Just got a counterfeit copy of Tetris DS off eBay! UPDATED GOT MY REFUND JULY.6

I'm not sure if anyone else noticed this, but does this seem familiar?

What's even more immediately striking than these fundamental gameplay tweaks is the presentation of Tetris DS, as Nintendo has plastered the game with all kinds of classic 8-bit Nintendo sights and sounds. It covers the basics with themes based on Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda, Donkey Kong, and Metroid, though it also includes themes based on less well-known properties like Excitebike, Balloon Fight, and Yoshi's Cookie. Ultimately, the biggest problem with the presentation is that it banks too much on nostalgia, and frankly, we don't always want to listen to the Super Mario Bros. music on loop while we play Tetris. A lot of the themes are inexorably linked to specific gameplay modes, which means that if you don't much care for a certain piece of music, you're going to want to stay away from certain modes.

Not only is this an excerpt from the dubious Tetris DS instruction manual, but it's also an excerpt from one Ryan Davis's review posted on Gamespot.

sorry dude, but paypal is generally pretty good about these things. I just got scammed buying a 120 gig 360 hard drive, as did a lot of other people from the feedback.

[quote name='Survivalism']You haven't really answered anyone on why you haven't gotten someone from a game store to appraise it.[/QUOTE]

Game store employees aren't really experts either in my opinion. I see bootleg GBA games in used stores such as Gamestop frequently.

Just got this from Paypal.
We received your fax. However, the document provided does not meet our
requirements.

The requested document must be provided by an unbiased, third-party, such
as a dealer, appraiser or another individual or organization that is
qualified in the area of the item in question (other than yourself), which
clearly identifies the item as not authentic.

Please provide valid documentation by June 27, 2009. This time period
cannot be extended further.

The documents should be faxed to PayPal at (402) 537-5760 (please note this
is a United States phone number, if you are faxing from outside the United
States, you will generally need to dial 00 1 before the number). Please
include a cover sheet with your fax that includes the email address
registered on your PayPal account and the ID number of your claim
(PP-XXX-XXX-XXX) so we may attach the document to your claim as quickly as
possible.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Sincerely,
Christina
Protection Services Department
PayPal, an eBay Company
Calling Visa tomorrow. Out of curiosity can I really expect Visa to have my back here? What kind of stuff are they going to need from me?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, I have been really worried about buying off ebay for DS games. The DSi won't play bootlegs, so not only would I get screwed out of money, but also a game. I always contact the seller before the auction ends and ask them where they buy it before I place a bid.

So far I've got Zelda and Pokemon Diamond (Got it for 10 shipped, friggin steal) both legit. Just message the people before hand and ask where they bought it. I always say, I want to know if it's a legit copy or not because it will not play on the DSi and I will know immediately if it's fake.

Also, if you do receive the game, look on the back of the DS cart, if the Pat Pending is missing, its a fake.

Also, look in the case. If Nintendo DS is not inscribed inside the case sideways beside the game's placeholder, it's a fake.

[quote name='CD6405']Yea, I have been really worried about buying off ebay for DS games. The DSi won't play bootlegs, so not only would I get screwed out of money, but also a game. I always contact the seller before the auction ends and ask them where they buy it before I place a bid.

So far I've got Zelda and Pokemon Diamond (Got it for 10 shipped, friggin steal) both legit. Just message the people before hand and ask where they bought it. I always say, I want to know if it's a legit copy or not because it will not play on the DSi and I will know immediately if it's fake.

Also, if you do receive the game, look on the back of the DS cart, if the Pat Pending is missing, its a fake.

Also, look in the case. If Nintendo DS is not inscribed inside the case sideways beside the game's placeholder, it's a fake.[/QUOTE]

I think I am done with DS games on eBay unless it's from a CAG

I got the game today and it was clearly counterfeit. To start it
signature_deepthakur.jpg
:)

At least you paid with a credit card so you can dispute it. I paid for something with funds in my Paypal account about 2 years ago. Paypal decided the dispute in my favor but couldn't recover funds so I was out the money. After that I decided to always pay with a credit card.

And I also believe Paypal and EBay just don't care about bootlegs. I have reported them in the past and they NEVER once have gotten taken down.

Does anyone with experience know if my credit card company will make me jump through the same set of hoops?

Also if I get hosed here I will be in the rare few that can say they've been shafted by Paypal as both a buyer and a seller. I must just be lucky.

Wait, I'm biased?

I've been basically calling you an idiot since this whole mess started. And now they're saying that I'm lying for your benefit?

They're clearly mad with power, just like that Albert Scwitzer guy.

Chargeback and be done with it. Paypal couldn't do anything when I charge backed with my bank, but then again I think it ultimately fell on delivery confirmation which the seller never did lol.

Talked to my CC company. They said I need to mail it back with tracking (which sucks because that will cost me $10) and then they will open a dispute themselves with paypal. I am making one last ditch effort to get a signed document from a local game store but I am not optimistic.

I was able to get the store manager of a local chain video store to verify and sign off on it. Hopefully they take it so I don't have to mail the game back and waste the $10 on shipping it. Atleast my CC says they have my back if all else fails.

Absolutely ridiculous that they would make you spend money to get it appraised just to receive a refund. It's obvious by everything that you've provided that the game is fake, I hope you get it worked out man, because honestly, reading this kind of stuff makes me never want to use ebay again.

Really sorry to read about all the problems you've had with paypal. :( Wishing you best of luck in finally getting it resolved successfully :(.

I personally always avoid sellers from China but I could see how you would think a Canadian (or US) seller would be good, esp if they had good feedback.

Best of luck again ...

For shits and giggles here is the last massive truck of fail I had to deal with involving Paypal in case any missed it the first time around. I was a seller and got shafted now I'm getting the shaft as a buyer. How many people can say that?

Linkage

[quote name='magiic']For shits and giggles here is the last massive truck of fail I had to deal with involving Paypal in case any missed it the first time around. I was a seller and got shafted now I'm getting the shaft as a buyer. How many people can say that?

Linkage[/QUOTE]

How many people are dumb enough to wait around to get burned by them twice?

Fool me once, shame on... shame on... you...

you can't get fooled again.

In his defense, he got burned as a seller and probably figured he'd be ok as long as he's a buyer. Unfortunately, this was not the case... =(

[quote name='Survivor Charlie']How many people are dumb enough to wait around to get burned by them twice?

Fool me once, shame on... shame on... you...

you can't get fooled again.[/QUOTE]

It's hard to not use one of if not the largest online payment processing service. I buy and sell online almost daily and it's pretty much impossible to avoid Paypal.

[quote name='magiic']It's hard to not use one of if not the largest online payment processing service. I buy and sell online almost daily and it's pretty much impossible to avoid Paypal.[/QUOTE]

And because everyone has the attitude of 'well, they're the biggest and there's no stopping them' they have the right to trounce on people like they've done you.

Vote with your wallet and quit using them. Use your credit card, or use the mail system and avoid auctions that are pay-pal only.

[quote name='Survivor Charlie']And because everyone has the attitude of 'well, they're the biggest and there's no stopping them' they have the right to trounce on people like they've done you.

Vote with your wallet and quit using them. Use your credit card, or use the mail system and avoid auctions that are pay-pal only.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's pretty much impossible.

[quote name='Survivor Charlie']And because everyone has the attitude of 'well, they're the biggest and there's no stopping them' they have the right to trounce on people like they've done you.

Vote with your wallet and quit using them. Use your credit card, or use the mail system and avoid auctions that are pay-pal only.[/QUOTE]

The reason I am going through the trouble of getting this $40 back and encouraging others to do the same in my position is that it shows Paypal that if they fuck around enough it will start to cost them money. I always pay via CC through Paypal now unless I trust the person I am sending the money to. Most auctions in the categories I shop in are required to offer Paypal and I'd say 90%+ don't have seperate merchant accounts for CC processing because for most people it's just not cost effective. In addition to this being in Canada doesn't leave me a lot of options when buying online as far as using the mail system to pay for stuff.

Certaintly avoid Paypal if you can but most of the stuff I buy I don't have any other options. When you do use Paypal pay credit card. I am sure if Paypal gets issued enough chargebacks they'll have to work to change their policies.

Avoiding Paypal is great but atleast for me not realistic. That being said in both of my instances with Paypal I have not just rolled over and let it slide. I fought and came ahead on Paypal last time and hopefully I will this time as well.

As of now, there are very few auction sites out there, and zero auction sites with large amount of people as eBay. And now, there very few auctions on eBay (adult items) that you can pay in another ways besides paypal.

Vote with your wallet and quit using them. Use your credit card, or use the mail system and avoid auctions that are pay-pal only.[/QUOTE]you need to learn and listen before you speak. giving two cents is one thing but telling people that you shouldnt have done this and that is another, youre sounding more like his mother.

as several people have pointed out, you dont have much of a choice on ebay. ebay OWNS paypal and therefore, they USE PAYPAL as part of the checkout process. the auctions that doesnt accept paypal in any form are close to none.

and like what magiic said, it is encouraged for people to do the same thing IF they are ever in the same situation. its not like magiic chose to be in this situation, he is a victim and it sucks that he became one.

Got an e-mail today stating that because it is likely illegal to mail it back to them that I have to sign off on a form saying the game has been destroyed and fax it to them. Looks like this may be coming to a close *knock on wood*

[quote name='magiic']Got an e-mail today stating that because it is likely illegal to mail it back to them that I have to sign off on a form saying the game has been destroyed and fax it to them. Looks like this may be coming to a close *knock on wood*[/QUOTE]

Good to hear. After reading those 7 pages, it sounds horrible in general. I try to stick with Craigslist myself if I'm looking for something, but it's hard to do. Ebay banned my account and refused to tell me why years ago- and still refuses to do anything about it. So I basically said :fuck you guys and haven't tried again.

Still, hope things go well. Frauds are so much easier these days thanks to the Internet.

[quote name='magiic']I won.[/QUOTE]

Huzzah! :applause:

It's a shame they made you jump through so many hoops, but at least it turned out better than your last Paypal problem.

[quote name='elmyra']Huzzah! :applause:

It's a shame they made you jump through so many hoops, but at least it turned out better than your last Paypal problem.[/QUOTE]

I know. Sure it's only $50 but still. I'd rather not just thrown $50 away.

In honor of the 4th of July (even if you're a Canadian, and everyone knows you guys secretly wish you were Americans anyway) you should tie the bootleg to a firework and dispose of it that way. Like one of those ones you drop down a tube and shoot up in the sky.

Don't forget the youtube video.

bread's done
Back