Journey: ThatGameCompany's new game

Hrrrm, I am torn about this, I feel like at $10 I'd buy but $15 seems sort of steep (I have never bought a PSN game at full price! :) ). That said, I am afraid if I wait too long the multiplayer aspect (Which everyone makes sound like the most rewarding part) will sort of die down, or be only people with tons of experience...

[quote name='Justin42']Hrrrm, I am torn about this, I feel like at $10 I'd buy but $15 seems sort of steep (I have never bought a PSN game at full price! :) ). That said, I am afraid if I wait too long the multiplayer aspect (Which everyone makes sound like the most rewarding part) will sort of die down, or be only people with tons of experience...[/QUOTE]

id say wait eventually it will go on sale or end up on plus and then those people who held out will be there to play with. its an ok game but for me its not like HOLY SHIT!!!!! the sand is much more impressive than what you see in uncharted 3.

Ok im kind of having a hard time figuring out what glyphs im missing. Because the game doesnt really list levels, or anything.

When i get to the part where you can skip to any level, there are little glphs to the right, exactly when you enter.

On the left side i have (X = have, O = Missing)
XXX
XXX
XOXO
XOO

Then across from those stones i see
XXOX
XXXX

Can someone tell me which level each row represents?

its annoying that you have to keep playing the intro part of the game over and over if you want to pick a different level to play. They couldnt start you out right at the part where you can choose a level? Unless im doing something wrong.

Its also annoying that when i want to reset to choose a different level, i have to bring up the XMB, quit game, then start it up again.

After one playthrough I have to say I'm rather disappointed in this game. The visuals are gorgeous, but I feel like it's the least interesting of the three TGC games. Good, but not great.

here is a photo of my character. Ive beaten the game 3 times and collected all glyphs and symbols. I am going to go through the game again to see if it changes anymore.

dcp3843.jpg

Just finished it in about 1 hour 10 minutes. I was using the white robe though, that replenishes your scarf so it probably made it faster than normal. But i didnt see any changes to my character from the picture i posted above.

Overall, after beating it four times, i think its a good game. I kind of like how you can complete the whole journey in less than 2 hours. The music and visuals are what make this game nice though.

My only complaint i think, is that i wish you could play co-op on the same ps3, or with someone on your friends list. I still havent gotten the trophy for beating the game and having 1 person with most of the way. I usually have at least 8+ different people. I dont know if its that they lose connection, or i get paired up with someone else after each chapter or what.

[quote name='The 7th Number']
My only complaint i think, is that i wish you could play co-op on the same ps3, or with someone on your friends list. I still havent gotten the trophy for beating the game and having 1 person with most of the way. I usually have at least 8+ different people. I dont know if its that they lose connection, or i get paired up with someone else after each chapter or what.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I understand and admire the intent of the game, but it would be nice if you could unlock friend list co-op, maybe after 10 playthroughs or something.

So I bought this tonight and played though it. Overall, I'm pretty damn impressed.

- Co-op is something I didn't think I'd enjoy, but man there was this weird unity thing that happened with it. It really felt like me and my partner were moving and doing things at the same time a lot of the time.
- The story is pretty basic IMO, but at least it doesn't beat you over the head with it
The rise and fall of man because of war and technology and the endless cycle therein.
It felt well integrated at least.
- The atmosphere was pretty good, but overall the music was unmemorable.

I want to get the White Robe and all of the Trophies, so it'll take me at least one more playthrough. Now if I could only find the place where it tells me I can find my jewels and a subsequent video showing me their locations.

So, the big question: Is it worth $15? I'm going to say yes, but it's a really tough call due to the length. The quality is definitely up there, but I think most people would be comfortable paying $10 for it.

Nope. I had 4 partners on my last Journey and lost my last partner on the final part.

EDIT: Went back and played it for...and hour or so more and I now have all of the Trophies. Luckily I got Companion by picking someone up at the beginning of Snow :p

I'd give the game a 9 out of 10. Length is kind of an issue, but co-op is really well done and you really feel sad when your partner leaves. Also Unskippable Cutscenes are a bit of a pain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't have anything negative to say about my experience. Wonderful game.

Most impressive thing about it was the inability to get lost. There are so many points where you could take a wrong turn, especially during the walking segments, but whatever direction I chose I always wound up at the next objective. And for whatever reason, the game never entices you into wanting to act like a prick, as in, looking for ways to break the game. I never wanted to explore or goof around, or mess with the environment, I just went on the linear path because it was actually well made.

A shame though, because I don't think the game is hugely accessible to non-gamers. It's one of those games you'd want to hand to an elderly person, but I really think it's far too deeply rooted in video game nuances to be appreciated by anyone other than a gamer.

I started playing again to pick up the trophies I missed the first couple rounds. Really didn't want to look up where the last glowing symbols but there was one that I couldn't find, even though I knew which section of the level it was supposed to be by the indicators on the level complete statue. Unfortunately nobody in co-op led me to it either so I broke down and checked a guide.

For the flower in the desert I was lucky enough to be wandering when a new co-op partner entered right where it was. I was grateful enough to show him/her the other secrets along the way as we played through the rest of the game. Then right before the end of the game he/she drew a heart in the snow for me (aww :)).

After my fifth playthrough I felt that I was still finding new stuff about the game. On this last playthrough it was totally relaxing because I'd already found all the "secrets" and could just experience the game calmly. Despite the short length of the game, I put in quite a few hours and feel extremely satisfied with making it one of my rare day one purchases.

Well, almost a year later I finally got around to playing the CE version today and what a treat. I was shocked how active it still is as I had a partner for every level, eight in all after the credits rolled (mostly because PSN disconnected me twice -_-). I really dug how you could feed off each other's energy for some air acrobatics or juggling each other to reach a platform with a glyph/symbol. From the art to the minimalist story/gameplay, it's just a masterpiece in imagination.

Truly a game to pick up when you're feeling down, because it warms the heart.

I was playing on the 19th as well. I had someone in every level. Finally got the meditation trophy; for me everybody would runoff when I pressed select and sat down for this trophy. I only have one trophy remaining: meet 10+ players.

I played Flower and did not like it. I was bored. I heard Flow had even less "gameplay". Would I enjoy Journey? Does it have substantial gameplay or is supposed to be more of an experience?

[quote name='J7.']I played Flower and did not like it. I was bored. I heard Flow had even less "gameplay". Would I enjoy Journey? Does it have substantial gameplay or is supposed to be more of an experience?[/QUOTE]

It is very much an experience. Theres more to it than Flower or Flow, but dont expect gameplay to be the central focus of why that game received the praise it did.

[quote name='J7.']I played Flower and did not like it. I was bored. I heard Flow had even less "gameplay". Would I enjoy Journey? Does it have substantial gameplay or is supposed to be more of an experience?[/QUOTE]
It's an experiment in social interaction. I'd liken it to Demon's Souls (hear me out) in the fact that communication is minimal yet the goal is understood. It's heavy on symbolism and somewhat of a spiritual quest, so very much an experience. You will beat it in under four hours as well, but replay value is high due to the randomness of online experiences.

[quote name='J7.']Does it have any actual gameplay? More than say moving the character around with the analog stick?[/QUOTE]
You can chirp tunes to your partner. :lol:

But seriously, there's some puzzle solving and you can learn to air juggle each other for exploration. Not much else to the game except the ride.

Unless they definitely lowered the price "fl0w" is a ripoff. I liked that game but I think I paid $8-11 with the expansion and still felt it was overpriced.
I haven't played "Flower" or "Journey" but have wanted to play the latter after seeing it in action.

[quote name='Jodou']You can chirp tunes to your partner. :lol:

But seriously, there's some puzzle solving and you can learn to air juggle each other for exploration. Not much else to the game except the ride.[/QUOTE]

I take it that air juggling is non-intentional on the developer's part. Not sure I want to play it then. Can you compare the gameplay to any other game?

[quote name='J7.']I take it that air juggling is non-intentional on the developer's part. Not sure I want to play it then. Can you compare the gameplay to any other game?[/QUOTE]

It seemed intentional to me. The more you work with your partner, the easier the Journey is.

I can't compare it to any other game, it is very unique and fun experience. The game mechanics are simple, but elegant. You can collect words/symbols to upgrade your scarf. Plus find all the wall paintings and you'll get a new robe. In my opinion, the game is meant to be played through in 1 sitting. Shouldn't take more than 2 hours. And to be played more than once (for fun, not higher difficulty level bullshit). There is a hub-area where you can level/area-select after beating the game, or make a whole new journey.

Simply put, you wander a desert, trying to climb a mountain. You can jump, float, revive/ride carpets a short distance, chirp to signal/beckon partner, recharge scarf. There is a danger element you'll find while playing the game, and it genuinely feels tense. The game is short. My best recommendation is watch a 5 minutes youtube clip to get a basic idea, but that won't convey the beauty imo. Soundtrack is amazing and won some awards.

The Journey CE on disk version comes with Flower+Flow, Soundtracks, and a few other extras. Very nice deal if find on sale at $15, MSRP is $30 I think. But retailers have better sales than digital, so it should go on sale again.

[quote name='Kazaganthi']It seemed intentional to me. The more you work with your partner, the easier the Journey is.

I can't compare it to any other game, it is very unique and fun experience. The game mechanics are simple, but elegant. You can collect words/symbols to upgrade your scarf. Plus find all the wall paintings and you'll get a new robe. In my opinion, the game is meant to be played through in 1 sitting. Shouldn't take more than 2 hours. And to be played more than once (for fun, not higher difficulty level bullshit). There is a hub-area where you can level/area-select after beating the game, or make a whole new journey.

Simply put, you wander a desert, trying to climb a mountain. You can jump, float, revive/ride carpets a short distance, chirp to signal/beckon partner, recharge scarf. There is a danger element you'll find while playing the game, and it genuinely feels tense. The game is short. My best recommendation is watch a 5 minutes youtube clip to get a basic idea, but that won't convey the beauty imo. Soundtrack is amazing and won some awards.

The Journey CE on disk version comes with Flower+Flow, Soundtracks, and a few other extras. Very nice deal if find on sale at $15, MSRP is $30 I think. But retailers have better sales than digital, so it should go on sale again.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. I'll play it someday when it is on sale.

bread's done
Back