Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I really want to get that since the game is set in the period where samurais are over due to rising Western influences, but $20 is more than I pay for most games, digital or otherwise. I might still get it since I want to hit the $100 on the cashback promotion. I'd gladly buy the Yakuza samurai games for any amount of money, though.

I really want to get that since the game is set in the period where samurais are over due to rising Western influences, but $20 is more than I pay for most games, digital or otherwise. I might still get it since I want to hit the $100 on the cashback promotion. I'd gladly buy the Yakuza samurai games for any amount of money, though.
but couldn't you import that tho?

If you like Hyperdimension Neptunia or you're a longtime Sega fan, there is a new anime that might interest you called Seha Girls on Crunchyroll: http://www.crunchyroll.com/hi-scool-seha-girls

It's basically Sega Saturn, Dreamcast, and Sega Genesis as high school girls. Lots of old-school references like Golden Axe and Virtua Fighter. You don't have to watch on your PC; download the Crunchyroll app on your system of choice, click "Free Samples", and scroll to Hi-Scool Seha Girls.
I saw the first episodes and it's cute. It's really fluffy and silly but an easy watch with shorter 15 minute episodes I believe. My favorite girl is Mega Drive with her big old book of Mega Drive games.

For those of you playing Tears to Tiara II, do you know if the game has individual routes for the heroines or is the game just one big story, sort of like how Agarest does it?

If you like Hyperdimension Neptunia or you're a longtime Sega fan, there is a new anime that might interest you called Seha Girls on Crunchyroll: http://www.crunchyroll.com/hi-scool-seha-girls

It's basically Sega Saturn, Dreamcast, and Sega Genesis as high school girls. Lots of old-school references like Golden Axe and Virtua Fighter. You don't have to watch on your PC; download the Crunchyroll app on your system of choice, click "Free Samples", and scroll to Hi-Scool Seha Girls.
Well, now all my comments about thumbing the Saturn's D-Pad just got a lot creepier. Thanks Japan.

anyone gotten Senran Kagura from BBY? I had 2 ordered and have still not gotten them. They should have been 2 day express shipping. I glanced at tracking and theyve been sitting in Oakland all week
I think I was one of the few lucky ones that had it shipped in a box. It arrived on Wednesday and was shipped from Kentucky. There was a slight crease along the back where it looks like the shrink wrap was a little too tight, but otherwise perfect. After my Tears to Tiara II didn't show up for store pick up on Tuesday, I had it changed to shipping, and that arrived Friday, bubble mailer but perfect, also from Kentucky.

Finished DanganRonpa 2 last night....first one was better IMO. Logic Dive, "Improved" hangmans gambit, and just some of the leaps you needed to make with truth bullets were major downfalls of the game. Still enjoyed the story however, so if the series continues I will still follow it. Now to figure out what niche Vita game to play next...I think I've gotten all major releases except Natural Doctrine in the past couple months.

A tad off topic but for those interested, best buy is having a 17.99 sale on dbz blu ray sets 5,6,&7, and battle of the Gods, amazon price matched season 6&7.

Ok, Best Buy is seriously pissing me off. Just called and now apparently my Senran Kagura isn't set to arrive until November 7th?

Something about a backorder, and checking available stock. This is stupid as hell considering the site still says you can receive it in 2 days with Express/Expeditied....saving 8-10$ is not worth all this damn hassle at Best Buy

Ok, Best Buy is seriously pissing me off. Just called and now apparently my Senran Kagura isn't set to arrive until November 7th?

Something about a backorder, and checking available stock. This is stupid as hell considering the site still says you can receive it in 2 days with Express/Expeditied....saving 8-10$ is not worth all this damn hassle at Best Buy
That sucks. I had to cancel my SK pre order and reorder through the website around the day you did, and supposedly mine is waiting at the store so hopefully the person on the phone was wrong (T2T was supposedly waiting there too but they "accidentally" sent that to someone's house w/e that means) Considering it still says it is orderable online.. I'd probably recall, since based on the call I made about the same game, it seemed they really have no clue what was going on with it. They just don't seem to grasp you can't wait and see what happens since it is supposedly a fairly limited print. GL, hope you don't get screwed.

they didn't get the game due to errors with in store stuff.

People who just ship to home from the start haven't had any issues aside from some damage to their game.
Happening once is one thing, but this is the second time that I know of (The first being P4AU). I just know if it doesnt come tomorrow or I dont have a shipping email, I'm cancelling and ordering at Amazon.

And thanks Midori, I hope not. I really prefer to not have to deal with the hassle of cancelling this as well (Since I did it instore, I have absolutely no tracking or cancellation options on the website)

Don't really know if this is the right thread, but has anyone played "The Calling" on the Wii? It looks interesting, but I don't know if I want to drop $50+ on it.

I like Sega and even more retro sega but man that show was utter crap. I'll try and stomach a second episode because im such a diehard but i know its bad. HyperDimension Neptune is a way better show if you like sega and/or retro game references. and theres lots of better 15min or short episode anime to watch over this.

they didn't get the game due to errors with in store stuff.

People who just ship to home from the start haven't had any issues aside from some damage to their game.
uhh not true at all. As i said a few pages back, i orderd this back in like May with expedited shipping and its still not arrived. Shipped the friggin 9th and still not here over 10 days later. Not sure how that works. I thought if you have 2 day expedited shipping your required to .. you know get it there in 2 days. If i had paid for the expedited shipping instead of getting it free i would have been demanding my money back

got tired of this and just ordred 2 more copies on their website. It will be hilarious if they arrive before the one i ordered almost 6 months ago

uhh not true at all. As i said a few pages back, i orderd this back in like May with expedited shipping and its still not arrived. Shipped the friggin 9th and still not here over 10 days later. Not sure how that works. I thought if you have 2 day expedited shipping your required to .. you know get it there in 2 days. If i had paid for the expedited shipping instead of getting it free i would have been demanding my money back

got tired of this and just ordred 2 more copies on their website. It will be hilarious if they arrive before the one i ordered almost 6 months ago
Do you have a tracking number?

This sounds like your package got lost, not something best buy did.

Played more of Evil Within. IMO, not a very good game. It's basically Resident Evil with a super close FOV and forced aspect ratio. Yes, I can disable these with console, but then the game considers it cheating and you can't earn achievements that way. Also doesn't help that the best thing to do is hide under a bed or in a closet, wait for baddies to pass by, then sneak kill them. Stealth where you have to wait for slow walking AI makes for crappy gameplay.

I get that Shinji Mikami was trying to be artistic with this game, but so much was given up, making the gameplay so shit. 25% of the screen is covered by black bars, and 50% of the remaining is the character's back. Also, like in other RE games, a bunch of box/barrel breaking. There is absolutely nothing about the story either that sparks any sort of interest. The game could've been rebranded as another RE for all I care. T-Virus is what comes to mind whenever I see the baddies in this game. At least there weren't any QTE's I've come across so far. This game is just uninspired.

Unless you're an RE fan, want more of the same dated gameplay, and really don't mind fighting the camera, I would say avoid this game like the T-Virus.

Just bought HDN Victory from that flash sale. Was thinking of getting Battle Princess of Arcadias but the gameplay didn't seem too strong and the story sounds terrible. Might have gotten Miku PDF if I either had a Vita/PS TV or the PS3 version was the price of the Vita version.

I ordered this Saturday the 18th from their website with expedited shipping and have already gotten my UPS email saying it will be delivered Tuesday. No backorder issues here.

Good luck getting yours.

Played more of Evil Within. IMO, not a very good game. It's basically Resident Evil with a super close FOV and forced aspect ratio. Yes, I can disable these with console, but then the game considers it cheating and you can't earn achievements that way. Also doesn't help that the best thing to do is hide under a bed or in a closet, wait for baddies to pass by, then sneak kill them. Stealth where you have to wait for slow walking AI makes for crappy gameplay.

I get that Shinji Mikami was trying to be artistic with this game, but so much was given up, making the gameplay so shit. 25% of the screen is covered by black bars, and 50% of the remaining is the character's back. Also, like in other RE games, a bunch of box/barrel breaking. There is absolutely nothing about the story either that sparks any sort of interest. The game could've been rebranded as another RE for all I care. T-Virus is what comes to mind whenever I see the baddies in this game. At least there weren't any QTE's I've come across so far. This game is just uninspired.

Unless you're an RE fan, want more of the same dated gameplay, and really don't mind fighting the camera, I would say avoid this game like the T-Virus.
Have you gotten past Ch. 4? The game starts to become less stealth-oriented by that point.

The game gets a lot better after chapter 4/5 but I agree. It's kinda sad that it takes an enemy a good 5 minutes to kill a person standing in front of him but there's something strangely compelling about the game. Unlike Shadows of Mordor, there's something in the story and atmosphere that makes me want to get to the likely bullshit explanation.

$10 on it being revealed that everyone is just different personalities of Castellanos (despair, insanity, rationality, and being hot?)

So does Tears to Tiara 2 play like more like Fire Emblem or FF Tactics? Looks like a lot of fun but I'm a bit wary.
It's not much like either, other than being a SRPG. There is no permadeath or job system like from either of those games. There are three difficulty options so I don't think you'd have to worry about the game being too difficult. There is a lot of dialogue to read though, as the game is half visual novel. It takes a little while to get going.

Just bought HDN Victory from that flash sale. Was thinking of getting Battle Princess of Arcadias but the gameplay didn't seem too strong and the story sounds terrible. Might have gotten Miku PDF if I either had a Vita/PS TV or the PS3 version was the price of the Vita version.
PS3 version has more content.

Finally started playing Demon Gaze. It's alright though the whole time i'm thinking to myself ah this feels like Etrian Odyssey but I like Etrian Odyssey a lot more. I will finish the game, but some things just aren't as intuitive. I had to remake a healer cause for some reason I messed up and choose the wrong race so my mysticism stat was extremely low. That healer had my healing staff and a few other things, but when I retired her she took it all with her....thanks game for not just giving me the stuff back....I've made due without the healing staff now, but yeah not cool. Also maybe it's just me but the skills and battles are just boring. I am pretty much picking the do what you did last turn button every turn. It's alright but feels so grindy and the story isn't that good so far. I've only defeated 1 demon and about to do the second, but yeah once I get all the Demons and beat it whenever I will likely not go back to this ever. I'm also not 100% sure what all the stats on weapons and armor do....so confusing really and you can't check easily what each stat means in game.

I really wouldn't recommend this game unless you really want a dungeon crawler on Vita. I'm just not enjoying it that much, though I do quite like the graphics and think those are nice, and the sounds are decent too. Will keep giving my impressions as I go farther in the game.

The gameplay on Demon Gaze is really good IMO. I suspect you'll like it more as you get further in. I wasn't super into it at first, either. The skills and everything start branching out as you get further in and the demons become a lot more powerful. I've only played Etrian Odyssey 1, but I think DG is quite a bit better than that.

BTW, did you figure out auto-movement yet? Pull up the map (square) in the dungeon and move your cursor around. Select a square and the game will ask if you want to do auto-move. Say yes and the character will go there very quickly, which is great. You'll still get random and fixed battles as you encounter them, but not having to manually drive is a great thing.

I hope so, and I'm sure i'll grow to like it. I'm excited for getting my 4th character which I may do now to make the second demon fight easier plus i need another front row fighter. Right now I got Gazer, Paladin and Healer. I do like that auto travel to somewhere on the map feature...it makes it easy to get a lot of fights and also get to those circles to farm items easier. I'm sure i'm just starting to get going and will enjoy it, I just was kind of crazy for Etrian Odyssey. I'm not saying I hate it cause it works, but some parts are just not intuitive at first. I still don't get why they don't give an easy description for the stats of characters and items easily....that is a pain and i'm still not sure what all the item effects do. 

What're you confused about?

Right now I'm running paladin and assassin in front, gazer/healer/wizard in back. I'm kind of regretting the wizard as they're not very good for direct damage so much as casting slow and the like on enemies. There may be a way to easily tell what element an enemy is in order to know which magic attack they're weak against, but I'm not sure what that is.

I'm mainly confused of the stats when you you push triangle I believe and it gives a list of item stats. I understand some like Str+1 cause that's obvious. I don't always understand some like Healing, HP+ (gives higher HP?), and others. Also for stats on items such as for example a shield. What do the symbols mean above these item stats? I mean i can tell the fartherest right is likely physical defense, but I can't really tell what the others are (guessing evade and maybe magical defense). The game doesn't let you find out this stuff easily as I can't just scroll over something confusing me and guess what it is. I push start and that's mainly the only way to figure out some things in the menu but even those are clunky.

Also thanks on the warning about the Wizard....was going to do a ranger instead, and not sure about the frontline person...maybe a warrior or samurai or something like that.

I'm mainly confused of the stats when you you push triangle I believe and it gives a list of item stats. I understand some like Str+1 cause that's obvious. I don't always understand some like Healing, HP+ (gives higher HP?), and others. Also for stats on items such as for example a shield. What do the symbols mean above these item stats? I mean i can tell the fartherest right is likely physical defense, but I can't really tell what the others are (guessing evade and maybe magical defense). The game doesn't let you find out this stuff easily as I can't just scroll over something confusing me and guess what it is. I push start and that's mainly the only way to figure out some things in the menu but even those are clunky.

Also thanks on the warning about the Wizard....was going to do a ranger instead, and not sure about the frontline person...maybe a warrior or samurai or something like that.
The HP+/Healing/armor stuff is a bit confusing, yeah. It's probably in the manual, which I haven't looked at.

Samurai is good at first because they have the ability to hit everybody at once. Later on they're weak, though. Ranger or assassin are both good. Not sure on fighter if you also have paladin.

BTW, did you figure out auto-movement yet? Pull up the map (square) in the dungeon and move your cursor around. Select a square and the game will ask if you want to do auto-move. Say yes and the character will go there very quickly, which is great. You'll still get random and fixed battles as you encounter them, but not having to manually drive is a great thing.
I just started Mind Zero, and it is so obnoxious not having this feature. I liked combat in Demon Gaze better too.

GDI BBY, they wouldn't do anything about my T2T copy that stores never got. Said they could switch it to shipping, but no discount or anything. Gonna wait it out and grab it during a B2G1 or something, oh well.

What're you confused about?

Right now I'm running paladin and assassin in front, gazer/healer/wizard in back. I'm kind of regretting the wizard as they're not very good for direct damage so much as casting slow and the like on enemies. There may be a way to easily tell what element an enemy is in order to know which magic attack they're weak against, but I'm not sure what that is.
I have my Paladin and Gazer in the front and Healer/Wizard/Assassin in the back. I hear the Wizard gets better later on and will be a great asset so I guess we just have to wait for it. I'm on my way to defeat Venus (that dungeon is quite long >.<)

I would say go with a Wizard only because they will help you in the long run, however another option would be to go for the assassin if you are going to forsaken the Wizard.

For my Assassin right now, I gave it an artifact skill which gives it the samurai's slash ability plus it's able to attack twice a turn + I believe it has a bow weapon which makes it inflict poison and other status while attacking twice. I think overall the assassin has great potential with the right artifacts to be one of the best. Definitely go with an assassin choice for one of your slots

GDI BBY, they wouldn't do anything about my T2T copy that stores never got. Said they could switch it to shipping, but no discount or anything. Gonna wait it out and grab it during a B2G1 or something, oh well.
They seem to have deleted my thread, and still no mod reply. I'm about to call and just cancel it.

Or atleast swing by the store while I'm out and see whats up. Nobody seems to have any anwsers

Oh just freaking lol.....I can't even cancel the order because apparently UPS already has it, so now I just have to wait till the 29th between the 7th

For Demon Gaze:

Stats for healing doesn't really matter. You don't need a Migmy to be the healer. In fact, some people recommend someone hardy for the HP/defense boost. You can pretty much cap MYS (stat used for healing) on any character. You won't need to either, because you'll just over-heal.

For stats, you can only increase the base by 20 through leveling up. So a healer has to focus on 2.5 stats by the time they're maxed, e.g. +20 MYS, +20 VIT, +10 AGI. A Mygmy healer will have a soft cap of 33 MYS, and a Dwarf healer will have soft cap of 28 MYS. Add in equpment and furniture, and you can cap either one.

You don't really need any specific class, because you can equip skills from other classes. For example, you can give your healer the wizard's enfeeble spells. Or alternatively, buff your party's HIT, which has more or less the same effect.

Don't choose classes based on front or back lines, because you will end up with 2 characters who can ignore line penalties. So you will be able to have 2 melee characters in the back row eventually. In fact, having only the paladin in the front row makes defending and healing much easier.

You can find 3 levels of the Samurai "slash all" skill, so 3-4 of your characters can attack whole line(s) at a time.
Especially useful for Assassins to be able to hit 3 lines and insta-kill 75% of them.

As for comparing with EO... I've beaten EO 1-4, and DG. EO is a little better, but DG is still pretty great. And DG is only half as long as EO.

tl;dr: You don't really need to worry about races / classes at all.

For Demon Gaze:

Stats for healing doesn't really matter. You don't need a Migmy to be the healer. You can pretty much cap MYS (stat used for healing) on any character. You won't need to either, because you'll just over-heal.

You don't really need any specific class, because you can equip skills from other classes. For example, you can give your healer the wizard's enfeeble spells. Or alternatively, buff your party's HIT, which has more or less the same effect.

Don't choose classes based on front or back lines, because you will end up with 2 characters who can ignore line penalties. So you will be able to have 2 melee characters in the back row eventually. In fact, having only the paladin in the front row makes defending and healing much easier.

You can find 3 levels of the Samurai "slash all" skill, so 3-4 of your characters can attack whole line(s) at a time.
Especially useful for Assassins to be able to hit 3 lines and insta-kill 75% of them.

tl;dr: You don't really need to worry about races / classes at all.
Thanks everyone for all this good information. I think Demon Gaze may be a bit more forgiving than Etrian Odyysey and i'm sure once i get to a certain power point it will be easier. Should have some fun with, and then I will be ready for Persona Q in November....i'm excited for that one!

I think the problem with the Atelier games is you know there will be a plus version, so it's hard to support every game plus they come out every year....i'm behind for sure. The plus versions aren't so much later either.....a year or so usually, compared to something like Disgaea 4 Vita which came 4 years after. Also for what I've seen the core games are always so similar so it's hard to be excited for them. Will I play them all someday...sure....but i'll wait and by then likely have plus versions of all of them.

I think the problem with the Atelier games is you know there will be a plus version, so it's hard to support every game plus they come out every year....i'm behind for sure. The plus versions aren't so much later either.....a year or so usually, compared to something like Disgaea 4 Vita which came 4 years after. Also for what I've seen the core games are always so similar so it's hard to be excited for them. Will I play them all someday...sure....but i'll wait and by then likely have plus versions of all of them.
The downside to that is that we're almost completely limited to digital for the Plus versions (PS3 version of Rorona Plus aside), and these are the types of games I'd really prefer to own in physical format.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back