drive but not sure how good it is. Curious if anyone's played the game and what their experience was and if it'd be possible to get through playing this way

Amazon's got another American Express promo going, use any amount of points on your purchase and get 15% off (up to $15 max discount). Gotta be on items shipped and sold by Amazon.com. I used 25¢ worth of points and brought Lost Judgment PS4 down to $12.74 and Ghost In the Shell (the original movie, 4K+Blu-Ray+Digital) down to $6.79 before tax. Probably some other worthwhile options available—there's a bunch of anime sets in the Cyber Monday deals.

My order arrived today from the GameStop b2g1 sale 2 or 3 weeks ago. Everything came with the cases. Only hiccup would be circle sticker on digimon survive instead of being properly sealed. Guess I won the GameStop lottery.

Got the circle sticker of doom on my TMNT Shredder's Revenge (Switch) from GS.  Nicely my TMNT Collection (Switch) though in the same order was still sealed.

So the last year or so I've posted my total game purchases for the year in this thread.   Yesterday I locked in my preorder for DQ Treasures (Switch) at BB and I think I'm done for the year.  So adding up all purchases (including digital) I'm at:

2022 - $426.29

In comparison:
2021 - $747.66

So I did quite a bit better for the year.  Not that game expenses affect my budget in the slightest... I'm more concerned with expanding my backlog such that I never get around to playing my purchases and focusing instead on acquiring only games I'll (hopefully) seriously play.

My 2022 videogame purchases for those curious:

Bestbuy:

Live A Live (Switch)

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 (Switch)

Dragon Quest Treasures (Switch)

Walmart:

Eshop Card $20

Amazon:

Grand Mountain Adventure: Wonderlands Day One Edition (Switch)

Immortals Fenyx Rising (Switch)

Pocky & Rocky Reshrined (Switch)

Gamestop:
TMNT Cowabunga Collection (Switch)

TMNT Shredder's Revenge (Switch)

Ebay:
Hardcore Mecha (Switch)

From one of my bros:

A bundle of ps1 & ps2 stuff which included:

Lunar Silver Star Story Complete (which was pretty nice condition)

Silent Hill (black label)

and a small stack of games that either didn't work or were not worth much and a ps2 slim

I feel like I did well not to buy much fluff.

2023 Plans:

Zelda Tears of the Kingdom

Dragon Quest (3 HD?, 12?, 10 Offline,... etc) Anything

Not sure what else beyond that since I mostly just buy on Switch and rarely PS4.

Am interested in a couple new releases coming soon. Thinking about importing Samurai Maiden and Fatal Frame (Lunar Eclipse), but definitely not before I know whether English language is supported ON THE DISC/CART. 

Made the mistake of pre-ordering Fatal Frame (Maiden) only to find English was a patch.  

Am interested in a couple new releases coming soon. Thinking about importing Samurai Maiden and Fatal Frame (Lunar Eclipse), but definitely not before I know whether English language is supported ON THE DISC/CART.

Made the mistake of pre-ordering Fatal Frame (Maiden) only to find English was a patch.
I know your frustration but I bought maiden anyways. I really loved that game. so ill be buying lunar regardless if english is on the cart.

Here are some recent announcements for visual novels from JAST USA and Mangagamer.

JAST USA announced under their JAST BLUE brand that they are releasing Varenyett’s BL Visual Novel Sorcerer’s Choice: Angel or Demon. This looks high quality enough, but I rarely play BL games.

VNDB (NSFW)

Mangagamer have announced two games. They are Nightmare x Onmyoji – Paradox of Forbiddance the sequel to Nightmare x Sister and minori's Eve of the 12th Month. The onmyouji are there to protect their town from evil spirits but end up being captured by a cult. What will happen to them? In Eve Yuki has a birthday on Christmas Eve. She ends up collapsing due to a genetic illness and wakes up in the past where she sees her father as a young man and there

are 2 ladies there that could become her mother. She will try to get a mother so this genetic illness wont be passed to her in the future. I generally like minori games, although this one sounds like a convoluted mess. I love the art though, and it's a bit unique starring a female MC. I'll probably buy it on release, but not crazy about the wacky story.

VNDB (NSFW)

VNDB Eve (NSFW)

Looks like Agarest War is getting a re-release for the 15th Anni and Aksys is make a Limited Edition for the switch: https://store.aksysgames.com/collections/switch/products/record-of-agarest-war-15th-anniversary-limited-edition-nintendo-switch
How in the fuck does this NOT have one of those boob mousepads (whatever you call them)? I'm pretty sure the 360 CE release was one of the earliest examples of those boob mousepads and raised some eyebrows back in the day, but I remember after that there was a slowly growing trend of boob mousepads.

I kinda wanna get Gal*Gun 2 while it's on sale, but to be honest I think I like the idea of these kind of games more than I actually like the lewd aspect. I mean I like Omega Labyrinth, but that's mostly because I love roguelik(t)es. I also love Monster Monpiece but all the rubbing to upgrade your cards gets old.

Fairy Fencer F: Refrain Chord coming west in spring 2023 for PS5, PS4, Switch, and PC.

Shiravune has announced the English release of Otome * Domain from Palette Qualia, a cross-dressing romantic comedy where a guy loses his grandmother. He finds himself all alone so a girl invites him to go to the school. The main issue is the school is a girl's only academy and he has has to cross dress to blend in. He eventually meets the other 2 main girl characters and notices these 3 girls are eccentric and weird. Looks cute enough and launches December 20th, 2022 on Steam and Johren. I will post the 18+ patch when it releases.

Steam

VNDB (NSFW)

Nekonyansoft is also releasing Aokana - Four Rhythms Across the Blue - EXTRA2 the official Misaki after story on December 16th, 2022. I'm guessing there will be an 18+ patch I'll link to when it releases.

Steam

AKIBA’S TRIP: Undead & Undressed Director’s Cut coming west from XSEED on Switch as well as the story downloadable content “Kati’s Route” for the PlayStation 4 and PC versions of AKIBA’s TRIP: Undead & Undressed. This is considered a true route for the story.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXuL6A0I3tQ[/media]

Process of Elimination launches April 11, 2023 in North America, April 14 in Europe from NISA for Switch.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fAclYz51eo[/media]

Mangagamer are also having a White Xmas sale until December 26th. If anyone has questions I've played a good portion of these.

Mangagamer (NSFW)

AKIBA’S TRIP: Undead & Undressed Director’s Cut coming west from XSEED on Switch as well as the story downloadable content “Kati’s Route” for the PlayStation 4 and PC versions of AKIBA’s TRIP: Undead & Undressed. This is considered a true route for the story.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXuL6A0I3tQ[/media]

Process of Elimination launches April 11, 2023 in North America, April 14 in Europe from NISA for Switch.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fAclYz51eo[/media]

Mangagamer are also having a White Xmas sale until December 26th. If anyone has questions I've played a good portion of these.

Mangagamer (NSFW)
I'm interested in recommendations from that Mangagamer sale. I haven't read a bunch of VNs, but I liked Fate/Stay Night, Aokana, Full Metal Daemon Muramasa, and Danganronpa 1 & 2. My favorite VN is Majikoi! (and its follow ups), so something similar in tone to that would be cool.

Indifferent about R18 content.

Is Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade PS5 out of print?  Prices are high on ebay and I can't find it in stock anywhere.  Same thing with Guilty Gear Strive PS5, it's been out of stock everywhere for months.

In this sale Rance (try any but Sengoku Rance is likely the best of this bunch) are interesting although kind of weird RPG games. The band games are pretty decent too. I like Kirakira and Deardrops, having not played the crossover yet. Euphoria/Maggot Baits are probably not recommended by me, but they are extreme and have some redeeming value, although it's very hardcore. With what you said I'm not sure the moege stuff would be great, unless you like more lighter romantic comedy stuff. Most of these blend in my head, so I'm not sure of a high recommendation (Magical Marriage Lunatics > Da Capo > Hapymaher > Most Forbidden Love > Nyan Cafe = Wan Nyan > If You Love Me Than Say So > Da Capo 2 > Farther than the Blue Sky > Haruki Otome (barely remember this one so could be wrong) > Love Sweets).

Is Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade PS5 out of print? Prices are high on ebay and I can't find it in stock anywhere. Same thing with Guilty Gear Strive PS5, it's been out of stock everywhere for months.

GameStop has pre-owned PS5 copies of Strive and a 10% off $100 sale if there's something else you want, you could return if you lost the condition lottery (but that'd probably mess up the sale stuff). It's $39.99

https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/products/guilty-gear-strive---playstation-5/248966.html

Is Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade PS5 out of print? Prices are high on ebay and I can't find it in stock anywhere. Same thing with Guilty Gear Strive PS5, it's been out of stock everywhere for months.
i think it may be. i had this same thought yesterday but was able to find a copy sealed for 40 and just bit the bullet. it could be some influx because crisis core just came out.

If you're just looking to play, I have a really hard time believing that it's going to be unavailable for long.

It seems like pretty much every Final Fantasy or Kindom Hearts game these days eventually gets repackaged or re-released within a few years in a form that includes more than the orginal release.

Here's my wild speculation for what we'll see over the next few years:

- Part 2 is released

- Part 1 Intergrade sees a re-print

- Part 2 gets DLC

- "Final Fantasy VII Remake: Story So Far Collection" is released including Part 1 & 2 + DLC

- Part 3 is released

- "Final Fantasy VII Remake: Complete* Collection" including Part 1-3 + all dlc for 1 & 2 is released

- DLC for Part 3 is released

- "Final Fantasy VII Remake: Perfect Final Collection" is released including Parts 1-3 and all DLC on multiple disks

- "Final Fantasy VII Remake: 8K Remastered Part 1" is released for PS6 on a single UV-Ray Disc

- "Final Fantasy VII Remake: 8K Remastered Part 2" is released for PS6 on a single UV-Ray Disc

- "Final Fantasy VII Remake: 8K Remastered Part 3" is released for PS6 on a single UV-Ray Disc

- "Final Fantasy VII Remake: 8K Remastered Complete Collection" is released for PS6 on UV-Ray Discs

- "Final Fantasy VII Re-Remake: Remastered Again" is released for PS9 with an ad campaign that declares it "A perfect holiday gift for grandpa!"

Don't forget all of the mobile tie-in games, the Netflix/Amazon/HBO tie-in, the gacha collaborations, the cloud-based Switch ports, NFTs, and infinite overpriced merch. Square Enix loves whoring out Final Fantasy.

Maybe if we're lucky we'll get a Dirge of Cerberus remake like we did with Crisis Core at some point in the mess, but that makes just enough sense for Squenix to not do it.

Otome * Domain released on Steam/Johren from Shiravune. I highly recommend buying on Steam and getting the 18+ patch from Johren, as the credits system on Johren is awful. It is highly recommended to play the 18+ version, as the all ages version cuts out a route and a lot of little side story things. I will likely play this in the next few days and give impressions.

Steam

18+ Patch (NSFW)

Johren also has their winter sale going on until January 19th, 2023. I would only recommend this for games ONLY on their storefront. These are the English exclusives I think are possibly worth it : 

- Dohna Dohna (haven't played and has questionable subject material, but is highly rated and is by Alicesoft)

- Icha Icha Steady/Study & Steady (Barely recommend on these mainly cause Study & Steady was extremely buggy for me and was just OK story wise)

- Marshmallow All the Way Home (Another barely recommend as the story is very, very average)

- Meteor World Actor (This one is a must and has a very decent story. The sequel is on Steam)

- Primal Hearts 1/2 (Alright moeges)

- Suzukuri Dungeon: Karin in the Mountain (No idea about this one other than it's a tower dungeon defense game or something)

Johren (NSFW)

JAST USA has their winter sale also until January 4th, 2023. I like buying from them, and they have quite a few exclusives.

JAST USA (NSFW)

Denpasoft has their sale until January 15th, 2023. Most of their games are on Steam and have easy to use 18+ patches, but there are a few exclusives here too.

Denpasoft (NSFW)

Don't sleep on your local pawn shops. Even they have Christmas deals. 
Got this from EZPAWN, I believe they are nationwide. There were even PS4 Slim w/ games and controllers for under $200.

[attachment=37656:009.jpg]

Nintendo switch w/ joycons

Pokemon Shield

Animal Crossing case w/ official charger inside

Stay safe and Happy Holidays.

bread's done
Back