Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Problem for me is it was maybe 10% story and 90% block puzzles. I was expecting there to be more story and other things.
I do wish they did more with talking with your fellow dreamers, it seemed pretty shallow in that aspect. Btu I guess if you liked the puzzles the game was great but, if you didn't well you'd prolly have a really crappy time

Problem for me is it was maybe 10% story and 90% block puzzles. I was expecting there to be more story and other things.
Don't think we're going to have to worry about Persona 5 being 90% puzzles. lol.

I'd like the graphics from the talking scenes in stray sheep to be the norm, and I'd be very happy.

Can anyone suggest the Appli Archives games that are available on the PlayStation Mobile store on Vita? I noticed that they have Jaleco City Connection for $5.49. I'm wondering the emulation is good or not.

Knew this thread would be hopping after that trailer release. The hype really cannot be contained. The trailer was just that amazing.

I kinda got that feeling from watching some let's plays. While I'm not against puzzles per se (I've played all the DS Layton games afterall), the timed nature of the block puzzles just didnt grab me. Pity, as I thought the story I saw had some potential. I'd like to see them revisit those themes with a different underlying game mechanic.

I wonder what they will have come with it since this time around there isn't cool stuff the mc and other characters are wearing like a baseball cap mp3 player or headphones.
Maybe they will include the Masquerade eyes mask that the main character has.

My issue with Catherine isn't that it was too much puzzles, I think the Bar Sequences were pretty nice but would've loved if you could explore more places like his apartment or where he works, and there was more to gain that just dialogue options, like you could get some items from interacting with people. My biggest complaint is that not a lot of new mechanics are added and the character doesn't level up. It gets pretty tiresome when it just the same climbing over and over again especially when some maps are split into different sections, sometimes the stages change a little and have different effects, Ice, Spikes... but there are only a few number of varying gameplay mechanics and not even more than like 2-3 items available. It gets very tedious after the first few levels when you are tired of the same puzzles and just wanting to see more of the story. But a very very good game regardless, if only they had capitalized on it more, it would truly stand out.

Maybe they will include the Masquerade eyes mask that the main character has.
:nottalking: I want stuff I'd actually use. How about the mc's messanger bag or whatever he carries his stuff in? Or even better yet have it be a parody item with all their knock off drinks from 3 and 4. 1up, fountain dew, nastea, mad bull, agua feena, sobay, moonkist, cielomist, cylon tea, bauer bar, starvicks, v6, dr. salt, dr. salt neo, orange smash, second maid, TaP, the natural ect.

Catherine puzzles tedious? Never. :shame:

The puzzles were the best part of the game because of how intuitive they were. The characters don't level up. You the player level up. It became an entirely new game just by changing the difficulty. It's one of my top games of last gen for these reasons. :)

I can't decide if I want Criminal Girls.

Is it actually a good game or are people buying it just to collect?
As most people seemed to say, i was getting it mostly to collect. Gameplay looked meh. Actually i always buy 2 copies but after hearing this would be censored i didn't order the 2nd and meant to go back and cancel the 1st. Forgot to though, so looks like i will have 1 LE copy that i'll just leave sealed on the shelf

I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I want to support the localization of Japanese games to the West since we miss out on so many amazing games because they might not garner the interest needed to do so.
Catch 22 though. You want to support JP game localization... but do you want to support them censoring things when they bring them over? I dont. The censorship here was better than the junk they pulled with some of their other releases, but its still censorship

Type-0 Is it's own thing right? Like not connected to any other FF Games?

Going to buy it, just need to make sure I don't have to play any other games to catch up on story.

Didn't realize that's out next month. Going to have to buy that and Borderlands and say fuck it to Codename STEAM because I wont have the time, lol.

Type-0 Is it's own thing right? Like not connected to any other FF Games?

Going to buy it, just need to make sure I don't have to play any other games to catch up on story.

Didn't realize that's out next month. Going to have to buy that and Borderlands and say fuck it to Codename STEAM because I wont have the time, lol.
Yeah, it's its own thing. They released Agito later as a prequel, but Agito is a mobile game and hasn't released outside Japan. They're making an HD version for Vita in Japan, so it could perhaps make its way over here.

unless it has a sequel number in its name typically all ff games are self contained stories with nothing to do with other entries in the series (and sometimes even being a sequel doesn't matter)  sequels are generally side titles like ff10-2 and 13-2/3 anyway.

I may go for Type-0 eventually but I believe it releases close to Story of Seasons.....wanted that game for a while...I'll see in March when they come out. It does look pretty neat though and I really doubt we're getting FFXV this year so.....

Hey everyone, I found out a neat tip to see how much space it would take to download all of your PlayStation items onto a single system drive using the javascript tool from here I mentioned earlier in the thread that helps you manage your PlayStation download lists better. http://www.destructoid.com/this-tool-makes-it-way-easier-to-keep-track-of-your-playstation-network-purchases-287186.phtml

Spoiler tagging steps so they don't take up too much space if you aren't interested

#1 click the "Export View" button. you don't need to enter a delimiter. It works fine on default for my purposes.

#2 Copy all of the text.

#3 Paste into Excel. It should automatically figure out some columning and whatnot. It does a pretty good job. Problem is you can't use Excel's sum function on mixed types like KB, MB, GB. So let's convert them all to GB.

#4 Paste this whole thing into E2 (for me):

= IFERROR(VALUE(IF(RIGHT(C2,2)="MB",LEFT(C2,LEN(C2)-2)/1024,

IF(RIGHT(C2,2)="TB",LEFT(C2,LEN(C2)-2)*1024,

IF(RIGHT(C2,2)="KB",LEFT(C2,LEN(C2)-2)/1024/1024,

LEFT(C2,LEN(C2)-2))))), 0)

#5 Where C2 marks the first column in the list with size data. Expand the function down across the entire list until everything is converted. Sum everything up at the end and you'll have the total value.

A few things to keep in mind:

Use the view that makes sense. If you don't want to include all of your PS+ in this, filter them out on the tool first. Similarly if you're trying to estimate what size PS3 hard drive you need be sure to filter out content that can't be stored on a PS3, like PS4 games.

Finally, my formula is using 1024 instead of the estimation of 1000 that most drive manufacturers use. It might be more accurate to change it, but it's close enough for me that I just left it alone.

meh if you want to get a vita tv for it but unlike 3 the original is pretty good as is. it just makes an already good game even better.

as for that trailer totally calling blonde guy to be gay/on lsd. i'm sorry but there is no way he is not after that rollerskate scene barring he's a kuwabara type plus joke character.

I think I will be ok with only having 4 party members so long as they make those 3 decent enough to function without the mc's persona swap ability. Don't know about the stealth segments but I am definitely not going to love platforming being in especially with that weird camera angle.

Also at school Hostile work environment! sad face that its gonna be another high school crap though as I and many others was hoping they had finally moved to college.
shouldn't expect a game to grow up with you

Thinking back I'd be fine with the high school angle if they actually did anything with it.  Its just seemingly there to be there.  Where at least with college there wouldn't be so much wasted days unless the character is really buckling down on their education.

meanwhile I never even knew .hack g.u. 1 had a fricken ce and I followed the game from its jpn launch :/   I would of bought that.

I don't know about anyone else here, but I really hope Nintendo makes another sequel to Fortune Street for NA release.  I loved Fortune Street and had a ton of fun playing that game.  It's weird that I never hear anyone talking about the game either.  Maybe no one else likes it or maybe people just haven't played it.  I would highly recommend playing it if you haven't already.

I don't know about anyone else here, but I really hope Nintendo makes another sequel to Fortune Street for NA release. I loved Fortune Street and had a ton of fun playing that game. It's weird that I never hear anyone talking about the game either. Maybe no one else likes it or maybe people just haven't played it. I would highly recommend playing it if you haven't already.
well people don't really care for how long the game takes to play. unlike say mario party which can be shorter and minigames and junk help give it some variety

I don't know about anyone else here, but I really hope Nintendo makes another sequel to Fortune Street for NA release. I loved Fortune Street and had a ton of fun playing that game. It's weird that I never hear anyone talking about the game either. Maybe no one else likes it or maybe people just haven't played it. I would highly recommend playing it if you haven't already.
+1 Fortune Street is a great game.

It would really be up to square enix if they wan't to do another cross over with their IP with nintendo. Personally I would much rather them not do a cross over and instead make a new 'Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest itadaki street special' as instead of mii costumes you got a whole second mode called the sphere mode which really altered how the game played and gave you two distinct ways to play the game. Plus I prefer Final Fantasy characters over Mario characters.

I was hoping for more from fortune street. I really enjoyed culdcept, but in FS it felt like there was a lot less you could do, and a lot more luck involved.

Another Type-0 trailer. Looks pretty damn cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmTfw7MJkRE
still sucks i missed the LE pre order. Think its still up on SE site but i wanted it through BBY or at least amazon. This is the game that came out on PSP in japan and was suposed to come out here but never did right? Why is it a ps4 game? Graphics look very doable on ps3

thanks. I noticed that miku game on amazon and was waiting for it to show up on BBY. WHat is it btw? Standard Miku rythm game but chibi?

thanks. I noticed that miku game on amazon and was waiting for it to show up on BBY. WHat is it btw? Standard Miku rythm game but chibi?
Judging from the link , it seems like it is. I loved Persona Q, but for some reason the Chibi style in this game is irritating with their triangular bodies.

still sucks i missed the LE pre order. Think its still up on SE site but i wanted it through BBY or at least amazon. This is the game that came out on PSP in japan and was suposed to come out here but never did right? Why is it a ps4 game? Graphics look very doable on ps3
Gives them practice for the PS4 engine. Think of it like a precursor aid in helping them perfect current-gen titles like Kingdom Hearts 3 and FFXV. That's my only guess because if it was for money, they'd release it on the PS3/360 as well.

I'm still bummed Culdcept DS never came out in the States, and that we haven't had a proper update/addition to the series in many years. I'm guessing it would have been a bitch to translate?
It can't be any worse than most RPGs. I'd imagine the 360 game didn't do so well. I saw a 3DS one recently and assume it will be passed over also.

An Update on The Grisaia Trilogy.

Vita release: Sekai Project is now a PSN publisher! This is an important first step towards approval of the potential Grisaia trilogy Vita ports, although there's still a pretty substantial application process we need to work through. We'll keep you updated on future developments.
Hope Sony approves. Hoping Sekai would do an exclusive Kickstarter Physical Vita Release. :pray: A man can dream!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back