Jason West and Vince Zampella form Respawn Entertainment, Join EA Partners

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
http://investor.ea.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=458085

Today, Jason West and Vince Zampella, creators of the multi-billion dollar Call of Duty(R) franchise, announced the formation of a new development studio -- Respawn Entertainment. The move positions the Respawn Entertainment leadership team as the owners of the intellectual property they create. The company will focus on creating state-of-the-art gaming experiences for global audiences. The studio is currently assembling a world-class team of designers, artists and engineers. Applicants can submit resumes to [email protected]

Respawn is pleased to also announce that it has awarded Electronic Arts (NASDAQ:ERTS), through the distinguished EA Partners program, exclusive worldwide publishing and distribution rights to future games. Terms were not disclosed. West and Zampella are represented by Creative Artists Agency (CAA).

"Respawn Entertainment marks a fresh start for Jason and me," said Vince Zampella, General Manager of Respawn Entertainment. "For the past decade we led a great development team and poured our hearts into creating an epic game franchise. We're very proud of what we built - and proud that so many millions of fans enjoyed those games. Today we hope to do it all over again -- open a new studio, hire a great team, and create brand new games with a new partner, EA."

"We're excited," added Jason West, President of Respawn Entertainment. "Now that the team is in control of the games and brands, we can ensure that the fans are treated as well as they deserve."

Frank Gibeau, President of the EA Games Label commented, "This is the start of a great publishing partnership - one that I expect will develop blockbuster game franchises. Jason and Vince are two of the top creative leaders in the entertainment industry. At EA, we're honored to be their partners and to give them the support they need to hire a team and return to making incredible games."

About Respawn Entertainment
Founded in 2010, Respawn Entertainment is an independent videogame development studio based in Encino, California. The studio was formed by Jason West and Vince Zampella, former co-founders of Infinity Ward and creators of the multi-billion dollar franchise Call of Duty(R). More information about the company will be available soon at www.respawn.com.

I hope they create "Summoning of Requirement" and destroy Activision in sales.

Okay, maybe not such a dumb name, but I still hope they destroy Activison. Greedy bastards.

[quote name='Scorch']Please let them work on Medal of Honor.. this could be awesome.[/QUOTE]
They didn't join EA Partners to work on other company's IPs, but to make something new that they would own.

I saw the article on Ars today and some of the commenters were talking about the allegations in the counter suit by Activision, saying that there was some pretty damning evidence against West and Zampella (e-mails and other evidence)...

I went to the original court docs, but I'm just not interested enough about this to really look through it in great detail. Anyway, from what I saw, I just get the impression that both sides are pretty much scum (Activision and the 2 devs). Seems like West and Zampella withheld some of the bonuses from the other employees so that they could award the money to themselves.

I guess we'll find out which party is really guilty in a court of law (if it's not settled out of court, that is), but anyway, I hope each party gets what they deserve. Unfortunately, Activision will probably keep the MW IP and the COD IP. They'll churn out at least one crappy sequel, and people will lap it up.

[quote name='Scorch']Please let them work on Medal of Honor.. this could be awesome.[/QUOTE]
Don't you mean please let them return to to the Medal Of Honor series?

Can't wait to see what they do. It'll be refreshing to see their talent applied to something other than a CoD sequel.

I'm beginning to think this whole mess is just what Activision wanted. Think about it, everyone that leaves they no longer have to pay anyone bonuses, if more leave they can just shut down Infinity Ward completely or sell it off, which gets them out of paying even more. Remember they still have the Modern Warfare engine, which could be re-skinned for loads of different time periods or types of warfare, Treyarch will be busy for the next dacade. But lastly they now totally own the Call Of Duty brand without any "artists" claiming they need more time or the game has to be better getting in the way. The brand is what most non-gaming people think is a great brand of games. I think this was all a cost cutting plan engineered by Kotick himself.

No don't let them join Medal Of Honors even if they can't.

It will just make MoH more like COD which will hamper it in the long run imo.

[quote name='tigerpants']The brand is what most non-gaming people think is a great brand of games.[/QUOTE]
Honestly I don't understand why people seem to think the brand is all they need. Sure it will help sell the next few CoD games but unless Treyarch/Sledgehammer can bring something great to the table it won't last.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']Honestly I don't understand why people seem to think the brand is all they need. Sure it will help sell the next few CoD games but unless Treyarch/Sledgehammer can bring something great to the table it won't last.[/QUOTE]

i agree, i don't think people should value the brand so much, all i'm saying is i think they do. and i also agree in the long term it will kill the fanchise, however, in activision case i think they just plan on buying another studio with a new fancy engine after they burn through all the call of duty possibilities using mw2 as the basis. and i don't think treyarch or sledgehammer will do anything of significance.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']Honestly I don't understand why people seem to think the brand is all they need. Sure it will help sell the next few CoD games but unless Treyarch/Sledgehammer can bring something great to the table it won't last.[/QUOTE]

World at War sold like crazy and it was made by Treyarch. Activision made IW give Treyarch the COD4 engine for it. Now they'll probably have the MW2 engine to work with for COD: Vietnam or whatever else is coming out in the future.

I honestly wouldn't be too surprised to see Activision fill in the missing spots at IW with Treyarch employees and just keep the IW name.

[quote name='jh6269']Seems like West and Zampella withheld some of the bonuses from the other employees so that they could award the money to themselves.[/QUOTE]

Shit, when it going to fucking stop? I hate all these big business assholes stealing money from the people who deserve it. Corporate culture is the world's culture now, and the culture is out of control.

They may not be company that will push exciting new IPs and ideas, but Treyarch is a solid company that could keep the series going for awile.

[quote name='Trakan']World at War sold like crazy and it was made by Treyarch. Activision made IW give Treyarch the COD4 engine for it. Now they'll probably have the MW2 engine to work with for COD: Vietnam or whatever else is coming out in the future.

I honestly wouldn't be too surprised to see Activision fill in the missing spots at IW with Treyarch employees and just keep the IW name.[/QUOTE]

Treyarch will be renamed Infinity Ward West or something stupid like that.

Remember when everybody praised Treyarch for making the awesome early Tony Hawk games? How the mighty have fallen.

Weren't part of the claims that those two were jumping to EA? And then they did. That just seems pretty fing stupid to me. Maybe wait till this blows over? Maybe that's why I wouldn't be surprised of they were in fact skimming for themselves.

bread's done
Back