Kansas CAG Thread

[quote name='The Tick']Hey all, I'm a Kansas CAGer that's been lurking around here for a long time. Moved up to the KC area a few months ago, and thought I'd finally introduce myself on here.

Looking forward to help out with the deal finding.[/quote]

Welcome to the group!

I was up at NFM this past weekend and they still have plenty of Jeanne D'Arc for the PSP priced at $14.99 as mentioned earlier. I haven't seen much else in the way of deals lately.

My most recent finds were full retail priced copies of Persona 3 and Tetris DS. Not exactly CAG deals but decent finds since they're hard to find in stores.

There is a crazy and insane lack of good deals in the KC area. I look in bargain bins and wonder how the stores think anyone would buy what's in it. I'm not saying I "deserve" cheap quality games. I'm just saying that if I don't find some soon I'm going to start buying board games instead. In fact, I think I'm going to get Risk tomorrow (haven't played that games in around 15 years).

[quote name='umcthomas']There is a crazy and insane lack of good deals in the KC area. I look in bargain bins and wonder how the stores think anyone would buy what's in it. I'm not saying I "deserve" cheap quality games. I'm just saying that if I don't find some soon I'm going to start buying board games instead. In fact, I think I'm going to get Risk tomorrow (haven't played that games in around 15 years).[/quote]

No kidding. The last "deal" I found was a full retail priced copy of Tetris DS and Persona 3 at K-Mart. Oh and I found a copy of WTF! for the PSP at Sears this evening for $5.97.

Pickings have been awfully slim around here lately. I think the last awesome deal i ran across was the Hastings 9.99 and under on all used GC and XBOX games combo-ed with the "buy one get one for a penny" deal. Actually, Hastings hasn't ran a single deal since then--even on DVD's. Bumout.

[quote name='CMorrigu']It's even harder to get deals on board games than it is on video games.[/quote]

Yes and no, I went ahead and bought Star Wars Risk at TRU today. It was $30 after tax. Not a deal, but cheap compared to many video games right now.

[quote name='druciferwept']Pickings have been awfully slim around here lately. I think the last awesome deal i ran across was the Hastings 9.99 and under on all used GC and XBOX games combo-ed with the "buy one get one for a penny" deal. Actually, Hastings hasn't ran a single deal since then--even on DVD's. Bumout.[/quote]

Where is this Hastings you are going to? I only see them in little Missouri towns once in a while.

T

Heads up if anyone needs them. I was at the Toys-R-Us on 95th and Quivara this afternoon and they had a couple of the clearance $39.98 Xbox Live Vison bundles in the case. They must've just gotten these in beacause they didn't have them last week.

Anyone that lives south of the river might want to check out the Sears on Metcalf in Overland Park KS. I was out south visiting the in-laws and stopped in because we're looking to buy a freezer.

They have three of those wire bins with various clearance games in them. I nabbed 2 copies of Rogue Galaxy for $4.97 (none left), a PSP Phat regular battery $7.97 (none left), and a copy of DKC 2 for the GBA for $4.97. I looked in the glass case and saw a couple copies of Eragon for the 360, EBA & SNK Card Fighters for the DS, and I think there was one copy of Persona 3 in the case. I didn't see any prices and didn't have enough time to have them scanned. Also if you have little kids they had a section of toys that were marked down 75% over near the register in the Lawn & Garden section.

While I was there I ALMOST got a copy of the Sears markdown list. Got a quick peek at it but not enough time to get pictures/copies of it.

[quote name='The Tick']Heads up if anyone needs them. I was at the Toys-R-Us on 95th and Quivara this afternoon and they had a couple of the clearance $39.98 Xbox Live Vison bundles in the case. They must've just gotten these in beacause they didn't have them last week.[/quote]

Thanks, I may go over there and pick one up!

I'm still on my non-video game binge. In fact, I gave up video games for Lent. However, I have been introduced to a card game named Fluxx. I bought it in Springfield this weekend and highly recommend it. It is quite addicting. I'll let you know when I verify a local vendor for it. I also played some Stratego and Bohnanza, both good games. Bohnanza is kind of like Pit, only without yelling and without a bell.

I'm beginning to think this website is discriminating against the non-video-game games. I might have to get a board game thread started.

T

[quote name='jdough']If anyone is looking for Blue Dragon, the Target on 119th and Blackbob has one copy left for $29.99[/quote]

The Target on 12200 Blue Valley Pkwy (near 119th & Metcalf) in Overland Park had 3 more copies left for the same price after I bought one this morning.

Hey Thomas, if you're looking for some good non-video game games I might recommend checking out Tabletop Game & Hobby in Overland Park.

A few friends and I get together once a week for some board/card game action.
Been playing a lot of Munchkin, Zombies, and Formula De.

If you haven't been to Tabletop before, the folks there know their stuff, and have a good variety of games.

[quote name='The Tick'] Tabletop Game & Hobby in Overland Park.
[/quote]

Wow, the places I never knew existed. I'll stop by on my next MicroCenter run.

-T

Just FYI in case anybody wanted one, they have an elite system brand new at the Best Buy on 95th and Quivira. It's still priced $449.xx

[quote name='CMorrigu']There's also 31st Century Games & Hobbies in Olathe.[/quote]

I'll check that out sometime too. I went by Tabletop today and they have 2 copies of Fluxx by the checkout for $14. I believe that's retail, but it is also supporting local business so I am recommending it as it is a fun game. In fact, if it were more mainstream, it would make a great Xbox Arcade game.

T

Anyone have any luck finding Wavebirds in the Olathe area? I think I pretty much scoured the entire place and not one store carries it. Bah.

[quote name='ajnk']Anyone have any luck finding Wavebirds in the Olathe area? I think I pretty much scoured the entire place and not one store carries it. Bah.[/quote]

I doubt you'll find any new ones. I did the same thing a couple months ago, and I had no luck at all. eBay is about the only place you'll find new ones, and they are expensive there.

[quote name='halusha']I doubt you'll find any new ones. I did the same thing a couple months ago, and I had no luck at all. eBay is about the only place you'll find new ones, and they are expensive there.[/quote]

I found one Wavebird in the northland about 6 months ago at Sears on clearance but haven't seen another one since that anywhere in the metro area. I flipped it at that time and now wish I would've kept it for SSBB:wave:

I was out running some errands today and I saw about 4 copies of Pimp My Ride for the 360 at the Circuit City near Metro North Mall. You can double your money (in store credit that is) at BB/GR. I'm not going to mess with it so I thought I would pass the info along.

Picked up some PS3 games at Target. Lair and Warhawk for $40, Ninja Gaiden and Folklore for $30. One Target had Folklore on Clearance for $47 (Olathe, 119th & Blackbob), and another had it for $30 (Great Mall).

The Borders on Metcalf, (the one on the 1200 block or so, not the 90 block one) has a ton of board games for $1. As of this afternoon they still had a bunch of them. They are in the bargain book section. Even if they are marked at 50% off they are still $1

I got shrek scrabble, shrek monopoly, pirates of the caribbean monopoly, Such and Such.

Not a great selection but for $1 im not complaining.

I was out in Kansas visiting family recently, I stopped by BJ's pawnshop in Fort Scott because i got lots of games there as a teenager. He had a ton of PS1 games I got Final Fantasy VII for $1.50, and MK: DD for pretty cheap. He had alot of Wii games in stock compared to the Pawn shops here in Indiana. If you live close buy check it out.

[quote name='Sinnbox']I was out in Kansas visiting family recently, I stopped by BJ's pawnshop in Fort Scott because i got lots of games there as a teenager. He had a ton of PS1 games I got Final Fantasy VII for $1.50, and MK: DD for pretty cheap. He had alot of Wii games in stock compared to the Pawn shops here in Indiana. If you live close buy check it out.[/quote]

Damn FF VII for $1.50! That's a hell of a deal!

Have any of you CAGs south of the river ever gone to that liquidation sale at the Overland Park International Trade Center that they keep advertising on TV? I think they do it 2 or 3 times a year and the ad makes it sound like you can get ridiculous deals on electronics, clothes, etc...

[quote name='Chitown021']Damn FF VII for $1.50! That's a hell of a deal!

Have any of you CAGs south of the river ever gone to that liquidation sale at the Overland Park International Trade Center that they keep advertising on TV? I think they do it 2 or 3 times a year and the ad makes it sound like you can get ridiculous deals on electronics, clothes, etc...[/quote]

I went to one in St. Louis about 3 yrs ago, that is probably pretty similar. Big time rip off. No good deals whatsoever. This could be a different thing but I would doubt it. Worse was that you had to pay $10 just to get in.

[quote name='schuerm26']I went to one in St. Louis about 3 yrs ago, that is probably pretty similar. Big time rip off. No good deals whatsoever. This could be a different thing but I would doubt it. Worse was that you had to pay $10 just to get in.[/QUOTE]

I used to go to Computer shows like that, and they used to have good deals. Then the vendors started upping prices, the organizers started upping the door charges, and more people started attending. The result is that there are very few deals, and the last couple I went to were so bad that I paid money to wander around and not buy anything.

[quote name='CMorrigu']The result is that there are very few deals, and the last couple I went to were so bad that I paid money to wander around and not buy anything.[/quote]

That's what I did when I went.

[quote name='Chitown021']Damn FF VII for $1.50! That's a hell of a deal!

Have any of you CAGs south of the river ever gone to that liquidation sale at the Overland Park International Trade Center that they keep advertising on TV? I think they do it 2 or 3 times a year and the ad makes it sound like you can get ridiculous deals on electronics, clothes, etc...[/quote]

We have a sale like that here, basicly you pay $10 or $20 to get in the door and they have afew good deals, but you have to be there early, and there is a 90% chance the cheap games are somethign you have no intention of ever buying unless you are trying for a coplete set.

My wife and her sister are going to something right now at the Municipal Auditorium downtown (that's what they thought the place was called at least). Is this the same thing referenced to a couple posts up? She played the ad on the radio and it said something like xbox 360 games for $19 and car stereos for $49,etc,etc..

Probably all junk but wasn't sure if that was the same thing as mentioned above.

[quote name='schuerm26']My wife and her sister are going to something right now at the Municipal Auditorium downtown (that's what they thought the place was called at least). Is this the same thing referenced to a couple posts up? She played the ad on the radio and it said something like xbox 360 games for $19 and car stereos for $49,etc,etc..

Probably all junk but wasn't sure if that was the same thing as mentioned above.[/quote]

Yeah that's it. I saw the commercial and finally watched the whole thing. It's at Municipal Auditorium near downtown KC. I was thinking it was that one they run in Overland Park a couple times a year.

[quote name='Chitown021']Yeah that's it. I saw the commercial and finally watched the whole thing. It's at Municipal Auditorium near downtown KC. I was thinking it was that one they run in Overland Park a couple times a year.[/quote]

worthless. don't go.

I don't know if any of you KC guys are interested, but GameCo put out their copies of Smash Bros: Brawl today. Though they have them marked up to $59.99.

Heads-up if you want it early without the crowds for an extra 10 bones.

I stopped by Sears on Sat, and picked up 4 PSP games and a 360 game for a total of $25. The staff member I encountered was very helpful and CAG friendly, scanning over twice as many games for price as I actually bought without complaint.

Approximate Prices (from memory)
Rumble Roses XX $8
MGS Portable Ops $3
WTF $3
Dark Stalkers $8
Gangs of London $3

[quote name='CMorrigu']I stopped by Sears on Sat, and picked up 4 PSP games and a 360 game for a total of $25. The staff member I encountered was very helpful and CAG friendly, scanning over twice as many games for price as I actually bought without complaint.

Approximate Prices (from memory)
Rumble Roses XX $8
MGS Portable Ops $3
WTF $3
Dark Stalkers $8
Gangs of London $3[/quote]

Which Sears?

Haven't posted in a while so figure I'd weigh in. I was in Italy for nearly 2 weeks. Over there, games were a bit more but not much. The biggest problem is the $1.50 to 1E conversion. If it was 1:1, prices would be very similar.

That said, here's the more "useful" stuff stateside:

Three weeks ago, I hit up a couple of places along Metcalf.

First was the Sears mentioned above. There were at ton of games out there in bins but nowhere to scan. With a list or a patient clerk, someone could make a killing there.

Then I went to the KMart, up a couple of blocks. The one thing that stuck out is that there were some SNES games in the clearance box. I wonder how long those have been in some warehouse. I believe there was Demoltion Man and some boxing game. Yes, SNES.

Then there were last week's finds:

I had to go out to Manhattan. I was thrilled because I found Katamari Damacy for $17 at Hastings and I didn't have it yet. I also saw a copy of RPG Maker 2 for the PS2 which I don't think I had ever seen before. They wanted $50 for it, tho. Also, for the record, the Sears in the mall in Manahattan doesn't have any games.

Lastly, the Lawrence Hy-Vee on 6th Street got a Red Box for rental, whatever that is. So, they're getting rid of their rental department. Right now, all games are $20. Not much is a bargain there but I snagged God of War 2 and Twilight Princess, two games you don't see for $20 yet.

SI

Are there any good Ma and Pa stores in the KC Metro that sell games? I'm not talking about GameStop or Micro Center, but things more along the lines of GameCo, GameCrazy, etc?

i don't know of any in KC proper off the top of my head, but there's a Gameco in OP near the mall, one in the Great Mall, and one on Santa Fe in Olathe.

Needmore Discs in on Nieman sells games, but their selection is consistently crap.

Then there's Vintage Stock, of course. But no deals be had inside their doors.

[quote name='druciferwept']i don't know of any in KC proper off the top of my head, but there's a Gameco in OP near the mall, one in the Great Mall, and one on Santa Fe in Olathe.

Needmore Discs in on Nieman sells games, but their selection is consistently crap.

Then there's Vintage Stock, of course. But no deals be had inside their doors.[/quote]

There's also a Gameco up north in Gladstone (off N. Oak Trfwy) but their prices aren't that great.

Lawrence has a couple of shops on Mass Street- one called Game Nut that has a pretty good collection of older stuff but is fairly expensive and another called Game Guy which has an ok collection

SI

I hit the K-Mart and Sears off of Metcalf this afternoon on the way out to the in-laws house today. I was surprised how organized the video game section in electronics was at K-Mart. A little TOO organized since there were no deals to be found. I did spot a copy of the latest Tony Hawk game for the 360 on clearance for around $15 and a copy of FF V for the GBA for $12.97. Both are still there if anyone wants them.

When I went to Sears there were 3 bins of clearance games. Two of the bins has next gen games in them (PS3, Wii, 360) as well as PSP, PS2, and Xbox titles. The sign said "$29.99 and under, ask associate for exact price." There was a salesperson scanning and pricing the games in the third bin that contained GBA and DS titles. Some were marked $2.97 but it was junk like Chicken Little and The Little Mermaid.

I checked some prices on games in the glass case.:
Eragon (360) - $3.97 (bought one, still one left)
SNK vs. Capcom Card Fighters (DS) - $29.99:bomb:
DS Web Browser - $29.99 (Was hoping this would be clearance priced. Not a deal but I've been looking for a copy to add to my collection).
Persona 3 (PS2) - $49.99 (In case someone was looking for one).

There were several other titles there but I didn't have my list from the Sears clearance thread so I wasn't sure what other cheap ass deals I might have been able to get.

[quote name='sterlingice']Lawrence has a couple of shops on Mass Street- one called Game Nut that has a pretty good collection of older stuff but is fairly expensive and another called Game Guy which has an ok collection

SI[/QUOTE]

Do they have any Duo, Philips CD-i or 3DO's for sale there?

last time i was in Game Nut they definitely had a 3DO and a stack of games. No CD-i or Turbo Duo systems that i saw. There were a few loose HuCards, however. Never hurts to ask whose working--i've gotten stuff there in the past that wasn't on display.

I don't know if anyone has been watching the CC Clearance thread but I found a clearance copy of Odin Sphere for the PS2 at the location near Metro North Mall. They had a least one more left if anyone was looking for it.

Not sure how many there were but The gamestop up off of Barry Road and I-29(shops at Boardwalk) was giving out a free movie pass for 2 people to a movie called Street Kings on Wed April 9th at 7:30

It is being shown at the AMC right on Barry and I-29

bread's done
Back