Jeff Gerttsman let go from gamespot?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']http://www.forumopolis.com/showpost.php?p=1869780&postcount=52

An interesting new twist from one of the guys behind the K&L ad:

This is what I came here to say.

I worked on the K&L ads personally, and I had a front-row seat to the whole debacle.

The ads were originally supposed to point to the GS review page, as they sometimes do. When the review came out, Eidos was understandably upset, and yes—they did threaten to pull the whole campaign—but they eventually simmered down and kept the campaign. They had us change the clickthrough URL from the GS review to the official site, but other than that little changed.

The ads went up and the Eidos brouhaha was settled over two weeks ago. Jeff got fired yesterday. Furthermore, I’d heard a few people tell that he’d already been skating on thin ice for “unprofessional reviews and review practices.” I don’t know much about that, though, so I can’t say one way or the other.

My gut tells me that he got canned for larger reasons. Maybe the Eidos debacle was part of it—I don’t know. But I sincerely doubt that Eidos made Gamespot fire him. CNET doesn’t kowtow to its advertisers, and I’ve more than once seen the higher-ups turn away big advertising dollars for the sake of the company’s integrity.

I think the whole thing is likely a combination of factors, the biggest being poor timing. Gerst gets canned just two weeks after the K&L incident, so people blame it on that (especially when backed by PA, the gaming journalism equivalent to The Daily Show).

It’ll be interesting to see how everything pans out, but I’m definitely gonna keep an open mind about it for now.

It's definitely too early to tell who or what's behind this.[/quote]

Hmm... maybe it was all a coincident. It seems the PA comic was what really made people put two and two together. Maybe, just maybe, (ensure your tinfoil hat is securely fastened) Gabe made that comic to pull some of the heat off of himself over the whole Assassin's Creed advertising/reviewer bashing. ;)

these publishers are just way too much. remember when sony sent those "nice looking" review kits for Lair? telling them how they should play the game to maximize their experience so it could get a better review. joystiq bump

so i guess the printed-magazines will soon experience this type of BS? if a game sucks, then it sucks! the world should know.

[quote name='mykevermin']The biggest problem isn't that it's too early, but it's impossible. No amount of evidence would satisfy the conspiracy theorists who point to Eidos' influence over the firing. Mostly because it's all performance related with regards to the subjective nature of written reviews.

Moreover, any claims of "unprofessional conduct" in reviewing will be piled right on top of the "bad timing" heap to further reinforce the conspiracy to oust him.

I have no idea one way or another if Eidos was involved, or if it really is just poor, poor timing. What I do know if this: if he was fired for other reasons than this incident, those people who believe in the Eidos conspiracy will never be satisfactorily disproven.[/quote]
True. Those who've already made their minds up on what's happened won't be easily swayed by any evidence that comes out to say otherwise. I was referring more to those that don't make quick judgements and assumptions instead of those that do. It'll never be 100% conclusive as to who or what is behind this, but we can get a much better idea from the news and info that comes out around this.

So advertisers have sway over a website that reviews what are, essentially, electronic toys? Is it really surprising with all of the sleazy advertising methods out there? There are no unbiased entertainment reviews anywhere, and I'm surprised people bias doesn't manifest itself when rating entertainment products since the fundamental concept appeals to your personal preferences. Sure, it sucks IF he got fired for speaking his mind, but how many times have you walked into a meeting with a big client for your company and been like "Yeah, your company's product sucks" ? Probably not once, because your ass would get canned. It's shitty, but all business is in the end.

Want an accurate review? Rent the game.

Strange things are afoot at the Circle G. "The Hot Spot" has been really, really lame for weeks now (with a very robotic, corporate feel), they gave almost transcendentally* orgasmic reviews to Assassin's Creed and Crysis, and I see they've got "XBLA picks" actual on the Arcade blade on Live. And now this.

Gerstmann was great, and he was the only reason I subscribed to that podcast. Unfortunately, if my hunch is correct and they've decided to forego integrity for being industry lapdogs, he's now the Gary McCord making "bikini wax" comments about the greens on Augusta. In other words, he's not welcome there anymore. fuck 'em.

*--And laughably. Go read the Creed one. Seriously.

[quote name='lanzarlaluna']Whether or not you liked Gerstmann or GameSpot, this may be the start of a scary trend for the gaming industry. And for that, everyone should care about this.[/QUOTE]
You do know this isnt the first time this kind if things has happen?

[quote name='phear3d']so i guess the printed-magazines will soon experience this type of BS? if a game sucks, then it sucks! the world should know.[/QUOTE]

Soon? There's more ads then game articles/reviews in most magazines. You think they advertise in magazines that slam their games?

Sad to hear it sounds like he might've lost his job because he doesn't score some titles as high as other sites and it's percieved as negative attitude. Still as many people say they're going to stop going to gamespot because of this, many of the same people flipped out because he gave Zelda an 8.8/10. The publishers are part of the problem, but the audience is too.

If he lost his job over ads that is bullshit. As far as the dude himself...he always came across to me as someone who was burnt out on playing and reviewing games. I know about the lower scores that he gave certain games but I mean overall he seemed to focus on the negatives. It should be interesting to see where this goes next.

I also feel very badly for Jeff's plight, because whether it was this specific review incident, or the 'bigger picture', he certainly has always had a professional-but-jaded attitude, and we all know how well that goes over with the corporate world. In other words, since his name's not Luke Smith* and since he hasn't been pimping an AAA FPS for years, I think it's going to be tough for him to find decent work, period.

Jeff Gerstmann...coming to a "blue shirt" near you??

EDIT: I really don't know why anyone would want to be a game reviewer anymore, especially in light of this. Nobody wants your honesty. You've got the looming threat of publisher pressure above you, and the tantrum-throwing of children and man-babies below you if your score does is not congruent with their fondest wishes and ridiculous emotional investment. And we wonder why the 'rest of the world' still persists in thinking gaming is for children and the emotionally stunted. Guess what? It apparently, on the whole, IS.

*--And, yes, I admit he's now jumped a shark and a Scarab and the whole Pillar of Autumn. But at least he's got a gaming gig still.

Nothing is known for sure, and most of the posts in this thread are nothing more than stupid ass speculation. This whole thread is like watching Fox News.

Tune in tonight at 8pm for a post that could save your life. WHAT DANGERS MAY LURK IN GAMING REVIEWS, AND WHAT CAN YOU DO TO PROTECT YOUR CHILDREN??!?!?!?!?!

http://www.penny-arcade.com/2007/11/30

It's been a couple weeks discussing reviews and reviewers around here, but somewhere along the way I neglected to mention that their job is essentially impossible. The 7-9 scale they toil under is largely the result of an uneasy peace between the business and editorial wings of the venue. No matter what score they give it, high or low, they're reviled equally by the online chorus. Apparently, even when they do it right they're doing it wrong.

Jeff Gerstmann is no stranger to controversy. In general terms, Gamespot can be relied upon to give high-profile games scores which are slightly lower than their counterparts elsewhere. It's almost as though there is an algorithm in place there to correct the heady rush associated with cracking open an anticipated new title. Gerstmann's 8.8 review of Twilight Princess cemented his reputation as a criminal renegade with no law but his own, even though he gave the game an 8.9 - a nine, essentially - out of ten.

I will tell you the Gerstmann Story as we heard it. Management claimed to have spoken to Jeff about his "tone" before, and no doubt it was this tone that created tensions between their editorial content, the direction of the site, and the carefully crafted relationships that allowed Gamespot to act as an engine of revenue creation. After Gerstmann's savage flogging of Kane & Lynch, a game whose marketing investment on Gamespot alone reached into the hundreds of thousands, Eidos (we are told) pulled hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of future advertising from the site.

Management has another story, of course: management always has another story. But it's the firm belief internally that Jeff was sacrificed. And it had to be Jeff, at least, we believe, precisely because of his stature and longevity. It made for a dramatic public execution that left the editorial staff in disarray. Would that it were only about the 6.0 - at least then you'd know how to score something if you wanted to keep your Goddamned job. No, this was worse: the more nebulous "tone" would be the guide. I assume it was designed to terrify them.

For Gabriel, this tale proves out his darkest suspicions. People believe things like this anyway, but they don't know it, and the shift from intuitive to objective knowledge is startling. I think it rarely gets to this point. The apparatus is very tight: there are layers of editorial control that can massage the score, even when the text tells a different tale. A more junior reviewer might have seen their Kane & Lynch review streamlined by this process, divested of its worrisome angles and overall troubling shape. It was Jeff Gerstmann's role high in the site's infrastructure that allowed his raw editorial content to pierce the core of the business.

(CW)TB out.
Penny Arcade's account of the situation.

[quote name='redfusion']This is pretty messed up if true. Also this guy is running a tally of people cancelling their subscriptions http://www.gamespot.com/users/Adam_B/ . It's up to $4054.80[/quote]

A little pre-emptive, but yeah...

I cancelled my sub a few weeks back because, honestly, there's nothing worth the $60/yr. Stick it to em'

[quote name='mykevermin']I don't know that I trust that lot either, for what it's worth.[/quote]
That's why it's their account, their reasoning for doing the comic that pretty much set of this piece of news.

I'm sure this is something that has happened before. But, thinking about this, say this is true. Eidos pulled money due to Jeff's "tone". Gamespot's ad space is only valuable because people go there to trust their news and reviews (whether you agree with them or not). But, if this is true, you instantly can't believe their reviews (past, present, or future) that weren't done by Jeff. You can't really trust the news there either, since you know they are on the take. Can you even trust bad reviews there, maybe that company didn't pay enough for a good one. It makes the company completely useless, and eventually people will leave.

It also makes Jeff an instantly credible reviewer, which means any one of several other sites would salivate at the shot of getting him on their staff, and the credibility that brings.

If this is true, Gamespot may have helped itself in the short term, but at a huge cost to the long-term here.

Well, while I think this move and the timing is incredibly myopic, they're most likely banking on the negligible attention spans of the garden variety registered user/fanfuck. I assure you, while people won't forget this come the New Year, they largely will find themselves mindlessly clicking on Gamespot reviews as soon as they post. Probably sooner, actually. It's all math and stupid human nature. The Suits will win here.

P.S. I'd like to think that a "1up" or IG--no, just 1up--would take a flyer on Jeff, but given the incredibly fucked up nature of gaming 'media', I think they're actually going to do everything they can to keep their distance from him. Plus, he's not 'cool-looking' enough for them. God, did this get me extra-bitter.

P.P.S. Have a nice weekend, everyone!

Only thing of gamespot's i'll be seeing is their numbers contributed to gamerankings.com. Why give them page views anymore?

[quote name='jer7583']Only thing of gamespot's i'll be seeing is their numbers contributed to gamerankings.com. Why give them page views anymore?[/QUOTE]

Same company that owns Gamespot owns Gamerankings. You'll be giving hits to Cnet either way.

Interesting, but regardless of the "truth" it's basically just another reminder to take those game industry reviews with a grain of salt and that actually playing the game is believing. I'm sure many people already know and practice this though.

My only question is how much all this Internet controversy going to affect GameSpot's readership. I'm guessing not much overall.

motivator4714386.jpg

motivator5958858.jpg
motivator4943547.jpg

That's because, uh, 8.8 is an outstanding score, particularly from them (and it'd most likely be a 9.0 since the scoring policy change), and Twilight Princess is kinda a bit more 'review-proof' than Eidos' piece of brooding-teen-pandering shit.

(But make no mistake, I still laughed a little.)

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it, the comparison to Zelda is potentially telling, as Gamespot's been known for its tougher standards and reviews for years, and with a game that big, it doesn't effect sales and drives up the 'drama factor', and consequently, the hits. So with the right caliber of title, Jeff was the perfect man for the job, but for whatever reason, he was put on a review that coulda/woulda/shoulda gone to a less-established staff member, i.e. a subservient bootlicker.

[quote name='whiptcracker']Same company that owns Gamespot owns Gamerankings. You'll be giving hits to Cnet either way.[/quote]

What about Rotten Tomatoes?

Mind you, I never really think to visit either site.

It's a hell of a coincidence if it is "false," but I suppose the benefit of a doubt is by all means in order.

If it is true, however, I think that the fact that the internet brings the public attention to the possible misjustice (and I can not fathom a human being who would consider PA's account (and Kotaku's) of the situation "just") is quite brilliant.

This whole ordeal reminds me of the latest CagCast talking about the expendibility of reviewers in general. Gamespot and IGN share some common ground in that folks come to their Web site to see reviews, not reviewers.

This looks to be another chapter in that story. Hopefully Jeff finds a better gig - one that won't bow to corporate profits in favor of credibility, if that's indeed the case.

Some interesting info may have appeared over at Valleywag:

We never know for sure if the commentards are who they claim to be. But one prodigious poster with the new account "gamespot" is telling what reads like a credible insider story of what happened to ex-CNET GameSpot reviewer Jeff Gerstmann, supposedly fired for low-scoring an advertiser's new game. "Gamespot"'s posts are in need of a 100-word-versioning, but it's Friday so forgettabout it here's the whole thing pasted in. I've bolded the newsy parts.

We're very clear in our review policies that all reviews are vetted by the entire team before they go live - everything that goes up is the product of an entire team's output. Our freelancers are especially guilty of making snide comments, but those are always yanked before the review goes live, because everyone in the office reads these reviews and makes sure they're up to our standards before they get put up.

If there was a problem with his reviews, then it would've been a problem with the entire team. Firing him without telling anyone implies that anyone else on this team can be fired at the drop of a hat as well, because none of us are writing any differently or meaner or less professionally than we were two years ago before the management changed. I'm sure management wants to spin this as the G-Man being unprofessional to take away from the egg on their face that results after a ten-year employee gets locked out of his office and told to leave the premises and then no one communicates anything to us about it until the next day.This management team has shown what they're willing to do. Jeff had ten years in and was fucking locked out of his office and told to leave the building.

What you might not be aware of is that GS is well known for appealing mostly to hardcore gamers. The mucky-mucks have been doing a lot of "brand research" over the last year or so and indicating that they want to reach out to more casual gamers. Our last executive editor, Greg Kasavin, left to go to EA, and he was replaced by a suit, Josh Larson, who had no editorial experience and was only involved on the business side of things. Over the last year there has been an increasing amount of pressure to allow the advertising teams to have more of a say in the editorial process; we've started having to give our sales team heads-ups when a game is getting a low score, for instance, so that they can let the advertisers know that before a review goes up. Other publishers have started giving us notes involving when our reviews can go up; if a game's getting a 9 or above, it can go up early; if not, it'll have to wait until after the game is on the shelves.

I was in the meeting where Josh Larson was trying to explain this firing and the guy had absolutely no response to any of the criticisms we were sending his way. He kept dodging the question, saying that there were "multiple instances of tone" in the reviews that he hadn't been happy about, but that wasn't Jeff's problem since we all vet every review. He also implied that "AAA" titles deserved more attention when they were being reviewed, which sounded to all of us that he was implying that they should get higher scores, especially since those titles are usually more highly advertised on our site.

I know that it's all about the money, and hey, I like money. I like advertising because it pays my salary. Unfortunately after Kasavin left the church-and-state separation between the sales teams and the editorial team has cracked, and with Jeff's firing I think it's clear that the management now has no interest at all in integrity and are instead looking for an editorial team that will be nicer to the advertisors.

When companies make games as downright contemptible as Kane and Lynch, they deserve to be called on it. I guess you'll have to go to Onion or a smaller site for objective reviews now, because everyone at GS now thinks that if they give a low score to a high-profile game, they'll be shitcanned. Everyone's fucking scared and we're all hoping to get Josh Larson removed from his position because no one trusts him anymore. If that doesn't happen then look for every game to be Game of the Year material at GameSpot.
http://valleywag.com/tech/jeff-gerstmann/gamespot-editor-on-fired-writer-328775.php

If anyone has been reading around some new articles poped up

Life at Gamespot

gerstmann100-463.jpg
We never know for sure if the commentards are who they claim to be. But one prodigious poster with the new account "gamespot" is telling what reads like a credible insider story -- it's written in editor-speak -- of what happened to ex-CNET GameSpot reviewer Jeff Gerstmann, supposedly fired for low-scoring an advertiser's new game. "Gamespot"'s posts are in need of a 100-word-versioning, but it's Friday so forgettabout it here's the whole thing pasted in. I've bolded the newsy parts.
We're very clear in our review policies that all reviews are vetted by the entire team before they go live - everything that goes up is the product of an entire team's output. Our freelancers are especially guilty of making snide comments, but those are always yanked before the review goes live, because everyone in the office reads these reviews and makes sure they're up to our standards before they get put up. If there was a problem with his reviews, then it would've been a problem with the entire team. Firing him without telling anyone implies that anyone else on this team can be fired at the drop of a hat as well, because none of us are writing any differently or meaner or less professionally than we were two years ago before the management changed. I'm sure management wants to spin this as the G-Man being unprofessional to take away from the egg on their face that results after a ten-year employee gets locked out of his office and told to leave the premises and then no one communicates anything to us about it until the next day.

gerstmanngun463.jpg

This management team has shown what they're willing to do. Jeff had ten years in and was fucking locked out of his office and told to leave the building. What you might not be aware of is that GS is well known for appealing mostly to hardcore gamers. The mucky-mucks have been doing a lot of "brand research" over the last year or so and indicating that they want to reach out to more casual gamers. Our last executive editor, Greg Kasavin, left to go to EA, and he was replaced by a suit, Josh Larson, who had no editorial experience and was only involved on the business side of things. Over the last year there has been an increasing amount of pressure to allow the advertising teams to have more of a say in the editorial process; we've started having to give our sales team heads-ups when a game is getting a low score, for instance, so that they can let the advertisers know that before a review goes up. Other publishers have started giving us notes involving when our reviews can go up; if a game's getting a 9 or above, it can go up early; if not, it'll have to wait until after the game is on the shelves.
I was in the meeting where Josh Larson was trying to explain this firing and the guy had absolutely no response to any of the criticisms we were sending his way. He kept dodging the question, saying that there were "multiple instances of tone" in the reviews that he hadn't been happy about, but that wasn't Jeff's problem since we all vet every review. He also implied that "AAA" titles deserved more attention when they were being reviewed, which sounded to all of us that he was implying that they should get higher scores, especially since those titles are usually more highly advertised on our site.
I know that it's all about the money, and hey, I like money. I like advertising because it pays my salary. Unfortunately after Kasavin left the church-and-state separation between the sales teams and the editorial team has cracked, and with Jeff's firing I think it's clear that the management now has no interest at all in integrity and are instead looking for an editorial team that will be nicer to the advertisors.
When companies make games as downright contemptible as Kane and Lynch, they deserve to be called on it. I guess you'll have to go to Onion or a smaller site for objective reviews now, because everyone at GS now thinks that if they give a low score to a high-profile game, they'll be shitcanned. Everyone's fucking scared and we're all hoping to get Josh Larson removed from his position because no one trusts him anymore. If that doesn't happen then look for every game to be Game of the Year material at GameSpot.
Jeffs statement
gerstmannresponds2.jpg

Edios reaction
Videogamers have been accusing CNET of shredding its editorial credibility by firing GameSpot editorial director Jeff Gerstmann after Eidos allegedly threatened to pull "hundreds of thousands of dollars in future advertising." That, of course, is conspiracy theory entirely typical of the blogosphere. Has anyone thought that Eidos has as much to lose as CNET here, with customers turning against the games studio over claims it muscled out a popular reviewer? We hear Eidos is "freaking out" over l'affaire Gerstmann; top management there, an insider says, sincerely believes they didn't prompt CNET to fire Gerstmann, but fears they'll get the blame anyway. Michelle Curran, Eidos's director of public relations, says, "Yeah, we're not commenting on that right now." That's all right, Michelle. If we were you, we wouldn't comment, either.

Why are we all only blaming GameSpot? Edios should be taking some blame, maybe even a bit more than Gamespot, for making such a crap game and trying to make it seem like it is amazing.

[quote name='help1']Why are we all only blaming GameSpot? Edios should be taking some blame, maybe even a bit more than Gamespot, for making such a crap game and trying to make it seem like it is amazing.[/quote]

You can blame Eidos for a crap game...but I find it hard to blame them, if it is the sole reason, for his firiring. On the big sites podcasts you hear all the time about game companies PR, bitching and moaning over reviews. It isn't out of the ordinary, it just this is the first we are hearing of a big site doing something about it.

The 1up show has talked quite a bit about game companies getting pissed at them, pulling ads from egm, pulling future cover stories, not sending review copies of certain games etc....I think mortal combat is one of the games that they either get very late, or have to go out and buy to review it.

[quote name='help1']Why are we all only blaming GameSpot? Edios should be taking some blame, maybe even a bit more than Gamespot, for making such a crap game and trying to make it seem like it is amazing.[/quote]

In my opinion, they shouldn't be blamed at all. To address your point, no company in their right mind would openly admit that a product they are trying to sell is not very good. If they want to sell a product, they make it seem appealing, no matter the actual quality of the product. That's how advertising works.

So what if Eidos got their panties in a knot over Jeff's review? Hell, for all I care, they have every right to. In the end, they don't have the authority to fire Jeff, to change the review of the game, or to decide which ads are run on Gamespot.

So there we go. Gamespot/CNet = bad guys.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Look a few posts up, F8X.[/quote]
I..Have...
2043-fail-camera.jpg
ed

[quote name='Duke Vandal'][quote name='help1']Why are we all only blaming GameSpot? Edios should be taking some blame, maybe even a bit more than Gamespot, for making such a crap game and trying to make it seem like it is amazing.[/quote]In my opinion, they shouldn't be blamed at all. To address your point, no company in their right mind would openly admit that a product they are trying to sell is not very good. If they want to sell a product, they make it seem appealing, no matter the actual quality of the product. That's how advertising works.

So what if Eidos got their panties in a knot over Jeff's review? Hell, for all I care, they have every right to. In the end, they don't have the authority to fire Jeff, to change the review of the game, or to decide which ads are run on Gamespot.

So there we go. Gamespot/CNet = bad guys.[/quote]

I have to agree with Duke on this one. I really feel that this was gamespots/cnets call on this one. Game companies try to bribe/blackmail reviewers all of the time its up to the company to not bow down to their demands.

Alex Navarro posted an interesting analogy in his blog today:

Remember SimCity? Remember what a joy it was to build up a fully functioning, living, breathing city, full of life and wonderment? Then, at some point down the road, after you've built up your city to the peak of its productiveness, you'd start mashing the disaster button and a wide variety of tornadoes, earthquakes, and fake Godzillas would come tromping through, laying firey waste to every bit of what you'd worked so painstakingly to create?

Yeah. It's a little bit like that. Except someone hit the disaster button for me.
:lol: :whistle2:(

Stolen from GAF

icfnadfvlej2.jpg

I also noticed that the Gamespot front page no longer features the soapbox, where users had little blog writings featured. Last night it was filled with angry posts about Gerstmann being forced out, now that whole box is gone. Interesting.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Stolen from GAF

icfnadfvlej2.jpg

I also noticed that the Gamespot front page no longer features the soapbox, where users had little blog writings featured. Last night it was filled with angry posts about Gerstmann being forced out, now that whole box is gone. Interesting.[/quote]

Gamespot is going to get trolled for a loooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnngggggg time.

[quote name='Duke Vandal']In my opinion, they shouldn't be blamed at all. To address your point, no company in their right mind would openly admit that a product they are trying to sell is not very good. If they want to sell a product, they make it seem appealing, no matter the actual quality of the product. That's how advertising works.
[/QUOTE]

You seem to be forgetting, that they should be blamed for creating such utter garbage in the first place.

NeoGAF is banning and filtering any mentions of CNET websites or Eidos games for the whole of 2008 I believe. For example, any link placed with www.gamespot.com gets changed to www.gameshit.com.

Pretty big deal when the largest gaming enthusiast forums takes such a stance against them. Eidos has to be shitting themselves right now.

[quote name='jer7583']NeoGAF is banning and filtering any mentions of CNET websites or Eidos games for the whole of 2008 I believe. For example, any link placed with www.gamespot.com gets changed to www.gameshit.com.

Pretty big deal when the largest gaming enthusiast forums takes such a stance against them. Eidos has to be shitting themselves right now.[/quote]
It would be pretty funnyy if CNET bought the gameshit.com domain.

lamespotub0.png

REALLY great post from one of the less known writers on GS, Matt Rorie

http://www.gamespot.com/users/MattRorie/

That video he linked I think pretty much sums up how everyone who works at GS and their fans feel http://www.gamespot.com/users/MattRorie/

A lot of the writers are GS are beginning to post little blurbs about the situation. Nothing specific of course, but they're interesting to read:

Kevin Van-Ord http://www.gamespot.com/users/Kevin-V/

Carrie Gouskos http://www.gamespot.com/users/Carrie/

Rich Gallup http://www.gamespot.com/users/richie-g

Alex Navarro has also posted, as previously mentioned in this thread. I'm personally waiting for Ryan Davis and Brad Shoemaker especially to comment. It would also be great to hear from Brian Eckberg, Aaron Thomas, Justin Calvert, Tor Thorsen and maybe even Greg Kasavin, who I saw was currently online when I visited his Gamespot homepage.

EDIT:

A new blog from Britany? IDK her last name but I think she's the community manager? And also the girl who's on Tournament TV? Could be wrong.
http://www.gamespot.com/users/Bethany/

Aaron Thomas just updated his blog as well http://www.gamespot.com/users/AaronThomas/

[quote name='Duke Vandal']In my opinion, they shouldn't be blamed at all. To address your point, no company in their right mind would openly admit that a product they are trying to sell is not very good. If they want to sell a product, they make it seem appealing, no matter the actual quality of the product. That's how advertising works.

So there we go. Gamespot/CNet = bad guys.[/quote]
I suppose, but really what you are saying is:

Eidos is doing what it has to do to make money.

I guess you can say that Gamespot did what it had to do to make money aswell, since GameSpot/CNET also is a company.

Anyway, it seems like no one important wants to be apart of CNET right now, CJayC left, Jeff left. Who is left?

Also, the .5 scale is retarded. The difference between a 8.5 and a 9.0 is quite signficant, seeing as a game could really be a 8.3 and get a 8.5 and really be a 9.2 and get a 9.0. The difference between a 8.3 and a 9.2 is soemtiems a deal breaker.

bread's done
Back