Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was only able to put in about an hour in the game but here are my first impressions:

1) It is very reminiscent of Phantasy Star Online on the previous gen consoles. One difference is that you start with an NPC in your team and you have to manage her (somewhat) but issuing commands to be more efficient in combat. It was not immediately necessary in the first few missions I played, but I guess it would help if you started learning to do so for later in the game. It's a lot of button mashing. Also, the default reversed button (O to accept instead of X) was a little distracting at first.

2) You start at a very high level to begin with. For someone like me who has not played the first game, I very much wished I could go back and start from scratch though this option was not available at the title menu. Isn't the first game included with this one?

3) The camera angle is horrible. I had to manually adjust the viewing angle on several occasions when battling mobs in different directions. It was quick tedious to have to switch buttong pushing to right analog stick during fights.

4) The playing area is way too small. Looking around on the screen is probably the only way to see what's ahead of you. The minimap to me is fairly useless. I'll most definitely play this game with vitaTV if it's ever supported. Until then, I'll probably wait and start a different game.

5) Visuals and voice acting is pretty good. The english translation is one of the worst I've seen... noticing several typos and grammatical errors in the first hour. I cant wait to see what kind of broken engrish is in store for the rest of the game. The in-game tutorial was a bit of a chore to get through as well as try to understand given the bad translation.

I'll definitely give it some more time because i love PSO type genre, but I hope that helps. If there's a demo, definitely try it out first. I'm sure it will be better later in the game, but the initial impression I got was fairly mediocre at best with all the technical issues.
Thanks for this, hopefully they put out a demo as you say so that I may try it out. Personally I have never played a PSO game before so I can not really make the connection there. If what you say is true then I might wait it out and see if it goes on sale on the PSN some time or even grab a physical edition somewhere down the road after a sale somewhere.

did gamestop just reprint One Piece: Romance Dawn 3DS? i saw a used copy which was Like-New at my local Gamestop. 

did gamestop just reprint One Piece: Romance Dawn 3DS? i saw a used copy which was Like-New at my local Gamestop.
Online stock checker says there are used copies at five places within 100 miles of me, which have all been there since around launch. Lately Gamestop has been reprinting games without covers/manuals, so a like new copy would more likely indicate that it hasn't been reprinted.

I already had the game pre-ordered through Best Buy, but that review really makes me want to get the Limited Edition of Fairy Fencer F. It sounds like a game I'd end up liking enough that I might regret not having the CE.

Argh, why does the CE have to include everything I love in a CE? Darn you money problems.

I'd actually find it hard to believe that GameStop has reprinted a game like Romance Dawn that has only been out for 4 months and 20 days on 3DS. Not to mention, none of the GameStop stores within 100 miles of me have a copy of the game in either USED or NEW condition.

And Skies of Arcadia 2 and Shenmue 3.
I'm always afraid of stuff like this... a game/series that's beloved by fans but forgotten by the developers, that finally gets a sequel and it just disappoints (Nights, Kid Icarus, Splatterhouse).

I mean, I would love to see Skies 2, Chrono 3, Lunar 3 or Vagrant Story 2... but I just know that the magic of those games are long gone.

I'm always afraid of stuff like this... a game/series that's beloved by fans but forgotten by the developers, that finally gets a sequel and it just disappoints (Nights, Kid Icarus, Splatterhouse).

I mean, I would love to see Skies 2, Chrono 3, Lunar 3 or Vagrant Story 2... but I just know that the magic of those games are long gone.
I just want Skies of Arcadia (Dreamcast version's music quality + Gamecube version's Legends content?) on Playstation Network with trophy support. :cry:

I don't mind series not being revived...usually the revivals disappoint me to no end....like that Altered Beast PS2 game....uggg though the original was an OK but not great game. I want Puyo Puyo Tetris and at least Yakuza Ishin....more current games that I know wont require a revival and just look good!

I'm a little unsure of Natural Doctrine so far though. I love turn based strategy games though this one is unpolished and from a newer team. The graphics kind look early PS3 era or even PS2 era so even though I would love a +1 to my small PS4 library...it wont look that good and I would probably play the game easier on the Vita. CE is only 20 bucks more but not amazing though I do kind of want the bag. It's also coming out in September which I have many games coming out in September/October that i'm buying. Fairy Fencer F also hasn't been ordered yet, but it looks like my type of game and also releases in September. I may just get that  and wait for Natural Doctrine's price to crash....which it likely will. So many niches games, so little time and money. Also doesn't help I decided to get Disgaea 4 Vita and I will likely play that one during the time.

I already had the game pre-ordered through Best Buy, but that review really makes me want to get the Limited Edition of Fairy Fencer F. It sounds like a game I'd end up liking enough that I might regret not having the CE.

Argh, why does the CE have to include everything I love in a CE? Darn you money problems.
I was planning on just getting the game from Best Buy as well for $40 bucks, but after reading that review, I'm seriously thinking of getting the CE. It's just that there's so many games coming out in that time frame...

I would love to see a Skies HD release available on digital console channels, 3ds and vita. But it probably is not going to happen :whistle2:(.

They have the tech to make a Shenmue 3 but prob won't do it as the cost will be to much to develop.

The ATLUS ULTRA COLLECTION 2014! $59.99

Includes:

• Skies of Arcadia
  • Ogre Battle 64
  • Tail Concerto
  • Odin Sphere
  • Princess Crown

Coming..... NEVA!

great news!

Maybe Ciel Nosurge Offline will be localized as well. But I highly doubt that. :lol: 

The graphics look similar true....I think Ar no Surge looks like the better game though. Battle system looks similar to Ar Tonelico 2 (this is good the battle system was excellent!). I wish this was getting a CE....
it looks more pervy too, with the undressing stuff. it says participating retailers will sell it. isn't Tecmo Koei the ones who published deception iv?

The 23rd, to be exact, and for $49.99 at "participating retailers" (which hopefully will include Best Buy).

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/07/01/ar-nosurge-will-released-north-america-september-23rd/

Best Buy will say they will have it. But then a month or so before release, will delist it, saying they no longer carry it. :lol:
that is exactly what is going to happen. they are going to run a very small amount for preorder. then stop ordering any more copies from publishers. since jrpg sold pretty badly. every store i went to still have multiple copies of ni no kuni. that is probably the only jrpg game bestbuy carries in large quanity.

that is exactly what is going to happen. they are going to run a very small amount for preorder. then stop ordering any more copies from publishers. since jrpg sold pretty badly. every store i went to still have multiple copies of ni no kuni/
But they're in red Greatest Hits cases, right? The ones reserved for games that sold plenty of copies? ;)

it looks more pervy too, with the undressing stuff. it says participating retailers will sell it. isn't Tecmo Koei the ones who published deception iv?
Yeah and the Atelier series as well. This likely is very pervy since it will still be including a version of the dive system and stuff happens there...my favorite part of these games easily. I can't pass on this been waiting for a new Ar Tonerlico for years...and I disliked the PS3 version...oh well 50 bucks is going by and Natural Doctrine is likely being passed on now.

The 23rd, to be exact, and for $49.99 at "participating retailers" (which hopefully will include Best Buy).

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/07/01/ar-nosurge-will-released-north-america-september-23rd/
Yeah I saw the article when it went up, still have the page open, they must have quickly changed the wording to say participating retailers, it originally said:

"Ar nosurge: Ode to an Unborn Star is coming to PlayStation 3 in North America on September 23, Tecmo Koei announced. It will be available at retail and digital for $49.99."

Yeah and the Atelier series as well. This likely is very pervy since it will still be including a version of the dive system and stuff happens there...my favorite part of these games easily. I can't pass on this been waiting for a new Ar Tonerlico for years...and I disliked the PS3 version...oh well 50 bucks is going by and Natural Doctrine is likely being passed on now.
i might get ar nosurge, just because it might end up being rare/ hard to find, since it say participating retailers.

Yeah I saw the article when it went up, still have the page open, they must have quickly changed the wording to say participating retailers, it originally said:

"Ar nosurge: Ode to an Unborn Star is coming to PlayStation 3 in North America on September 23, Tecmo Koei announced. It will be available at retail and digital for $49.99."
it also said The game will also be at Koei Tecmo’s booth at Anime Expo from July 3rd – 6th. so does it mean if i go to expo, i can pick up the game between july 3-6th, instead of waiting till septemeber? lol

Well it looks like Ar No Surge will be getting a US physical release:

http://gematsu.com/2014/07/ar-nosurge-coming-north-america-september-23

People bombarded them with tweets after they said thye were unsure if we were getting it, then when they said it was digital only,

Temco even retweeted me asking for at least a limited run physical release. So as long as gematsu is on the money we'll be all set :)
Well, that's good to hear. Saves me the trouble of importing it. Good news.

But as few people have already mentioned, the August-September window for niche JRPGs is crazy. There's no way I'm going to have time to play all of the games that are being released, let alone even more than one, considering I'll be head deep in writing my doctoral dissertation. Oh well, I'll pick one and just go with it, hoping to be able to get the others down the road.

Holy! My wallet is taking a big hit from end of July to like end November damn! There are soo many games being released. I feel like I shouldn't get all on release date and wait for some to go down in price but I;m not sure which games might be hard to find later on >.< All the games I'm getting from NA so far are (don't know if I missed any):

[SIZE=8.5pt]Hyperdimension Neptunia Re:Birth 1[/SIZE] – PS Vita (July 29th)

[SIZE=8.5pt]Tales of Xillia 2[/SIZE] – PS3 (August 19th)

[SIZE=8.5pt]Azure Striker Gunvolt[/SIZE] – 3DS (Digital) (Summer 2014)

[SIZE=8.5pt]Danganronpa[/SIZE][SIZE=8.5pt] 2[/SIZE] – PS Vita (September 2)

[SIZE=8.5pt]Fairy Fencer F[/SIZE] – PS3 (September 23)

[SIZE=8.5pt]Ar Nosurge[/SIZE] – PS3 (September 23)

[SIZE=8.5pt]Hyrule Warriors[/SIZE] – Wii U (September 26, 2014)

[SIZE=8.5pt]Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus[/SIZE] – PS Vita (September 30th)

[SIZE=8.5pt]Persona 4 Arena Ultimax[/SIZE] – PS3 (September 30)

[SIZE=8.5pt]Bayonetta 2[/SIZE] – Wii U (October)

[SIZE=8.5pt]Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS[/SIZE] – 3DS (October 3)

[SIZE=8.5pt]Pokemon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire[/SIZE] – 3DS (November 21)

[SIZE=8.5pt]Persona Q[/SIZE] – 3DS (November 25)

[SIZE=8.5pt]Tales of Hearts R[/SIZE] – PS Vita (Winter 2014)

[SIZE=8.5pt]Freedom Wars[/SIZE] – PS Vita (TBA)

Holy! My wallet is taking a big hit from end of July to like end November damn! There are soo many games being released. I feel like I shouldn't get all on release date and wait for some to go down in price but I;m not sure which games might be hard to find later on &gt;.&lt; All the games I'm getting from NA so far are (don't know if I missed any):

[SIZE=8.5pt]Pokemon Omega Ruby &amp; Alpha Sapphire[/SIZE] – 3DS (November 21)

Is there any particular reason why your links alternate between Mirror's Edge and Super Smash Bros. for 3DS (SSB excluded)? :???:

Holy! My wallet is taking a big hit from end of July to like end November damn! There are soo many games being released. I feel like I shouldn't get all on release date and wait for some to go down in price but I;m not sure which games might be hard to find later on &gt;.&lt; All the games I'm getting from NA so far are (don't know if I missed any):

[SIZE=8.5pt]Pokemon Omega Ruby &amp; Alpha Sapphire[/SIZE] – 3DS (November 21)

tales of heart R is probably the one i will bet my money on being hard to find, because only gamestop is selling it. and maybe [SIZE=8.5pt]Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus[/SIZE]

Is there any particular reason why your links alternate between Mirror's Edge and Super Smash Bros. for 3DS (SSB excluded)? :???:
I didn't even know they were linked lol! I have a word document with all the games I'm getting plus release dates and I just copied and pasted it from my word document. I guess since I copied it from the gamespot website at the time it made links even though I didn't mean too &gt;.&lt;

tales of heart R is probably the one i will bet my money on being hard to find, because only gamestop is selling it. and maybe [SIZE=8.5pt]Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus[/SIZE]
I was thinking that too. So maybe I might be able to wait on the other ones because spending full price for all these games will kill me. Though I might want the collectors of some games like Fairy Fencer but unno...

it also said The game will also be at Koei Tecmo’s booth at Anime Expo from July 3rd – 6th. so does it mean if i go to expo, i can pick up the game between july 3-6th, instead of waiting till septemeber? lol
Yep, just like you can pick up all the games from the booths at E3.

Spoilers Below

Thank god Adachi is Free DLC in America. (First Week Only)

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/07/01/persona-4-arena-ultimax-adachi-free-dlc-launch-americas/

P4AU_Adachi3.png
Dat Joker Palette Swap. xD Also, his title: Egocentric Police Dick

TiTS delayed possibly end of year at earliest.

Link

I'm OK with this actually though I want it pretty badly....but with so many releases an end of the year...possibly next year release is OK with me.

TiTS delayed possibly end of year at earliest.

Link

I'm OK with this actually though I want it pretty badly....but with so many releases an end of the year...possibly next year release is OK with me.
I am okay with the delay, gives me more time to finish TiTs 1. I am still stuck in the prologue &gt;_&gt;

Hyperdimension Neptunia Re:Birth 1 – PS Vita (July 29th)
Tales of Xillia 2 – PS3 (August 19th)
Azure Striker Gunvolt – 3DS (Digital) (Summer 2014)
Danganronpa 2 – PS Vita (September 2)
Fairy Fencer F – PS3 (September 23)
Ar Nosurge – PS3 (September 23)
Hyrule Warriors – Wii U (September 26, 2014)
Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus – PS Vita (September 30th)
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax – PS3 (September 30)
Bayonetta 2 – Wii U (October)
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS – 3DS (October 3)
Pokemon Omega Ruby &amp; Alpha Sapphire – 3DS (November 21)
Persona Q – 3DS (November 25)
Tales of Hearts R – PS Vita (Winter 2014)
Freedom Wars – PS Vita (TBA)
Well, some of these will get price reductions eventually for sure, and won't have limited/collectors editions: Pokemon, warriors, super smash bros, and surely bayonetta 2 will get price cuts eventually, just from past series history. However, day 1 editions of bayonetta 2 might come with dlc for bayonetta 1. The following games will go on sale before running out of stock, but do have collector/limited editions: Tales of xilla 2, persona arena, persona q, fairy fencer f.

Well, some of these will get price reductions eventually for sure, and won't have limited/collectors editions: Pokemon, warriors, super smash bros, and surely bayonetta 2 will get price cuts eventually, just from past series history. However, day 1 editions of bayonetta 2 might come with dlc for bayonetta 1. The following games will go on sale before running out of stock, but do have collector/limited editions: Tales of xilla 2, persona arena, persona q, fairy fencer f.
I might be wrong, but I thought Bayonetta 1 will be on the disk?

As long as I can eventually get P4Arena Ultimax with the tarot cards (Persona Q is a must buy IMHO) i'll be happy. Would love the full set. Other than that I barely want the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back