Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say sell them if you can get a good price for them. Just make sure you do your research when pricing their sales amount. They're more than likely going to release them all for the PS Vita in the future and from all that I've read, they'll be superior releases.
Yeah, I think I'd rather play these on the Vita. Okay, they're going up on eBay, thanks, guys.

praisethesun, on 25 May 2014 - 5:24 PM, said:
Are the Hyperdimension Neptunia games worth playing? I've always been interested but now I'm thinking maybe I should just sell the three LEs I have.

BlackRockWaifu, on 25 May 2014 - 9:57 PM, said:
To be honest with you, if you are starting the three of them now, you probably wouldn't like it. These are very long and repetitive games and it will take you a few months to grind through all three stories. However, I wouldn't sell them if I were you, these three LEs are extremely limited, and have gone up in price pretty well so far. The price is just going to keep rising, especially due to the fact that the LEs won't be produced again, the series has become immensely popular lately with an anime and several new games coming out, accessories and figures. Add this with the fact that the PS3 is a pretty durable system, and will be around for a long while even with the PS4 out, so the demand for these LEs will continue for a while.

praisethesun, on 25 May 2014 - 10:10 PM, said:
These are all reasons to sell now.

praisethesun, on 26 May 2014 - 12:49 AM, said:
Yeah, I think I'd rather play these on the Vita. Okay, they're going up on eBay, thanks, guys.
as I like anime type games, I waited for my first to be victory, not bad but if it was the best in the series, that's saying a lot, it seems the company doesn't put to much money into the games and lets fans be the testers for unfinished products, I you really want to get into the games, the remakes would be a better starting point, I'm waiting to try the series again when they are done with the quick cash grabs and finally put the effort into making a great game, hopefully with a lot less visual novel aspects.

That seems like it'll be worth it. I haven't read up on Mind Zero but it looks like it shares similarities with Persona so I might check it out. My only problem would be the memory size and if I happen to still have the cash for it. I have a bad habit of using it on other stuff besides games. 

:wall:

This week is pretty heavy with what seems like OK games coming out. Likely pass on Mind=Zero hoping the physical copy goes cheaper later, will likely get Monster Monpiece and possibly Watch Dogs (need reviews on it now!!!).

Went to pick up Mind Zero this morning. Associate at GS told me that Vita games don't follow the normal release schedule and "ship" on Tuesday, so it should be in store Wednesday or Thursday.

It seems like if this were true they shouldn't have listed the release date as a Tuesday? I'm guessing there was just an unexpected delay and I got a generic excuse because they were busy handling Watch Dogs.

Went to pick up Mind Zero this morning. Associate at GS told me that Vita games don't follow the normal release schedule and "ship" on Tuesday, so it should be in store Wednesday or Thursday.

It seems like if this were true they shouldn't have listed the release date as a Tuesday? I'm guessing there was just an unexpected delay and I got a generic excuse because they were busy handling Watch Dogs.
Never heard that before and all my Vita preorders have been there Tuesday morning. Will have to call before heading down to pick up my copy.

I don't think it has anything to do with Vita games so much as it does with how that specific publisher handles their releases. I know XSEED is notorious for their release dates being "ship" dates and thus you have to add an additional couple days as a buffer. When I picked up Pandora's Tower and The Last Story, this was the case at least.

It was probably delayed due to Memorial Day.  Things like Watch Dogs and such probably shipped early before the holiday, stuff like Mind Zero probably shipped afterwards.

I stopped in for my copy of Mind Zero and they had received a district wide email this morning about it being delayed (something about Sony that I do not recall) and expected Wednesday/Thursday. When I mentioned the day one digital discount on we all not too seriously decided that them trying to cash in on the digital was the reason for the delay.

Off-topic question:

Does anyone know if piles of old TV's in Japan is symbolic for something? Obviously Persona 4 has them, but I was also just watching Sailor Moon and noticed a similar pile. Something special about them or a reference to some event? Just curious.

Off-topic question:

Does anyone know if piles of old TV's in Japan is symbolic for something? Obviously Persona 4 has them, but I was also just watching Sailor Moon and noticed a similar pile. Something special about them or a reference to some event? Just curious.
Sailor Moon? Reaching back 20+ years on that one... :)

I heard Mind Zero was garbage and the ending is a cliffhanger and it will not be resolved because it did really poorly in Japan too. Is that the case ?  I am just quoting someone else when I say this though. 

I heard Mind Zero was garbage and the ending is a cliffhanger and it will not be resolved because it did really poorly in Japan too. Is that the case ? I am just quoting someone else when I say this though.
Of my 5 hours or so playing, imported my copy some time ago, I would say it is more average atleast. Nothing really stand out to me being a normal dungeon crawler.

Off-topic question:

Not to my knowledge. Might just be a stylistic thing.

anyone get their copy of mind zero or shipping notification? I went into gamestop to get mine and they said its not there yet, but strangely enough its not in transit either. THey had no idea what was going on with it

anyone get their copy of mind zero or shipping notification? I went into gamestop to get mine and they said its not there yet, but strangely enough its not in transit either. THey had no idea what was going on with it
Nope nothing from best buy here for me either. They charged my card though.. So maybe that's a sign it'll be shipping soon.

I should be getting mine tomorrow from Amazon. Of course I'm sure it would have been longer had I not had Prime.

I stopped by my local GS just a few minutes ago. For my particular store, the manager said he just checked and it should be in today by around 1 or so.

My Monster Monpiece first impressions

I am currently kind of enjoying Monster Monpiece as a pick up and play card/board game thing. It's a little repetitive (as are most Compile Heart games) but is enjoyable enough. I'll go ahead and give pros/cons on the game.

Pros

- Easy to understand game play after finishing the main tutorials up to the rubbing tutorial (was confusing at first and i'll give a basic explanation below of the flow of game play)

- Nice character graphics as well as card art graphics

- Simple easy controls for playing in the battle and navigating the menus

- Card gameplay seems very simple but has a bit more depth to it

Cons

- Graphics in battle are a bit too basic. There is 4 sets of roles in battle (Melee, Ranged, Healer, Support) and every character looks the same on the battlefield and it's only seperated by their roles. I think rarer characters in the S/SS rate look like their character on the battlefield.

- I'll be honest and say I hate the rubbing in the game. This is the only way to evolve characters and it is recommended as most forms as they evolve get better stats and sometimes special skills. It is very awkward to hold the vita when using the rubbing action and is a good way to hurt your fingers haha. Also the game never quite tells you how to do all the actions (I figured out stroking and poking but couldn't figure out pinching or the other action). Also the noises and feeling during this section are interesting....but yeah...enough on that.

- The game play might be a little too simple. You just play a card and it marches forward till it meets an enemy card and if they reach the castle at the end they do 1 damage and disappear. I'll go into more details below.

- The interface itself feels jumbled. I found it a huge pain to update my deck as you had to go to a card you didn't want, remove it and then choose from the other side and click that empty slot to put it in your deck (This is made easier when you sort and the empty slots are at the end). You can also touch from your reserve to main deck but it never feels easy though this does replace the card you drag over.

- The music gets very repetitive and isn't that good imho. It's basic background fodder most of the time, but the one for the card place seems to annoy me a good amount and it's one of places you spend a bunch of time on.

- Story is a typical weak seeming person supposedly having a high potential and they're trying to bring it out of her. Cliche but easy enough to understand. 

Basic overview of Gameplay

You build a deck I believe maximum 40 cards with a minimum or 25 cards I believe (I could be wrong on this). This consists of Monster Girls and they usually cost from 2+ mana. You start with a castle of so much health and your opponents also have a castle of so much health. Each time a character attacks a castle it loses 1 health and the character goes away. Once someone has a 0 health castle you lose the battle.

Each card has a role in battle (Melee, Ranged, Healer and Support). Melee attacks what's in front of them every turn and usually have more HP/Damage. Ranged attacks have an indicator for how far they can attack (usually 2-3 spaces) and attack in that range in front of them every turn. Healer heal the character in front of them, and their uses is the amount of int they have. Support give damage to the character in front of them and also have int to how many times they can give their support (I could be wrong about the int use but it seems to go down everytime the supports/heals go off). 

Every turn you can play 1 card and usually get 3 mana a turn. This can be changed a bit by looking at the aura of your cards. There is a combo type thing for playing cards of the same aura in a row. The 2nd card with the same aura played in a row gives 1 extra MP. The 3rd Card with the same aura played in a row gives 3 extra MP, and 1 attack and a health permanently for the cards on your side of the battlefield. The counter resets after this. These are important for extra mana and buffs to your cards.

Each card also has a type (bird, dragon, etc....) and if one of these types is on the board you can also play the same type on this card and you get a fusion. This helps increase a monsters stats and the monsters inherit skills during fusion as well. This is an alternative move to playing a card on the board.

Every turn all your characters except for the one played this turn move forward 1 space on the grid. There are character special abilities such as one where when you place a character it also moves that turn. When moving forward the characters attack and use their abilities (buffing/healing).

You can also pass in a turn to save mana such as for a more expensive character. Once your turn ends it's the opponents and they play cards, the characters move and attack and such. It's pretty basic but fun enough overall.

Final Opinion

I feel this game is worth probably around 20 dollars. It's a decent pick up and play type game and it should be fun becoming the strongest and collecting and evolving the monster girls. The strategies are decent once you figure them out and it can be a great game for multiplayer, as the singleplayer AI so far seems OK but not great. It's a low budget type game and feels like it, but it's also not a full priced game. The rubbing gimmick is annoying but necessary, but the battles themselves are decent fun. I will beat it although I will probably not collect every card, but i'll see once I beat the game. It reminds me of that old game MTG Battlegrounds. Also I like the monster girl card graphics and like seeing the changes as they level up. Got to rub them all Monster Monpiece!!!

shivan128, on 28 May 2014 - 08:36 AM, said:
$30 is too rich for my blood. I'll wait for a 50% off sale (in about a year or so)
exactly, way to overpriced

bugula, on 28 May 2014 - 11:02 AM, said:
wish they'd given this a physical release. want to show my support for localization but i also refuse to pay $30 for the digital copy.
same here, not worth filling up my card, anything I get digital is 10 or less so I have no regrets because of the price when I cant trade it in.

nitrosmob, on 28 May 2014 - 11:32 AM, said:
My Monster Monpiece first impressions

I am currently kind of enjoying Monster Monpiece as a pick up and play card/board game thing. It's a little repetitive (as are most Compile Heart games) but is enjoyable enough. I'll go ahead and give pros/cons on the game.

Pros

- Easy to understand game play after finishing the main tutorials up to the rubbing tutorial (was confusing at first and i'll give a basic explanation below of the flow of game play)

- Nice character graphics as well as card art graphics

- Simple easy controls for playing in the battle and navigating the menus

- Card gameplay seems very simple but has a bit more depth to it

Cons

- Graphics in battle are a bit too basic. There is 4 sets of roles in battle (Melee, Ranged, Healer, Support) and every character looks the same on the battlefield and it's only seperated by their roles. I think rarer characters in the S/SS rate look like their character on the battlefield.

- I'll be honest and say I hate the rubbing in the game. This is the only way to evolve characters and it is recommended as most forms as the evolve get better stats and sometimes special skills. It is very awkward to hold the vita when using the rubbing action and is a good way to hurt your fingers haha. Also the game never quite tells you how to do all the actions (I figured out stroking and poking but couldn't figure out pinching or the other action). Also the noises and feeling during this section are interesting....but yeah...enough on that.

- The game play might be a little too simple. You just play a card and it marches forward till it meets an enemy card and if they reach the castle at the end they do 1 damage and disappear. I'll go into more details below.

- The interface itself feels jumbled. I found it a huge pain to update my deck as you had to go to a card you didn't want, remove it and then choose from the other side and click that empty slot to put it in your deck (This is made easier when you sort and the empty slots are at the end). You can also touch from your reserve to main deck but it never feels easy though this does replace the card you drag over.

- The music gets very repetitive and isn't that good imho. It's basic background fodder most of the time, but the one for the card place seems to annoy me a good amount and it's one of places you spend a bunch of time on.

- Story is a typical weak seeming person supposedly having a high potential and they're trying to bring it out of her. Cliche but easy enough to understand.

Basic overview of Gameplay

You build a deck I believe maximum 40 cards with a minimum or 25 cards I believe (I could be wrong on this). This consists of Monster Girls and they usually cost from 2+ mana. You start with a castle of so much health and your opponents also have a castle of so much health. Each time a character attacks a castle it loses 1 health and the character goes away. Once someone has a 0 health castle you lose the battle.

Each card has a role in battle (Melee, Ranged, Healer and Support). Melee attacks what's in front of them every turn and usually have more HP/Damage. Ranged attacks have an indicator for how far they can attack (usually 2-3 spaces) and attack in that range in front of them every turn. Healer heal the character in front of them, and their uses is the amount of int they have. Support give damage to the character in front of them and also have int to how many times they can give their support (I could be wrong about the int use but it seems to go down everytime the supports/heals go off).

Every turn you can play 1 card and usually get 3 mana a turn. This can be changed a bit by looking at the aura of your cards. There is a combo type thing for playing cards of the same aura in a row. The 2nd card with the same aura played in a row gives 1 extra MP. The 3rd Card with the same aura played in a row gives 3 extra MP, and 1 attack and a health permanently for the cards on your side of the battlefield. The counter resets after this. These are important for extra mana and buffs to your cards.

Each card also has a type (bird, dragon, etc....) and if one of these types is on the board you can also play the same type on this card and you get a fusion. This helps increase a monsters stats and the monsters inherit skills during fusion as well. This is an alternative move to playing a card on the board.

Every turn all your characters except for the one played this turn move forward 1 space on the grid. There are character special abilities such as one where when you place a character it also moves that turn. When moving forward the characters attack and use their abilities (buffing/healing).

You can also pass in a turn to save mana such as for a more expensive character. Once your turn ends it's the opponents and they play cards, the characters move and attack and such. It's pretty basic but fun enough overall.

Final Opinion

I feel this game is worth probably around 20 dollars. It's a decent pick up and play type game and it should be fun becoming the strongest and collecting and evolving the monster girls. The strategies are decent once you figure them out and it can be a great game for multiplayer, as the singleplayer AI so far seems OK but not great. It's a low budget type game and feels like it, but it's also not a full priced game. The rubbing gimmick is annoying but necessary, but the battles themselves are decent fun. I will beat it although I will probably not collect every card, but i'll see once I beat the game. It reminds me of that old game MTG Battlegrounds. Also I like the monster girl card graphics and like seeing the changes as they level up. Got to rub them all Monster Monpiece!!!
sounds like a good cellphone or tablet game, I am passing on this one for awhile.

For anyone wanting a physical copy of Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn for PS3, Zavvi has it up for preorder here:

Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn

The game is currently on sale for £27.98 (include £1.00 for Rest of the World Shipping), which exchanges out to $46.75 US & $50.88 Canada.

Release date for the game in the UK is June 27th.  

Anyone have experience with the Vita TV released for Asia? I just ordered one from Play Asia at $102.55:

http://www.play-asia.com/playstation-vita-tv-paOS-13-49-en-70-77lt.html

I know it works with a handful of US carts (P4G, Soul Sacrifice, Muramasa Rebirth) and hopefully the Taiwanese version of SAO: Hollow Fragment that was just released.
That's about all I know as well. It's my understanding it won't work with a us psn account. hoping they announce a us version at e3 but I doubt it.

Do you have to use the touchscreen to rub or is there a way you can use the controls? I am hoping they announce a US version of the Vita TV as well because without it you can not earn trophies (on your primary account) which kind of sucks.

Do you have to use the touchscreen to rub or is there a way you can use the controls? I am hoping they announce a US version of the Vita TV as well because without it you can not earn trophies (on your primary account) which kind of sucks.
You have to use the touch screen. It also uses the back touching of the vita as well. You use one of the control sticks to move around but the other buttons I don't think do anything.

Nope nothing from best buy here for me either. They charged my card though.. So maybe that's a sign it'll be shipping soon.

I should be getting mine tomorrow from Amazon. Of course I'm sure it would have been longer had I not had Prime.

I stopped by my local GS just a few minutes ago. For my particular store, the manager said he just checked and it should be in today by around 1 or so.
i'll have to call them and see whats up today. I see that post a page back about a company email or something.

But i see a few people mention Best Buy.. what?! When did BBY offer this? i got it from GS specifically since BBY didn't have it. I still dont see it on their site when i search for Mind Zero... what gives? did they spell it differntly or something? I'll probably cancel my pre order and get it from BBY if thats an option. Especially since GS doesn't seem to have it yet

Does anyone know if Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars (PSVita) on Best Buy is still the 1st print edition? It has it pictured but yea.

i'll have to call them and see whats up today. I see that post a page back about a company email or something.

But i see a few people mention Best Buy.. what?! When did BBY offer this? i got it from GS specifically since BBY didn't have it. I still dont see it on their site when i search for Mind Zero... what gives? did they spell it differntly or something? I'll probably cancel my pre order and get it from BBY if thats an option. Especially since GS doesn't seem to have it yet
It was available for a couple weeks, sold out, and was taken off the website. Chances are it won't be back. When I clicked on the link In this thread pages back, it brings up "this item is no longer available".

After a week of haggling over getting the right items cancelled. My DK3 CE has just now shipped finally.

Man, DR is such a pain.
What was the issue with your order?

I called them this morning, to try one last time to see if I could my billing issue cleared, but DR told me that they couldn't fulfill my order since they were sold out unless someone returned their copy (and even then, only if it was unopened).

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/219423-japanese-niche-games-deals-thread-atlus-nisa-aksys-xseed-and-more/?p=11779377

But ugh, how can they be sold out when you placed your order on time? (IE: Early, before was sold out)

What was your order date? Mine was 2/5/14

The main reason I bought mine was for the Novella and Japanese box art and what not. ( Already redeemed all the DLC)

It's too bad *cough* that some of the multiple people here who bought more than one couldn't sell you one of theirs.

If you still want it, and no one else wants to help you out. I wouldn't mind selling mine to you for 70$+the Shipping unopened (-10$ because I redeemed all the DLC already) once I get it in the mail.

I'd really like to read the novella, but it's really not fair that you would get screwed out of an order if it was placed early on.

What was the issue with your order?

I called them this morning, to try one last time to see if I could my billing issue cleared, but DR told me that they couldn't fulfill my order since they were sold out unless someone returned their copy (and even then, only if it was unopened).
After a week of haggling over getting the right items cancelled. My DK3 CE has just now shipped finally.

Man, DR is such a pain.
I got shipping notification for this and then it just never came nor was USPS website updated from when it was shipped. I ended up having to get a refund for the game, the same thing happened with FFX/X-2 CE. I ended up buying the Drakengard 3 CE off eBay for $125 and it was at my house two days later. Its pretty sad when an eBay seller can beat out a company that specializes in that field. I have a 0% success rate with DR so far, I will not be using them in the future at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back