Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeap. I know. I'm great. :D/ But I'm not an awesome Sage.

But what can you do?

1. Buy the localized censored version and complain, or suck it up and buy. Don't care about the censorship and buy it regardless.

2. Say I'm not buying censored things and skip it.

3. Straight up import it so you can get the full uncensored experience without subs.

Once another game like this comes out, people will continue to complain about the censorship regardless.
Guess that means no to my question. Too bad. How about 4. Be pissed that games ever get censored. Let the powers that be know. (Localization crews, government officials, etc) I've always been pissed that Australian game consumers are constantly being plagued by crap like this. I don't care how many titties are shown in this game. I hate the fact that there is censoring of any kind. Game developers should have the same freedoms that movie producers do. Now in NA we get some BS because the localization crew wants to be lazy and appeal to as many countries as possible with a single translation. The Benefits and Plague of region free carts.

You think it's because they're being lazy? Wow. Okay.
Yes, the translation team specifically said that the reason it was censored in NA is so that it would pass in all territories that they were aiming for. One translation, many territories. Okay so maybe a better word would be monitary? Print only one new cart for many territories.

I find their explanation to be more than fair. The incredibly minor censoring (which is an under-exaggeration) happened so we could get the game at all.

Also you mentioned Australia and this isn't even mildly close to the level games were censored there.

I find their explanation to be more than fair. The incredibly minor censoring (which is an under-exaggeration) happened so we could get the game at all.

Also you mentioned Australia and this isn't even mildly close to the level games were censored there.
Yes, it's fair when you are looking to cut costs and get enough physical units printed for an actual release. The censoring wasn't necessary for NA region, it was necessary for the other regions. But I'd rather that happen than have them not afford to release a physical version.

I'm just not an advocate for censoring in video games in general. Movies don't get the same degree here.

that's when you get your stuff insured so you can replace them in case of an accident, natural disaster or theft. My wii for example was destroyed in a fire and insurance covered the cost for me to buy a new one. Nintendo wouldn't transfer my large amount of digital titles. I don't buy digital from them anymore because of that.
I'll bet your deductible was at least 10 times the cost of the Wii. If not, can you let me know what brand and plan of homeowners insurance you have? I have yet to find a homeowner's insurance with a reasonable premium and less than $3K deductible.

I'm also surprised to hear that Nintendo wouldn't let you transfer your digital library. When I upgraded my 3DS a couple of years ago they let me transfer my entire digital library on that. Yes, their account system is frustratingly obsolete, but their customer service was pretty helpful when I called them.

Yes, it's fair when you are looking to cut costs and get enough physical units printed for an actual release. The censoring wasn't nessicary for NA region, it was nessicary for the other regions. But I'd rather that happen than have them not afford to release a physical version.

I'm just not an advocate for censoring in video games in general. Movies don't get the same degree here.
Movies are censored and cut all the time to make the ratings the studios want them to have.

It went cheaper than that on psn lowest point was 4$ but it also dropped to 15$ new by september and bamco had alot of sales online that year. So either or you couldn't really go wrong if you hadn't played them before. However tos chronicles is a port like the kh and ffx collections and those always drop in price. And considering you were willing to wait months for that psn sale you could of just waited a little longer and gotten it even cheaper. Patience pays off with videogames barring anything with a low print run.
I didn't wait months for that sale, it was like 3 weeks after release, during PSN's RPG sale.

I know, it's stupid that they would further censor from the original release. Many people want to own what was the original release, not some diluted version of it. But they want it in their native language.

Not so much to ask.
Just so you know, I wasn't agreeing with you. I was laughing at you because that last comment was so ridiculous.

Why would you want the garbage that was cut? I just want the content that was originally released.
Two words: Blade Runner.

More detailed explanation: The 'original' version of Blade Runner had, among other things, a horribly performed voice-over narration that destroyed the concept of "show, don't tell" forced upon it that neither Ridley Scott nor Harrison Ford wanted in the film. Thankfully Scott was later able to re-edit it into a version called 'The Final Cut' that rectifies that.

Funnily, the 'Director's Cut' of Donnie Darko does the exact opposite of the above.

I'll bet your deductible was at least 10 times the cost of the Wii. If not, can you let me know what brand and plan of homeowners insurance you have? I have yet to find a homeowner's insurance with a reasonable premium and less than $3K deductible.

I'm also surprised to hear that Nintendo wouldn't let you transfer your digital library. When I upgraded my 3DS a couple of years ago they let me transfer my entire digital library on that. Yes, their account system is frustratingly obsolete, but their customer service was pretty helpful when I called them.
Yeah since you would have a police/fire dept. report I don't see why they wouldn't transfer. They're supposed to in those situations.

Are PS TV's on sale right now, or did they get a price cut? Noticed they're about $80 for the system or $100 for bundle at a lot of places.

Two words: Blade Runner.

More detailed explanation: The 'original' version of Blade Runner had, among other things, a horribly performed voice-over narration that destroyed the concept of "show, don't tell" forced upon it that neither Ridley Scott nor Harrison Ford wanted in the film. Thankfully Scott was later able to re-edit it into a version called 'The Final Cut' that rectifies that.

Funnily, the 'Director's Cut' of Donnie Darko does the exact opposite of the above.
It's funny, I love Blade Runner. But I still want the original obviously for nosalgia and collecting purposes. Good example of something that should have been cut from the beginning in a movie.

Are PS TV's on sale right now, or did they get a price cut? Noticed they're about $80 for the system or $100 for bundle at a lot of places.
They were on sale for $70 alone and $100 for the bundle a few weeks ago. But I think the original bundle also included a game at that time. And now it's just DS3 + PSTV @ $100. New price ($20 off original, or free DS3).

Hmm, not bad. I'm really considering one, but I think I'll wait a bit longer. I want to make sure it supports Sony's TV service: Vue whenever that launches since I think our house is going to give it a try and kill the cable box. It'd be nice if you could change accounts on the PSTV though for Vita games. I read about master / sub accounts, but it doesn't sound like quite the same thing.

Any idea when Persona 4 Dancing All Night is coming to come to the West?
We don't even know when it's being released in glorious nippon. Most likely about a month or so after their release though. I'm guessing around mid 2015.

Just how it is, japan always get the goods its been like that forever. It sucks but thats why importing is an option for some of us.
Gotta step up on learning that 日本語 man, making it my news years resolutio to take my studies more seriously

Hmm, not bad. I'm really considering one, but I think I'll wait a bit longer. I want to make sure it supports Sony's TV service: Vue whenever that launches since I think our house is going to give it a try and kill the cable box. It'd be nice if you could change accounts on the PSTV though for Vita games. I read about master / sub accounts, but it doesn't sound like quite the same thing.
There are a few problems with PSTV. If you want to use it as a streaming device. It only goes up to 720P/1080i.

If you want to use it for Vita games, it can only play maybe 75% of them. You'll always be frustrated by that one game you really want to play.

If you want to use it to record game footage, it has HDCP lockout, so you'll need a HDCP stripper, which isn't as fun as it sounds.

Other than that, it's a good price. And it does have 1GB of memory built in, which the Vita is lacking. 1GB isn't enough, but it's enough to allow you to actually use the system without first buying a memory card.

Personally I'm waiting on a Vita TV or whatever that will actually support some means of video out that isn't encrypted. I just don't get it--I mean you can plug the HDMI into a TV or basically any receiver, so I guess the FCC are the people that are preventing inventors from creating something to make a decryption converter (yeah I'm making up a lot of words here).

Thanks for pointing out the Criminal Girls thing, I didn't realize the NIS wasn't the developer. I guess I can let up on my adamant support a bit. Maybe, really, this whole thing is just a ploy to create awareness in the West and trick people into importing? Kinda like making everyone thing you're not supposed to see a movie, and having the president even make a statement, then have the said movie come out as scheduled a few days later?

Last point of irony: if there was a game that was going to come West from Japan that really did include grade school girls and panty shots and the ability to get them drunk in minigames and you could even take them on dates and just do some really questionable things, how would you feel about that? I know Criminal Girls isn't nearly as extreme as the previous fictional extreme statement, but trying to make censorship a white or black area and not a grey one seems like dangerous waters to tread.

Personally I'm waiting on a Vita TV or whatever that will actually support some means of video out that isn't encrypted. I just don't get it--I mean you can plug the HDMI into a TV or basically any receiver, so I guess the FCC are the people that are preventing inventors from creating something to make a decryption converter (yeah I'm making up a lot of words here).

Thanks for pointing out the Criminal Girls thing, I didn't realize the NIS wasn't the developer. I guess I can let up on my adamant support a bit. Maybe, really, this whole thing is just a ploy to create awareness in the West and trick people into importing? Kinda like making everyone thing you're not supposed to see a movie, and having the president even make a statement, then have the said movie come out as scheduled a few days later?

Last point of irony: if there was a game that was going to come West from Japan that really did include grade school girls and panty shots and the ability to get them drunk in minigames and you could even take them on dates and just do some really questionable things, how would you feel about that? I know Criminal Girls isn't nearly as extreme as the previous fictional extreme statement, but trying to make censorship a white or black area and not a grey one seems like dangerous waters to tread.
To each his own, in the end of the game it's just a game and dosen't effect you in real life. I don't think fictional anime girls are grounds for censorship. There are actually many games like that, of course they are not released for any sort of console because nobody wants something like Rance on their consoles.

i just got Akiba's Trip and Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus for ps vita. first time playing jrpg. any other games for ps vita that you guys recommend?

i just got Akiba's Trip and Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus for ps vita. first time playing jrpg. any other games for ps vita that you guys recommend?
Tales of Hearts R, Hyperdimension Neptunia - RE;Birth 1, Demon Gaze, Persona 4 - Gold Edition to name a few.

Tales of Hearts R, Hyperdimension Neptunia - RE;Birth 1, Demon Gaze, Persona 4 - Gold Edition to name a few.
Don't forget Ys:Memories of Celceta and Muramasa. Also if you want to get into rythm games Project Diva F and Cytus Lambda are great

There are a few problems with PSTV. If you want to use it as a streaming device. It only goes up to 720P/1080i.

If you want to use it for Vita games, it can only play maybe 75% of them. You'll always be frustrated by that one game you really want to play.

If you want to use it to record game footage, it has HDCP lockout, so you'll need a HDCP stripper, which isn't as fun as it sounds.

Other than that, it's a good price. And it does have 1GB of memory built in, which the Vita is lacking. 1GB isn't enough, but it's enough to allow you to actually use the system without first buying a memory card.
The 1080i is good to know. I wasn't aware of that. The newer model Vitas do have 1GB built in as well, I believe.

My wife and I both have regular Vita's, we're just realizing that we'd probably have to put a PlayStation console in our second room for Sony's Vue service so if the PSTV gets support it seemed like a solid bet - small console, plays some Vita games, and digital PSP games. 1080i could be a bummer though. Just going to wait it out though. They might not even support the service on PSTV. It doesn't make much sense to purchase one assuming they will, I don't think.

Since you mentioned that the bundle for $100 doesn't contain a game anymore, it looks like this qualifies as a deal:

Gamestop has the bundle with LEGO Movie Videogame, 8GB memory card, Dualshock 3, and microconsole for $100:

http://www.gamestop.com/ps4/accessories/playstation-tv-system-bundle/115549

Personally I'm waiting on a Vita TV or whatever that will actually support some means of video out that isn't encrypted. I just don't get it--I mean you can plug the HDMI into a TV or basically any receiver, so I guess the FCC are the people that are preventing inventors from creating something to make a decryption converter (yeah I'm making up a lot of words here).
Yeah, it's kind of BS that the PSTV has HDMI protection on it. I understand why they are doing it, they don't want people making high quality duplicates of movies, but it's completely stupid in the case of PSTV. The XBOX automatically enables it while watching a movie and disables for everything else, which is fine. The PS4 requires you to toggle between disabled and no ability to play movies, or enabled with ability to play movies (Why can't this be automatic?) But if you really want to copy movies, why in the hell would you ever use a device that can only output 720P/1080i? Wouldn't you rather use a $20 HDCP stripper or BluRay ripping software and get full resolution? At the very least they could have given us the option that they put in place with the PS4.

As for the censorship issue. Video games are just that. Games. They shouldn't need to be censored. If something is highly controversial and I don't like it, I shouldn't be the one to tell someone they can't play it. These games have ratings and I respect the fact that most people generally understand right from wrong and can make their own decisions.

Thanks for pointing out the Criminal Girls thing, I didn't realize the NIS wasn't the developer. I guess I can let up on my adamant support a bit.
It's probably because N1 published it in Japan, so places were referring to it as "Nippon Ichi's Criminal Girls" in articles and stuff. I've always hated the focus publishers get; half the time when I was younger I couldn't tell who actually made a game because the publisher's logo would be the only one prominently displayed on the cover. I remember people always getting confused about Dragon Ball games not playing the same because they didn't realize which ones were made by Dimps, which ones were made by Spike, etc.* NA renaming the Sparking series to the nonsensical "Budokai Tenkaichi" sure didn't help matters.

Nippon Ichi might have some slight fanservice-y stuff in their games, but they've never made anything like Criminal Girls. They treat their female characters with respect overall. They actually started out making their RPGs solely with female protagonists: the three Marl Kingdom games, La Pucelle... It wasn't until Disgaea that they even had a male protagonist, and that game was coincidentally such a hit that it made them start having more. Outside of the Disgaea series though, a lot of their games still feature female protagonists, and not in exploitative way.

*Tangent: Yay, we're finally getting another Dragon Ball game by Dimps. I've always largely liked their games the best out of any based on the series, and Xenoverse looks like it has the potential to be the greatest DB game ever. I hope it lives up to at least a fraction of my expectations, but having an adequate character creation system alone makes me quite happy.

It's probably because N1 published it in Japan, so places were referring to it as "Nippon Ichi's Criminal Girls" in articles and stuff. I've always hated the focus publishers get; half the time when I was younger I couldn't tell who actually made a game because the publisher's logo would be the only one prominently displayed on the cover. I remember people always getting confused about Dragon Ball games not playing the same because they didn't realize which ones were made by Dimps, which ones were made by Spike, etc.* NA renaming the Sparking series to the nonsensical "Budokai Tenkaichi" sure didn't help matters.

Nippon Ichi might have some slight fanservice-y stuff in their games, but they've never made anything like Criminal Girls. They treat their female characters with respect overall. They actually started out making their RPGs solely with female protagonists: the three Marl Kingdom games, La Pucelle... It wasn't until Disgaea that they even had a male protagonist, and that game was coincidentally such a hit that it made them start having more. Outside of the Disgaea series though, a lot of their games still feature female protagonists, and not in exploitative way.

*Tangent: Yay, we're finally getting another Dragon Ball game by Dimps. I've always largely liked their games the best out of any based on the series, and Xenoverse looks like it has the potential to be the greatest DB game ever. I hope it lives up to at least a fraction of my expectations, but having an adequate character creation system alone makes me quite happy.
It doesnt even mean anything when you are talking about bigger developers. For example Atlus made SMTIV, Persona 4, and Etrian Odyssey, but all three are made by different teams. Same with Capcom, Square Enix, Nintendo, etc.

From some of the videos I've watched about this is sounds like you only need to run it through an hdmi switcher? Like you do with PS3. I was considering getting a vita tv to capture some psp games. So I hope that's the case.

Don't forget Ys:Memories of Celceta and Muramasa. Also if you want to get into rythm games Project Diva F and Cytus Lambda are great
Is Cytus Lambda not available anymore? I hadn't heard of it and wanted to check it out, but a search for it on the web store doesn't turn up anything.

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/340701-jojos-bizarre-adventure-all-star-battle-2899-xbox-live-3-month-1999-etc-amazon/

Shoutouts to the guy in this thread for pointing out a discount on Jojos, I don't think I have seen the game have a drop too often.

Also I read something about a new version of the Jojo's fighting game coming out.
It's a different "fighting" game for Jojos being made. It's more akin to Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm (that off center third person). Whereas that one is 2.5D ala SFIV.

From some of the videos I've watched about this is sounds like you only need to run it through an hdmi switcher? Like you do with PS3. I was considering getting a vita tv to capture some psp games. So I hope that's the case.
I'm not sure about HDMI switches, I've always heard to use a splitter. I'm currently using a splitter and that is working to record HDMI video of the PSTV. However, if you are buying a new HDMI splitter, most of them now retain the copy protection to be compliant. I went through 3 different splitters before finally getting one that would break the protection.

One of the splitters that didn't work for me was one that someone had recommended 6 months ago, apparently it was made compliant in the meantime.

This one I picked up two months ago and it works:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004F9LVXC

Is Cytus Lambda not available anymore? I hadn't heard of it and wanted to check it out, but a search for it on the web store doesn't turn up anything.
Ahh I forgot, they removed it from the store. I think I heard awhile back that they are planning a re-release for it officially for the Vita since the last one was Playstation Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back