Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I'm gonna give it a try! These guys have bought a lot of stuff from me, but I've had issues shipping to their customers overseas, and this happened, and blah blah, and I think we'd both be happy going our separate ways. Plus I think they're weird, taking orders from people, then buying stuff from me instead and having me ship it directly to them. wtf is that even?

Edit: Okay, added them to my blocked list. Hope that works!
As in, paying for your stuff with their PayPal, then messaging you to ship it somewhere else? I don't think they're supposed to be allowed to do that, and I know that you aren't expected by eBay to cooperate with it if they do. At the very least you're out from Seller Protection if you ship it somewhere other than the buyer's PayPal address.

As in, paying for your stuff with their PayPal, then messaging you to ship it somewhere else? I don't think they're supposed to be allowed to do that, and I know that you aren't expected by eBay to cooperate with it if they do. At the very least you're out from Seller Protection if you ship it somewhere other than the buyer's PayPal address.
Well, it was through half.com, so I think it came directly from their credit card or account into half.com's coffers. Then I got paid by half.com themselves (it's like a monthly disbursement they do). I'm not sure how they do it, because I get the e-mail directly from half.com, and it's got the "ship to" address in there, but despite it being the same buyer all ten or so times, it's always a different address. It's confusing. I don't get it. But at least they won't (hopefully) be able to buy anything from me again.

Aaaand, now they've filed a dispute against me.  Not a word or an e-mail, just an e-mail from half.com saying a dispute had been filed.  Great.  I just sent the game out today, too, at my expense, First Class.  Now if they win the dispute, they'll have the game and a refund both.  I wrote back to half.com explaining the whole thing.  I hope they find in my favor, and I hope they find out that the seller is breaking rules by selling stuff they don't have, buying it on half.com, and having the half.com seller ship it to the buyer.  Jerks.

Maybe my blocking them on eBay caused them to panic and file a dispute.  The last thing I said to them, very clearly, yesterday was, "I'll ship it out tomorrow," and I freaking shipped it just like I said I would.  What more do they want from me?  Buyer from hell.

Aaaand, now they've filed a dispute against me. Not a word or an e-mail, just an e-mail from half.com saying a dispute had been filed. Great. I just sent the game out today, too, at my expense, First Class. Now if they win the dispute, they'll have the game and a refund both. I wrote back to half.com explaining the whole thing. I hope they find in my favor, and I hope they find out that the seller is breaking rules by selling stuff they don't have, buying it on half.com, and having the half.com seller ship it to the buyer. Jerks.

Maybe my blocking them on eBay caused them to panic and file a dispute. The last thing I said to them, very clearly, yesterday was, "I'll ship it out tomorrow," and I freaking shipped it just like I said I would. What more do they want from me? Buyer from hell.
Did you at least get delivery confirmation when you mailed it? That seems like the only way to cover your ass on Half.com.

Anyways, that buyer is what's known as a "drop-shipper". They act as an intermediary for people who are either overseas or can't make the order themselves, for whatever reason. I have no idea where the service originates from, but I've dealt with a few on Half.com over the years. Thankfully, I've never encountered any problems. I remember one of them always emailing me after a purchase, asking me to add delivery confirmation, and I'd always reply with the same "Sure thing, but I'll need another 80 cents to cover it since that's what it costs me!", to which they'd concede.

Did you at least get delivery confirmation when you mailed it? That seems like the only way to cover your ass on Half.com.

Anyways, that buyer is what's known as a "drop-shipper". They act as an intermediary for people who are either overseas or can't make the order themselves, for whatever reason. I have no idea where the service originates from, but I've dealt with a few on Half.com over the years. Thankfully, I've never encountered any problems. I remember one of them always emailing me after a purchase, asking me to add delivery confirmation, and I'd always reply with the same "Sure thing, but I'll need another 80 cents to cover it since that's what it costs me!", to which they'd concede.
I do have receipts, and this give a "label number" (USPS First Class), but when I try to track them at USPS.com, it says they're "not found". :(

Drop shipper... I can see that being handy for overseas folks, and indeed I did ship to some military folks that these guys ordered for, but this one that the big deal was over was just to a lady in Florida! What a way to make a living.

You buyer probably have something like 10 thousand feedback or something.  half.com got so little traffic compare to ebay and amazon they are usually the only people to buy anything.

Thanks, I'm gonna give it a try! These guys have bought a lot of stuff from me, but I've had issues shipping to their customers overseas, and this happened, and blah blah, and I think we'd both be happy going our separate ways. Plus I think they're weird, taking orders from people, then buying stuff from me instead and having me ship it directly to them. wtf is that even?

Edit: Okay, added them to my blocked list. Hope that works!
So I know you said you sold this stuff on half.com but I've learned some stuff from selling a lot on eBay. I've learned never to deal with middle men. I've had a couple of people from India buy stuff from me and use DHL package forwarding. Both of these transactions resulted in the buyer claiming an unauthorized charge. Don't get me wrong, there are definitely good people in this world that don't cheat the system but there are plenty of people who are just plain jerks.

My advice would be to NEVER EVER ship overseas. It is too much of a headache to deal with people. Granted I've ordered plenty from Japan but I think that is a bit difference because they are using EMS which has full tracking and signature requirements. I don't know how you ship overseas but I think if you had signature requirement on their end it would probably be safe. The second thing I learned was always keep shipping documents. Keep the receipts with the tracking numbers from the post office. I think PayPal has sided with me every time because I require signature confirmation and all that jazz. I also always message the buyers to ensure they understand I am shipping to this address and so fourth. In the bigger picture, what is the 1.75 extra for the signature confirmation when you are selling a product that is worth a lot more than that if you were to lose it?

Hopefully everything turns out well for you but I wouldn't be surprised if the buyer wins out on the claim. Sometimes that's just how it is and people who cheat win. Sigh... what a world we live in right?

I look at it this way:

- I sold $772 on 20 games on eBay (last 60 days). So my average selling price is $38.

- If I bought signature confirm on all of them, it would be $35. If one out of every 20 transactions goes bad (I think this is fairly typical), then I lose $38 (on average). So signature confirm is worth it, for me.

Now, here what actually happened:

- One of my transactions went bad (19 good). TBD what will actually happen for the bad one. The max possible loss is $30 (minimum 0).

Alternatively, I could buy the signature confirmation only when the sale price is > $38 (and eat losses when small transactions go bad).

What I really need is a home scale so I can print shipping labels. That would save me about $1 per sale guaranteed.

Any ideas on why only foreigners buy high-value items? This has been my experience - only foreigners will buy games priced $50 and higher.

Don't sell much on Ebay, but I heard buyers will routinely rip you off if you sell high priced items over $250 without signature confirmation (will claim they never received it and win every time).  With the games I buy or sell it's always a lot less, so delivery confirmation is sufficient.

Aaaand, now they've filed a dispute against me. Not a word or an e-mail, just an e-mail from half.com saying a dispute had been filed. Great. I just sent the game out today, too, at my expense, First Class. Now if they win the dispute, they'll have the game and a refund both. I wrote back to half.com explaining the whole thing. I hope they find in my favor, and I hope they find out that the seller is breaking rules by selling stuff they don't have, buying it on half.com, and having the half.com seller ship it to the buyer. Jerks.

Maybe my blocking them on eBay caused them to panic and file a dispute. The last thing I said to them, very clearly, yesterday was, "I'll ship it out tomorrow," and I freaking shipped it just like I said I would. What more do they want from me? Buyer from hell.
Honestly you should have never shipped it back to them until they filed a dispute and half.com made you ship it. Shipping it before then is just playing into a scammer's scheme.

I would have refused. Might not be the best business practice, but I would have told them they're getting an unopened copy and anything wrong with the disk is beyond your means. Of course, being on the receiving end if the disk was , in fact, bad. I would be livid.
For factory sealed games, the only unreadable discs I've ever received were those there were completely loose/floating inside the case (and those generally work as well)

Don't sell much on Ebay, but I heard buyers will routinely rip you off if you sell high priced items over $250 without signature confirmation (will claim they never received it and win every time). With the games I buy or sell it's always a lot less, so delivery confirmation is sufficient.
Not true. Not routinely. It happens, but routinely means some level of often and it does not happen that often. It's just the luck of the draw. ebay has an international shipping program now where you ship to one of their hubs in Kentucky and then they ship it internationally. They claim that if anything goes wrong once it reaches their hub, then it's on them. I've never had anyone claim they didn't get a package internationally to put their word to the test, so I don't know for sure.

I've shipped signature confirmation before that led to trouble, because it was one of those buyers that buys and hides. Never checks their messages or emails. They weren't there to sign for it and they kept trying to redeliver and they were never there. Then they complained that they never got it. So sometimes I am weary about signature confirmation unless I confirm with the buyer before hand that someone will be there to sign for the package.

Is Ar tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel any good?

Just trying to make a list of the JRPG's I still want to buy for the PS3 that are out. I got most of what I want, just need the latest Atelier game and Hyperdimensional Neptunia MK2/Victory. Maybe Ar tonellico Qoga if it's good.

Kinda glad I got that $20 Witch and the Hundred Knights. In the same month the FFX Remaster, Witch and the Hundred Knights and Steins Gate Visual Novel releases.  My goddam wallet says ouch, lol.

Just trying to make a list of the JRPG's I still want to buy for the PS3 that are out.
I've played through all of the Ar Tonelicos. I didn't like it as much as the second one, but it's still good fun if you like the series.

Just trying to make a list of the JRPG's I still want to buy for the PS3 that are out. I got most of what I want, just need the latest Atelier game and Hyperdimensional Neptunia MK2/Victory. Maybe Ar tonellico Qoga if it's good.

Kinda glad I got that $20 Witch and the Hundred Knights. In the same month the FFX Remaster, Witch and the Hundred Knights and Steins Gate Visual Novel releases. My goddam wallet says ouch, lol.
Midloo's reply was pretty much right on the head. It's a good game, the stripping in the battles can be a little offputting, but its a good game. Of course, I've bought so many NIS published games in the last few months it doesn't bother me anymore. I'm enjoying HN-Mk2 right now and will be hitting Victory sometime in the near future. I'm waiting for the Atelier games to go down in price. My wallet started breathing hard after my last round of purchases.

Snagged Witch and a Hundred Knights Limited Edition...I couldn't help myself.

Honestly you should have never shipped it back to them until they filed a dispute and half.com made you ship it. Shipping it before then is just playing into a scammer's scheme.
I don't know how I could have known. I've never had a situation like this before. Honestly, I am still under the impression that they're just a dopy turd running an unethical business; I don't think they're actually cognizant of the fact that they're unethical or willfully trying to scam me. I think they probably believe they're well within their rights. Wrote back to half.com last night as soon as I got the dispute e-mail, but I haven't heard back from either half.com or the other party yet. I do have the "label #s" for when I sent it the first time (to the end-buyer), and from when I sent it again last night (to the person screwing me), but apparently USPS doesn't track by label #, because it says not found. :( Half.com wanted tracking numbers. Sigh.

For factory sealed games, the only unreadable discs I've ever received were those there were completely loose/floating inside the case (and those generally work as well)
Yep, I've never had it happen. But, I've had people complain about it at least three times. Really need to put up a "no refunds on sealed items once they've been unsealed" disclaimer.

Really exciting! I hope they make the stretch goal for a Vita version. I got in at the early $20 tier, but I'm thinking I might add on $25 for a printed strategy guide.

Kinda glad I got that $20 Witch and the Hundred Knights. In the same month the FFX Remaster, Witch and the Hundred Knights and Steins Gate Visual Novel releases. My goddam wallet says ouch, lol.
FYI, I just picked this up used last night at a local GS in mint condition. Used the current "steal of the week" coupon (buy 3 or more used games, get 25% off - 35% w/ your PUR card) which knocked it down to $20. So if a local store has it & any others you've had your eye on, might be a good time to jump.

The same store also had all 3 Hyperdimension games in really good shape, but they seem pricey to me. Anyone think they'll come down some, or is $30/$28/$25 respectively before discount a good price for them used?

Personally I think the game is very mediocre when compared to both 1 and 2(without the bugs in 2 would just be better!). The battle system is not very good and very repetitive (every battle you want to Strip your song person (forget the exact name) and this and the animations get old very fast). The item creation is a bit slow and silly compared to the previous games. The diving system is still pretty good and about the only thing I recommend in the game other than that the game looks pretty good even for a slightly older game. If you get it very cheap I say it could be worth it, but its predecessors are just better in every way other than the graphics. Not a high recommendation from me but I may be in the minority for this...it's seems people seem to like the game more if they haven't played the PS2 iterations.

I only played a few hours of Qoga back when it came out, but I haven't gone back to it since. I loved Ar Tonelico 1, enjoyed 2, and really really wanted to like Qoqa. My problem was that the game felt so perverse. While 1 and 2 have some perverted stuff, it only really happens after you get to know the characters. Qoga jumps in to it right away on your first dive with a fetish dungeon thing, character stripping, and a few other things.

Any ideas on why only foreigners buy high-value items? This has been my experience - only foreigners will buy games priced $50 and higher.
I imagine it has something to do with games being super cheaper new outside japan. thus why region lock exists because if it didn't japan wouldn't buy their own games there trololol

sealed wise the only one that didn't work for me was disc 2 of star ocean 4. ended up having to buy another one -_- for a game I already didn't love and paid twice as much as I did for the first one.

the weird part was the game would load fine it just crashed whenever it got to cutscenes like the one in the evil church building.

then again tri ace or whoever made it sucks at programming so I shouldn't be too surprised. Still ticked off that I can't complete the secret dungeon without getting lucky. If I had bought the game pre patch oooh I would of been peeved.

Not true. Not routinely. It happens, but routinely means some level of often and it does not happen that often. It's just the luck of the draw. ebay has an international shipping program now where you ship to one of their hubs in Kentucky and then they ship it internationally. They claim that if anything goes wrong once it reaches their hub, then it's on them. I've never had anyone claim they didn't get a package internationally to put their word to the test, so I don't know for sure.

I've shipped signature confirmation before that led to trouble, because it was one of those buyers that buys and hides. Never checks their messages or emails. They weren't there to sign for it and they kept trying to redeliver and they were never there. Then they complained that they never got it. So sometimes I am weary about signature confirmation unless I confirm with the buyer before hand that someone will be there to sign for the package.
I concur on this, but my last new game shipped was in 2008 (PS2 - SMT:Devil Summoner 2) and they claimed the disc didn't work. I couldn't risk a blemish on my perfect feedback so I refunded and let them keep the "non-working disc". I considered it a final farewell to the A-holes on ebay and the vastly biased "buyer's always right" dispute system. Probably couldv'e fought it, but I knew it was time to get out. The scammers were just then really starting to get savvy, so it was a wake-up call. Since then, only shipping MTG cards and my wife's crafty stuff without issue ;)

I concur on this, but my last new game shipped was in 2008 (PS2 - SMT:Devil Summoner 2) and they claimed the disc didn't work. I couldn't risk a blemish on my perfect feedback so I refunded and let them keep the "non-working disc". I considered it a final farewell to the A-holes on ebay and the vastly biased "buyer's always right" dispute system. Probably couldv'e fought it, but I knew it was time to get out. The scammers were just then really starting to get savvy, so it was a wake-up call. Since then, only shipping MTG cards and my wife's crafty stuff without issue ;)
I have had two of these issues happen on ebay since the last year. It seems like the people are getting less and less honest since I test and most of my games played and books read still look new from how I handle them. I also want to keep my feedback at 100 so I let both people keep the game and gave them a partial refund. I only use the site now to buy things once in a while, and now I sell everything I have on CAG since most people here are great.

I have had two of these issues happen on ebay since the last year. It seems like the people are getting less and less honest since I test and most of my games played and books read still look new from how I handle them. I also want to keep my feedback at 100 so I let both people keep the game and gave them a partial refund. I only use the site now to buy things once in a while, and now I sell everything I have on CAG since most people here are great.
I completely stopped selling on eBay since I had the same issue with selling both video games, and some hardware. They would claim that the game was damaged, or the packaging was dented, or some other claim. I was able to avoid one since insurance was offered and they did not purchase it with the auction. The others, however, were bent on keeping the item, and getting a refund. I told them I would not refund them until the item was returned. eBay ended up suspending my account cause of their false claims.

I would only be able to play Unsung Story on Vita of the potential platforms, so unfortunately I don't feel comfortable contributing right now. I'll wait and see how quickly pledges start flowing in, and if the Vita stretch goal looks like a likely possibility, I'll pledge then.

Backed that Kickstarter. Took me about one second to decide once I realized he designed Final Fantasy Tactics, lol.
I'm hesitant to make a contribution until they clarify his actual level of involvement. It sounds like he is working on the story but not necessarily involved in the actual design or gameplay which makes me nervous.

I want to see some gameplay before I contribute anything. I want to help out game developers, but not blindly. Nobody wants to invest money into a game and it turns out to be the next "Superman 64."

Follow-up questions:

Anyone know of a good site to import Japanese games that you can pre-order from?

Have my eyes on Dekamari Senran Kagura and IA/VT Colorful, but don't see any pre-orders up on Play-Asia yet.

Perhaps Project DIVA F 2nd as well (this one does have a pre-order up on Play-Asia).

Why are there two versions listed though? The one with the "pre-order bonus" is cheaper?

http://www.play-asia.com/hatsune-miku-project-diva-f-2nd-wpre-order-bouns-paOS-13-49-en-70-7et3.html

http://www.play-asia.com/hatsune-miku-project-diva-f-2nd-paOS-13-49-en-70-6stv.html

Follow-up questions:

Anyone know of a good site to import Japanese games that you can pre-order from?

Perhaps Project DIVA F 2nd as well (this one does have a pre-order up on Play-Asia).
I have pdf 2nd pre-ordered from Ami since they actually get exclusive bonuses. Play-Asia has the same stuff everyone else is offering.

Any deals on 

Atelier Escha & Logy (Just platinumed Ayesha today and liked it enough to want to play the next one)

Witch and the Hundred Knights 

pre-order going on that doesn't require some paid membership to have access to? 

I have pdf 2nd pre-ordered from Ami since they actually get exclusive bonuses. Play-Asia has the same stuff everyone else is offering.
Thanks for the heads up on that. A laundry bag and a stand? Interesting. I'm trying to search around a bit for pictures, but not finding much.

I am assuming that he took the job knowing what exactly is going to be capable of the game. I know I wouldn't just take a project if I had that much status and there was nothing of promise. The thing is though how giant is this game really going to be. I mean if the cutscenes are of FFT quality and the whole look of the game is FFT, then it shouldn't be too hard to make. Battles are essentially the same world, just with replaced tiles and enemies.

But it was $20. Not the end of the world if it's terrible. I certainly bought my share of crap for more than that.

Anyone else tempted to import the Senran Kagura Burst physical edition from Europe? Standard International shipping is only $1.60 from

http://www.zavvi.com/games-3ds/senran-kagura/10896445.html

It should definitely be mentioned that this will NOT work on a US 3DS since the system is region locked. I just love physical media and want it on my shelf. :D
I am. Might wait for a price drop. Might go oos or I might save some $$$. Well either way I save $$$ I guess.

Follow-up questions:

Have my eyes on Dekamari Senran Kagura and IA/VT Colorful, but don't see any pre-orders up on Play-Asia yet.

Why are there two versions listed though? The one with the "pre-order bonus" is cheaper?

http://www.play-asia.com/hatsune-miku-project-diva-f-2nd-wpre-order-bouns-paOS-13-49-en-70-7et3.html

http://www.play-asia.com/hatsune-miku-project-diva-f-2nd-paOS-13-49-en-70-6stv.html
One looks like the Asian version and the other the Japanese one. Some people don't care, but I would personally be more inclined to get the Japanese version.

Thanks for the heads up on that. A laundry bag and a stand? Interesting. I'm trying to search around a bit for pictures, but not finding much.
They usually just put up the promo pictures that are sent to them. So they haven't probably received it yet or will more than likely put some up closer to March.

For AtQ: I bought it but haven't played it yet. Not sure about it, tbh, but I used my PUR b2g1 for it. I haven't played the previous two. I do wish those had a PS3 release. I hate jumping in partway through a series.

I wish I'd bit on that $20 WatHK preorder. :(

For AtQ: I bought it but haven't played it yet. Not sure about it, tbh, but I used my PUR b2g1 for it. I haven't played the previous two. I do wish those had a PS3 release. I hate jumping in partway through a series.

I wish I'd bit on that $20 WatHK preorder. :(
i missed the $20 Wathk preorder. i literally just went out my home, to get some grocery shopping, while amazon had it at the $20 preoder price, because they pulled the whole listing

So I know you said you sold this stuff on half.com but I've learned some stuff from selling a lot on eBay. I've learned never to deal with middle men. I've had a couple of people from India buy stuff from me and use DHL package forwarding. Both of these transactions resulted in the buyer claiming an unauthorized charge. Don't get me wrong, there are definitely good people in this world that don't cheat the system but there are plenty of people who are just plain jerks.

My advice would be to NEVER EVER ship overseas. It is too much of a headache to deal with people. Granted I've ordered plenty from Japan but I think that is a bit difference because they are using EMS which has full tracking and signature requirements. I don't know how you ship overseas but I think if you had signature requirement on their end it would probably be safe. The second thing I learned was always keep shipping documents. Keep the receipts with the tracking numbers from the post office. I think PayPal has sided with me every time because I require signature confirmation and all that jazz. I also always message the buyers to ensure they understand I am shipping to this address and so fourth. In the bigger picture, what is the 1.75 extra for the signature confirmation when you are selling a product that is worth a lot more than that if you were to lose it?

Hopefully everything turns out well for you but I wouldn't be surprised if the buyer wins out on the claim. Sometimes that's just how it is and people who cheat win. Sigh... what a world we live in right?
Woops, meant to reply to this! Yeah, I don't like shipping overseas. Trouble with half.com is you never know who/where you're selling to until they've already bought the item. I haven't heard from them or from half.com. I might be screwed.

I do have receipts at least, but the tracking numbers don't seem to do anything. I could still e-mail photos of the receipts to half.com at least, though, if they ever bother to e-mail me back...

The :ps3: Magus preorder on Amazon dropped to $29.99. I don't know if that is going to the be the new price, but it might be worth locking in because there's not much risk in preordering with Amazon.

Eh, Matsuno doesn't always hold every major hat in his projects (I believe he was just the writer in MadWorld, for instance), but yeah, if it weren't for the fact that he's at least significantly involved, even if not in his usual chair, I probably wouldn't be contributing, myself. As it is, I'm only putting in $20 until they show more.

I also asked them who the artists were going to be when they first announced the add-on artbook, and I still haven't gotten a proper answer back. I want this project to be a success because of what it could mean for the great directors of yesteryear who have gone freelance in the last decade or so, but I'm nervous that even if it is it's not going to be the well-planned, polished work that we expect from something Matsuno is involved in. Feels bad, man.

The game looks pretty bad though. I'm guessing this one will drop really quickly.
Yeah, I haven't seen much information available, but it sounds like it might not be that good. Still, after the Witch and Hundred Knight semi-glitch I've been pre-ordering all of the more niche games from Amazon. If the price never meets my buy point or they don't add preorder bonuses to make it worth my while, then I just cancel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back