Just picked up a GameCube. Any suggestions?

thecoryjihad

CAGiversary!
Feedback
44 (84%)
So I picked up a GameCube for $5 and I'm looking for suggestions for exclusive titles. I've already got Starfox Adventures, but aside from that, I'm not too versed on the Nintendo titles from that era.

Any suggestions gents and ladies?

Bomberman Jetters

F-Zero GX
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life
Harvest Moon: Magical Melody
Kirby Air Ride

Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventure, The

Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, The

Luigi's Mansion

Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour

Mario Kart: Double Dash

Mario Party 4

Mario Party 5

Mario Party 6
Mario Party 7
Mario Power Tennis
Mario Superstar Baseball
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
Pikmin
Pikmin 2
Pokémon Channel
Pokémon Colosseum
Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness
Resident Evil Zero
Resident Evil
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil Code: Veronica X
Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut
Sonic Adventure 2: Battle
Star Fox Adventures
Star Fox Assault
Soul Calibur II
Super Mario Strikers
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Tales of Symphonia
Viewtiful Joe
Viewtiful Joe 2
Viewtiful Joe: Red Hot Rumble
Wario World

Have fun.

Absolutely loved the GC generation of games, you are in for a treat.

Single Player:

Metroid Prime (1 and 2)
Legend of Zelda: Windwaker
Pikmin (1 and 2)
Phantasy Star Online: Episode 1 and 2
Resident Evil 4
Animal Crossing
Mario Sunshine

Multiplayer:

Super Smash Bros Melee
Mario Kart: Double Dash
Mario Party

Phantasy Star Online Episodes I and II (and III, to a lesser extent)
Skies of Arcadia: Legends

Yeah, they're both Dreamcast ports - but they're damn good games.

Some of my favorite exclusives are:

Luigi's Mansion
Mario Sunshine
Smash Bros Brawl
Wario World
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (You NEED this game!!)
Tales of Symphonia
MGS: The Twin Snakes

Those are my favorite exclusives. There are plenty of other good ports and remakes and what not, but if you're just looking for exclusive, that's a good list!

Metroid Prime - I preferred an actual controller the series, especially this game
Wind Waker - one of the best Zeldas
Eternal Darkness - it look/feel dated, but I still love this game (awesome story and gameplay, and I think it controls fine)
Tales of Symphonia - the best game in the series
Skies of Arcadia - a fantastic, old school RPG; give us a fucking sequel already!!
Pikmin - 2 is worth playing, but I honestly liked the original way more
Viewtiful Joe - a great game that doesn't use a unique look/feel to hide mediocre gameplay
Beach Spikers - a great volleyball game (how often do you hear that?) that was overlooked
Mario Sunshine - not the best 3D Mario but it was fun and challenging

There are many more but most have been re-released elsewhere (RE4) in a superior format or aren't that notable on the GC (Resident Evil 2, 3, CVX).

[quote name='kube00']Good luck finding some of the games cheap.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't think that last gen games would be too expensive. I guess I'm wrong?

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door to this day is still one of my favorite RPG's and still one of my favorite turn based style battle systems as well. That and the story and characters made the game fun and love every minute of it.

Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker. I Know it gets alot of flak from people because of the sailing portions, but the giant cartoony world gave Link and everyone a charm and personality they never have had before in the series.

[quote name='thecoryjihad']I wouldn't think that last gen games would be too expensive. I guess I'm wrong?[/QUOTE]
Wind Waker will run you about $30-40 for a black label copy. But it's worth it in my opinion if you've never played it.

[quote name='thecoryjihad']I wouldn't think that last gen games would be too expensive. I guess I'm wrong?[/QUOTE]

Depends what you're looking for and where you're buying. If you want complete games, some can get pricey like $15. Some "rare" games shoot up between $20 and $50. If you're buying single games versus lots of games, shipping costs are going to take their toll on your bottom line. More popular games and Nintendo games may run you as high as $15, other games will easily be had for around $5 or less if you search them out.

If anyone picks up Donkey Konga / Donkey Konga 2 / Donkey Kong Jungle Beat and need the bongo controllers, PM me!

[quote name='Vinny']Skies of Arcadia[/QUOTE]
Not an exclusive, but the GameCube port does come with slight improvements as well as some new stuff. Dreamcast or GameCube, it's a must-play if you love JRPGs.

If you're looking for a big jump in the GC collection, just wait for GS to run their next B2G2, or stores that are doing massive dump offs of their GC stock.

That's where I scored most of the stuff from my collection for cheap.

[quote name='exaznkid']i thought the wii played gamecube games[/QUOTE]

Well, actually it looks like Ninty is slowly phasing out that option, but oddly is not doing a good job informing consumers. Link: http://retroids.com/site/content.php/603-New-Wii-Bundle-Now-Minus-Gamecube-Support!

As for solid Gamecube games, I would recommend Beach Spikers and Billy Hatcher - two excellent and often overlooked games from Sega. The first is from AM2, the same developers behind Crazy Taxi and Virtua Tennis. The second is from Yuji Naka, the creator of Sonic.

You should be able to find these two for practically nothing :)

Most of the great GC titles are pretty expensive. Skies of Arcadia Legends, Eternal Darkness, Tales of Symphonia, and both Pikmin games are some good examples of games that are highly sought after and therefore fetch a pretty high price compared to other GC games.

Other great GC titles include: Mario Kart: Double Dash, Super Mario Sunshine, Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, Baten Kaitos, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, Mega Man Collection, Mega Man X Collection, Sonic Mega Collection, and Sonic Gems Collection.

I recommend all of them.

[quote name='VANDALHEART']Throw it away.[/QUOTE]

Get out of this thread, ass.

[quote name='Zaku77']You can plug in gamecube controllers to the wii. Then you have both systems tah-dah![/QUOTE]

Well.....shit.

Of note, I only spent $5 on the GameCube versus the $100 I'd have to spend on a Wii. I suppose that's a plus?

You really didn't know that Wii's (minus the brand new 2011 holiday season ones) were backwards compatible with GameCube? Wii Remotes may not be the best but there are many games that support various controllers and control schemes, including GameCube controllers for Wii games. I think people prefer the GameCube controller for things like Mario Kart and Smash Bros on Wii.

To be totally honest, I forgot that the Wii could play GameCube games. But like I said before, nothing in the Wii catalog catches my eye, so I look at it as saving $100 on buying a Wii.

I'll add both Baiten Katos games and Ikaruga. I'll also second Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2, Eternal Darkness, Skies of Arcadia, and Pikmin 1 and 2. PNO3 is great if you can get used to the controls, and basically every first party game Nintendo made during the Gamecube's life span is pretty fantastic, especially the Metroid Prime games and Paper Mario TTYD.

As for game suggestions, here are some non-RPG ones:

1080 Avalanche: Special Edition
Def Jam Vendetta
Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
Donkey Konga
Donkey Konga 2
F-Zero GX
Killer 7
Kirby Air Ride
Luigi's Mansion
Mario Kart Double Dash
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
NBA Street 1-3 (3 has exclusive Nintendo characters to play as)
Pikmin 2
Smuggler's Run: Warzones
Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut
Sonic Adventure 2: Battle
Sonic Gems Collection
Sonic Mega Collection
Soul Calibur II (Has Link as an exclusive character)
SSX Tricky / SSX 3 / SSX On Tour (On Tour has exclusive Nintendo characters)
Star Fox Adventures
Star Fox Assault
Star Wars: Bounty Hunter
Star Wars: Rebel Strike
Star Wars: Rogue Leader
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Monkey Ball
Super Monkey Ball 2
Viewtiful Joe
Viewtiful Joe 2
Wario World
WarioWare: Mega Party Game$!
Wave Race: Blue Storm
XG3: Extreme-G Racing
XGRA: Extreme-G Racing Association

For the Metroid Prime games, you should have kept the Wii and got the Trilogy edition with improved control schemes. Pikmin 1 also has an improved control scheme on the Wii. While they re-released Pikmin 2 for Wii in Japan with the improved controls, they never did so state-side. Resident Evil 4 on Wii is supposed to be the definitive control scheme for that game, but its available on GameCube too. I believe RE 0, 1, 2, 3, and Code Veronica were released/re-released on GameCube (the Wii versions of 0 and 1 are shitty ports). Eternal Darkness is supposed to be great for a horror game. And then obviously the Zelda games, Paper Mario, and Phantasy Star Online, and Smash Bros, if you're into those.

One game I found fun was Amazing Island for all the characters you can create.
Donky Konga 1&2 if you have the bongo's.
If you are a Pokemon fan...or even if not Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness was pretty fun and had a really nice storyline to me.

hmmm after looking at the suggestions of fellow cags, i noticed that the gamecube has a pretty limited library, I'm pretty sure those games are fun but I probably would have never tried them if I saw them and most likely never will in the future; all the games i can recommend are pretty much first party games that are now available on the Wii in the form of a sequel and most of the good gamecube games have been ported to the PS2 as well, such as killer 7, RE4 and Megaman X collection

Eternal Darkness...Eternal Darkness...Eternal Darkness! Easily my favorite GC next to Resident Evil 4, but seeing as RE4 can be played on so many formats, I'd say ED is definitely the one title you should go out of your way to play on the GC.

Given that the GameCube is now a decade old, you probably won't find many if any specific GameCube deals in the Deals Forum unless you're looking at the Amazon Warehouse Deals thread or perhaps a GameStop B2G1 thread.

The trading forum here, Amazon Warehouse/3rd Party Merchants, eBay, GoHastings.Com, and Goozex will be your friends for acquiring complete games (or whatever condition floats your boat). GameStop is fine if you don't care about completeness (or the disc playing at all...)

Animal Crossing. It's top notch long lasting entertainment if you ask me! Also the Pikmin Series is a unique RTS, I preferred Pikmin 2 but both are pretty good.

I'm gonna also go out on a limb here and recommend a game that many probably find terrible: Odama. Odama is a sort of extremely strange combination between pinball and a Japanese war game... You control troops with a Gamecube Mic and voice commands, while using a massive pinball to crush enemy (and a lot of the time your own) soldiers. I personally think it's a hilarious game but I know a lot of people don't like it. I just think it's one of those games you either love or hate. Give it a try :p

(Oddly enough, Odama was published by Nintendo.)

For as much hate as it gets.. I really enjoyed Super Mario Sunshine.

Wind Waker was really fun too. I actually like it more than Twilight Princess.

Crazy Taxi has always been a classic.

Obviously Super Smash Brothers Melee.

Mario Parties.

I think that nearly covers it.. I know I am forgetting some.

The Resident Evil remake is awesome. The only reason I own a GameCube is for the Resident Evil games and Metal Gear Solid remake.

[quote name='thecoryjihad']Of note, I only spent $5 on the GameCube versus the $100 I'd have to spend on a Wii. I suppose that's a plus?[/QUOTE]

Very big plus. Realistic resale value aside, if I found a wii and a gamecube both for sale for $5 each and I only had $5, I would choose the gamecube.

If it was between a wii and a $5 footlong, I'd buy the wii. I'm not biased...or very hungry at the moment.

[quote name='VANDALHEART']Throw it away.[/QUOTE]
Ooh, sorry. The correct answer was "put it down". Try harder next time.

[quote name='Kerig']Very big plus. Realistic resale value aside, if I found a wii and a gamecube both for sale for $5 each and I only had $5, I would choose the gamecube.

If it was between a wii and a $5 footlong, I'd buy the wii. I'm not biased...or very hungry at the moment.

Ooh, sorry. The correct answer was "put it down". Try harder next time.[/QUOTE]

Even though the Wii plays GameCube games and has Component cables available for under $100? Wow.

[quote name='AU6294TX']resident evil 4 (the best version IMO).[/QUOTE]
Well it was designed for the cube, it was only ported over due to poor sales of the GCN version, or rather sales that were good but not good enough for Capcom :roll:

bread's done
Back