Judge my Craigslist Ad

Wolfkin

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
So I'm getting grief from my sisters about my ad.. just checking to see whose going crazy me or them. Does anything in this ad look particularly uncompelling?

Be sure to click the pictures to see them full size. E-mail or call to arrange pick-up (416-XXX-XXXX) house phone so no text sorry.
There is parking close to the elevator but I do live on the 16th floor so you will have to be able to carry it down one flight of stairs.
Price is $50 or best offer

View Larger Map

yeah i kinda wanted to put 30... it has no inputs. I'll probably drop it down this evening. for the record if someone offered me $15 I'd happily take it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't take it to the dump, recycle it. Don't those old CRTs have some gases in them that are poisonous? You could always donate it to Goodwill or something too. Doubt you'll find any buyers for it. The lack of inputs is a real killer.

Not to pile on, but...

Does anything in this ad look particularly uncompelling?

$30 for a non-flat-screen, coaxial-input-only, RCA CRT? Pretty much all of it.

Realistically, the only CRTs that seem to sell on Craigslist - around me, anyways - are newer Sony flat-screen units. Most everything else - even 32 inchers from time to time - are usually listed as free and are, more than likely, scooped up by scrappers. Any ads with a price either rot for months or disappear unusually quickly, probably flagged off.

The manufacture date says it was made in October of 1999. Unfortunately, that TV was pretty much obsolete as soon as it rolled off the manufacuturing line.

Your best bet (for personal gain) at this point is to lug it to a yard sale/flea market and hope to sell it there - expect offers of $5-10 - or, if you can, donate it to a charity or thrift store and take a tax writeoff.

Otherwise, recycle it or plop it on the curb and post a 'curb alert' on CL - it'll disappear right quick.

[quote name='lmz00']I thought people who still played "retro" games liked those.[/QUOTE]
This. For some reason, it just doesn't feel right playing older games on an LCD.

thanks for the input. all of your comments while valid were nothing I hadn't anticipated and honestly probably agree with. The issue my sister took with the ad was the pictures. Her complaints were 1) I took a picture with a bed in the background and 2) the last picture looks like the TV doesn't work.

I've seen terrible terrible pictures on craigslist. I thought mine were pretty far from tacky considering the amount of "pet on item" pictures I've seen. That's the real reason I posted this thread to see if anyone else thought my pictures were bad. I didn't mention the pictures and in over 300 views noone else felt compelled to tell me the pictures are bad so that actually answers the only thing I was unsure of. The last picture is fuzzy picture yeah but it's OTA signal cause I don't have cable plugged in. It would be a pain to unplug my actual TV. I thought the pictures were fine and did a good job of showing the item in question. Of course the appeal of the item in question is probably pretty low but that's a different thread.

[quote name='lmz00']I thought people who still played "retro" games liked those.[/QUOTE]
on a TV this old? what can you play with just coax input?

Edit oh i guess maybe NES didn't have RCA... but still wanting CRT screens is one thing but such a limited one.. oh well people do crazier things like buy one game just to get access to a beta.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Wolfkin']
on a TV this old? what can you play with just coax input?

[/QUOTE]
With an RF Modulator, you can play just about anything.

[quote name='lmz00']Oh, my bad. I didn't look at the picture to see what inputs it had.[/QUOTE]yeah no problem like i said i deliberately didn't mention the pictures and while people had stuff to say about the ad no one said anything about the pictures which proves my point. thanks yall.

[quote name='ROB64']With an RF Modulator, you can play just about anything.[/QUOTE]I really want to say "but seriously who would still have an RF modulator" then I remember I am trying to unload this TV.

Don't feel bad about having an old ass CRT. My parents just got rid of a 27" Panasonic CRT that's about 20 years old or so (at least 15, from my guesses), and only because I bought them a 32" Vizio LCD for Christmas. They still have an old CRT in their bedroom, that I've been trying to convince them for months to upgrade. Their philosophy is if it works, why replace it?

I don't think it really matters what is in the picture. As long as the TV works, that's really what matters.

[quote name='ROB64']This. For some reason, it just doesn't feel right playing older games on an LCD.[/QUOTE]
I agree. I'm using an old CRT for my always-a-work-in-progress MAME cabinet. Besides that, I didn't want to spend a lot of money on an LCD flat panel for it.

bread's done
Back