JRPG suggestions

dropbearGSH

CAGiversary!
I was thinking about picking up a jrpg and I am currently leaning towards Star Ocean. I haven't really played a jrpg in a while (since FFXII). I did rent Lost Odyssey, but it didn't do it for me. Anyone have any suggestions?

l second Tales of Vesperia. Currently playing it and I'm having a hard time putting it down. Just had a price drop as well.

I've played a limited amount, but Vesperia certainly seems like the way to go. Eternal Sonata was also pretty fun.

Lost Odyssey is the only RPG I bothered finishing this console generation.
I didn't like Star Ocean and I got bored of Tales of Vesperia maybe half way through.

Lost Odyssey was challenging and had interesting characters/story.

Edit: Forgot, I did finish Eternal Sonata as well. The story was only ok, but the gameplay was pretty fun.

I second Eternal Sonata's as a good choice, for its gameplay and not its story. The story is borderline pretentious, non-sensical, and outright confusing at parts, and the ending was just a mess and a joke, imho.

Rent/borrow it, and see if you like it.

I absolutely loved Lost Odyssey and suggest you give it a second try. I'm playing blue Dragon right now and I like it. Both are very traditional, but I like that. Tales is great, too.

I may be nuts, but I liked Infinite Undiscovery, too. A lot of people didn't though.

Personally, I hated Star Ocean. The battles were fun enough, but felt like button mashing. Plus the story was horrid, even by cliche'd JRPG standards.

My problem with lost odyssey was that navigating the world felt like a ps1 FF game, but I liked the story as far as I got. Also it seemed like a FF game that left out the best parts: the summons and the overdrive attacks. I didn't play it for long so maybe I just didn't get far enough.

I will probably go pick up vesperia tomorrow, thanks for the suggestions.

If I could type Tales of Vesperia in all caps I would. Plus it's dropped to $30 now.

After Tales try Lost Odyssey. After that, your choice of Eternal Sonata or Star Ocean.

Blue Dragon, Last Remnant, Star Ocean 4, and Infinite Undiscovery are decent rpgs too, but nothing epic.

[quote name='decrot']Vesperia is best but thats not saying much. for some reason, Jrpgs suck this gen, especially on 360[/QUOTE]

Well I think Tales of Vesperia would be among the best non-FF JRPG's ever and Lost Odyssey and Eternal Sonata are just as good as anything on PS1/2 but to each their own.

[quote name='decrot']for some reason, Jrpgs suck this gen, especially on 360[/QUOTE]

Probably because there hasn't been a Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest yet. I just started Tales of Vesperia (I waited for the price drop) but I'm liking it so far.

bread's done
Back