Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish they'd put the SH games on PSN as PS2 Classics. I have Covenant and From the New World but never got around to grabbing a complete copy of the first game. Would like to play them in sequence but eh :/

As for my thoughts on the system. It's DOA. It's way too niche. And there are other devices/services that do what it does better. The only things that set it apart are being able to play a few Vita games (not a replacement for a Vita) and streaming PS4 content (drop in quality).

My favorite thing about it though is being able to use a DS4, though they could definitely improve it with touchpad integration.
Wish Sony had just added TV out support to vita instead (the 1000 model supposedly already has the 1080 upscaler built-in). Not going to even consider Vita TV, unless it becomes 100% game compatible.

anyone know how i call the Best Buy elite plus phone number? I dont see it on my account page anymore it says it should be on my membership card.. which i never got o_O Wanted to call about that senran kagura sitting in oakland
Don't know since I'm not elite, but you might luck out on that Oakland package when it finally arrives, assuming it was routed through the same distribution center as mine (originated in TN). I finally received Senran in a little over a week (suddenly arrived when i thought it was still stuck in Oakland). Also, it was packaged in a box, so no damage whatsoever. I usually receive dirty mailers from Oakland that look like they've been stomped on....

did you try the BBY unboxed forums? You mention posts were getting deleted or something which i find odd... posting on the gaming forum there has always been quite helpfull and has usually gotten things resolved much faster than dealing with their idiot customer service number
My order finally shipped anyway. And yeah they were deleting my posts, and threads on 2 occassions.

Last time I ever preorder there

Yea. I usually hate games that require strat guides to get most of the extras, but this games characters and unique gameplay and quirks made me not really mind having to use one. I also really liked the ending... it was kinda surprising and refreshing to see something play out to the logical finish without some bullshit Deus Ex Machina 'you win' bullshit jumping in at the end. Kinda depressing but it really fit with the game

3rd is ok, but definitely the weakest of the 3. The best thing about it is the drunken master giant cat in it =P Going from Yuri though as the main character to some annoying tween was a major bummer. If i want that crap i'll play a FF game
Agree on playing for all the extras (except I never got around to the one that requires a second playthrough). Couldn't get into FtNW at all. I stopped playing when I realized I was having none of the fun I had with Covenant.

Korra's review scores are such a bummer... Will wait for the Flash sale or something on it at this point :/
I played through most of it yesterday. If you're looking for a game with a good story it doesn't have it. If you want an action game with solid combat then you'll be happy. I'm really enjoying it personally even if there's no story.

Got my Sinovi Versus today, and of course it's banged up to hell and back. I don't usually ask for adustments, but it looks like it was delivered to a church that tried to beat the lewd out of it. 

I played through The Legend of Korra game and beat it around 4 hours. The game is essentially DMC/Bayonetta LITE. Being a Korra fan, I am biased, but I don't think the game deserved 3-4 out of 10. Even though I'm not very good/new to action games, I feel the system is fairly solid and fluid. Also, might be just me, but the game is fairly hard. Hard in the sense you need to get acclimated to how enemy movements look and learn when to counter them. Also, can't quite mash the xxx or the yyy, you have to at least incorporate dodge/counter canceling. Luckily enough, those are all really easy to do.

Yeah, the story is throw away. But I thought it was adequate. I'm sure they just wanted the game to have no huge impact on the show, but make it believable. The voice acting was fine too, well it was just the VA for Korra pretty much, and the usual Steve Blum (tired of this guy). Though I admit, the last Boss was a real curveball and went all Naruto on me.

As for replayability, all you have is the main campaign, where you unlock extreme difficulty after beating it on normal. And pro bending. Of course you have various achievements to unlock, but not everyone likes to replay the campaign over and over. So the game is technically 4 hours of non repeated content.

The graphics are your usual cel shaded style, so it's up to you if you dig it or not.

General gameplay has you going through a linear path, fighting through stages of bad guys. Occasionally there's a temple run segment where you run Naga through obstacles. For each chapter, there's usually a mini-boss and a final boss.

Overall, I think the game was fine for a budget title, and warranted the $15 price tag. It's a good short taste of the action genre. If you're a Korra fan, I'd recommend you pick it up, otherwise, wait for a sale. It doesn't bring anything revolutionary, but is a solid title from Platinum Games.

Got my Sinovi Versus today, and of course it's banged up to hell and back. I don't usually ask for adustments, but it looks like it was delivered to a church that tried to beat the lewd out of it.
300px-I_See_What_You_Did_There.jpg

I second that! Mine came horribly banged up from the bubble mailer two days ago. Today I just got Curtain Call and it was sent in a medium sized box. Its smaller than Senran Kagura and was sent in a box? How does that make any sense? Thank you Best Buy. At least one game came undamaged.

I second that! Mine came horribly banged up from the bubble mailer two days ago. Today I just got Curtain Call and it was sent in a medium sized box. Its smaller than Senran Kagura and was sent in a box? How does that make any sense? Thank you Best Buy. At least one game came undamaged.
usually bestbuy sent stuff in oversized boxes. i remember the past 2 years , they send standard games in brown small boxes.

yo heads up for anyone who doesn't have them tales of xillia and graces are in a combo pack on psn for 30$. 15$ if you have plus. tos is also on there for 17$ 10 with plus.

It must be dependent on the packer's mood.

I brought Curtain Call at launch from Best Buy and it came in a bubble mailer.

...But that's exactly what I said--Covenant is better than From the New World in every way. :whistle2:k
derp, my bad. Found a tasty new hard cider and had drank too many of them that night =P the wording you used confused me.. when you said the later is superior to the former my mind just thought of the order the games were released in and i thought you were saying From the new world was better than Covenant. However you listed them backwards there and it didn't click. Sorry

Don't know since I'm not elite, but you might luck out on that Oakland package when it finally arrives, assuming it was routed through the same distribution center as mine (originated in TN). I finally received Senran in a little over a week (suddenly arrived when i thought it was still stuck in Oakland). Also, it was packaged in a box, so no damage whatsoever. I usually receive dirty mailers from Oakland that look like they've been stomped on....
a few package actually arrived today but i didn't have time to go through them im gonna check tomorow but it will be hilarious if they were the later ones i ordered. Thanks for the heads up i hope at least one package is in good condition!

usually bestbuy sent stuff in oversized boxes. i remember the past 2 years , they send standard games in brown small boxes.
yea there is no rhyme or reason to it actually. Ive got friggin vita games in those medium square boxes. Not LE's, just regular old vita games packed with a bunch of the inflatable padding

I noticed with some of the recent sales that I can't buy something from PSN if I've already gotten it as a "free" PS+ game. Which kind of sucks. If I really like the game I'd like to purchase it when it's on sale so I don't have to worry about keeping up with my subscription for the game.

My question is this:

If my PS+ expires, what happens if I try to purchase a game I've previously had from PS+? Will it tell me "You already own this", locking me out of purchasing it and then won't let me play until PS+ is renewed? That would suck.

I noticed with some of the recent sales that I can't buy something from PSN if I've already gotten it as a "free" PS+ game. Which kind of sucks. If I really like the game I'd like to purchase it when it's on sale so I don't have to worry about keeping up with my subscription for the game.

My question is this:

If my PS+ expires, what happens if I try to purchase a game I've previously had from PS+? Will it tell me "You already own this", locking me out of purchasing it and then won't let me play until PS+ is renewed? That would suck.
I had this question previously, but I've noticed that if your subscription runs out, you can then purchase it as if you did not own it through plus.

If you want to buy a game that's on sale but have already "purchased" it through Plus you can contact PSN chat support to have them remove the game from your download list. Once that's been done you can then buy the game normally. Just be aware that it can take a couple of days for the game to be removed, so flash sales are out and you want to do this at the beginning of a weekly sale to be on the safe side.

If you want to buy a game that's on sale but have already "purchased" it through Plus you can contact PSN chat support to have them remove the game from your download list. Once that's been done you can then buy the game normally. Just be aware that it can take a couple of days for the game to be removed, so flash sales are out and you want to do this at the beginning of a weekly sale to be on the safe side.
Huh, you're right. I looked at SEN and it displays add to cart, so I assumed I was good to go. When I actually go to add this game (like dyad) to the cart, the webpage freezes. I refresh the page and now it says download to PS3 as if I own it already. Guess I gotta start a chat with sony service reps to remove some games that I want to buy eventually.

Gamestop preorders of Freedom Wars get the following starter pack of DLC:

• Limited Edition Costume - Personalize your Freedom Wars character with Formal Wear
  • Powerful Starter Weapons - Upgraded melee and long range attack weapons
  • Limited Edition Sticker Set - For in-game use
  • Combat Pack Item - Medical Supply Set

Gamestop preorders of Freedom Wars get the following starter pack of DLC:

• Limited Edition Costume - Personalize your Freedom Wars character with Formal Wear
  • Powerful Starter Weapons - Upgraded melee and long range attack weapons
  • Limited Edition Sticker Set - For in-game use
  • Combat Pack Item - Medical Supply Set
Man, I wish Freedom Wars wasn't so heavily multiplayer-oriented... :-({|=

Never played any of the Shadow Hearts games.  I would be nice to see that in some sort of new format like on the PSN, HD Remaster for PS4 and/or as a PS3 compilation.

Been cancelling more games than ordering...just trying to play my games....and wait for them to go cheap later! I cancelled Freedom Wars and Fantasy Life, though Fantasy Life looks awesome...I will likely get that a bit later.....I'm sure by the time I want to really play Freedom Wars I will just play MH4 instead. Not a huge hunting game fan though, but someone said they would play MH4 with me when it comes out.

BB couldnt even get the damn expedited part of my order right....shipped yesterday morning, won't arrive till the 28th.

On the upside, Bayonetta 2 shall keep my weekend occupied.

Freedom wars also get DLC preorder bonus from best buy and amazon.

As for shadow hearts , the Japanese developer is out of business and midway for the first 2 game is also out of business . So change for any HD remake is basically zero

yep shadow hearts is dead.  It'd be nice if atlus could get the license and continue the series but it would be pretty hard to make any money off it.

Got my copy of Shinovi Versus (Amazon) and it was in perfect condition. Although I did order with some other stuff, which ensured it wasn't sent in a bubble mailer. I'm happy because it saved me a trip to GameStop.

Am I the only one that is unreasonably excited for Fantasy Life? There are certain games--through a combination of design, aesthetics, music, and more--that are able to hit this perfect, esoteric G-spot for my enjoyment. From everything I've seen, Fantasy Life will definitely be one of those special gestalts for me. I really hope that I'm not let down!

Am I the only one that is unreasonably excited for Fantasy Life? There are certain games--through a combination of design, aesthetics, music, and more--that are able to hit this perfect, esoteric G-spot for my enjoyment. From everything I've seen, Fantasy Life will definitely be one of those special gestalts for me. I really hope that I'm not let down!
Reading this clinched it for me. :whee:

I'm actually extremely excited for this game. I usually avoid too much media on a game once I know I want to get it. But this game I get really excited whenever I see gameplay vids or discussion and trailers. I can't wait to play it tomorrow.

Yeah. I can't find much info on it, though. Somebody on Gamefaqs said it takes about 40 hours for the base game, but there's another 20 hours if you do all the epilogue content.

Here's a thread where people are talking about the story and it sounds like it's bad, though:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/715590-freedom-wars/69679599
I will probably skip this one given how poorly I felt SAO played and this is also coming from over seas. It definitely won't be on my radar until it hits $10.

I'm excited for Fantasy Life...I cancelled my order but it looks great. I just have too many new releases and stuff I haven't played yet. Level 5 FTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back