Contra
Battletoads
Dragon Warrior
Megaman 3
Pac-Man
8 eyes
Marble Madness
Metroid

I got it all for $75 from a guy on craigslist. Best deal I've ever made. The contra cart is pretty beat up and takes a bit of work to get started but the effort is well worth it. I also just picked up Dr. Mario, Burgertime, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 Arcade from the gamecrazy classic plastic sale.

Right now the only game I need to recreate the set of games I loved when I was little is Super Dodgeball. Still my favorite NES game ever.

Man, you got a great deal on Kirby and all those Mega Man games for $50.

Are they complete or cart only? I'm trying to build my NES collection but it's hard to find complete NES games.

I'm looking to rebuild my NES collection...of course now that I want to not a single person on CL lists one, ugh. Thrift stores are pretty much useless to me as well.

I'm sorry, Pittsburgh-ers, but I have to let these people know. It's only fair. ;)

If you have any friends or contacts in Pittsburgh and you're building an NES or SNES collection, inquire about what stock is left at some of The Exchange locations in the city. I only mention this because they are one of the few stores left around there that has no qualms with carrying any old games or systems you may want to trade in and tends to have fantastic prices. Of course, they aren't slouches when it comes to titles (ie: you won't be getting SMRPG for $5 or Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom for less than $10) but they DO take stock AND condition into account when it comes to pricing, which is more than a lot of other places ever do.

Granted, most of the time you're not getting a box or manual but you can end up with things like Rainbow Island for $1, Bubble Bobble 2 for $5, all of the Ninja Gaidens for $1 a pop, and so forth. Just be sure to give your inside-man or -woman a reasonable finder's fee for you. The amount you will be spending at The Exchange is FAR less than what you would spend on eBay or elsewhere.

And no, don't ask me. I did my undergrad at Carnegie Mellon and I'm no longer there since I did that thing called "graduating".

[quote name='chodax']I want kirby to come on VC :([/QUOTE]

It's already announced and coming.

I'm going to rebuild my NES / SNES collections through the VC ;)

[quote name='gizmogc']I'm looking to rebuild my NES collection...of course now that I want to not a single person on CL lists one, ugh. Thrift stores are pretty much useless to me as well.[/quote]

For a system itself or what?

I have an extra toploader. It's got one of the old control pads (I have ONE dogbone which I'm hording), not-original AC cord and not-original RF switch. Got Tetris 2 and Metroid. Everything works, it was just a lucky find from a thrift store.

I love my NES collection. Recently heard about Univited and am having some difficulty... dangit, I'm used to Shadowgate and hording everything like a clepto! Now it has unnecessary items like in real life? Nooooo~!

Locally we have a shop that sells random NES games for $5 apiece flat. Gamers has more of the hard to find variety, though they range from $2 to about $30 for some of the super rare ones.

Went to the store, but they must've changed it or something. They had a cabinet full of NES games/accessories and the games were priced $2.95 - $7.95. Only thing besides controllers I saw was a powerpad for $30, not sure if it included any games.

But anyways, for about $25 I got a working NES with cords and 2 controllers, Kirby's Adventure and Rampage from a friend of mine. He told me if he found any of the other games he has, he'd give them to me.

Nice start OP! Let me tell you about mine.

When I was in middle school in the mid-90's, I got rid of all my NES stuff. I had an SNES and my younger brother had a Genesis. The NES had fallen victim to the common pin connector problems we've all heard about, but back then, none of us knew what to do beyond blowing on the cartridge (and I know that's bad now). Therefore, it collected dust in a closet while my brother and I played through Super Mario World, Street Fighter II, Super Mario All-Stars, Sonic 2, and Rocket Knight Adventures. The only thing I kept was my orange Zapper, which I randomly found while cleaning out my closet a few years ago. I guess it got lost when everything else was sold. I still have it today.

And until the last week of November 2005, when I got a friend's spare toaster NES as a late birthday gift, it was the only NES item I owned.

In December, I set out to get some games for it. At the first store I went to, I got these for a buck each:

Michael Andretti’s World GP
Rad Racer

A couple days later, I got Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt for 25 cents.

But the best haul came a few days later, when I made a trip to a local CD/Game Exchange and got these:

Al Unser Jr. Turbo Racing - $1
Blaster Master - $1
Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest - $5
Golf - 50 cents
R.C. Pro-AM - $1
StarTropics - $1

Btw, everything was cart only. And I kind of overpaid for Castlevania II, but it was pretty high up on my want list.

So there you go. Today, I have 59 games, and with three more on the way, it won't take me long to pass 60 (see the link in my sig if you want to see the full list). Small potatoes compared to the people who have hundreds of NES carts, but I'm kinda picky and don't like to have stuff I won't play every now and then.

Anyone looking for NES games, I just found a store near me that has a ton of old games, decent prices to boot. Give me a list and I can go look for them and get a price.

[quote name='Kendal']Anyone looking for NES games, I just found a store near me that has a ton of old games, decent prices to boot. Give me a list and I can go look for them and get a price.[/quote]

Im looking for any Ninja Gaiden, Mega Man 2 - 5, RC Pro AM 2. Thanks!

I stated re-collecting for the NES a couple months back.I have a few double i believe....maybe we could get some nes trading going?

Just for fun here is a mostly complete list of my NEs games .....Got maybe 20 more that i havent updated yet.

http://nintendohaven.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=section&id=17&Itemid=99

Found about 60-70 of these games locally for a buck each but its since dried up.Now i have to resort to ebay till i can check out some flea markets this spring.

Just got a NES system & 3 Games.. So I guess that puts me in the same boat as the OP.

My Games
Cyberstadium Basewars
Tecmo Bowl
Super Mario Bros. / Duck Hunt

Accessories
2 Controllers

i am going to be dumping some of my old nes games in the next few weeks...most of them come with the original box, sleeve, cartridge, and instructions...legend of zelda, gi joe, tmnt, contra, baseball stars, tecmo bowl, super mario brothers 3, and more

Everybody starting your collection should get RC Pro Am ASAP. It's a dirt common game that can be had cheap and is a ton of fun! One of the best games on the system and the best non first party game IMO.

Also reccomend: Solar Jetman and Cobra Triangle as good lesser known titles that should be easy to get.

I've built up my NES collection mostly through accident, while going through garage sales. I've mainly been focusing on other systems, but I'd pick up NES games if I find them. I'm still trying to find a copy of contra and Kid Icarus. Sadly, my NES doesn't work. I picked it up at a garage sale, but I need to fix it.

Did any of you have your parents sell your NES when you were little? Mine did. I'm still trying to track down some of the games I use to have.

I haven't gotten any new games in a while, but when it starts to get warmer I'll be able to go to garage sales and hopefully get a lot of nice stuff.

I got the FC Twin about a month ago for mostly SNES but I plan on buying some NES. I've got about 20 SNES carts. For NES, so far I only have Blades of Steel. Love that game. I need to get Tyson's Punchout, Contra and Baseball Stars next.

RC

I would love to keep building my NES collection, but the system I bought off a fellow CAG a while back doesn't really work too well. I know NES' are damn finicky, so I didn't bitch, but still. If I see one at a garage sale for a decent price, I'd definitely pick it up.

bread's done
Back