Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's more rare for Square to make a good rpg these days. Square/Nintendo need to be rewarded for Bravely Default.
Seriously, that demo was one of the best things I've played in a while. There's no way I'm not getting BD at launch. Besides, I think I'm doing my part to support niche Japanese games over the next couple of months - I have the Symphonia CE preordered, I'm picking up Witch & the Hundred Knight at launch and I have the Demon Gaze CE preordered.

only rpg I kinda want this year is xillia 2.  honestly I'm not very excited about after having played the mess that was xillia 1. tos I already have and played through about 8 times so no interest there. if it was a remake instead of a slightly enhanced port I might of bought it.

Hey guys, sorry to spam, but i would really appreciate it, if you guys can vote for the idea of bringing steelbooks as preorder bonus for all future video game releases/ titles over at bestbuy, just vote by getting the idea a +1

http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Best-Buy-IdeaX/Bring-FutureShop-s-Best-Buy-Subsidiary-Gaming-Steelbook-Program/idi-p/776127
I gave a +1. I'm all for more steelbooks.

----------------------------------------------------------

I think I will go ahead and order Danganronpa from Best Buy, even though I will be playing Bravely Default and Lightning Returns.

It's more rare for Square to make a good rpg these days. Square/Nintendo need to be rewarded for Bravely Default.
Bravely Default is guaranteed to sell much more than Danganronpa. The only games I ever really preorder are niche games and the Souls games. Though I admit I'm interested in BD as the demo didn't catch my interest and I don't like the character models.

I didn't bother really looking into it, but I thought it wasn't censorship and it was just everyone being misinformed on the internet. A person posted a picture of the other costumes from a book that had the different costume versions in the first place:

ibk3QoxSRX5vSU.jpg

If I am wrong, my apologies.
yea.. your wrong. That appears to be an artbook or concept art or something. In game the costumes are definitely different for a few of the female classes. basically removing swimstuit looking botoms and stuff like that

Yeah they are suppose to have DLC preorder bonuses

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/12/10/atelier-escha-logy-bonus-pre-order-costumes-north-america/

I like the Gamestop one cause its 2 costumes.

And I'm not sure what you mean by slap $5 on it. Wasn't the DLC suppose to be free as a pre-order incentive sent through email within 2 days (Or at least that's what is says on the website for DLCs)

I'm guessing the haven't added the DLC details on the website yet since I don't see it on Amazon yet too.
hmm is that accurate? I see no mention of a pre-order bonus on GS's website. Id find it strange that its not mentioned yet when it comes out in a little over a month

Anyone else purchasing the PS3 or Vita version of "J-Stars Versus Vs." (Comes out on March 19th)? Definitely getting the game, as it will more than likely never come out in the US due to all the licensing (too many anime/manga properties involved) like "Jump Superstars" and "Jump Ultimate Stars" for the DS (although if I recall, some Fry's stores in the US were selling the import version of the game).

61UZ5g0GB8L.jpg

--

Also, Kotaku published an article for those who want to purchase import games:

http://tay.kotaku.com/a-beginners-guide-to-importing-games-1511737191/@tinaamini?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

wasnt there a psp version too? Im pretty sure i have that somewhere

There is a Vita version of J-Stars Versus Vs, not PSP.

Also just a rumor but Atlus is localizing Yakuza 5 http://gearnuke.com/rumor-atlus-localize-yakuza-5-west/
It's only because Sega owns Atlus. When the news came out, my first thought was that Sega could use Atlus USA's resources to good use, considering Yakuza is not a big seller and Atlus is a company that knows how to manage print runs unlike the big companies who care about big results.

only rpg I kinda want this year is xillia 2. honestly I'm not very excited about after having played the mess that was xillia 1. tos I already have and played through about 8 times so no interest there. if it was a remake instead of a slightly enhanced port I might of bought it.
You must not be an RPG fan then, because there is an insane number of them coming out this year. And they cover the spectrum from old-school JRPGs, action-JRPGs, new-style JRPGs, Western open-world RPGs, strategy RPGs... This is shaping up to be the biggest year for the genre since the PS2 days.

You must not be an RPG fan then, because there is an insane number of them coming out this year. And they cover the spectrum from old-school JRPGs, action-JRPGs, new-style JRPGs, Western open-world RPGs, strategy RPGs... This is shaping up to be the biggest year for the genre since the PS2 days.
I'm an rpg fan but all the stuff for this year is on either a system I don't own or something I have little to no interest in picking up quickly like ff13-3. I guess I must just not be an as easy to please fan like you are.

bright side I do have a decent backlog of supposedly top tier titles so I'm more than likely not missing out on much.

If I did have a vita and 3ds that mind zero whatever game and bravery default would be something I'd probably pick up though.

To be fair, Xillia 1 really was a mess. I played Xillia 1 and didn't even want to replay it or work on the bonus dungeon. Xillia 2 on the other hand, I finished it completely (doing bonus dungeon, maxing all character, unlocking all costumes, doing all side quest etc). Xillia 2 is much better than the mess Xillia 1 was.

Hm. I just bought 4 recently. I guess I should play it. Trying to decide what order to do those game types in; I have SRII and III, Yakuza 4, Sleeping Dogs, and GTA Trilogy and IV.
skip gta iv, sleeping dogs, Sr III, and yakuza 4 are the only ones worth playing. Sleeping dog is probably the shortest one, if you stick to only main missions

i am surprised they are still pumping out jrpgs for the ps3, since ps4 is already out.

i am surprised they are still pumping out jrpgs for the ps3, since ps4 is already out.
why? it makes complete sense that the few console rpg makers that are even still around are sticking to the ps3 since its easier to dev for now and not as expensive. The majority of them have multiple titles using similar engines and assets as well making it even cheaper like tales of, atelier, disgaea and the 13's. Thus why they continue to churn out titles for them on top of having an existing and decent sized install base which the ps4 currently doesn't have.

To be fair, Xillia 1 really was a mess. I played Xillia 1 and didn't even want to replay it or work on the bonus dungeon. Xillia 2 on the other hand, I finished it completely (doing bonus dungeon, maxing all character, unlocking all costumes, doing all side quest etc). Xillia 2 is much better than the mess Xillia 1 was.
xillia 2 added some stuff but its still overall the same game and even removed series standards. not a fan of the party system xillia 2 uses and removing the party swap was dumb and one of the GOOD things xillia had. and considering I already wasn't a fan of xillias cast I doubt 2 will help any with this. Honestly I wish I had just skipped xillia like it was recommended.

p5 is a myth >:( if and whenever it DOES come out I hope it improves things. make party members more viable instead of just being worthless tagalongs you use for extra turns. just letting them have access to all the persona in their own arcana's would be a start.

after that remove all the worthless down time the games have and make social links easier to do with better writing. social links should not have time wasted on them as much as they do in the first place let alone all the time you spend with these characters during forced down time sections of the game and just living with them.

A lot of great RPGs came out at the end of a Console's lifecycle.

Persona 5 for PS3. So hyped. 

xillia 2 added some stuff but its still overall the same game and even removed series standards. not a fan of the party system xillia 2 uses and removing the party swap was dumb and one of the GOOD things xillia had. and considering I already wasn't a fan of xillias cast I doubt 2 will help any with this. Honestly I wish I had just skipped xillia like it was recommended.
Not sure what you mean by party system but I'm guessing you mean the locked party members you have during main story missions? The main story missions if I remember were actually all very short so you could just rush them through them since most of it involved talking and Alt. World maps don't hold any important missable items (But all alt world treasures were missable because they are only visited once during that specific story mission). After clearing the story mission you could run a party of your choice of 3 (Ludger is a keeper since he is locked in) and simply quick move back to town if you want to change party members. You can actually run a diverse team in Xillia 2 since every character has heals so it wasn't required to have Elise in your team. Rowen is also no longer dumber than a rock and suicides if kept in your team as a member.

So I am thinking about grabbing a Vita if my Tax return throws me money.

Anyway my list to grab for Vita will be (RPG Wise)...

Persona IV

Muramasa (possibly)

Ys Celceta

Am I missing any more RPG's that are currently out that are really good?

Persona IV

Muramasa (possibly)

Ys Celceta

Sorcery Saga: Curse of the Great Curry God

Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc

monster monpiece

here is a whole list of upcoming vita game title with rpgs, and non rpg
http://www.ign.com/games/upcoming/vita

The last PS2 game was officially released last year. FIFA 13 if you're interested. That's 13.5 years after the PS2 released, and seven years after the PS3 came out. It'll be a good 2-3 years before the PS4 has more games coming out for it than the PS3, and quite a bit longer before the PS3 quits getting anything but the yearly versions of sports games and all that crap.

Persona IV
Muramasa (possibly)
Ys Celceta

Dragon's Crown.

Demon Gaze is up for pre-order over at NISA.

Not sure what you mean by party system but I'm guessing you mean the locked party members you have during main story missions? The main story missions if I remember were actually all very short so you could just rush them through them since most of it involved talking and Alt. World maps don't hold any important missable items (But all alt world treasures were missable because they are only visited once during that specific story mission). After clearing the story mission you could run a party of your choice of 3 (Ludger is a keeper since he is locked in) and simply quick move back to town if you want to change party members. You can actually run a diverse team in Xillia 2 since every character has heals so it wasn't required to have Elise in your team. Rowen is also no longer dumber than a rock and suicides if kept in your team as a member.
that is was I was talking about. having only 3 party members is stupid as is locking in the lead character. both were incredibly archaic and stupid decisions of which they had no reason back stepping to.

you don't really need healers in xillia anyway thanks to items spam leia and just in general though I read that muse has a nerfed version of ravens love shot.

I'm an rpg fan but all the stuff for this year is on either a system I don't own or something I have little to no interest in picking up quickly like ff13-3. I guess I must just not be an as easy to please fan like you are.
If FF13-3 is what interests you out of everything coming, then there's not much hope for you.

monster monpiece

He said good.

Sorcery Saga isn't (I did beat it, but it was bad, and only people who thought all other dungeon crawlers were too hard liked it).
I literally died ONCE because the shop system is convoluted.

Dangan Ronpa isn't an RPG.

Monster Monpiece is an ecchi card game, not an RPG.

Dragon's Crown.

These are probably better choices.

Edit: And Conception II. Not sure how good it is, or how ecchi it is. But it's getting a release.

Yeesh, it wasn't a personal attack, why does everyone have to respond with some kind of snide comment? "Not as easy to please as I am?" Really? This is just off the top of my head:

Lightning Returns

Bravely Default

Dark Souls II

South Park: The Stick of Truth

Final Fantasy X / X-2 HD

The Witch & The Hundred Knight

Tales of Xillia 2

Persona 5

Atelier Escha & Logy

Ragnarok Odyssey Ace

Demon Gaze

Conception II

Witcher 3

Dragon Age 3

Elder Scrolls Online

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls

Now of course not all of that is going to appeal to everyone, and maybe you don't have some of those systems. But if you don't see anything there to get excited about, maybe you aren't as big of a fan of the genre as you think you are.

Yeesh, it wasn't a personal attack, why does everyone have to respond with some kind of snide comment? "Not as easy to please as I am?" Really? This is just off the top of my head:

Lightning Returns

Bravely Default

Dark Souls II

South Park: The Stick of Truth

Final Fantasy X / X-2 HD

The Witch & The Hundred Knight

Tales of Xillia 2

Persona 5

Atelier Escha & Logy

Ragnarok Odyssey Ace

Demon Gaze

Conception II

Witcher 3

Dragon Age 3

Elder Scrolls Online

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls

Now of course not all of that is going to appeal to everyone, and maybe you don't have some of those systems. But if you don't see anything there to get excited about, maybe you aren't as big of a fan of the genre as you think you are.
Don't forget Drag-On-Dragoon 3.

that is was I was talking about. having only 3 party members is stupid as is locking in the lead character. both were incredibly archaic and stupid decisions of which they had no reason back stepping to.

you don't really need healers in xillia anyway thanks to items spam leia and just in general though I read that muse has a nerfed version of ravens love shot.
You don't need healers in general in Xillia 2 if you play right. Enemies all have weakness and can be chained with it. I remembered chaining a boss from full health to death taking advantage of my combos and teams combo during my VH more run.

Ludger is locked in always but I don't know why you wouldn't keep him around. He's very fun to use (3 weapons and Corpse Shell is a life saver against bosses) :eek:

Oh right, Ludger IS the lead that is locked in, you get to pick 3 other characters to go with him.

Dragon's Crown.

I will check out Demon Gaze, Own Dragon's Crown on PS3. No need to re-buy.

monster monpiece

I have plans to buy Danganronpa, and I am getting Conecption II either on Vita or 3DS (don't know which one yet). Monster Monpiece I am going to hold off on. I seen videos of it and just no, lol...

If FF13-3 is what interests you out of everything coming, then there's not much hope for you.
if that's your level of reading comprehension then for you there is no hope!

bah don't know how that second there's got in there

"why does everyone have to respond with some kind of snide comment?" then he responds with another snide comment.

I would be excited if persona 5 was anything more than vapor ware currently. give me a gameplay trailer, release date, major improvements to gameplay and I'll be excited. until then there's nothing to be excited about.

most of the stuff on your list see my earlier post.

atelier I'm interested in trying out though but not for more than 20 bucks. after that I'd be more willing to pay 30 if I really like it. But 20 is my budget for experimenting that way if I don't care for it it's not as big a regret.

to put it in a less rude way maybe your expectations are lower and tastes are broader for what you want than mine. that and you probably allocate more funds to gaming than I do -_- I only spend a little bit on gaming and this year I'm planning on buying a new laptop so I basically have nothing left over to go into gaming barring I get a decent paying temp job.

You don't need healers in general in Xillia 2 if you play right. Enemies all have weakness and can be chained with it. I remembered chaining a boss from full health to death taking advantage of my combos and teams combo during my VH more run.

Ludger is locked in always but I don't know why you wouldn't keep him around. He's very fun to use (3 weapons and Corpse Shell is a life saver against bosses) :eek:

Oh right, Ludger IS the lead that is locked in, you get to pick 3 other characters to go with him.
whether I end up liking ludger or not isn't the point. the fact that they took away the freedom to choose my party make up as I see fit is was bothers me along with the stupid party restriction. what if I wanted an all girl party or to use the same party I used in xillia?

whether I end up liking ludger or not isn't the point. the fact that they took away the freedom to choose my party make up as I see fit is was bothers me along with the stupid party restriction. what if I wanted an all girl party or to use the same party I used in xillia?
Ludger can actually be removed from party during from the party during NG+.

Hm..I ordered Drakengard 3 Japanese version off Amazon. No way I can wait till December 31st for the localized version when I don't haven't had a single game to play in a month :X

Ludger can actually be removed from party during from the party during NG+.

Hm..I ordered Drakengard 3 Japanese version off Amazon. No way I can wait till December 31st for the localized version when I don't haven't had a single game to play in a month :X
Are there English subs in the Japanese version? I would rather import this than go through the Square Enix Online Store, lol.

I'm going to be picking up Lightning Returns, Tox 2, and The Witch and the Hundred Night. Picking up The first Tales of Xillia from the psn sale really reignited my passion for JRPG-RPG games again. What upcoming games are coming out that I should look at if I enjoyed Xillia? Not much to go off of, but im not very knowledgeable when it comes to Japanese Niche games. Definitely interested in importing if english subs are available  :whee:

Did you play Ni no Kuni? That's a good one. Cheap too, since it's a greatest hit game.

Persona 4 Golden for the Vita is one of the best in the genre. SMT IV for the 3DS is also pretty good.

I'm going to be picking up Lightning Returns, Tox 2, and The Witch and the Hundred Night. Picking up The first Tales of Xillia from the psn sale really reignited my passion for JRPG-RPG games again. What upcoming games are coming out that I should look at if I enjoyed Xillia? Not much to go off of, but im not very knowledgeable when it comes to Japanese Niche games. Definitely interested in importing if english subs are available :whee:
ragnarok odyssey ace

content-wise, yes. Compared to other CEs.
I wanted to think it was, but in the end I personally couldn't justify it. You get a box, a paperback art book and a watch for an extra $30 + shipping - so you may as well say $40. Even more of a difference if you are in BB's GCU. To me, the watch was the main extra and I just couldn't see it being worth that much. A watch wouldn't be very display-able, and I certainly would never use it for fear of damaging it. So I passed. I could see someone biting, everyone has their own thing that pushes them over the top on a CE - for me, if it had also included either a figure or a soundtrack I might have bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back