Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
So...just got a PS3 recently. Somebody's sig made me look into Valkyria Chronicles, looks pretty damn cool. I'm a big fan of solid rpg and srpg, so I'll check it out pretty soon.

Thoughts on the 2nd? I also have a Vita, so I can get it, but I recall seeing somewhere that it's not quite the same.
Oh man, the sig actually works!

Yeah, if you like srpgs like Jagged Alliance, this game is up your alley. Be warned though, some missions can get pretty cheep.

I just received an email that my class of heroes copy should be shipping tomorrow and to make sure my address is correct. It''s been a long wait but at least I had a digital copy to make it easier.

Love that we are getting a physical copy of Drakengard 3.  I contacted the SE store to find out how they handle pre orders, and they directed me to contact Digital River, since they apparently handle their store.   :cry:   I'm really hoping we see this pop up on amazon 

http://www.abyssalchronicles.com/

Tales of hearts R is on itunes app store for 20 on sale right now until the 15th. then it goes to 40. 

Edit and its in japanese before you start singing bamcos praises. But being in jpn only hasn't stopped some people before.

Love that we are getting a physical copy of Drakengard 3. I contacted the SE store to find out how they handle pre orders, and they directed me to contact Digital River, since they apparently handle their store. :cry: I'm really hoping we see this pop up on amazon
Yeah, I know. Digital River sucks. I know Namco Bandai and Capcom stores use Digital River as well.

I'll never forget ordering the Megaman 9 press kit from them. It took almost a year for me to get it :(

It got delayed and I completely forgot about it. Then one day it just showed up on my doorstep months later.

Didn't see anyone post this yet but a limited edition of Blazblue Chronophantasma for North America was announced

Includes 40-page artbook, Rachel Alukard Nendoroid, Soundtrack, and one mystery item.

I saw it on the front page of IPlayWinner, i'd post the link but this is my first post.

I apologize if someone already posted it, I had to wait a day for my account to be verified.

No release date yet.

Didn't see anyone post this yet but a limited edition of Blazblue Chronophantasma for North America was announced

Includes 40-page artbook, Rachel Alukard Nendoroid, Soundtrack, and one mystery item.

I saw it on the front page of IPlayWinner, i'd post the link but this is my first post.

I apologize if someone already posted it, I had to wait a day for my account to be verified.

No release date yet.
I need to see the price before deciding whether or not to pick up this LE (hoping for $59.99-$69.99), though it sounds quite nice.

No release date yet.
And given the history of the series the UK special edition will be the one to get. I think every single one was better across the pond.

I'm wanting to make use of that $10 back on $50 deal for PSN this month. Here's what I'm looking at so far:

Definite:

• Jeanne D'arc ($15)
  • Valkyria Chronicles 2 ($10)
Possible:

• Catherine ($15)
  • Alundra ($6)

Any suggestions for alternates on the possibles, or other things to get on top of the list above to push me to $50? Basically looking to fill the remaining $25 with the best possible game value, keeping in mind that I'm a cheap bastard.

I've got a Vita and PS3. I'm not generally interested in 3d games of the PS1 era due to the graphics nor do I want games that are cheaper off PSN (stuff Gamestop has cheaper digital codes for.) I'd pick up FFT:WotL, but $10 is too much for a bugged copy IMO.

Here are the standouts for what I already have for Vita:

• Class of Heroes
  • P3P
  • P4G
  • Growlanser
  • Crimson Gem Saga
  • ZE:VLR
  • GEB
  • Disgaea 3
  • Uncharted: GA
  • Gravity Rush
  • MH:FU
  • Wild Arms XF
  • Cladun
  • Legend of Heroes: TitS
  • Ys: Oath in Felghana
  • HSG
  • Tactics Ogre
Standouts for PS3:

• Uncharted 1-3
  • Killzone 2-3
  • Infamous 1-2
  • GoW 1-2
  • ICO/SotC
I'm really more knowledgable about Vita-compatible games since I just got a PS3 a few weeks ago, so probably PS3 suggestions will be easier. Anything is welcome, though.

I'm wanting to make use of that $10 back on $50 deal for PSN this month. Here's what I'm looking at so far:

Definite:

• Jeanne D'arc ($15)
Possible:

• Catherine ($15)
  • Alundra ($6)

Any suggestions for alternates on the possibles, or other things to get on top of the list above to push me to $50? Basically looking to fill the remaining $25 with the best possible game value, keeping in mind that I'm a cheap bastard.

I've got a Vita and PS3. I'm not generally interested in 3d games of the PS1 era due to the graphics nor do I want games that are cheaper off PSN (stuff Gamestop has cheaper digital codes for.) I'd pick up FFT:WotL, but $10 is too much for a bugged copy IMO.

• Class of Heroes
  • P3P
  • P4G
  • Growlanser
  • Crimson Gem Saga
  • GEB
  • Disgaea 3
  • Gravity Rush
  • Wild Arms XF
  • Cladun
  • HSG
  • Tactics Ogre
Standouts for PS3:

• Uncharted 1-3
  • Killzone 2-3
  • Infamous 1-2
  • GoW 1-2
  • ICO/SotC
I'm really more knowledgable about Vita-compatible games since I just got a PS3 a few weeks ago, so probably PS3 suggestions will be easier. Anything is welcome, though.
I think Persona 4 is on sale for $19.99 on psn right now. I'd go with that. Also people give P3P a lot of crap but I really enjoyed it.

Definite:

• Jeanne D'arc ($15)
Possible:
  • Catherine ($15)
  • Alundra ($6)

• Class of Heroes
  • P3P
  • P4G
  • Growlanser
  • Crimson Gem Saga
  • GEB
  • Disgaea 3
  • Gravity Rush
  • Wild Arms XF
  • Cladun
  • HSG
  • Tactics Ogre

Standouts for PS3:
  • Uncharted 1-3
  • Killzone 2-3
  • Infamous 1-2
  • GoW 1-2
  • ICO/SotC

How do you not have Ys Seven, arguably the best game ever on PSP? There's $15 for ya.

Ar tonelico Qoga. Back in stock for 19.99 free ship. Still can't get myself to bite :dunce:

http://store.nisamerica.com/Ar-tonelico-Qoga-Standard-Edition
Well I found this game pretty terrible if that means anything and I quite enjoyed the PS2 games even though #2 was buggy it was still fun. I wouldn't recommend at any price...probably 10 or less is good if someone really wants to try it...but it's really repetitive and the story just doesn't seem all there. Plus this just might be me but I started hating those sessions where you create items they took too long and were kind of corny on naming....and yeah even the cosmosphere just didn't seem as good as the last games....couldn't get into it and i bought it at like 40 dollars...

How do you not have Ys Seven, arguably the best game ever on PSP? There's $15 for ya.
I haven't gotten around to finishing Ys: OiF yet. I've been looking a bit at 7 and 1+2. Haven't decided for sure if I want to pick those up yet. $15 is a bit high, honestly--I can justify it for Jeanne D'Arc as it never seems to go on sale, and Catherine because it seems unlikely that the physical game will ever drop much and I'm not sure if the sale price will ever dip further.

Thoughts on the Ys games going on sale? Not sure if Xseed does sales much. Steam has had sales on them plenty of times, but I'm not sure about PSN. I'd definitely prefer PSN for these types of games and the upcoming game release would be a good time for them to do that.

Also, thoughts on Rainbow Moon? Not a j game, but looks like a pretty decent sRPG.

I bought Rainbow Moon.  It's a fun little SRPG.  There's not much story development, but the gameplay is decent albeit it does get a bit grindy.  The grinding is as much fun as say Disgaea, but for the price, it's a very fun game.

I bought Rainbow Moon. It's a fun little SRPG. There's not much story development, but the gameplay is decent albeit it does get a bit grindy. The grinding is as much fun as say Disgaea, but for the price, it's a very fun game.
Eh. It's rudimentary and slow as hell. Buy something else.

As far as SRPGs available on PSN go, Stella Deus: The Gate of Eternity is supposed to be pretty good. I liked the little bit I played of it.

I need to see the price before deciding whether or not to pick up this LE (hoping for $59.99-$69.99), though it sounds quite nice.
it'll most likely be $70~$90. for everything included (especially that rachel nendoroid) but thats my guess. if its $59.99....day 1 pre order for me.

Well I found this game pretty terrible if that means anything and I quite enjoyed the PS2 games even though #2 was buggy it was still fun. I wouldn't recommend at any price...probably 10 or less is good if someone really wants to try it...but it's really repetitive and the story just doesn't seem all there. Plus this just might be me but I started hating those sessions where you create items they took too long and were kind of corny on naming....and yeah even the cosmosphere just didn't seem as good as the last games....couldn't get into it and i bought it at like 40 dollars...
hm, I beg to differ for the latter. I bought Ar tonelico Qoga : Knell of ar ciel full priced Limited Edition $59.99(somehow managed to get the last copy at a gamestop) I haven't played 2, but I liked 3. Plot wasn't half bad, bgm's were imo unique. like the mixing songs, they are hit or a miss,but overall I liked the bgms. Game play was...rather bad, yes i'll admit that. but for every thing else, I liked it.

it'll most likely be $70~$90. for everything included (especially that rachel nendoroid) but thats my guess. if its $59.99....day 1 pre order for me.

hm, I beg to differ for the latter. I bought it full priced Limited Edition $59.99(somehow managed to get the last copy at a gamestop) I haven't played 2, but I liked 3. Plot wasn't half bad, bgm's were imo unique. like the mixing songs, they are hit or a miss,but overall I liked the bgms. Game play was...rather bad, yes i'll admit that. but for every thing else, I liked it.
Most likely closer to the 90+ range. Remember, the Aksys store was selling the Noel one (from a previous CE) for $25 dollars online. This is $5 dollars more than they asked for at conventions, but even then that makes this CE look to be a minimal of $70 dollars for those 2 things. Going off history it will probably be $80, but a lot is going to depend on what the mystery item is. If it's something crappy, then it might be $80 flat, but if it's something nicer, we could be seeing a larger price tag.

are you planning to resell those games down the line? is that why you are having them sealed?
nope. Im a collector and just like to keep some games sealed

I know when I don't intend to get a game right away I leave it sealed which also helps if I don't want to play it later (an exception is nintendo 3DS games with club Nintendo codes).

For me the order to play would be:

1) Millenium Girl

2) EO4

3) EO3

4) EO2

5) Don't likely bother with 1

This way you can try the remake first as it's likely the most new player friendly, and then go to the newest (or EO3) which are both pretty fun. EO2 is pretty hardcore and quite tough...I would recommend it for last unless you want a challenge then go for it after E04 or before. These games are all very standalone and can be played any order (Millenium Girl is still likely best place to start). They are almost too similar that I would suggest just playing one stopping for a while than playing another as they can be very samey. They're all fun though so it's all good.

that is odd. its going backwards! So it sounds like story wise i wont miss anything going out of order? If MG is the most player friendly maybe that would be the best to start with. Does the first one have a story at all? Because i heard MG was a remake of that one

We could help you far more, I would reckon :) , if we knew what you wanted, or wanted to avoid, the most. Would a high difficulty (assuming you won't cheese it) be a turn-off? Would you mind going backwards graphically or with playing an EO with less options? I don't want to steer you down the wrong path even if its just a small preference or two.

Also, I used to use this thread a lot for keeping tabs on the price of certain PSP games on Amazon and at other places. The only ones I can remember recently outside of EO4 would be like Muramasa Rebirth or P4G or getting Dodonpachi from Zavvi for about $17.
normally i dont mind a higher difficulty in games. But i have a huge backlog im going through right now and would rather start with the simpler/easier version for now. Graphics dont matter to me at all. In this situtation story would come first, but it sounds like theres no interlinking story between the games. So other than that i would say whichever is the simplest of them to give me a taste for it. Ill probably do that one first then just start from the begining of the series after that

I only know from playing EOIV and what I read online...

But MG they added a story, there's also a 'classic mode' which doesn't have the story or premade characters. EOIV is very much a dungeon crawler, there's not really a story in the sense of, say, an FF game, it's basically your standard "raid the dungeon and kill stuff/find stuff/do this silly task" and from what I gather previous games weren't even as in depth (no aiship flying for instance).

I'm not sure how in depth the story for MG is, but reviews seem to suggest it's more 'normal' RPG-like than the other games. One caveat is there's only one save so you can't play story mode and classic mode at the same time :/

normally i dont mind a higher difficulty in games. But i have a huge backlog im going through right now and would rather start with the simpler/easier version for now. Graphics dont matter to me at all. In this situtation story would come first, but it sounds like theres no interlinking story between the games. So other than that i would say whichever is the simplest of them to give me a taste for it. Ill probably do that one first then just start from the begining of the series after that
If you don't mind the higher difficulty or played through tough RPGs in the past in any way, then I would do this looking only at how simple the games are:

2 -> 4 -> 3 -> Untold on Expert Classic (the Grimoire system is a bit complicated to explain but gives you more options and ways to break the game than people realize)

However, I *really* don't think that starting the EO series with 2 is a good idea. I may not have played 4, but overall, the subclassing in 4 isn't that big of a deal - even if its more complicated, the game is not as hard and mistakes are much more forgivable. If you plan to play Untold's Story Mode, you also start with that since there will be a lot less to figure out when your party is made for you but the final postgame dungeon is supposedly brutal. Overall, I would suggest:

4 -> Untold Story (optional here) -> 2 -> 3 -> Untold Classic or Story

I hope this helps out!

FYI, the Silver Anniversary edition of Ys: Memories of Celceta is not available for preorder on Amazon, though I suppose it could always pop back up as the release date approaches.

FYI, the Silver Anniversary edition of Ys: Memories of Celceta is not available for preorder on Amazon, though I suppose it could always pop back up as the release date approaches.
Neither is the standard version weird....getting mine from Newegg but I know both were available before because I had ordered for the standard and the CE on Amazon.

Also for that Sorcery Saga Curry game....I may just pick up the LE...10 dollars more and I may make some use of some of that stuff someday...haha...still wish it was a soundtrack/artbook.

The same thing happened with Hakuoki 3DS. It showed not available for both versions the weeks leading up to launch and then after release it immediately came back into stock and has stayed in stock for the past few weeks. I'm guessing there is just some weirdness with the Amazon inventory system as opposed to this really being sold out.

Which is wierd, as I've had the standard one on my wishlist for a while and it used to say "Will be released Nov. 4" or whatever with the standard 39.99 price.

The same thing happened with Hakuoki 3DS. It showed not available for both versions the weeks leading up to launch and then after release it immediately came back into stock and has stayed in stock for the past few weeks. I'm guessing there is just some weirdness with the Amazon inventory system as opposed to this really being sold out.
Well Amazon only sells what they're certain they will have, so it could simply be that they misgauged it.

I order the regular a month or so ago even before I had a vita as i know how rare the PSP CE got.

Can't wait for it as Ys: Seven was one of my favorite RPGs, besides LoH:TiTS

I think the y's anniversary set will probably come back, I've had one in my cart for a while and even though the page shows oos, I was able to complete the order a minute ago.

Stella is a terrible game. Don't listen to Terra; he has no idea what he's talking about.
When it was released on PSN a couple months ago there were a lot of positive comments, and Wikipedia mentions it has generally positive reception outside of voice acting, and that it's on the easy side.

I see your point, but has this ever happened with a CE/LE that had a physical bonus like 3 audio CDs? If the Celceta LE will behave like the Hakuoki 3DS LE, I'll cancel my preorder and hold out for it to pop up in Amazon Warehouse Deals, but if not, I want to be sure I don't miss out on the included CDs.

I see your point, but has this ever happened with a CE/LE that had a physical bonus like 3 audio CDs? If the Celceta LE will behave like the Hakuoki 3DS LE, I'll cancel my preorder and hold out for it to pop up in Amazon Warehouse Deals, but if not, I want to be sure I don't miss out on the included CDs.
The other possibility is that because the game doesn't have a release date yet, Amazon suspended pre-orders. I really seriously doubt that it's sold out. Gamestop is still taking preorders. Frankly, audio CDs aren't hard to replicate and production can be done within a very short period of time if needed.

When it was released on PSN a couple months ago there were a lot of positive comments, and Wikipedia mentions it has generally positive reception outside of voice acting, and that it's on the easy side.
The art is good, the game is ok, but it has one of the same problems that Hoshigami had. If you are a completionist, you can miss characters very, very easily. It might be silly to some, but that kind of stuff drives me crazy.

Oh wow, Wikipedia. The greatest source to determine a game's potential quality.

How much have you played of Stella? Cuz I actually beat it, unlike everyone who said it was okay or better. The problem with the game is the shoddy gameplay (S-RPGs are my favorite genre even so don't whine I'm not giving it a shot) and the fact that there are maybe 10 character models total in the game. It's so fucking boring.

The only reason to buy it is the cover art.

Oh wow, Wikipedia. The greatest source to determine a game's potential quality.

How much have you played of Stella? Cuz I actually beat it, unlike everyone who said it was okay or better. The problem with the game is the shoddy gameplay (S-RPGs are my favorite genre even so don't whine I'm not giving it a shot) and the fact that there are maybe 10 character models total in the game. It's so fucking boring.

The only reason to buy it is the cover art.
I beat the whole game, and grinded everything that was worth grinding and 100%'ed the entire thing. I loved that game.

It's like you have a fucking filter of keywords that triggers some impulse in you, requiring you to come into this thread to shit on said game. Enough. No one gives a shit.

i say amazon wont sell it due to the compass. too easy gets broken during shipment

ALSO heard at gamestop Game does not have an offical date. so maybe that is why amazon took it down .

gamestop still shows nov 3 but gamefly shows like NOV 27

I beat the whole game, and grinded everything that was worth grinding and 100%'ed the entire thing. I loved that game.

It's like you have a fucking filter of keywords that triggers some impulse in you, requiring you to come into this thread to shit on said game. Enough. No one gives a shit.
Or I read the thread hoping for some deals and find some low-tiers circlejerking over shitty games every single time I come in. You've turned this thread into a J-RPG discussion thread with no deals. Don't get mad when someone doesn't wanna pull out the lube and join in, wap-kun.

Or I read the thread hoping for some deals and find some low-tiers circlejerking over shitty games every single time I come in. You've turned this thread into a J-RPG discussion thread with no deals. Don't get mad when someone doesn't wanna pull out the lube and join in, wap-kun.
What the shaq-fu is going on here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back