Just signed into PSN? Just gave up right to class action!

That's for the court to decide, as Blockbuster already lost in a similar case on the grounds it was unconscionable. However, the Supreme Court did rule in favor of AT&T to block class action suits in this fashion, setting a precedent. At any rate, this change is merely to stem the flow of suits against Sony since class action only fills the coffers of firms and rarely benefits the plaintiff. It was a move that will likely benefit us in the long run.

Besides, you have 30 days after signing to opt out of this clause by mail. That article was written as a sensationalist piece.

[quote name='Jodou']That's for the court to decide, as Blockbuster already lost in a similar case on the grounds it was unconscionable. However, the Supreme Court did rule in favor of AT&T to block class action suits in this fashion, setting a precedent. At any rate, this change is merely to stem the flow of suits against Sony since class action only fills the coffers of firms and rarely benefits the plaintiff. It was a move that will likely benefit us in the long run.

Besides, you have 30 days after signing to opt out of this clause by mail. That article was written as a sensationalist piece.[/QUOTE]

How do we opt out? I don't really plan to sue them or expect to get anything out of any class action lawsuits but it's pretty shady for them to stick something like this in fineprint.

It's like every time Sony digs itself out of a hole, it just jumps back in.:bomb:

Arbitration is better anyways as it is less costly for both parties. CA lawsuits are incredibly cheap to bring and expensive to fight (relatively speaking), which is why you get fairly frivolous suits being brought so frequently. There is misdirected incentive to start cases with no intention of going to trial. By lowering the probability of such instances this may end up better for the consumer in the long run and serious issues can still be handled legally or via arbitration.

As usual this is the media blowing something, of which it has little understanding, entirely out of proportion.

Edit: I just noticed Judou made a similar point, so +1 to what he said.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Vinny']It's like every time Sony digs itself out of a hole, it just jumps back in.:bomb:[/QUOTE]

Don't worry. That gives Sony excercise and keeps them strong. Ever notice how buff they are?

hakan-art2.jpg

For someone like me, who knows nothing about law...I don't understand a lot of this. Basically, it just states that I lose all rights to sue Sony and I can opt out if I mail them a letter, right? If I opt out, do I lose access to PSN, or are they going to cancel my account, something along those lines; or will I still have full access to PSN?

On another note, anyone know whatever happened to all those class action lawsuits here in CA against Sony for the information breach? Aren't they still ongoing? Down the road, if Sony loses those lawsuits and are forced to pay each PSN member, do those who agreed to the new TOS, forfeit rights to receive settlement money?

I'll just stop signing into the PSN, which I rarely do anyway as I don't wait to wait 45 mins for updates to download before I play a game.

[quote name='DeathMoJo']at least i can rest easy knowing that all Sony's money is beyond my reach now.[/QUOTE]
if you knew how courts worked

you get like 5% and the lawyers would get the rest

The weirdest thing always happens to me with these EULA/TOS things: I'll walk into the kitchen to grab another beer and my damn cat somehow manages to click Accept.

Poor little thing can't participate in class-action lawsuits against Sony now...good thing that I still can huh? ;) (I'll mail them that letter with a fucking paw-print on it!)

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I wish people would stop suing them, so I don't mind.[/QUOTE]
If a company does something wrong, then they deserve to be sued. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating frivilous lawsuits(like the lady who sued McDonald's for dumping hot coffee on her crotch, when she actually put the fuckin' cup between her legs in the first place:roll:).

But if I sign into PSN, download some silly fuckin' update from Sony and then the next morning I go to turn on my PS3 and it's bricked, then I want either a free repair or a replacement console cuz let's face it Sony's firmwares are written by drunken/stoned code monkeys and tested by their chimp-in-laws.;)

Not that this really matters at all. When was the last time you got more than $3 or $4 out of a class action lawsuit? Unless it's some lawsuit that is going for medical / house / auto related damages and/or the class is relatively small, you never get anything.

From a related article (http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/09/mandatory-ps3-update-removes-right-to-join-in-a-class-action-lawsuit.ars ):

[quote name='PSN waiver info']IF YOU DO NOT WISH TO BE BOUND BY THE BINDING ARBITRATION AND CLASS ACTION WAIVER IN THIS SECTION 15, YOU MUST NOTIFY SNEI IN WRITING WITHIN 30 DAYS OF THE DATE THAT YOU ACCEPT THIS AGREEMENT. YOUR WRITTEN NOTIFICATION MUST BE MAILED TO 6080 CENTER DRIVE, 10TH FLOOR, LOS ANGELES, CA 90045, ATTN: LEGAL DEPARTMENT/ARBITRATION AND MUST INCLUDE: (1) YOUR NAME, (2) YOUR ADDRESS, (3) YOUR PSN ACCOUNT NUMBER, IF YOU HAVE ONE, AND (4) A CLEAR STATEMENT THAT YOU DO NOT WISH TO RESOLVE DISPUTES WITH ANY SONY ENTITY THROUGH ARBITRATION.[/quote]

Break out the certified mail with return receipt for this one.

[quote name='nakanenui']Damn the new update, I see ads on my loading screens. Latest ads are the Star Wars on blu-ray.[/QUOTE]

I think thats unique to Deus Ex. I played GT5 for several hours yesterday and saw nothing of the sort.

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']I think thats unique to Deus Ex. I played GT5 for several hours yesterday and saw nothing of the sort.[/QUOTE]it is unique to deus ex. There was even an article on joystiq about it. Haha to the guy thinking it was the ps3 update messing with his deus ex load screens, that's funny and stupid at the same time!

I was finally thinking of getting back online (I might jump on the Amazon BF3 deal) and was wondering if anyone actually opted out of the binding arbitration or whatever Sony put in the EULA a month ago. For some reason I just pictured Sony cancelling the account of anyone who actually mailed a letter. Usually it is "Accept or Cancel" with these guys. Anyone send it in?

Why bother with the opt-out? You're just playing their game, fuck that.

They clearly stepped over the line with this. If they get hacked again they will get class action sued no problem.

If it was this easy every shop would just have a sign in front saying "Walking near this place it means you can't sue me" fuck I'd sell a bumpersticker saying the same thing.

In other words, it's bullshit!

bread's done
Back