Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
quick question: was there any pre order bonus for Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus? I cant remember and need to go pick up my copy from GS. The new people they have there are idiots and forget to give you the pre order stuff unless you ask for it these days. I had 1 pre ordered there and one at BBY.

From what i recall the only preorder bonus was a first print LE packaging right? Were there any other pre order bonus's at any retailers?

*edit*

do Best Buy pre orders for Tears to Tiara have the artbook too? Just noticed GS lists one but didn't see it on BBY's site when i preordered a while back
To my knowledge there were no pre-order bonuses with SKSV, Just the limited edition stuff.

Also, on that note my Best Buy copy has actually been shipped and is expected on Thursday according to the tracker

Nothing wrong with it. I've just gotten to the point where I'd rather have a lighter system and better battery life. On the PS TV side, having audio coming out of the TV and using a Dualshock is attractive. I just feel like there's gonna be a deal on both the PS TV and Vita Slim on BF, so I was thinking of trading in my OLED for $160 with the GS coupon.
These are the main reasons I'm still torn on whether to get a Vita TV or a Vita slim first.

I want a Vita Slim myself because of the colors (yes I want the pink) and the bettery battery life plus it supposedly feels better to hold. It will have to be a decent price though as i'm not that crazy to replace it.
The bundles are what I'm after. I had wanted the Borderlands 2 bundle, but heard that the game has some framerate issues.

I know this is a bit early and not sure if this is the correct place...since not really a deal, but rarely is there any deals in here.

Grisaia no Kajitsu is getting a Kickstarter soon, and I will make a separate post when that occurs.

Link

This is a story heavy high quality visual novel with both an 18+ version and all ages I believe. There is a lot to take in, and hopefully with enough funding, we can get the other games as well since it's a good idea to get them all as the stories and characters are related. The anime is also airing currently, and it's OK. I personally liked the game though I didn't care for Amane as a character though her story was necessary, long and quite good. This is one visual novel I enjoyed, and I rarely enjoy them a whole lot. It's good to support visual novels in the west since they are so niche.
Never played a visual novel with 18+ stuff. Does it really disrupt the flow of the story with that content removed?

quick question: was there any pre order bonus for Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus? I cant remember and need to go pick up my copy from GS. The new people they have there are idiots and forget to give you the pre order stuff unless you ask for it these days. I had 1 pre ordered there and one at BBY.

From what i recall the only preorder bonus was a first print LE packaging right? Were there any other pre order bonus's at any retailers?

*edit*

do Best Buy pre orders for Tears to Tiara have the artbook too? Just noticed GS lists one but didn't see it on BBY's site when i preordered a while back
Those particular Gamestop employees don't "forget" to give you your pre-order bonus. They probably keep it for themselves. Anyway, I think there wasn't any pre-order bonus for Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus.

Might have to pre-order Tears to Tiara if there's an artbook. I'm a sucker for physical pre-order bonuses.

I really need to get into the Tales series. Only Tales game I've tried was Abyss, but I didn't get very far because I hated the MC. I'll probably pick up Hearts R, especially with the preorder bonus.

You can get $160 GS credit for a Vita 1000? Hmm. I think I paid less than that for mine last Black Friday.

Ah, $166 after tax+shipping. Hmm.
Yup, traded my 1000 in a heartbeat. Hadn't touched it since the Slim came out, so I used it to get a few Ad-Hoc only trophies and traded it toward a PSTV and 2 upcoming Vita games.

Not a bad deal at all. I couldn't even feel myself playing the 1000 again anyway, it feels so different after using the Slim for months

@Kenshin: T2T is a first print "art book" edition. BBY's copies should also include it in the packaging.
Ah ok so the T2T pre order bonus artbook is either going to be shrinkwrapped to all 1st print copies, or in some kinda 1st print packaging then right? Its not a seperate item i need to preorder to get?

To my knowledge there were no pre-order bonuses with SKSV, Just the limited edition stuff.

Also, on that note my Best Buy copy has actually been shipped and is expected on Thursday according to the tracker
Anyone know for sure if Senran Kagura had no pre-order bonus? Yea i went into GS to get it today ut they said they couldn't sell it till tues. Reason i thought it was available was because my BBY copy shipped as well

Those particular Gamestop employees don't "forget" to give you your pre-order bonus. They probably keep it for themselves. Anyway, I think there wasn't any pre-order bonus for Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus.

Might have to pre-order Tears to Tiara if there's an artbook. I'm a sucker for physical pre-order bonuses.
Yea... thats possible, but judging from my experience with them i think they may just be that incopetent. Its sad. THere actually was a GS in my town that was GOOD. I couldn't believe it. The employees were friendly and helpfull and knew their stuff. Plus they would hook me up with extra pre-order swag that they got or was never claimed. Thats where i got my Xenoblade artbook from. Of course tha one got shut down and all thats left is the one full of derps now

I really need to get into the Tales series. Only Tales game I've tried was Abyss, but I didn't get very far because I hated the MC. I'll probably pick up Hearts R, especially with the preorder bonus.

You need to play Vesperia and Symphonia
Vesperia rules. Give Abyss another try. THe MC is a douche, yes, but he actually grows through the game. Most of it is about him coming to terms with who/what he is and growing a hell of a lot as a person. I hated him at first too but reall liked him by the end. The game itself is quite good too. I love Jade!

Never played a visual novel with 18+ stuff. Does it really disrupt the flow of the story with that content removed?
I doubt it. The tentative steam release is supposed to be based on the Japanese vita release.

just watch the anime, to see how you feel about it. it is out now. other than fanservice, the story is worked to be fit for safe for work.
Don't listen to this guy, vn adaptations are generally terrible. There's an excellent localization available that is absolutely worth your time. That being said, it takes roughly 55 hours to read so prepare yourself for a considerable time investment. Also tears. So many tears.

Ah ok so the T2T pre order bonus artbook is either going to be shrinkwrapped to all 1st print copies, or in some kinda 1st print packaging then right? Its not a seperate item i need to preorder to get?
I'm guessing it'll be shrinkwrapped in to the back of the game, kinda like Catherine. SKV had no pre-order bonus.

haha yeah abyss is one of the harder ones in the series to start with due to the incredibly unlikable cast >.>

if you feel like getting a 360 try vesperia. Its one of the best titles in the series.

Vesperia rules. Give Abyss another try. THe MC is a douche, yes, but he actually grows through the game. Most of it is about him coming to terms with who/what he is and growing a hell of a lot as a person. I hated him at first too but reall liked him by the end. The game itself is quite good too. I love Jade!
yeah he goes from a jerk with a heart of gold into a suicidal idiot with no self confidence after the other party members throw him under a bus. Because their incompetent douchebags who kept information hidden and helped cause every horrible thing in the plot because of it.

I wouldn't rec trying to finish it after you already didn't like it. If you want just watch the anime.

Picked up a a new 20 dollar copy of Conception for Vita at GS, nice and sealed with the bonus CD, very happy I waited for the drop.
Agreed to me it's a decent $15 game. It's pretty average and gets repetitive far too quickly for an RPG IMHO. I do like the socializing elements, but even those get repetitive. I still need to go back and beat it but played about 30 hours myself.

Yeah, at the beginning Luke's a douche. What got me in the game was that I had actually watched my nephew play it and he was like at the end. So when I started my first run, it wasn't so bad. But on the my second run, I ran threw it so fast cause I couldn't pre-Luke.

I do rec Abyss (it's my favorite) if you can past the halfway point. Otherwise, go with Symphonia, Vesperia, and Xillia. Graces was ok, but at the end, I had to force myself to finish it and the extra arc. I have never played Vesperia, but I heard things about it. I heard Destiny was good to. You can also try Eternia as it was release in English in Europe.

After about fifteen tries in Natural Doctrine I'm going to kill Gomorrah. About damn time.

Edit: And somehow I just died. No fucking clue how as I looked away. Goddammit. It says I have 1 death even though it wasn't Gomorrah's turn...maybe I wasn't careful enough and shot one of my own characters?  :wall:

After about fifteen tries in Natural Doctrine I'm going to kill Gomorrah. About damn time.

Edit: And somehow I just died. No fucking clue how as I looked away. Goddammit. It says I have 1 death even though it wasn't Gomorrah's turn...maybe I wasn't careful enough and shot one of my own characters? :wall:

Screw it, I'll go back for him later. I just wasted two hours on that.
just want to say you are a trooper for putting up with that game, not looking forward to the day i try an tackle it.

It's actually not bad now that I have a good understanding of the linking and initiative systems. That makes an enormous difference in the enjoyment of the game. It's still tedious, though.

The only reason I was trying so hard to knock out Gomorrah is because I wasn't sure if he'd be accessible later or if the ability to beat him is limited to that point of the game. I ended up just creating a 2nd save after bypassing him. Hopefully once I get more characters and level up more I can go back and squish him like a bug.

It's actually not bad now that I have a good understanding of the linking and initiative systems. That makes an enormous difference in the enjoyment of the game. It's still tedious, though.

The only reason I was trying so hard to knock out Gomorrah is because I wasn't sure if he'd be accessible later or if the ability to beat him is limited to that point of the game. I ended up just creating a 2nd save after bypassing him. Hopefully once I get more characters and level up more I can go back and squish him like a bug.
did you try the online multiplayer? how does it work?

did you try the online multiplayer? how does it work?
I launched it and got a couple of MP trophies that are attainable without actually playing a match. There were no players available to try a game at the time. This was within a day or two of launch, however. I haven't gone back to try it again since then, though I plan to at some point.

I liked how Tales of the Abyss made me feel actual emotion for a character that was less likable than a virus.

And then made everyone else in the world actually worse.  And then does terrible things to them. 

Abyss wasn't a very "nice" game was it? 

You can fight the king of the undead anytime after you visit him in the story. So you can wait till reaching the final stages then get the gear at Gomorrah

You can fight the king of the undead anytime after you visit him in the story. So you can wait till reaching the final stages then get the gear at Gomorrah
Nice, thanks.

The only thing I can think of for why I died at the end is that I shot one of my characters in the back. Which unfortunately is easy to do since you can line up a shot and then put somebody else in the way. You'd think the game would just have the characters not take the shot, just like they don't take reaction shots if there's somebody in the way.

Totally off-topic, but Terra Battle was released a few days back for iOS/Android and holy crap is it addicting. I suggest anyone who likes strategy/SRPG games to check it out, cause it's fucking amazing. Plus that music, mmmmm

Totally off-topic, but Terra Battle was released a few days back for iOS/Android and holy crap is it addicting. I suggest anyone who likes strategy/SRPG games to check it out, cause it's fucking amazing. Plus that music, mmmmm <3

(it's from Mistwalker)
Does it use a stamina system that recharges over time? I can't stand those type of games.

Either Danganronpa, or Persona 4 the Golden. I know Persona will take longer. I also want to check out some PSP games like FFT: WotL.

I'll have to check my backlog of PS+ Vita and PSP games to see what's compatible too.
Every PSP game that's playable on Vita should work on Playstation TV.

You are aware of the slowdown issue on FFT: WotL, right? :headache:

I never noticed ff tactics psp to be slow. unless you're talking about the ps1 version?  Personally I hated ff tactics as its everything bad an srpg can be.  Grindy growth system, bad camera, ugly, all character turns go at the same time instead of your turn then the enemies, magic has lag so it misses alot unless you predict enemies moves and such in advance.

tldr use a guide and you may end up liking it but for me its a really bad srpg and not what I am looking for.  Story was good but A bit too wordy.  They spent like 5 minutes in the one section talking about how the mc is too modest/humble.

Ah, no. I literally meant that there's a slowdown built into the PSP version of the game. The spell/skill animation runs at about half the speed of the original PS1 title. Square did it deliberately for some reason. It's not a framerate issue or anything like that, they just changed the animation speed. 

Here's an absolutely terrible quality movie that shows the issue. The PSP on the far left is running the PS1 version, and the other two are running the PSP version (English in one, Japanese in the other.) You can see that the far left PSP completes the spell animation in about half the time of the other two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RQrgo1ytfA

I never noticed ff tactics psp to be slow. unless you're talking about the ps1 version? Personally I hated ff tactics as its everything bad an srpg can be. Grindy growth system, bad camera, ugly, all character turns go at the same time instead of your turn then the enemies, magic has lag so it misses alot unless you predict enemies moves and such in advance.
Ovbiously getting off topic, but seriously, magic 'lag' so it misses? That's why you look at the very easy to access turn list they so kindly provide for you. There's never a reason for your spell to miss.

'All characters at the same time' is somehow bad? I fail to see why that's inherently worse. Actually it doesn't really make sense why 'you go, they go' SHOULD be the standard (and don't get me wrong, I love Disgaea games).

Does it use a stamina system that recharges over time? I can't stand those type of games.
Yes, but I don't wanna play mobile games for more than a few minutes in a sitting so it's not an issue for me.

And what's up with complaining that SPRGs are grindy... what else would they be? FFT and most other games of its type have exploits you can use to powerlevel. I feel like that's the fun part of them. You gotta realize the game came out in the PS1 era, how do you compare it to Disgaea and other series that came out like 10+ years after and have gone a different way since then...

FFTactics also has a pretty good story as well to keep pushing you along. You just have to learn what classes are cool and not and then build your team with what you like later. Loved that game and bought the PSP version to read the story again as I've heard the translation was way better, plus it was on sale at one point.

There are good FFT guides to help you not waste time with bad classes/skills. Definitely worth checking out if you don't want to make things tons harder on yourself than you need to.

I do wish TO:LUCT had good guides like that. There's so much worthless shit in TO.

Every PSP game that's playable on Vita should work on Playstation TV.

You are aware of the slowdown issue on FFT: WotL, right? :headache:
I heard that Dracula X Chronicles doesn't work with it :(

As for the slowdown, yeah, I'll just have to deal with it, been wanting to play as Balthier and see the other game changes for so long, Wish there was a patch for it though.

Got my sealed copy LE with Sound CD on hold. Will pick up later ;)
Excellent! I hope you'll enjoy it too.

Either Danganronpa, or Persona 4 the Golden. I know Persona will take longer. I also want to check out some PSP games like FFT: WotL.

I'll have to check my backlog of PS+ Vita and PSP games to see what's compatible too.
Right now I am on chapter 3 in Danganronpa and it is amazing.

As for the slowdown, yeah, I'll just have to deal with it, been wanting to play as Balthier and see the other game changes for so long, Wish there was a patch for it though.
There is a fan patch, but you have to have a hacked Vita to use it. I imagine that the same exploits will work on the Vita TV once a new exploit is released. But we'll see.

FFT also let you access all the available characters without paying $3200 for them. (That's your cost to guarantee a full stable of the currently available characters.) If you're the luckiest person in the world, it'll only cost you $150 for full access.

But hey, you don't have to be a completionist or a collector to play Terra Battle (so few of you in this thread are either of those, amirite?). As long as you spend time re-rolling for an SS character (you have to beat the tutorial battles again and again for each re-roll), you can join the current stable of one (1) whole player who has beaten the game without in-app purchases (according to TerraBattleForum) and only with the SS character he rolled at the start and a roster full of dragons.

Boy, F2P games sure are great~

FFT also let you access all the available characters without paying $3200 for them. (That's your cost to guarantee a full stable of the currently available characters.) If you're the luckiest person in the world, it'll only cost you $150 for full access.

But hey, you don't have to be a completionist or a collector to play Terra Battle (so few of you in this thread are either of those, amirite?). As long as you spend time re-rolling for an SS character (you have to beat the tutorial battles again and again for each re-roll), you can join the current stable of one (1) whole player who has beaten the game without in-app purchases (according to TerraBattleForum) and only with the SS character he rolled at the start and a roster full of dragons.

Boy, F2P games sure are great~
Ouch.

Well, Next time use your discount double check. ;o

So the GameStop I go to usually has what seems to be a gutted box on the ps vita shelf for each limited edition game they carry (ragnarock ace, ect) my question is if I go in to buy senran tomorrow without a preorder will I get screwed and end up with a gutted limited edition?

So the GameStop I go to usually has what seems to be a gutted box on the ps vita shelf for each limited edition game they carry (ragnarock ace, ect) my question is if I go in to buy senran tomorrow without a preorder will I get screwed and end up with a gutted limited edition?
Chances are since it's new it most likely won't be gutted. Though you could always ask if they have a sealed copy. I don't understand how gamestop is able to sale opened goods as new but if you buy a new game you can't return it if you open it.

My Best Buy called me and said they didn't receive any copies of Tears to Tiara even though I pre-ordered from them, and that no stores in the region are getting any copies (none on the way either). Anyone else have a similar issue or did you all get yours shipped or something?

Chances are since it's new it most likely won't be gutted. Though you could always ask if they have a sealed copy. I don't understand how gamestop is able to sale opened goods as new but if you buy a new game you can't return it if you open it.
Okay thanks!
I just don't want that copy that they gut to be the last one in stock since we don't really know how limited the supply of the game will be at this point

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back