Features/Previews

:360: Splinter Cell: Conviction
:ps3::360: Need for Speed: Pro Street
:ps3::360: Alone in the Dark
:wii: No More Heroes
:ps3::360: GTA IV
:360: Bioshock

Rumor Mill

-A new publisher is preppin' a 300 game for the PS3 and Xbox 360.

-I gotta believe PaRappa the Rapper 3 for the PS3 is real.

-Silent Hill 5 is coming to the PS3 and 360 next year. The frightening thing: The Japanese team behind the series is handing the reins over to a new Yankee development team. (confirmed?)

-Expect to hear official announcements about a new Midnight Club, Bully, and Red Dead Revolver sometime soon.

-EA is looking to snatch up the MLB and NBA licenses to complement its current NFL exclusivity.

-Nintendo's looking to upgrade its role-playing fare with the purchase of Monolith Soft (Xenosaga) by putting them to work on a Final Fantasy killer.

-Sega is making Condemned 2. (confirmed)

Review Scores

:360::ps3: Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End - 6, 4, 5.5
:360::ps3: Spider-Man 3 - 5, 7.5, 6.5

:wii: Resident Evil 4 - 8, 9, 9
:wii: Escape From Bug Island - 2, 1.5, 4.5 - Shame of the Month

:ps3: Ninja Gaiden Sigma - 9, 9, 8

:360: Wartech: Senko no Ronde - 4, 5, 4

:ps2: Tomb Raider Anniversary - 8.5, 8.5, 8
:ps2: Grim-Grimoire - 6, 6, 7
:ps2: Odin Sphere - 8.5, 9.5, 9 - Game of the Month

:ds: Sim City DS - 6.5, 6.5, 6
:ds: Pokemon Diamond/Pearl - 8.5, 9, 8.5

:psp: Final fantasy - 7, 5, 8
:psp: PQ2: Practical Intelligence Quotient - 9.5, 7.5, 9
:psp: Innocent Life: A Futuristic Harvest Moon - 6.5, 6, 5

Reviews Wrap-up

:360::ps3: The Darkness - Needs tighter controls before it's done. Review next issue.
:360: Shadowrun - If you can learn the intracacies (harder than you may think), you'll love it. Review next month.
:360: Tenchu Z - It was a good time to rebuild the series from the ground up, too bad the Tenchu guys didn't realize that.
:ds: Cookie & Cream - Controls are complex (touch screen + shoulder buttons simultaneously), but not as much as it was on the PS2. Co-op and multiplayer are fun for a bit.

If you have any questions about any of the reviews, ask and I'll do my best to answer.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Rumor Mill

-Expect to hear official announcements about a new Midnight Club, Bully, and Red Dead Revolver sometime soon.

[/QUOTE]

Nice!

[quote name='schuerm26']What do they say about RE4 controls?[/quote]
Milkman (8): "And even if you're a vet of the GC and PS2 outings, this Wii-make offers something new: RE4 action mapped to near-first-person-shooter-style controls. But moving your character with the Nunchuck's analog stick doesn't aim, it only moves your field of view, with enemies often out of view unless you wave the Remote around , holding B while pressing A to shoot. Essentially, it more complicated than it sounds, which saps some of the fun out of it."

Mark (9): "Though they suffer a bit when things get hectic, the Wii-mote-enabled controls generally serve RE4 well: Aiming weapons, swiping your knife, and shaking off face-sucking nasties with real-world moves adds urgency to an already incredibly intense experience."

Michael (9): "In fact, I actually found the Wii's point-and-shoot controls made gunning down Ganados a helluva lot easier than before...maybe too easy--I breezed through tough parts that originally pissed me off in the previous versions."

if EA snatches up the MLB and NBA licenses, I well NEVER buy an EA product EVER again.

they screwed up the NFL with wattering it down with a rehash of madden every year, and if I'm forced to play ncaa march madness and the oh so shitty nba live for the next 10 years, I'm going to be pissed.

and don't even get me started about how MLB the show is 10000000000 times better than every other MLB game that's come out.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']does anyone have the text for PQ2? the score seems crazy for a game like that, but I'm now intrigued. Also, 300 was inevitable.[/quote]
The two that gave it a 9.5 and 9 (Joe Rybicki and Todd Zuniga) call it one of the best cerebral puzzle games around and the other guy (Greg Sewart) doesn't really get it, maybe for a reason. ;) They all mention the nearly unlimited replay value as a result of the online swapping of user-created levels as a great thing if a good community pops up around the game.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The two that gave it a 9.5 and 9 (Joe Rybicki and Todd Zuniga) call it one of the best cerebral puzzle games around and the other guy (Greg Sewart) doesn't really get it, maybe for a reason. ;) They all mention the nearly unlimited replay value as a result of the online swapping of user-created levels as a great thing if a good community pops up around the game.[/QUOTE]

hmm... sounds good. I don't like cerebral games too much, but PQ1 caught my eye and this may be the one to get.

Tenchu Z - It was a good time to rebuild the series from the ground up, too bad the Tenchu guys didn't realize that.

seems like people have been saying this for the past few Tenchu games.

good to see the good score for NGS. I'm sure there will be lots of 8s for the re-re-release. despite it being on a different platform.

shocking PQ score. i couldn't get in to the first one (wish they'd make another IQ!)

-Silent Hill 5 is coming to the PS3 and 360 next year. The frightening thing: The Japanese team behind the first four games is handing the reins over to a new Yankee development team. (confirmed)

1) The team behind SH4 was a completly different team than the guys behind 1-3.

2) This news is quite possibly the most disturbing piece of VG information that I've heard in the last decade.

3) Where the hell was this confirmed. It's not like I don't believe you, but I really have to see this for myself.

[quote name='whoknows']Nice Tomb Raider scores. Definitely getting at release, especially for $20.[/QUOTE]

It's $29.99.

[quote name='whoknows']On sale at Best Buy for $20 when it comes out.[/QUOTE]

Oh wow, I was actually going to pay retail when it hits, thanks for pointing that out.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']1) The team behind SH4 was a completly different team than the guys behind 1-3.

2) This news is quite possibly the most disturbing piece of VG information that I've heard in the last decade.

3) Where the hell was this confirmed. It's not like I don't believe you, but I really have to see this for myself.[/quote]
Didn't know the first one, so I've amended it to be closer to the what the rumor says. I added a link about it being confirmed, though it's not quite as confirmed as I first thought.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']It's $29.99.[/quote]
It's $20 next week.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Didn't know the first one, so I've amended it to be closer to the what the rumor says. I added a link about it being confirmed, though it's not quite as confirmed as I first thought.

It's $20 next week.[/QUOTE]

Iirc, SH4 wasn't even meant to be SH4 until a significant way through the dev process.

I wonder which Tomb Raider: Anniversary will end up looking better: the upscaled PS2 version running on the PS3 or the announced Wii version?

[quote name='pete5883']If anyone can do it, MonolithSoft can. As long as they don't use the Xeno III battle system.[/quote]It's not like it's an impossible thing to do, unless you're talking sales. Cause RPGs based on new IPs don't sell. Though since it'd be Nintendo-published, it might do alright.

HOLY SHIT!

This is going to be one awesome issue.

No More Heroes, GTA IV, Alone in the Dark, Splinter Cell conviction previews, and all those rumors!

Damn.

I really hope that the Parappa, and 300 rumors are true. I want!

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']Nope, just the PS2, PSP and the Wii.[/quote]

Hmm... I wonder why... Even at $20 I think I'll pass. I enjoyed Legend but that's enough TR for me for a while.

I might just wait for the Wii version and see how that plays. If it's bad then I can always get the PS2 version later.

A Midnight Club sequel has already been confirmed.

I would be shocked if we saw a Bully sequel, especially since Rockstar said previously that sales were poor for the game, and they weren't planning on doing a sequel.

[quote name='rodeojones903']Monolith Soft make a Final Fantasy Killer?!?!

:rofl:[/QUOTE]

It's even funnier because Square-Enix pretty much killed FF already!:lol:

I'm surprised by Odin Sphere getting GotM... you don't see such niche games getting scores like this.

I've really been looking forward to Grim Grimoire. Do they give one specific reason for the mediocre scores? or are their a number of issues?

Wow. fuck EA if they actually make the deals to get the NBA and MLB licenses. I'm not as rash as others in saying that I'll never buy an EA game again, I WILL however say that I will never buy a EA Sports game again. It's complete bullshit. Live sucks beyond belief now, and they don't even try with Madden or NCAA. This is just horseshit. Like others have said, The Show is SO much better than anything else, and MLB 2k is still a competent series. NBA 2k became a MUCH better series than Live back starting back in 2001 and has been ever since. Anyone else think lawsuits could come up if EA manages to get their way?

Sigh.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Wow. fuck EA if they actually make the deals to get the NBA and MLB licenses. I'm not as rash as others in saying that I'll never buy an EA game again, I WILL however say that I will never buy a EA Sports game again. It's complete bullshit. Live sucks beyond belief now, and they don't even try with Madden or NCAA. This is just horseshit. Like others have said, The Show is SO much better than anything else, and MLB 2k is still a competent series. NBA 2k became a MUCH better series than Live back starting back in 2001 and has been ever since. Anyone else think lawsuits could come up if EA manages to get their way?

Sigh.[/QUOTE]

If it happens, the MLB and NBA are just as much at fault as EA for letting their licenses be sold to one publisher.

It's not like EA is strong arming the MLB into making the license exclusive... MLB is probably selling it to the highest bidder, EA has enough money, done deal.

I'd blame MLB and the NBA more than anything if this goes through, for setting this up in the first place.

Sales for Madden are just as strong as ever so it's obvious that having the license just go to one publisher isn't going to hurt anything, which is probably NBA and MLB's reasoning behind this is.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Milkman (8): "And even if you're a vet of the GC and PS2 outings, this Wii-make offers something new: RE4 action mapped to near-first-person-shooter-style controls. But moving your character with the Nunchuck's analog stick doesn't aim, it only moves your field of view, with enemies often out of view unless you wave the Remote around , holding B while pressing A to shoot. Essentially, it more complicated than it sounds, which saps some of the fun out of it."

Mark (9): "Though they suffer a bit when things get hectic, the Wii-mote-enabled controls generally serve RE4 well: Aiming weapons, swiping your knife, and shaking off face-sucking nasties with real-world moves adds urgency to an already incredibly intense experience."

Michael (9): "In fact, I actually found the Wii's point-and-shoot controls made gunning down Ganados a helluva lot easier than before...maybe too easy--I breezed through tough parts that originally pissed me off in the previous versions."[/quote]

I'm in!

[quote name='javeryh']Hmm... I wonder why... Even at $20 I think I'll pass. I enjoyed Legend but that's enough TR for me for a while.[/quote]
Easy porting and cheap development costs.

[quote name='SpreadTheWord']1. Who gave Bug Island a 4.5?

2. Why no love for Sim City DS? I've been looking forward to that game for months.[/quote]
1. Andrew Fitch. He admits that he likes Japanese spoofs of cheezy American action/horror flicks, which is what the game reminds him of.

2. They mostly mention that your city and building are so small on the screen, even for a DS game, and because of that, stylus control is trial-and-error as a result. They say it's not bad, but it's not really a great fit for the DS. They also mention only being able to save one city at a time.

[quote name='dragonreborn23']I've really been looking forward to Grim Grimoire. Do they give one specific reason for the mediocre scores? or are their a number of issues?[/quote]
They mostly mention that it's not a compelling RTS experience and that the gameplay is super repetitive. The controls are cumbersome and there's no multiplayer. Looks very nice though.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Wow. fuck EA if they actually make the deals to get the NBA and MLB licenses. I'm not as rash as others in saying that I'll never buy an EA game again, I WILL however say that I will never buy a EA Sports game again. It's complete bullshit. Live sucks beyond belief now, and they don't even try with Madden or NCAA. This is just horseshit. Like others have said, The Show is SO much better than anything else, and MLB 2k is still a competent series. NBA 2k became a MUCH better series than Live back starting back in 2001 and has been ever since. Anyone else think lawsuits could come up if EA manages to get their way?

Sigh.[/quote]
MVP has much better gameplay, but MLB has the better features (career, online leagues, etc.). I'd love to see 2K lose their exclusivity of the MLB license. I couldn't care less about the NBA license, as neither game has been compelling for several years, but I'd be surprised if they NBA already gave up on their licensing agreements that they made last year.

[quote name='munch']What did they say about No More Heroes? That games on my watch list.[/quote]
It's mainly about what the game isn't, as he says it's definitely not a mini-game collection (calls the current Japanese Wii game concepts in development boring and unoriginal); It's not Killer 7 over again (has wide-open levels, a more understandable/relatable story, and there might be on-bike battles, but you won't run into enemies while riding the bike around (I guess he means without bikes of their own); And it's definitely not Red Steel all over again, as it'll have a better camera (to make it easier to know how to fight), make it more challenging/rewarding (mentions having some wrestling-style finishers with the nunchuck) swordplay, and that's it's a far more brutal, visceral approach to sword combat. There are also some new screen, what it says are new (I wouldn't know), but I see one that shows off the wide-open areas and some combat screens.

Expect to hear official announcements about a new Midnight Club, Bully, and Red Dead Revolver sometime soon.

Thanks. GOD.

A Midnight Club sequel has been confirmed, but the other two (Bully and Red Dead Revolver) are amazing news.

I remember the Red Dead Revolver teaser that Sony used for a PS3 montage, like, three or four years ago. Ever since then, I wondered what the fuck happened to it.

[quote name='Brak']Thanks. GOD.

A Midnight Club sequel has been confirmed, but the other two (Bully and Red Dead Revolver) are amazing news.

I remember the Red Dead Revolver teaser that Sony used for a PS3 montage, like, three or four years ago. Ever since then, I wondered what the fuck happened to it.[/quote]
Yeah, I keep seeing that when looking for those games that haven't been shown by Sony since 2005 and always see the Untitled Rockstar Western Shooter.

The MVP series is the only good baseball series out there right now... The only problem with exclustivity is that it might not encourage EA to innovate, which we all know Madden is doing right now :roll: But at least MVP would gain the MLB license again.

bread's done
Back