Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='slidecage']worse then the gamestop sale :)[/QUOTE]

Actually, if you don't own Deathsmiles, it's a pretty good deal since it cost around $40 for the limited edition. As for Record of Agarest, thats a $50 set at Gamestop still and Amazon is still the same around $48.

But the sale is not offering the Naughty box edition (CD, pillow cover and booby mouse pad...hehe). But you do get the game, the pillow cover and mouse pad.

I was actually at Gamestop earlier this morning to pick these up but didn't feel like spending $100 bucks (inc. tax) because there were so many others things I wanted to get. Fortunately, when I got home I saw this sale. Both games cost $65 with shipping and I was actually going to just get the game only for Agarest. So, I look at it as getting some free swag with the order.

But hope to see what Aksys has for next weekend!

XSeed's "Ivy the Kiwi" has dropped to $14.99 on Amazon and Gamestop. (Note: can't update the first post because it gives me a database error still).

I was going through gamestop.com to see what the "20USED" code can be used for and majority of the Japanese games from these companies are not available online for purchase. But did notice Aksys' Mimana Iyar Chronicle was available used for $22.99 and it removes $4.60, so it brings it down to $18.39. Also, saw Ignition's Spectral Force Genesis at $12.99 and it removes $2.99, so $10 even.

[quote name='kndy']XSeed's "Ivy the Kiwi" has dropped to $14.99 on Amazon[/QUOTE]

For a minute I got all excited, hoping it was the Wii version, but... nope, DS only.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']For a minute I got all excited, hoping it was the Wii version, but... nope, DS only.[/QUOTE]
I saw that DS game at Costco for $9.99 after the $5 off coupon (expired now). I didn't pay too much attention to it since I was grabbing some other Wii games instead. Is it good anyway?

[quote name='eau']I saw that DS game at Costco for $9.99 after the $5 off coupon (expired now). I didn't pay too much attention to it since I was grabbing some other Wii games instead. Is it good anyway?[/QUOTE]

Both seem to have received good ratings. Was doing some searching to see the difference between the two and the reviews say they are pretty much the same with the Wii having multiplayer options.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']For a minute I got all excited, hoping it was the Wii version, but... nope, DS only.[/QUOTE]

I heard the Wii version was somewhat difficult to control. I will be getting it for DS as I imagine the stylus would be more user friendly than the remote anyway.

[quote name='kndy']XSeed's "Ivy the Kiwi" has dropped to $14.99 on Amazon and Gamestop. (Note: can't update the first post because it gives me a database error still).

I was going through gamestop.com to see what the "20USED" code can be used for and majority of the Japanese games from these companies are not available online for purchase. But did notice Aksys' Mimana Iyar Chronicle was available used for $22.99 and it removes $4.60, so it brings it down to $18.39. Also, saw Ignition's Spectral Force Genesis at $12.99 and it removes $2.99, so $10 even.[/QUOTE]

bad thing is you can get Mimana Iyar Chronicle around 22 new shipped amazon (wow guess not there prices jumped) Its still 22.00 shipped on ebay new

and
Spectral Force Genesis new for 14.57

and you will get complete games

A few Atlus titles have gone down in the last hour or two:

Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey has dropped to $17.90 - Amazon

Rondo of Swords - $14.98

Master of the Monster Lair - $8.89 - Amazon

other titles:

Last Rebellion has dropped to $17.62 - Amazon

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite - $14.99 - Newegg (Amazon also has a third party selling it not inc. tax)

International Track & Field (Konami) - $8.36 - Amazon

For what it's worth, the Wii version is down to $19.99 new/$17.99 used at GameStop. The DS version is $14.99 new/$12.99 used there.

[quote name='SeraphiMichael']I heard the Wii version was somewhat difficult to control. I will be getting it for DS as I imagine the stylus would be more user friendly than the remote anyway.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing, but looking at Metacritic, it appears that the Wii version did a bit better in the reviews overall (74 for Wii, 68 for DS). And of course the Wii is going to have better graphics, and adds multiplayer. So I'm torn on which way to go.

[quote name='arcane93']For what it's worth, the Wii version is down to $19.99 new/$17.99 used at GameStop. The DS version is $14.99 new/$12.99 used there.

I was thinking the same thing, but looking at Metacritic, it appears that the Wii version did a bit better in the reviews overall (74 for Wii, 68 for DS). And of course the Wii is going to have better graphics, and adds multiplayer. So I'm torn on which way to go.[/QUOTE]

I feel the Wii version will drop down in price. I'm in a similar situation where I do want the game but it would be nice to get the best graphic version of the game on the Wii but the truth is, I feel like I'm playing more DS games and rarely touch the Wii. So, part of me is looking towards the DS version.

Baroque (wii) - Amazon - $9.99/ (ps2) - $12.99

Izuna 2 (DS) - Amazon - $12.99

Last Rebellion (PS3) - $17.18

[quote name='belisarius']We're planning on doing another sale next weekend, and possibly one more after that. I don't know what titles will be on sale, though.[/QUOTE]

Belisarius, well the next round of Aksys titles go on sale today? Just curious what titles are planned for today or tomorrow.

[quote name='kndy']Belisarius, well the next round of Aksys titles go on sale today? Just curious what titles are planned for today or tomorrow.[/QUOTE]
What a coincidence that you should ask! Indeed they do. I just finished updating our store (unfortunately I can't post links here yet...) but here's a run-down of what's for sale:

• From the Abyss - $14.99
  • Heroes Saga Laevatein Tactics - $14.99
  • Jake Hunter: Detective Chronicles - $9.99
  • Jake Hunter: Memories of the Past - $14.99
  • River City Soccer Hooligans - $14.99
  • River City Super Sports Challenge - $14.99
  • World Cup of Pool - $9.99
  • Guilty Gear Accent Core (Wii) - $9.99
  • Guilty Gear Accent Core+ (PSP) - $14.99
  • Mimana: Iyar Chronicle - $19.99
  • Deathsmiles SE - $19.99
  • Deathsmiles LE - $29.99
  • GG2: Overture - $12.99
  • Agarest Pack (Pillow + Mousepad + Game) - 29.99
As you can see, some of last weekend's sales have made a comeback, plus a number of new ones. Additionally, we realized that a weekend really wasn't much time for a sale, so this one will run until December 20th. Let me know if you've got any questions.

Blazing Souls Accelate is awesome i won the psn voucher on the contest here its a awesome rpg battle system reminds me exactly of Final Fantasy Tactics.

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']um..its download only i thought?[/QUOTE]

Yes but Aksys still gets to control when the PSN downloads go on sale. If the 360 pack with all the extras is only 29.99, hopefully the PSN download will be discounted to 19.99 or 14.99 soon. I think that would be a fair price.

[quote name='belisarius']What a coincidence that you should ask! Indeed they do. I just finished updating our store (unfortunately I can't post links here yet...) but here's a run-down of what's for sale:

As you can see, some of last weekend's sales have made a comeback, plus a number of new ones. Additionally, we realized that a weekend really wasn't much time for a sale, so this one will run until December 20th. Let me know if you've got any questions.[/QUOTE]

Awesome!!!! No 999 or BlazBlue Continuum???? Aww man...hehe.... I did order more stuff though! :)

[quote name='belisarius']What a coincidence that you should ask! Indeed they do. I just finished updating our store (unfortunately I can't post links here yet...) but here's a run-down of what's for sale:

As you can see, some of last weekend's sales have made a comeback, plus a number of new ones. Additionally, we realized that a weekend really wasn't much time for a sale, so this one will run until December 20th. Let me know if you've got any questions.[/QUOTE]

shipping included??

[quote name='slidecage']shipping included??[/QUOTE]

Shipping is included but you pay sales tax. So, $14.99=$16.45

Great price though...I regret purchasing Mimana from Gamestop last week...especially at $21 used when you can get it with this sale + the CD. The Jake Hunter: Memories of the Past is a very good price!

Last week I got the Deathsmiles LE and Agarest, this time I went for the River City titles and Heroes of Lev. for now.

[quote name='kndy']Shipping is included but you pay sales tax. So, $14.99=$16.45

Great price though...I regret purchasing Mimana from Gamestop last week...especially at $21 used when you can get it with this sale + the CD. The Jake Hunter: Memories of the Past is a very good price!

Last week I got the Deathsmiles LE and Agarest, this time I went for the River City titles and Heroes of Lev. for now.[/QUOTE]
I think you only have to pay sales tax if you're in/shipping to California. Everyone else should be tax-free, I believe.

And thanks for ordering more stuff! :3 Hope you enjoy it!

[quote name='belisarius']And thanks for ordering more stuff! :3 Hope you enjoy it![/QUOTE]

No problems, these are great prices for these games. Now if you can talk to your boss about 999 and Blazblue Continuum, I'm sure many of us will buy even more!!! ;)

I think this is the best place to ask. About a month ago, Record of Agarest War Zero was announced to be coming to the States. I am a big RPG and Strategy RPG player, but the extreme sex marketing actually pulls me off a bit.

With the sale of the first for $29.99, I am intrigued, but not sold yet. Why should I bite into the series?

[quote name='Wargamer']I think this is the best place to ask. About a month ago, Record of Agarest War Zero was announced to be coming to the States. I am a big RPG and Strategy RPG player, but the extreme sex marketing actually pulls me off a bit.

With the sale of the first for $29.99, I am intrigued, but not sold yet. Why should I bite into the series?[/QUOTE]

There's a bit of fanservice but it's no where near as much as suggested in the marketing. No actual sex or nudity though there is suggestive stuff.

I'm thinking about getting Mimana Chronicle or Blazing Souls Accelate with the B1G1 50 % off at Amazon. Anyone have suggestions on which I pick up?

[quote name='Soma_Cruz']There's a bit of fanservice but it's no where near as much as suggested in the marketing. No actual sex or nudity though there is suggestive stuff.

I'm thinking about getting Mimana Chronicle or Blazing Souls Accelate with the B1G1 50 % off at Amazon. Anyone have suggestions on which I pick up?[/QUOTE]

Well, the thing is at Aksys you Mimana with the CD soundtrack and it's $19.99. But it depends which you enjoy more...RPG or RTS. Mimana is an RPG and Blazing Souls and RTS.

I would get Mimana through Aksys store right now on sale with the CD but for Amazon if you enjoy RTS, I would go Blazing Souls Accelate with Atlus' Z.H.P. Unlosing Ranger Vs. Darkdeath Evilman.

[quote name='kndy']Well, the thing is at Aksys you Mimana with the CD soundtrack and it's $19.99. But it depends which you enjoy more...RPG or RTS. Mimana is an RPG and Blazing Souls and RTS.

I would get Mimana through Aksys store right now on sale with the CD but for Amazon if you enjoy RTS, I would go Blazing Souls Accelate with Atlus' Z.H.P. Unlosing Ranger Vs. Darkdeath Evilman.[/QUOTE]

I know this is nitpicky, but NIS/NISA did ZHP!

[quote name='kndy']Well, the thing is at Aksys you Mimana with the CD soundtrack and it's $19.99. But it depends which you enjoy more...RPG or RTS. Mimana is an RPG and Blazing Souls and RTS.

I would get Mimana through Aksys store right now on sale with the CD but for Amazon if you enjoy RTS, I would go Blazing Souls Accelate with Atlus' Z.H.P. Unlosing Ranger Vs. Darkdeath Evilman.[/QUOTE]
I thought Blazing Souls was a SRPG?

[quote name='Wargamer']I think this is the best place to ask. About a month ago, Record of Agarest War Zero was announced to be coming to the States. I am a big RPG and Strategy RPG player, but the extreme sex marketing actually pulls me off a bit.

With the sale of the first for $29.99, I am intrigued, but not sold yet. Why should I bite into the series?[/QUOTE]
Admittedly, we're a little biased, but I asked one of my co-workers why you should buy Agarest, and here's what she told me:

"It’s suggestive, but that’s as far as it goes. I think they just went that direction to get people to notice the game and be intrigued enough to check it out. It really is just a small part of the game; well, the dating-sim type elements are vital to get good stats for the next generation (some of the conversations that happen are really amusing!), but most of the game is strategy RPG battle and weapon/item enhancing. The plot is overarching through all the generations and the difficulty level ramps up about halfway through. There seems to be a good number of strategies that people use for the battles so you’re not stuck with just one way of beating a boss. There’s tons of variety with weapons, armor, skills, combos, arts – you can enhance or combine items, switch out skills, switch out party members for new special art attacks… Each character is modifiable to a decent degree. The writing’s really good with some lol-worthy moments and pop culture quotes are fun to spot. If you play on Hard then you get the chance to kill gods in an extra battle area at the end of the game. Depending on how you interact with the girls and other NPCs (even your pace for getting to specific locations) you get one of three endings – Normal, True, and Dark – and New Game+ is implemented so you can start the game over with everything you’ve gained in the first playthrough."

[quote name='Soma_Cruz']I'm thinking about getting Mimana Chronicle or Blazing Souls Accelate with the B1G1 50 % off at Amazon. Anyone have suggestions on which I pick up?[/QUOTE]
I'd suggest Mimana, but that's only because I worked on it and Blazing Souls was someone else's project. :3

If that's not enough to convince you though, here is some more info from my eminently helpful co-worker:

"Depends on what you’re looking for. BSA is like Agarest, but on a PSP. It does have multi-level battle fields though, as opposed to Agarest’s flat ones. There is lots of combining/alchemy with weapons, etc. Mimana’s a real-time fighting RPG. The first of possibly several subsequent games, but it’s decent as a stand-alone. Both are voiced, text with English dub, though Mimana has more actual conversations between the characters. Personally, if I had to choose between the two, I’d pick Mimana. The story and interactions are pretty funny, and some of the characters are a riot. Even talking to NPCs is amusing. The battles are not nearly as involved, but the dungeons are decently big. It also has some fully animated and voiced cutscenes. There are light dating/affection elements (nothing super serious) that change a few scenes at the end. I had a good time playing it."

[quote name='belisarius']I'd suggest Mimana, but that's only because I worked on it and Blazing Souls was someone else's project. :3[/QUOTE]

Awesome! What did you do for the game? (voice acting, localization, etc.?)

[quote name='belisarius']

I'd suggest Mimana, but that's only because I worked on it and Blazing Souls was someone else's project. :3

[/QUOTE]

I am leaning towards that. Does it still come with the outer box to hold the game and soundtrack?

[quote name='kndy']Awesome! What did you do for the game? (voice acting, localization, etc.?)[/QUOTE]
I did everything.
Not really.
I edited the whole thing, and helped out a fair bit with voice direction when we were recording. So, pretty far from everything. In other words, if Mel drives you insane with rage, that is my fault.

[quote name='Soma_Cruz']I am leaning towards that. Does it still come with the outer box to hold the game and soundtrack?[/QUOTE]
Checking on this, but I believe it is everything in the same retail box. I'll edit this when I know for sure. CONFIRMED. Everything in one box.

[quote name='belisarius']I did everything.
Not really.
I edited the whole thing, and helped out a fair bit with voice direction when we were recording. So, pretty far from everything. In other words, if Mel drives you insane with rage, that is my fault.

Checking on this, but I believe it is everything in the same retail box. I'll edit this when I know for sure. CONFIRMED. Everything in one box.[/QUOTE]

Cool, thanks!

[quote name='kndy']No problems, these are great prices for these games. Now if you can talk to your boss about 999 and Blazblue Continuum, I'm sure many of us will buy even more!!! ;)[/QUOTE]

Agreed on Blazblue Continuum. Been waiting on new copies to drop below 30 (preferably around 25 or 20 dollars), but Amazon can't seem to go below 35 bucks. Notice on this here board would be much appreciated if you can do that. PS3 version would be great.

[quote name='belisarius']Admittedly, we're a little biased, but I asked one of my co-workers why you should buy Agarest, and here's what she told me:

"It’s suggestive, but that’s as far as it goes. I think they just went that direction to get people to notice the game and be intrigued enough to check it out. It really is just a small part of the game; well, the dating-sim type elements are vital to get good stats for the next generation (some of the conversations that happen are really amusing!), but most of the game is strategy RPG battle and weapon/item enhancing. The plot is overarching through all the generations and the difficulty level ramps up about halfway through. There seems to be a good number of strategies that people use for the battles so you’re not stuck with just one way of beating a boss. There’s tons of variety with weapons, armor, skills, combos, arts – you can enhance or combine items, switch out skills, switch out party members for new special art attacks… Each character is modifiable to a decent degree. The writing’s really good with some lol-worthy moments and pop culture quotes are fun to spot. If you play on Hard then you get the chance to kill gods in an extra battle area at the end of the game. Depending on how you interact with the girls and other NPCs (even your pace for getting to specific locations) you get one of three endings – Normal, True, and Dark – and New Game+ is implemented so you can start the game over with everything you’ve gained in the first playthrough."[/QUOTE]
Bias is to be expected, don't worry. I assume your unnamed co-worker is either a fan of the game or was involved in it. If the latter, where was she involved? Is she getting involved in the upcoming prequel?

[quote name='dpac']Agreed on Blazblue Continuum. Been waiting on new copies to drop below 30 (preferably around 25 or 20 dollars), but Amazon can't seem to go below 35 bucks. Notice on this here board would be much appreciated if you can do that. PS3 version would be great.[/QUOTE]

You want a game for roughly 50% off its normal market price? You don't say?

[quote name='whitereflection']You want a game for roughly 50% off its normal market price? You don't say?[/QUOTE]

Heh, yeah, that's what I've been thinking as I've read a lot of these comments. People asking for 50% off on relatively new titles are dreaming. Sure, most titles do go down to that eventually, but only after they've been out for a while and sales have dropped off, and usually then only when the publishers, distributors, and/or stores are trying to clear out their excess stock. Unless the title was a complete and utter bomb, it's not going to happen for a game from a small publisher that is only a few months old (less than that for those asking for 999 -- it hasn't even been out for a month yet).

I mean, seriously, ask for 15 or 20% off, that's fairly reasonable. 30% off, maybe, though it's stretching. 50% off, you're asking the company to forgo most of their profit margin, maybe even take a loss while they're still recouping development and production expenses. That's really kind of insulting. If you want it that cheap, wait until it hits the clearance bin.

[quote name='Soma_Cruz']Cool, thanks![/QUOTE]
No problem. Here's a picture of the box, actually, if you like that sort of thing:
mimanabox.jpg

[quote name='Wargamer']Bias is to be expected, don't worry. I assume your unnamed co-worker is either a fan of the game or was involved in it. If the latter, where was she involved? Is she getting involved in the upcoming prequel?[/QUOTE]
She was involved in it. She's already had some involvement in Zero, might have more. Kind of depends.

[quote name='belisarius']No problem. Here's a picture of the box, actually, if you like that sort of thing:
mimanabox.jpg

She was involved in it. She's already had some involvement in Zero, might have more. Kind of depends.[/QUOTE]

Another Question, does your free shipping in your store apply to people from Puerto Rico? That is my case.

[quote name='belisarius']No problem. Here's a picture of the box, actually, if you like that sort of thing:
mimanabox.jpg

She was involved in it. She's already had some involvement in Zero, might have more. Kind of depends.[/QUOTE]

How much did the game go for when you triggered it?

999 dropped to $31.99 on Amazon. Not a huge deal but the first drop I've seen since I started stalking it. I'm tempted to just rip the bandaid and get it over with.

[quote name='Wargamer']Another Question, does your free shipping in your store apply to people from Puerto Rico? That is my case.[/QUOTE]
As per my response on Twitter, I'll look into that for you on Monday. If we ship to Puerto Rico at all my guess would be yes, but that's not an official response.

[quote name='rpgfan']How much did the game go for when you triggered it?[/QUOTE]
Not sure what you mean by "triggered".

[quote name='rpgfan']triggered = bought it[/QUOTE]
Well, I work for the company, so suffice it to say that price I paid is not the price you would pay. ;)

[quote name='belisarius']As per my response on Twitter, I'll look into that for you on Monday. If we ship to Puerto Rico at all my guess would be yes, but that's not an official response.

Not sure what you mean by "triggered".[/QUOTE]

I wanted to ask because it is not the first time we are excluded from shipping. i.e. GameStop.com

Even though we are part of the U.S. and are part of the USPS's system, meaning we are not international, we are sometimes excluded by online retailers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back