just bought "a" used PS2! yes! (come learn the use of "a" and "an" in this thread!)

mackaikai

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
just bought a phat PS2 off Anandtech with a lot of RPGs...the only reason I bought a PS2 again (sold my import PS2 to my cousin 1 year ago) is to play Taiko Drum Masters (PS3 doesn't have the old controller ports!!!)

phat PS2 with:

2 Brand New Controllers + Extension cables
2 Brand New Wireless Controllers (They are good unless you play tekken type games, then aren't quite as accurate as the wired ones for special moves)
2 PS2 Memory Cards (Sony)
2 PS1 Memory Cards

Games:

Devil May Cry
Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers
SSX 3
Tekken 4
Tekken 5
Xenosaga
Final Fantasy Chronicles
Final Fantasy VII (2 Copies since some discs do not work 100%, but with both copies you will be fine)
Final Fantasy VIII (2 Copies...same reason as above...stupid gamestop used games =/)
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2

for 150 shipped......and then I went to Kmart today and saw PStwo for 129.99 !!! GRRRRRRR!

I know I won't have time to play all those RPG games since I also have a 360..

anyway, besides RPGs, what games are MUST-GET on PS2? i've been out of PS2 platform for too long and I need some game recommendations!

[quote name='SMMM']just bought an used PS2! yes!

Just thought I'd be the first in the grammar parade to point it out.[/quote]

eh? which is correct? a used or an used?

Edit: Ignore my nonsense below.

You only use "an" when the following word is a noun that starts with a vowel.

"I bought a monkey"
"I sat on an orangutan "
"I cuddled with a ugly hippo"

MORE IMPORTANTLY!

As for games to get, be sure to pick up
RE4 (if you don't have a GC)
Katamari Damacy.
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence

Also refer to this (GameRanking - Do an advance search for Top 50 PS2 games of all times across all genres):
http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/simpleratings.asp

[quote name='Ecofreak']You only use "an" when the following word is a noun.

"I bought a monkey"
"I sat on an orangutan "
"I cuddled with a ugly hippo"[/quote]

actually that's wrong...i just checked grammar resource:

"A" goes before all words that begin with consonants.

• a cat
  • a dog
  • a purple onion
  • a buffalo
  • a big apple
with one exception: Use an before unsounded h.
  • an honorable peace
  • an honest error
"An" goes before all words that begin with vowels:

• an apricot
  • an egg
  • an Indian
  • an orbit
  • an uprising
with two exceptions: When u makes the same sound as the y in you, or o makes the same sound as w in won, then a is used.
  • a union
  • a united front
  • a unicorn
  • a used napkin
  • a U.S. ship
  • a one-legged man
borrowed from purdue.edu website: http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/esl/esliart.html

but you are still right! i should use "a" before used

[quote name='Ecofreak']You only use "an" when the following word is a noun.

"I bought a monkey"
"I sat on an orangutan "
"I cuddled with a ugly hippo"[/QUOTE]

Is that right? I always thought it was it the word began w/ a vowel sound is should be "an"

"I cuddled with an ugly hippo" sound more right to me

[quote name='phatbunbao']Is that right? I always thought it was it the word began w/ a vowel sound is should be "an"

"I cuddled with an ugly hippo" sound more right to me[/quote]

according to that Purdue site, it should be "an ugly hippo"

Wow, I take most everything back.

Ah, the many rules of English. Glad I'm an engineer and speak in mostly math and code. ;)

Although really, I'm 22 and a Master's student. I really should have mastered such a basic rule. Glad my employer isn't reading this thread...

[quote name='mackaikai']i do have a GC, is there a reason that I should get GC version over PS2 version? PS2 version is easier to find i think[/QUOTE]

If you're a hard core fan then pick it up. Otherwise, the bonuses (new guns, Separate Ways, additional costumes) may not be worth the extra scratch. Save it for new games.

Also add to the list:
ICO
Shadow of the Colossus
Ratchet and Clank Series (Esp "Up your Arsenal")

maybe I need to head to my local Sears to pick that ICO up....i saw it the other day but the cover turned me away..so ugly, lol

[quote name='mackaikai']maybe I need to head to my local Sears to pick that ICO up....i saw it the other day but the cover turned me away..so ugly, lol[/QUOTE]

Don't judge a book by it's cover, my friend.

If you like RPGs(I know you stated besides) Disgaea, La Puchelle and Phantom Brave are good. Burnout 3 and 4 are both awesome games. I like 4 more than 3 just because of the same way crashes and Traffic Attack mode. Dynasty Warriors is a blast. Mortal Kombat is getting a good title soon with every character in MK history. God of War just dropped to $20 and that is a fun game.

pstwo for 129.99 at kmart??? do they have an ad or is this in store only??

i just bought a pstwo from EB new...149.99....cause my damn roommate stepped on my old one and busted it

getting 20 bucks back would be great, PM me info or just drop it in this thread!!

thankss!!

[quote name='blackjaw']pstwo for 129.99 at kmart??? do they have an ad or is this in store only??

i just bought a pstwo from EB new...149.99....cause my damn roommate stepped on my old one and busted it

getting 20 bucks back would be great, PM me info or just drop it in this thread!!

thankss!![/quote]
i saw it in-store.. i am not sure if it's in any ad

i just read some review on GT4, looks like i NEED to get one..the graphic looks even better than RR6 on my 360!

update: i checked the ad and it still says 149.99, but i'm 100% sure it's 129.99 at my local Kmart (Waukegan, IL) someone in the hot deal forum said he heard a rumor for price drop in Gamestop too...so there is probably an universal price drop in the near future and my local Kmart premature ejaculated, lol

GT4 running in 1080i with component cables is stunning. Its hard to believe that the PS2 could push those kind of graphics.

[quote name='gofishn']GT4 running in 1080i with component cables is stunning. Its hard to believe that the PS2 could push those kind of graphics.[/QUOTE]

i thought it only went up to 420p....

[quote name='Apossum']i thought it only went up to 420p....[/QUOTE]
Nope. 1080i. Just keep your eyes focused on the cars and foreground less you want to be blinded by jaggies;)

I remember hearing somewhere that you could do 1080i in GT4... maybe it was just in the photo mode or something, but it definitely sounds familiar.

It is 1080i, you just have to switch to it in the options menu and must have component cables. As far as I know it's the only PS2 game that does 1080i, several others support 480p and they look pretty good in their own right. The off-road levels of GT4 really look awesome in 1080i. Thank god for that plastic orange fence, otherwise I'd have been at the bottom of the Grand Canyon many a time.

[quote name='mackaikai']does anyone know if Mad Catz's component cable is good enough? =p it's only like 10 bux[/QUOTE]

I think thats the one I have, the one that works for both XBOX and PS2, right? I've never used it for XBOX but it works great for PS2. GT4 works great in 1080i, Burnout Revenge and Soul Calibur III look good in 480p. Those are the only games I have that support higher resolutions (or standard resolution w/ progressive scan). Even on non-progressive scan games I noticed a difference. In Madden 06 I could barely read the players names before, since they were really jaggy and blurry. The component cables cleared all that up nicely.

Get an a copy of a the Guitar Hero. You might the also look into an copy of a the GitarooMan. God of War is also an good game the.

Seriouly, get those games. Guitar Hero kicks Taiko Drum Masters ass. Taiko only has half the song and the game last less longer and has little to unlock. Not to mention that Guitar Hero is way more fun. Do not neglect the Metal Gear series or the Devil May Cry series.

[quote name='gofishn']I think thats the one I have, the one that works for both XBOX and PS2, right? I've never used it for XBOX but it works great for PS2. GT4 works great in 1080i, Burnout Revenge and Soul Calibur III look good in 480p. Those are the only games I have that support higher resolutions (or standard resolution w/ progressive scan). Even on non-progressive scan games I noticed a difference. In Madden 06 I could barely read the players names before, since they were really jaggy and blurry. The component cables cleared all that up nicely.[/quote]

yah that's the one i am talking about, thanks! i will order one now! =)

For platformers, Sony has the Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, Ape Escape, and Sly series. All excellent platformers.

For music games, there's Amplitude, Frequency, and Guitar Hero, all by the music lovers at Harmonix.

I've got the first party component cables and they work great. I try to never pick up any third party accessories if I can help it. Can anyone find a side-by-side comparison of the two different cables?

bread's done
Back