Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bshirk']That would be nice, but you could get a used 360 and play Lost Odyssey, too.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but the PS3 extras. Although Lost Odyssey is very awesome.

There's also Infinite Undiscovery. I tried it once... it was... alright. I might give it another shot later.

Last Remnant, too. That one's also on PC, though.

Pretty sure thats most of em, there weren't many other good ones outside of those I could think of either.

Personally, I REALLY loved Magna Carta 2, that one caught me by surprise. I tried to like Blue Dragon, but something about it just really kept me uninterested. (It has one of the best boss battle themes I have heard in an JRPG though)

Infinite Undiscovery was a fun game. Maybe it was because I had a lot of time on my hands when I played it. The Last Remnant is borderline unplayable, imo. The 360 version is heavily gimped from the PC one.

[quote name='storino03']Infinite Undiscovery was a fun game. Maybe it was because I had a lot of time on my hands when I played it. The Last Remnant is borderline unplayable, imo. The 360 version is heavily gimped from the PC one.[/QUOTE]

Well the first time I played Infinite Undiscovery... I ended up stuck in a cave. I think I needed to talk to a rat or something and never figured it out until I had given up and looked it up a few months later.

By that time I had already sold the game, as I only had it because I picked it up from Best Buy brand new for $10 several years back. I think I sold it to GS for $15 store credit. I'll end up buying it again when I can find it for around $5. It certainly wasn't terrible, I think I just quit cause I got stuck, and I don't like looking up answers in RPGs.

As for The Last Remnant, I haven't got around to playing it yet. I want to, as it didn't look terrible. I hope I'm not too disappointed when I get to it.

Infinite Undiscovery is nothing more than a bad test for Star Ocean. Every single thing about that game is inferior to the Star Ocean series. There is some fun to be had here and there, but nearly every aspect of that game has severe drawbacks.

[quote name='AugustAPC']Well the first time I played Infinite Undiscovery... I ended up stuck in a cave. I think I needed to talk to a rat or something and never figured it out until I had given up and looked it up a few months later.[/QUOTE]

Lol, I got stuck there as well. There was no hint or anything, I just got stuck for like an day, wandered into a corner while spamming the character swap button, and saw a chat icon with one of those twins.

Such bad game design

I tend to collect JRPGs that have any redeemable features. Somehow I find it easier to look past faults in those games and appreciate the creative elements. I guess it's just because in JRPGs, developers tend to let their imaginations go much wilder than in other games.

Hopefully there are some glimmers to find in Infinite Discover and The Last Remnant.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Infinite Undiscovery has no glimmers.[/QUOTE]

:whistle2:s

[quote name='Olengie']My two cents, but I enjoyed Infinite Undiscovery when I played it.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='storino03']Infinite Undiscovery was a fun game..[/QUOTE]

It was an enjoyable game, but it depends on what you like. It's a simple game with low learning curve and just plain fun IMO. It's not epic, and it won't wow you in any aspect.

Just because I enjoyed it doesn't mean I have bad taste. :lol: It isn't going to wow in any way possible but it's worth a rental or a purchase if found on the cheap.

I always tend to require a distinction between liking some and having fun with it vs. calling it 'good'. I, too, enjoyed some of my time with the game. I cannot--under any circumstances--though, call it a 'good' game. Objectively speaking, it is rife with problems. It is also made by tri-Ace, who are responsible for Star Ocean, which is a similar game. IU holds up even worse when directly compared to a similar, but superior game series from the same company.

Characters? Mostly horrible, with some redeeming aspects of the 'main' part of the cast.
Battle system? A lazy action RPG that is rife with problems and the ugly step child of the star ocean series.
Voice acting? Once again, mostly horrible, with some redeeming parts from the 'main' part of the cast.
Story? An interesting enough over story that is held back by weak characters and a shoe-horned ending.
Graphics? Not impressive by any means and a rather 'meh' style overall.

As I said, I, too, enjoyed some of my time with this game. This is not a 'good' game, though. Just be aware of what your own standards are. There are A LOT of good JRPGs out there. Have you played them all? If no, then don't wast time on flawed experiences that you may find fun. I don't think I will ever play every good JRPG. I may never even get to play every great one. I try very hard to not waste my time on any mediocre ones. If you have enough spare time that you don't mind dumping 30-45 hours of it into a mediocre experience, then more power to you, and I am jealous of your lifestyle.

To gamers though, all that should matter is whether they have fun or enjoy it. We aren't critics. That is Gameinformer, IGN, Gamespot's, etc job.

If I have fun with a game that has design flaws, it isn't an issue for me. I buy games to have fun. Infinite Undiscovery has its flaws, but at the end of the day I enjoyed it a lot. I spent like 80 hours on it doing everything.

There are a lot of big name RPGs out there that I enjoyed this more than.

As long as a JRPG isn't fundamentally broken and has some unique features and ideas, I want to own it. That goes double for fighting games. These are the two genres that I find a lot of creative experimentation and expression, even if it doesn't always doesn't end up as polished as it should be.

That's something I appreciate. I suppose it's more of a preference than a standard. I prefer an unpolished game with some creativity and personality to a well-put-together cookie-cutter game like Call of Duty.

[quote name='AugustAPC']As long as a JRPG isn't fundamentally broken and has some unique features and ideas, I want to own it. That goes double for fighting games. These are the two genres that I find a lot of creative experimentation and expression, even if it doesn't always doesn't end up as polished as it should be.

That's something I appreciate. I suppose it's more of a preference than a standard. I prefer an unpolished game with some creativity and personality to a well-put-together cookie-cutter game like Call of Duty.[/QUOTE]

Oh I definitely do, too, without a doubt! That's what I brought up in my last paragraph, though. I have certainly not played all the great JRPGs, and I'm sure I'll never get to all the good ones. I won't waste my time on mediocre ones (Do also keep in mind that I can only have this conversation because I already wasted my time on this one. I mean when I know these things ahead of time). This is within a genre that is usually rife with creativity and interesting ideas, so why not focus on the ones that worked out better? I also like to own the majority of them due to my collecting tendencies (I'm sure many of you have watched my videos... you know. lol). I just place a very high importance on my free time, so I will choose not to play many of the mediocre, generic, or generally passable ones. lol.

[quote name='ShadowAssassin']To gamers though, all that should matter is whether they have fun or enjoy it. We aren't critics. That is Gameinformer, IGN, Gamespot's, etc job.

If I have fun with a game that has design flaws, it isn't an issue for me. I buy games to have fun. Infinite Undiscovery has its flaws, but at the end of the day I enjoyed it a lot. I spent like 80 hours on it doing everything.

There are a lot of big name RPGs out there that I enjoyed this more than.[/QUOTE]
Infinite Undiscovery's biggest real flaw is it's stupid cumbersome menu. It's impossible to do anything quickly, and doesn't pause the game when you open it so using items in battle is basically not happening. The between town maps are also huge empty and boring to cross, but that's really a problem with all RPGs since the polygon count shot up.

It has good combat, and is pretty alright other than that.

I think it's biggest flaw is the item creation. You have to go item by item and can't do it by bulk. It gets incredibly tedious. Also, random failures when trying to create brought about a lot of reloads.

Infinite Undiscovery was a game I wanted to like, but could not. Life is short, so why play games that aren't all that good?

As someone who got all achievements on Infinite Undiscovery, it's certainly not the lowest on the totem pole.

That belongs to Star Ocean 4.

[quote name='lutz']Any good exclusive JRPGs on the 360 besides ToV, LO, MC2 and BD? IU and LR were borderline bad in my opinion...[/QUOTE]

Im surprised no one mentioned Resonance of Fate yet. That Game was awesome, especially the battle system. Check it out

I think we mentioned RoF in another thread (or earlier in this one..) but yes, buy it. It's cumbersome to learn, but overall fun.

I heard a lot of terrible things about IU, but when I played it, I actually enjoyed it. The criticisms about a cumbersome menu do have merit, and the game feels incredibly short but.. you could play worse things, really.

[quote name='nnthomas']As someone who got all achievements on Infinite Undiscovery, it's certainly not the lowest on the totem pole.

That belongs to Star Ocean 4.[/QUOTE]

You mean the game with a far, FAR better battle system, better graphics, better item creation, and arguably better music? Nah, you can't mean that game.

[quote name='Zaku77']You mean the game with a far, FAR better battle system, better graphics, better item creation, and arguably better music? Nah, you can't mean that game.[/QUOTE]

I was about to say something similar. Infinite Undiscovery is definitely enjoyable, but Star Ocean 4 is by far the better game.

This thread is pure gold. It's like playing the limbo but instead of a bar, it's the standards that keep dropping.

Last Rebellion fans, where you at? This is your time to shine.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']This thread is pure gold. It's like playing the limbo but instead of a bar, it's the standards that keep dropping.

Last Rebellion fans, where you at? This is your time to shine.[/QUOTE]

I get that people have different tastes and preferences, but I'm amazed by what people consider "good" these days.

[quote name='storino03']Infinite Undiscovery was a fun game. Maybe it was because I had a lot of time on my hands when I played it. The Last Remnant is borderline unplayable, imo. The 360 version is heavily gimped from the PC one.[/QUOTE]

I'm playing The Last Remnant on PC and I'm about ready to move on. I like the battle system and the overall tone so far, but the protagonist is really annoying. Is it worth pressing on (does he eventually act more mature or become a smaller part of the story?)

[quote name='Troutyogurt']Im surprised no one mentioned Resonance of Fate yet. That Game was awesome, especially the battle system. Check it out[/QUOTE]

I didn't mention Resonance of Fate because it's not an Xbox exclusive. I was looking for things that are xbox only (console wise). RoF is good, just a hair worse then FF13 in my opinion (it's not that bad guys)

Star Ocean 4 had IU beat in most areas, but I don't think soundtrack was one. Sakuraba's work in IU was some of his current gen best. I think he's been going south with his work, but that was some of his best stuff of his recent work.

I played Star Ocean 4 on the PS3 and liked it. The 360 RPGs are good since the console doesn't have very many, but in comparison to the PS3's library (of RPGs), there is no contest.

[quote name='Zaku77']You mean the game with a far, FAR better battle system, better graphics, better item creation, and arguably better music? Nah, you can't mean that game.[/QUOTE]

It's also the one with Lymle, kay?

[quote name='Pikagreg']Any love for Magna Carta 2. :p? It was actually my 3rd favorite 360 rpg next to Vesperia/LostOdyssey[/QUOTE]

i still have it brand new & sealed ;)

[quote name='CrimsonTribe']I'm playing The Last Remnant on PC and I'm about ready to move on. I like the battle system and the overall tone so far, but the protagonist is really annoying. Is it worth pressing on (does he eventually act more mature or become a smaller part of the story?)[/QUOTE]

The Last Remnant is one of my favorite rpgs ever. I'd say give it some more time.

To the ones lazy to click the Link

Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F is slated to hit North America and Europe in August 2013. It will be released physically and digitally and a Demo will be released on June 11th. Now go and be excited. :lol:
I rather have the Vita version but this is good news.

To the ones lazy to click the Link

Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F is slated to hit North America and Europe in August 2013. It will be released physically and digitally and a Demo will be released on June 11th. Now go and be excited. :lol:
Whooooooop! *ahem* Well this is interesting. Picked up the JP Vita and PS3 version before but I'll definitely get this again. It's good that it's the PS3 version too so we get the six extra songs that are DLC on the Vita version.

Right, I'll believe that statement as soon as I see Valkyria Chronicles 3 and Skies of Arcadia HD. Let's not forget Yakuza 1&2 HD and 5 and any other good IPs that they abandoned

Have both vita/ps3 Project Diva f/F and will definitely pick up the NA copy.  This game is fun (like it more than others, like DJ Max Technika Tune) and 3D PV is pretty cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back