Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Very possible the MSRP details are very scant for a game coming out in August.

Also for the Persona 4 Arena Ultimax I feel they're including that same DLC the Japanese one got with the first game's story on it. I hope so and if we do get it, I will likely get it.

Very possible the MSRP details are very scant for a game coming out in August.

Also for the Persona 4 Arena Ultimax I feel they're including that same DLC the Japanese one got with the first game's story on it. I hope so and if we do get it, I will likely get it.
Hoping they include
Adachi
. Don't want to spend an extra $8. :lol:

Can anyone tell me what Natural Doctrine is about? I looked it up and got sort of an idea but not sure if it's a game I should get. Is it like Valkyria Chronicles? If so than I would get it for sure

Also how about Freedom Wars? That game looks like a Monster Hunter to me which I'm not really a fan of.

Thanks for the help :)

3DS game Code Name: Steam

http://www.destructoid.com/nintendo-reveals-new-ip-for-3ds-by-intelligent-systems-titled-code-name-steam-276471.phtml

This looks like a crazy but awesome SRPG shooter...this is the type of games we hope come out...I'm buying it day one...plus the same company that made Advance Wars.

Also Natural Doctrine from a live Stream I saw looks like it has gameplay similar to Valkyria Chronicles. I couldn't tell the story cause it was a Japanese copy being played. It looks fun and looks to have some war type story though I'm not sure so don't quote me.

Freedom Wars is probably more comparable to God Eater. I've seen most of the Japanese gameplay videos they put out before release and it seems a lot like Monster Hunter and has whips, swords and guns. Looks alright.

I can see how those games might be a bit too difficult for you since youre use to just mashing the x button to get the next scene where you get to listen to a bunch of 8 years old talk to each other.
Funny you mention that, because Final Fantasy XII was exactly the type of game that seemed to be written by eight-year olds. That game takes itself way too seriously and is far too self-important that it was just terrible. And by the way, the youngest Kingdom Hearts character (not counting child Sora) is 14 with the majority of the cast being much older. So not only have you not played the game, but you are judging it even though you haven't played it. Way to go.

Funny you mention that, because Final Fantasy XII was exactly the type of game that seemed to be written by eight-year olds. That game takes itself way too seriously and is far too self-important that it was just terrible. And by the way, the youngest Kingdom Hearts character (not counting child Sora) is 14 with the majority of the cast being much older. So not only have you not played the game, but you are judging it even though you haven't played it. Way to go.
lol it is called Hyperbole. The fact that you could not pick that up shows that the writing of FFXII was way over your head. I would not expect you to enjoy something you could not even understand. And not only did I play KF I beat it. But that was whenever the hell it came out and I am certainly never going to touch any of the sequels.

lol it is called Hyperbole. The fact that you could not pick that up shows that the writing of FFXII was way over your head. I would not expect you to enjoy something you could not even understand. And not only did I play KF I beat it. But that was whenever the hell it came out and I am certainly never going to touch any of the sequels.
"Hyperbole." Sure it was. Keep telling yourself that. Final Fantasy XII was the game that SE made to troll people. They specifically allowed children to write it so that they could get their kicks watching people like you defend it. Keep putting on a good show!

3DS game Code Name: Steam

http://www.destructoid.com/nintendo-reveals-new-ip-for-3ds-by-intelligent-systems-titled-code-name-steam-276471.phtml

This looks like a crazy but awesome SRPG shooter...this is the type of games we hope come out...I'm buying it day one...plus the same company that made Advance Wars.
This game sounds awesome. I am not a big Nintendo fan, but Intelligent has always been the exception. The concept sounds like something out of an utterly daft indie game (alternate history, steampunk, and Lovecraft influences) which is really surprising - and refreshing - for ultra-conservative Nintendo. And the gameplay sounds like Valkyria Chronicles which you sure as hell aren't gonna hear anybody complaining about in this thread.

"Hyperbole." Sure it was. Keep telling yourself that. Final Fantasy XII was the game that SE made to troll people. They specifically allowed children to write it so that they could get their kicks watching people like you defend it. Keep putting on a good show!
Can we stick to deals instead of going off topic with why you hate FF12?

Both games suck. Discussion closed. 8^)

jk. I should really try FFXII though. Something in the beginning, the battle system or some shit, confused the hell out of me at first so I just gave up.

anyone have a list of what niche games are available on best buy...? I know someone posted one sometime in the last so many pages but I can't find it, and I want to see if I missed any since I just became a GCU member.

I saw the Nintendo live stream of about Code Name: Steam.....the game really does look great and fun. Looks like solid gameplay, decent enough graphics, a cool system....I can't wait! Also I like how Nintendo is doing things at E3 a lot this year. They may not have a cool press conference anymore (I still enjoyed their direct), but these Nintendo Treehouse sessions are great. Lots and lots of gameplay compared to others. Very neat and I got a good idea of pretty much most of their new games that are in a viewable state. I don't care when people interview a developer or something and all the game had was a trailer with no gameplay. It's usually underwhelming.

So much fighting about FFXII. From what I remember when I played it, it was fun, for the battle system. I don't however, remember a single thing about the story for some reason. Oh right, I remember also playing the game at 3x-5x speed on PS2 emulator cause I found it unbearably slow which is how I feel nowadays for almost all turn based RPGs. 

So much fighting about FFXII. From what I remember when I played it, it was fun, for the battle system. I don't however, remember a single thing about the story for some reason. Oh right, I remember also playing the game at 3x-5x speed on PS2 emulator cause I found it unbearably slow which is how I feel nowadays for almost all turn based RPGs.
I got about 40 hours into it before I just stopped playing and went into Resident Evil 4, and a I think FFXI. I just didn't much care for the starting main characters. Vaan, and Penelo just didn't do it for me. I had enough angsty characters by then. Of course if you played enogh the story started revolving more around Fran, and Balthier, as my best friend informed me. Seemingly became more fun.

Balthier was the best character in the game (by far), so the parts centered around him and Fran were vast improvements over anything Vaan and Peleno tried to do.  

natural doctrine looked like fire emblem to me.  but the camera is bad and the lighting as well.  I could barely make anything out on one level because of how far away the view is and the color issues plus lighting.

I'll have to see some better gameplay other wise I'll probably pass.

Vaan and Penelo were not even suppose to be the main characters. It was suppose to be Basch but he would be considered too old by the Japanese audience and Eternal Session. If Matsuno was allowed to make it the way he wanted it would have been even better. Hell even Ashe would have been a lot more interesting but instead they shifted the focus on the two youngest characters. Two nobodies really.

Give me a break, Green Card. Making fun of one random user on a forum is one thing, but saying that the whole Japanese audience would have preferred Vaan as the main character is just ridiculous and stupid generalization and stereotyping. And yes, having Basch as the main character as originally intended would have been better than having that moron Vaan as the main character but it still wouldn't have saved the game from the nonsensical story and terrible gameplay.

Give me a break, Green Card. Making fun of one random user on a forum is one thing, but saying that the whole Japanese audience would have preferred Vaan as the main character is just ridiculous and stupid generalization and stereotyping. And yes, having Basch as the main character as originally intended would have been better than having that moron Vaan as the main character but it still wouldn't have saved the game from the nonsensical story and terrible gameplay.
FYI, Nier also had the same problem of sales number with their respective games in regards to the issue of having a younger protaganist vs. an older one. Replicant certainly opened at 5 times the sales of Gestalt, and subsequent months proved the pattern to be quite consistent. Now, of course, nothing concrete can be said of FFXII since there does not exist two versions of the game with Vaan and Basch as respective protagonists for comparison's sake; however, to assume that a Japanese audience would not slightly prefer a younger hero when faced with statistical and numerical evidence of the sales of two versions of a game with differences of ONLY the main character would be a folly.

Generalizations do indeed rely blindly on blanket statements, but sometimes these claims have some truth to them.

Alright, so that's one game that slightly proves his and your point. I can't read Kanji and therefore don't know what your links say. But like I said, to me it has nothing to do with the age or even gender of the protagonist. Basch, Ashe, Fran, Balthier, it doesn't matter who the protagonist was. XII messed up on all cylinders and that's just how I feel about it.

FYI, Nier also had the same problem of sales number with their respective games in regards to the issue of having a younger protaganist vs. an older one. Replicant certainly opened at 5 times the sales of Gestalt, and subsequent months proved the pattern to be quite consistent. Now, of course, nothing concrete can be said of FFXII since there does not exist two versions of the game with Vaan and Basch as respective protagonists for comparison's sake; however, to assume that a Japanese audience would not slightly prefer a younger hero when faced with statistical and numerical evidence of the sales of two versions of a game with differences of ONLY the main character would be a folly.

Generalizations do indeed rely blindly on blanket statements, but sometimes these claims have some truth to them.
Only thing wrong with those comparisons are that it is comparing of a PS3 release with an XBox 360 release. The xbox 360 is just generally less popular in Japan vs the PS3 and when releases appear for both consoles, the PS3 sells multiple times more copies than the xbox version.

Heres one of those games

http://jin115.com/archives/51723625.html

On side note, Atelier Shallie LE is up in JP sites

https://shop.salburg.com/product/20th_mbox/

as_03_cs1w1_300x.jpg

Sold for $135 USD in JP Yen after tax so the Play-Asia price will probably be like $140-150. 

Tho, Play-asia doesn't seem to have the Visual book edition one, only Amazon Jp

Only thing wrong with those comparisons are that it is comparing of a PS3 release with an XBox 360 release. The xbox 360 is just generally less popular in Japan vs the PS3 and when releases appear for both consoles, the PS3 sells multiple times more copies than the xbox version.

Heres one of those games

http://jin115.com/archives/51723625.html
^This. Xbox360 sales are pretty sad in Japan.

You got to also admit though, the US character is horrendous looking, so I'm sure that didn't help. And no, I don't play games because the male characters need to be handsome or anything, but he looks like he was dragged through a forest of ugly trees. I can honestly say I almost skipped out on Neir because the cover just gave me the impression of 'cheap badly-modeled generic barbarian dudebro game'. I only decided to pick it up because of video game sites and user comments on how good it was. So glad I didn't' pass it up though, because it's a really good game.

On side note, Atelier Shallie LE is up in JP sites

https://shop.salburg.com/product/20th_mbox/

as_03_cs1w1_300x.jpg

Sold for $135 USD in JP Yen after tax so the Play-Asia price will probably be like $140-150.

Tho, Play-asia doesn't seem to have the Visual book edition one, only Amazon Jp
Too bad we'll never see releases like this for the Atelier series anymore. Atelier Standard releases and digital only Vita releases....oh how the lovely CEs we got have fallen....

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/06/13/hyperdimension-neptunia-rebirth-1-possibly-coming-to-pc-as-well/

Whelp... apparently HDN R1 is coming out for the PC, I'd love to see the mods for this game. Maybe a Noel-Neptune, or a Black Rock Shooter-Noire, or maybe even a Mikasa-Blanc.
Actually what I read is that Idea Factory International is interested in bringing it out for PC so they got the ESRB rating for the title. Nothing is finalized yet.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/06/12/idea-factory-comments-hyperdimension-neptunia-rebirth1-pc/

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/06/13/hyperdimension-neptunia-rebirth-1-possibly-coming-to-pc-as-well/

Whelp... apparently HDN R1 is coming out for the PC, I'd love to see the mods for this game. Maybe a Noel-Neptune, or a Black Rock Shooter-Noire, or maybe even a Mikasa-Blanc.
Actually what I read is that Idea Factory International is interested in bringing it out for PC so they got the ESRB rating for the title. Nothing is finalized yet.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/06/12/idea-factory-comments-hyperdimension-neptunia-rebirth1-pc/
That's good news but I hope they don't get the same people who did Agarest to port it. Not really thrilled with that port at all.

Also hope they don't do something stupid like not put it on Steam or saddle it with some ridiculous antiquated activation limit DRM.

At least they can't use GFWL anymore. :p

That's good news but I hope they don't get the same people who did Agarest to port it. Not really thrilled with that port at all.

Also hope they don't do something stupid like not put it on Steam or saddle it with some ridiculous antiquated activation limit DRM.

At least they can't use GFWL anymore. :p
I really don't know what there is to dislike about the agarest ports. They run well and have all the basic PC features you would expect... what more did you want o_O

I haven't played Ayesha much too, and like you, I got Escha & Logy cheap from GoHastings. Is it bad I want Rorona Plus right away too? xD
Actually I'd probably recommend starting with Rorona Plus. I have all up to Ayesha....my Gohasting order for Escha & Logy was cancelled so i'm waiting for it cheap on Gamefly or something. Starting with the oldest and moving up is always a good way to enjoy a series of games and allows you to see the evolution of gameplay and story (or devolution in some cases).

I really don't know what there is to dislike about the agarest ports. They run well and have all the basic PC features you would expect... what more did you want o_O
I'd like to know as well. I have 2 and Zero on disc for PS3, but I ended up buying Agarest 1 during a Steam sale @ $6.79ish which was cheaper than buying the digital version on PSN.

Namco listened to everyone's complaints and ditched Digital River for Amazon.
Is that really a good thing? I guess for standard items, but LE stuff comes just as bad through Amazon if you ask me. Amazon is way better to deal with in regards to CS obviously, but once something is SOLD OUT, it's gone, and it doesn't matter who is shipping it, you'll still be out of luck.

Amazon has much better distribution, so I'm sure Namco will do way better now sales wise, so I'm all for this move, but let's not get to excited yet.

Finally got SAO: Hollow Fragment (Asia, Japanese voice w/ Chinese/English subs).

As mentioned before in this thread, note that it is ONLY the Vita sequel Hollow Fragment. The English subbed HD version of the PSP's Infinity Moment is only included in the digital release of SAO:HF for NA/EU.

Finally got SAO: Hollow Fragment (Asia, Japanese voice w/ Chinese/English subs).

As mentioned before in this thread, note that it is ONLY the Vita sequel Hollow Fragment. The English subbed HD version of the PSP's Infinity Moment is only included in the digital release of SAO:HF for NA/EU.
Err, you prob read the translation error then. The game is actually both Hollow Fragments AND Infinity Moment. Or rather, Infinity Moment HD and Hollow Fragments.

"Hey guys! Community manager for Bandai Namco Games Europe here (and the author of the post). It seems we need to clarify more what we meant and we're going to do that. Trust me, it is not PR bullsh*t: it would be very very stupid of us to say something false about a game that anyone can check by looking at videos online. Not to mention dishonest! (which is not my style).

What we meant to say was that you can play Infinity Moment (the floor clearing part) in Hollow Fragment, and not just the Hollow Fragment part of the game (Philia/Laughing Coffin), which felt like two games for us since we never got Infinity Moment on PSP in Europe. We'll work on the way to communicate this better.

Sorry again for the confusion! Please always assume I messed up using the correct words instead of malice next time D: it's really never my intention to mislead."

Is that really a good thing? I guess for standard items, but LE stuff comes just as bad through Amazon if you ask me. Amazon is way better to deal with in regards to CS obviously, but once something is SOLD OUT, it's gone, and it doesn't matter who is shipping it, you'll still be out of luck.

Amazon has much better distribution, so I'm sure Namco will do way better now sales wise, so I'm all for this move, but let's not get to excited yet.
I wasn't being serious in my response. :lol:

Infinity Moment is basically the base game while Hollow Fragment is sorta of an expansion. Hollow Fragment is basically Infinity Moment with an additional character and more plot i suppose. It really isn't two games. As per to what AngelsPlight said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back