Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Any thoughts on Conception 2? Anyone play the first one? I'm looking for a new RPG for the 3ds and that one looks... interesting, and i want to support atlus.

Any thoughts on Conception 2? Anyone play the first one? I'm looking for a new RPG for the 3ds and that one looks... interesting, and i want to support atlus.

Try the demo. It's a little simple, but has potential.

i heard the 3ds demo is not as good has the vita demo, even Thu it be the same game in the end. so watch few game play video's also in my opinion to get a better idea of the full game.

That Idol Neptunia CE sure is going quick. Even if it's contents are underwhelming to some, it'll be very hard to find. Might order an extra, one to keep sealed and one to open.
Wow, you weren't kidding. Below 50% already. Well, guess I'll throw down for a preorder for the CE as well, considering I have all the other HDN games.

Noticed Atelier Ayesha has gone down in price for third party on Amazon....  How was the game compared to previous Atelier's such as Totori and Meruru?

I think I'm going to have to pass on the NIS pre-orders this go around. I'm not feeling the LE extras they offer, plus I'm a new home owner and my fiance might kill me if she sees all of these new boxes showing up. In the last few months I've purchased the CE/LE of:

Tales of Xillia

Tales of Symphonia

The Witch and the Hundred Knight

Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory

Mugan Souls

Danganronpa Trigger Happy Havoc

Ys Memory of Celceta

Which to some isn't a lot, but to someone remodeling their house it's a bit more than I should be spending. Plus, I need to save up to see what they might be offering for Fairy Fencer F when it is released.

Am I the only one here who is backlogged with "Tales of" games! Lol...

Anyway, received my "Tales of the Abyss" and "Tales of Graces f" order from Digital River today from the Namco sale....no problems whatsoever. Packed in an oversized box, got here quickly, no horror stories....
Your not. I got ToA, ToG f, ToX, ToS HD in the backlog.

That reminds me. Square needs to HD port that Star Ocean game for PS2 to PS3.

^yes but no! I clocked in so many hours for Star Ocean 3 just to get enough trophies for the costume 3. I dont wanna do it again! XD

(Although it would be nice not to guess if the game's gonna freeze when you enter the next room...

I would take any remake or port of SO3 possible - gosh come on make it already.  I've played the original well beyond death.

That was my true taste of that style of action RPG.   I still have ToGF and ToX 1 and Ys: Celceta on the backlog now but that wouldn't matter for SO3.  :)

What they really need to do is put up an HD port of FF XII. The game already looks amazing on emulators. It's just begging for a port.

Yeah I ended up just getting a used copy online for $9.27 shipped. Even though I wanted it new for $19.99, the CAG in me took over when I found it under $10! :)
I saw White Knight Chronicles 2 last night at Fred Meyer new for $12.something. The Fred Meyer flyer reads that the current sale is 30% off on over 300 titles (not everything, but quite a lot of stuff).

So I'm looking to get a copy of Grandia 2. I have a dreamcast and ps2 so I was trying to decide which version to get since they seem to be the same price

So I'm looking to get a copy of Grandia 2. I have a dreamcast and ps2 so I was trying to decide which version to get since they seem to be the same price
If your Dreamcast still runs and plays discs smoothly, get that version. The PS2 version is quite buggy and/or laggy, according to what I've heard.

[quote name="Vigilante" post="11676499" timestamp="1396985039"]If your Dreamcast still runs and plays discs smoothly, get that version. The PS2 version is quite buggy and/or laggy, according to what I've heard.[/quote]

It has additional content, though, doesn't it?

If your Dreamcast still runs and plays discs smoothly, get that version. The PS2 version is quite buggy and/or laggy, according to what I've heard.
I played both and the PS2 version I had very few issues. The DC is slightly preferable if price is the same, but PS2 is still worth your time. I should note it is my all time favorite JRPG with best battle system I have ever experienced.

I've always heard the dreamcast version was the superior version, cleaner looking and performing, since the ps2 version was a port.

I have the ps2 version tho, since I never had a dreamcast, and I never 'noticed' any issues.

I remember playing Grandia 2 back on the pc back in the day....good times esp since the PC was so console RPG barren (still is in most respects). I hate to pass on Mugen Souls Z LE but yeah....I will justify it only if I play and beat Mugen Souls (Man i'm a masochist). Also just not very excited for it....Neptunia PP I am excited for and will go all out for the experience. I will play that game and use those exact earbuds on my Vita to play it and wipe my screen with the wipe. 

Anyone having the same situation I been having lately? Relates to being so many niche games being announced and I want to support them all. Of course, I don't have enough money to order every single one of them. I mean some of the games I DO want to play, while others I just want to get so its part of that first week sales. 

Anyone having the same situation I been having lately? Relates to being so many niche games being announced and I want to support them all. Of course, I don't have enough money to order every single one of them. I mean some of the games I DO want to play, while others I just want to get so its part of that first week sales.
Agreed and not all games are created equal. That's why i'm skipping Mugen Souls Z till I can torture myself through the first game. Also why I passed on the newest Atelier game (though I'm way behind on the series...will get later). It's awesome, but so many games. Like some will go for Conception 2 but maybe not Demon's Gaze, since they're both dungeon crawlers.

Your not. I got ToA, ToG f, ToX, ToS HD in the backlog.

That reminds me. Square needs to HD port that Star Ocean game for PS2 to PS3.
Ugh, please no. That game was atrocious. Brain-dead party member AI, tons of backtracking, quite possibly the stupidest item creation "mini game" ever (which is mostly just pure luck) and a twist that pretty much makes everything you've done for the majority of the game seem pointless. I could name a long list of PS2 S-E RPGs I'd rather see get a HD port before that one (Dragon Quest VIII, Radiata Stories, FF XII, Drakengard 1&2, Valkyrie Profile 2).

Ugh, please no. That game was atrocious. Brain-dead party member AI, tons of backtracking, quite possibly the stupidest item creation "mini game" ever (which is mostly just pure luck) and a twist that pretty much makes everything you've done for the majority of the game seem pointless. I could name a long list of PS2 S-E RPGs I'd rather see get a HD port before that one (Dragon Quest VIII, Radiata Stories, FF XII, Drakengard 1&2, Valkyrie Profile 2).
Might I also say that the combat system was pretty annoying. If I remember right it had some annoying combo system where you chain skills by holding the buttons the skills were assigned too. Amazing way to do damage and also drain so much MP....the AI loved to do it so much they rarely ever had MP unless they were the mages. Also the invention system was hard, a huge drain to money (really for really good items you will drain so much money). This was so unlike the beautiful Star Ocean 2 system that had a fun and easy invention system that encouraged you to experiment. I actually almost invented every item without a guide, and felt pretty awesome about it! In the ps2 one you have to use a guide unless you want to always have 0 money and invent so much useless garbage. BTW you will likely never be #1 on the inventors list. Once you get behind, you'll never come back.

Also add Shadow Hearts 2 to that list.

I admit I used the strategy guide when doing SO3 item creation. And I always had money. I got lucky, my AI wasnt too stupid. All in all, I love SO3. Heck, I'm stilling working throught the Sphere Company levels in post game.

GS seems to have used DQV copies in stock. Use CAG16 + Saver if you do get it. Hope it comes complete. 

$22.46 after taxes for me. 

I admit I used the strategy guide when doing SO3 item creation. And I always had money. I got lucky, my AI wasnt too stupid. All in all, I love SO3. Heck, I'm stilling working throught the Sphere Company levels in post game.
Kidnap-I mean recruiting inventors from their home planets and making game breaking weapons with Welch was the best thing ever. Good times.

Agreed the ps2 star ocean game was HORRIBLE. One of the very few games i returned to gamestop back then when they still allowed returns of new games. I remember if you didnt lvl up the magic stat on your melee fighters they would bug and spend the whole fight running in a circle o_O The story was shit too... garbage, garbage game

any of the ones you listed would be a better HD port.. id like to see Radiata actually that game was pretty fun

Weird, I don't remember having any problems with the AI like you guys did in SO3. 

I know a lot of people didn't like the plot twist, but I didn't mind it. My biggest gripe with the game was all the backtracking you had to do.

Weird, I don't remember having any problems with the AI like you guys did in SO3.

I know a lot of people didn't like the plot twist, but I didn't mind it. My biggest gripe with the game was all the backtracking you had to do.
This. AI seemed fine to me. Though I did hate the plot twist.

Radiata Stories was one of my favorite PS2 games though (Along with Dark Cloud 2)

Radiata Stories was one of my favorite PS2 games though (Along with Dark Cloud 2)
I want a Dark Cloud vita game so badly.

It would be such a comfy game to play in bed, I would just fish the night away...or take pictures of stuff to invent more stuff.

Would be cool if they took advantage of some of the Vita's features, like maybe having you take pictures of stuff in real life to get bonuses during inventing.

This. AI seemed fine to me. Though I did hate the plot twist.

There were many fights where my party members would literally just stand in the corner doing nothing. It was maddening. I made it a little ways past the twist in that game and just couldn't take it anymore. Never did finish it, and don't feel bad about that at all.

Dark Cloud 2 is amazing - I'd love it if Level 5 is working on a sequel now for the PS4, but I know that's a very long shot. While we're reminiscing, my top 10 PS2 RPGs in no particular order would be:

Dark Cloud 2

Dragon Quest VIII

SMT: Nocturne

FFX

Shadow Hearts 2

Wild Arms 3

Valkyrie Profile 2

Persona 4

Suikoden V

Odin Sphere

Such an amazing system for JRPGs. :) There are quite a few I still want to go back & play - the Tales games (wasn't into the series at the time, but I'm a huge fan now), the Xenosagas, etc.

EDIT: More on-topic, I have a question. If you preorder Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: ASB from Amazon you get the exclusive character "Shigekiyo Yangu". If you preorder from Namco, you get "Yoshikage Kira". Anyone know if one of these is better than the other? I'm considering preordering from Namco because they'll give you 50% off any "anime" game, and $20 for Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 Full Burst seems like a really good deal.

There were many fights where my party members would literally just stand in the corner doing nothing. It was maddening. I made it a little ways past the twist in that game and just couldn't take it anymore. Never did finish it, and don't feel bad about that at all.

Dark Cloud 2 is amazing - I'd love it if Level 5 is working on a sequel now for the PS4, but I know that's a very long shot. While we're reminiscing, my top 10 PS2 RPGs in no particular order would be:

Dark Cloud 2

Dragon Quest VIII

FFX

Shadow Hearts 2

Wild Arms 3

Valkyrie Profile 2

Persona 4

Suikoden V

Odin Sphere

Such an amazing system for JRPGs. :) There are quite a few I still want to go back & play - the Tales games (wasn't into the series at the time, but I'm a huge fan now), the Xenosagas, etc.

EDIT: More on-topic, I have a question. If you preorder Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: ASB from Amazon you get the exclusive character "Shigekiyo Yangu". If you preorder from Namco, you get "Yoshikage Kira". Anyone know if one of these is better than the other? I'm considering preordering from Namco because they'll give you 50% off any "anime" game, and $20 for Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 Full Burst seems like a really good deal.
Grab kira than I prefer this form of him other then one the game comes with.

if you want to complete the invincible trio, grab yangu lol but you could just buy him later with psn credit.

I would love an Final fantasy 12 HD. i'm always tempted to play international via emulator but i rather have all that content on the ps3

Dark Cloud 2

Dragon Quest VIII

FFX

Shadow Hearts 2

Wild Arms 3

Valkyrie Profile 2

Persona 4

Suikoden V

Odin Sphere

level 5 in general really dominated the ps2 w dark cloud and rogue galaxy

lol complaining about so3 and then listing radiata stories.  at least so3 has a somewhat fun combat system.  combo system was nice in 3 but the issues were the lack of moves you can assign, having to hold the buttons and the lack of moves in general.  side kick was basically fayts only useful move.

so4 added in more move slots another character slot in battle and more moves to use but still lacks moves, and took out the one good thing 3 had going.  Its combos.

games never gonna be as good at combat as tales sadly.

rng wise 3's invention system sucked and If you could just enter in the amount that would of made it much better.

I didn't run into the ai issues until the end of the game luckily.  freya is the lamest boss ever and by that point it turned into radiata stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back