Katamari Forever (PS3) $35 after coupon at Amazon ($39.99 - $5 coupon)

Tengaport

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Use coupon code AMZNKATA

:ps3: Katamari Forever $34.99 after coupon

Via the King of all the Cosmos himself: (via twitter @KingOfTheCosmos)

http://www.katamariforever.com/roll
- Sign up, invite your stupid friends, roll them up and get $5 off of 'Katamari Forever' on Amazon.com.

Not sure if you actually have to 'roll up' your friends to get the code - but for those who are interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks OP. This is a nice deal. I was going to leave this as something my wife could get me for Christmas. But the CAG in me says get it now.
Hmmmm....what to do, what to do

Bah, I pre-ordered as well and did NOT get a $7 refund after e-mailing. I guess I can't complain too much since I had ECA plus the $5 code, but quibbling over a few dollars is what being a CAG is all about! :)

Man, I'm really tempted to pick this game up at that price. I just remember playing the Xbox 360 version and not really liking it that much :(

Thx op. Wow I love this site. I usually wait for these games to drop in price, but I was gonna buy this for my wife's birthday. Awesome timing. In for 1.

[quote name='Josef']Dammit, couldn't resist it. Picked it up for $30.99 after ECA and $5 off code. Thanks OP![/QUOTE]

Really wish I wouldnt have missed out on that ECA deal....stupid PC dying that week.....

While wait for the game, you can check check out my review for it:

http://tech-gaming.com/2009/09/26/katamari-forever.aspx

03copy.JPG

Just got off the phone with an Amazon CSR and she told me that they don't price match after the item has shipped. Hopefully I get someone nice enough to answer my email to refund me the difference

They don't price match after shipping anymore. They quit over a year ago if I'm remembering right. It's been a long time at any rate.

Really close to getting this, but I have all the others in the series and this is mostly remakes. I'll just wait for it to hit $20.

Popped in the original Katamari Damacy (PS2) a few days ago... man, that IS the best in the series!

[quote name='emperordahc']Really close to getting this, but I have all the others in the series and this is mostly remakes. I'll just wait for it to hit $20.

Popped in the original Katamari Damacy (PS2) a few days ago... man, that IS the best in the series![/QUOTE]
I'm a long-time series fan, and Katamari Forever eclipses the first game imo.

Once you play with jumping, you can't go back.

[quote name='seanmcc']I'm a long-time series fan, and Katamari Forever eclipses the first game imo.

Once you play with jumping, you can't go back.[/QUOTE]

I wish jumping wasn't a motion control. I have a terrible time getting it to register or timing it appropriately.

I thought jumping had a physical button too?

Geez I hate accelerometer comtrol.

And nobody answered...is this a real full game, or more of a collection of previous games? From reviews, it sounds like there's some frustrating stuff. How's it compare to Beautiful? (Which I have but haven't played yet).

[quote name='Wolfpup']How's it compare to Beautiful? (Which I have but haven't played yet).[/QUOTE]

Well, Beautiful is terrible and amazingly frustrating (i.e. the stage in which you have to pick up fire, and there's a huge river that will end the level immediately if you enter it). Forever is (so far), neither terrible or frustrating... and it also looks the way Beautiful should have looked.

[quote name='mis0']Is the code working still? Can't get AMZNKATA to work anymore.[/QUOTE]

It's fun to answer your own questions, isn't it? :)

Cool, thanks for the info Zen! Well...oh well, I already own it, so...

Regarding graphics, I wonder how I'll like Forever. I like cell shading normally, but I don't actually like the screen shots as well as earlier ones in this case.

What I've always wanted to see is using the power of this generation to eliminate the "cheat" they do in all the versions where you hit a certain size, and it kind of loads up a different scale. I mean it's awesome how they pull it off, but it would be so cool to go from teeny tiny all the way up to rolling up the planet, with no "cheating" at all...and I'm sure they could pull it off this gen (with clever programming) given how much they accomplished on the Playstation 2/Portable.

Soooo dang, I may have to buy this version too :D

Cool, it was in my Gold Box, so code + ECA + FSSS + sales tax (might as well help my state in this time of budget crises) = $31.74. Thanks OP.

Its on my gold box, with ECA, and the code it comes out to $28...still dont know if I should buy it. I have a feeling it will go down to $20 by Black Friday.

[quote name='Wolfpup']What I've always wanted to see is using the power of this generation to eliminate the "cheat" they do in all the versions where you hit a certain size, and it kind of loads up a different scale. I mean it's awesome how they pull it off, but it would be so cool to go from teeny tiny all the way up to rolling up the planet, with no "cheating" at all...and I'm sure they could pull it off this gen (with clever programming) given how much they accomplished on the Playstation 2/Portable.[/QUOTE]

It seems to me (and I've only played a few levels) that while there still is the obvious "level-up" effect (which is more of an indicator to the player that they can now roll up larger shit than anything else), the smaller items that used to disappear as you got larger seem to remain roll-up-able longer, though I'm not sure if this is indefinite.

Still, I too look forward to going from 5cm all the way to 1,000,000m in a single level... it'd be nuts.

[quote name='mywhitenoise']Its on my gold box, with ECA, and the code it comes out to $28...still dont know if I should buy it. I have a feeling it will go down to $20 by Black Friday.[/QUOTE]

You're insane if you don't go for this.

[quote name='zenintrude']It's fun to answer your own questions, isn't it? :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah.. I don't know what you're talking about. The code is supposedly supposed to work still, but I can't get it to work.

Oh well. Would have jumped on it $27.. $32 is too much for this. My gift cards and ECA codes will be better utilized on something else.

[quote name='mis0']Yeah.. I don't know what you're talking about. The code is supposedly supposed to work still, but I can't get it to work.

Oh well. Would have jumped on it $27.. $32 is too much for this. My gift cards and ECA codes will be better utilized on something else.[/QUOTE]

If $5 is a deal breaker for you, you probably shouldn't be buying it at any price, as you obviously don't even want it. Don't buy something just because it is a deal, buy something that you really want to play.

For what it is worth, just used the coupon with double ECA about 2hrs ago with no problems. Try clearing your cache or use a different browser to see if that works...if you really even need the game that is.

[quote name='shrike4242']Fired them an email and asked them for the $7 credit, and pointed out that my ordered copy was damaged in shipment (replacement shipped yesterday and hadn't arrived yet) and it would be appreciated as a good gesture after the issues with the damaged copy.

We'll see what happens.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Average Ghost']got the 7$ refund, woot[/QUOTE]

[quote name='fundogmo']Bah, I pre-ordered as well and did NOT get a $7 refund after e-mailing. I guess I can't complain too much since I had ECA plus the $5 code, but quibbling over a few dollars is what being a CAG is all about! :)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='shuhbonkboo']Just got off the phone with an Amazon CSR and she told me that they don't price match after the item has shipped. Hopefully I get someone nice enough to answer my email to refund me the difference[/QUOTE]

^^^ Yeah, I love how wildly inconsistent they are. I got shot down on my refund request as expected. Now, I still have a sealed copy (since I bought one at GS to play). I could return my Amazon copy and reorder with all the discounts but I'm not sure that's worth all the hassle.

[quote name='Nailbunny']I wish jumping wasn't a motion control. I have a terrible time getting it to register or timing it appropriately.[/QUOTE]

You can use the right trigger to jump ;).

[quote name='zenintrude']Well, Beautiful is terrible and amazingly frustrating (i.e. the stage in which you have to pick up fire, and there's a huge river that will end the level immediately if you enter it). Forever is (so far), neither terrible or frustrating... and it also looks the way Beautiful should have looked.
[/QUOTE]

Um. sorry to break this to you, but that fire level is in Katamari Forever!

[quote name='Wolfpup']
Regarding graphics, I wonder how I'll like Forever. I like cell shading normally, but I don't actually like the screen shots as well as earlier ones in this case.

What I've always wanted to see is using the power of this generation to eliminate the "cheat" they do in all the versions where you hit a certain size, and it kind of loads up a different scale. I mean it's awesome how they pull it off, but it would be so cool to go from teeny tiny all the way up to rolling up the planet, with no "cheating" at all...and I'm sure they could pull it off this gen (with clever programming) given how much they accomplished on the Playstation 2/Portable.

Soooo dang, I may have to buy this version too :D[/QUOTE]

Buy it. The graphics are nice and note that you can play in any of the graphical styles, including the original style. When you unlock the "Classic" modes it defaults to that but I think when starting up levels you can change the style just like you can change the music. I'm not sure if this is unlocked from the beginning but I certainly have that option now after playing through "Forever" mode (which is the first one).

There is quite a bit of replay given the 4 modes (Forever, Drive, Eternal, and Classic).

Also, they DID use the power of this gen to skip the loading phases. Have you never played Beautiful Katamari? Just like that one there is no transition beween size shifts. Things do change (smaller items disappear for example) but other than panning the camera over to show you where you can go next it does not pause at all. There are other size changes where it does not pan and just happens instantly so the "pause and show" is really just to direct the player. I read in one of the reviews that it is frustrating and easy to get lost on levels and needed more direction on where to go. So clearly you can't please everyone ;). (Seriously, though, this reviewer must have never played Katamati before :roll:).

I canceled my order with the code applied yesterday. It is still available to use in my account today. I'm a little torn on this, as I'm not as interested in the gameplay as I used to be (even the new jumping mechanic and gameplay modes I tried in the demo didn't hold my interest as much). In addition, as much as I appreciate the HD upgrade, it still seems like the game has some graphical issues with pop-in (might be a design choice).

I just feel like the game will hit $20 sooner rather than later, and I want to minimize my backlog. Still, I do agree it's a great deal for a game that just came out.

I do have more $10 GCs coming from Amazon, but I dunno if I will get them before this offer/price ends, nor am I sure if I want to spend them on this...

[quote name='io']Um. sorry to break this to you, but that fire level is in Katamari Forever!
[/QUOTE]

It was brought over? The one where you have to get to 10,000C or some crap? Hmm...

[quote name='zenintrude']It was brought over? The one where you have to get to 10,000C or some crap? Hmm...[/QUOTE]

Indeed. And if you think it was frustrating in normal mode, wait till you try it in "Drive" mode (where you go much faster). It isn't too bad though - just one I may never get 100 or 120 on.

[quote name='io']^^^ Yeah, I love how wildly inconsistent they are. I got shot down on my refund request as expected. Now, I still have a sealed copy (since I bought one at GS to play). I could return my Amazon copy and reorder with all the discounts but I'm not sure that's worth all the hassle.[/QUOTE]My first email over it was denied, and I sent a second one.

In between the answers to the first and second email, I had to call them about a different issue and brought up the refund request. I told that I had this order damaged in shipment (damned bubble mailers :bomb: ) as well as another one in a week's time and that it was an inconvenience to run to the PO twice to send back the damaged items. After some back and forth, the rep agreed to the refund.

I later received a follow-up email to my second request, which said the following:
[quote name='2nd Amazon response email']Hello,

I realize our last message was disappointing news for you.

Prices on some items may change due to special offers from suppliers and manufacturers or our inventory and sales volumes. When we can offer a lower price for new purchases we will, but we can't honor new discounts for completed orders.

I'm sorry I don't have better news for you; this is our policy at this time. We won't be able to comment on this issue further.

We hope to see you again at Amazon.com.[/quote]

Rather snippy, don't you think?

The credit is there on the order, so I'm good.

[quote name='GaveUpTomorrow']If $5 is a deal breaker for you, you probably shouldn't be buying it at any price, as you obviously don't even want it. Don't buy something just because it is a deal, buy something that you really want to play.

For what it is worth, just used the coupon with double ECA about 2hrs ago with no problems. Try clearing your cache or use a different browser to see if that works...if you really even need the game that is.[/QUOTE]

$5 is a lot of money.. don't know what you're talking about. Played the first KD on PS2 and loved it. The thing is, some people in this thread were talking about how many levels from the previous games are used here. I'd love to play KD on HD.. but $27 puts it in the $20 region while $32 puts it in the $30 region. :D

But yeah, I'll do the cache thing and see if it works. Thanks.

[quote name='shrike4242'] Rather snippy, don't you think?

The credit is there on the order, so I'm good.[/QUOTE]

Wow, that's not cool--"we won't be able to comment on it further"?? That's pretty much telling you piss off, and IMO that's unnecessary. If I got that kind of email, I'd definitely let them know about it, if only for them to show some courtesy next time they correspond--I mean, why even mention something like that when they already advised they aren't going to do anything further? At least you got the credit though.

I don't know, it seems okay to me. I mean that's been their policy for ages, and if they've already commented on it once or twice, they and it eats up resources to keep saying the same thing...

[quote name='Wolfpup']So how much of Forever is just a rerelease of previous games?[/QUOTE]

There are 30 levels and all but 3 (or maybe 4) are ones from previous games. One of the new ones is the desert one in the demo. The other two come at the end.

But I look at it like this: people are all gaga over the God of War Collection and if nothing else this is a fairly comprehensive sampling of all the games so it is worth it just for that. I mean, getting some of the classic KD and We Love Katamari levels in crisp HD is worth it to me. Plus trophies - so now I have tangible rewards for all those hours spent playing Katamari ;).

My only disappointment was that they did not include the awesome ending minigame from Me & My Katamari (the PSP version). That was the best one by far (side-scrolling action). You do unlock the ending minigames from some of the other games though, which is nice.

It would have been nice if it was a bit more comprehensive though if it was going to be mostly rehashes. While there are a lot of levels I would have liked to have seen ALL of the previous ones in some form!

--------------------

Shrike - I got pretty much that exact same email and it was from my first request. That is their boilerplate response to refund requests. I would have been happy to have gotten the credit and that email rather than what I got - NO credit and that email ;).

But it does make it frustrating to preorder something only to see it drop right after they ship your copy. This happened on GH5 as well and they denied that refund also. So what is the point of preordering if you get NO benefit from it other than getting it a few days after release vs a week after? I had mentioned this in my email but it made no difference. When I run out of these $30 game codes I will think twice about preordering stuff in the future. I jumped on a lot of games because I got gold box discounts but even those get wiped out by the much greater discounts they seem to be applying after release (plus it seems people are getting this game in their quick picks even after release).

That was fun, the "8-bit style" one! Had forgotten about that.

Yeah...hmm...well I don't think I'm going for it then at $30, but maybe if it hits less. I really hope they do an original game at some point, and I'd really like to see that "seamless scaling" thing I talked about before.

I'm not suggesting that people keep emailing Amazon CS over and over, but on the other hand, Amazon's CSR resource management isn't my problem. Having worked in a CSR environment many moons ago, I can safely say you just have to deal with it as people are going to do what they are going to do.

I'm still torn on ordering the game. I may end up caving if I get one of my $10 GCs in time...

[quote name='gunm']Wow, that's not cool--"we won't be able to comment on it further"?? That's pretty much telling you piss off, and IMO that's unnecessary. If I got that kind of email, I'd definitely let them know about it, if only for them to show some courtesy next time they correspond--I mean, why even mention something like that when they already advised they aren't going to do anything further? At least you got the credit though.[/QUOTE]I know in past conversations about Amazon's CSR's, when they say you can't get a refund/price adjustment, it's the end of it. My issue was more with the fact that I was asking for the PA because of the fact I had to run to the post office and ship off their defective copy because of piss-poor packaging. Which I made sure to comment about on both the first shipment and the second shipment. I think that was why I received the credit because of the issue I had with the order.

Which is why I recommend people do packaging feedback on all their orders, which will help Amazon work towards fixing crappy shipping jobs, plus work with vendors for easier item packaging. I made a thread about it over here:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237491

[quote name='io']Shrike - I got pretty much that exact same email and it was from my first request. That is their boilerplate response to refund requests. I would have been happy to have gotten the credit and that email rather than what I got - NO credit and that email ;).

But it does make it frustrating to preorder something only to see it drop right after they ship your copy. This happened on GH5 as well and they denied that refund also. So what is the point of preordering if you get NO benefit from it other than getting it a few days after release vs a week after? I had mentioned this in my email but it made no difference. When I run out of these $30 game codes I will think twice about preordering stuff in the future. I jumped on a lot of games because I got gold box discounts but even those get wiped out by the much greater discounts they seem to be applying after release (plus it seems people are getting this game in their quick picks even after release).[/QUOTE]I've been a little wary about some pre-orders I've put in, and I know if we get more of this behavior we've seen with GH5, Forever Katamari and Halo 3 ODST, I'm going to be less inclined to giving them a pre-order, especially when it's almost as much as the post-purchase credit for another purchase offer.

If I have to go through this again with my next big pre-orders, Demon Souls CE, Uncharted 2, Brutal Legend and R&C: Crack In Time, I'm going to make sure to bring up the pre-order pricing parity repeatedly and often.

[quote name='gunm']I'm not suggesting that people keep emailing Amazon CS over and over, but on the other hand, Amazon's CSR resource management isn't my problem. Having worked in a CSR environment many moons ago, I can safely say you just have to deal with it as people are going to do what they are going to do.

I'm still torn on ordering the game. I may end up caving if I get one of my $10 GCs in time...[/QUOTE]The big issue is that they're pulling from multiple pools of reps from EStara (the company that does their CS, which is what comes up on Caller ID if you do the "Call Me" support request) from both inside and outside the US. The US-based reps seem much more willing to help out the customer and go a little above and beyond/off-the-script, while the ones from other parts of the world won't deviate as much, if at all. The ones that handle the email responses are certainly the least likely to go off-script for their support responses.

Next time I run into a little surprise like this one, I'm going to just call and not email, so I won't have to waste time on the email response.

I actually placed an order, but canceled it minutes later since BF is less than two months away now. I have a feeling we are going to see some incredible prices on great games that aren't hitting their expected sales numbers due to the lack of a gamer's stimulus package.

[quote name='io']^^^ Yeah, I love how wildly inconsistent they are. I got shot down on my refund request as expected. Now, I still have a sealed copy (since I bought one at GS to play). I could return my Amazon copy and reorder with all the discounts but I'm not sure that's worth all the hassle.
[/QUOTE]

I got shot down as well. I was basically teling them that instead of me returning and ordering a new one, why not save everyone a hassle and just give me credit. Also I pointed out that if it was price fluctuation after game was released I understand but mentioned it sucks for people who pre order only have the item price go down as soon as it's released. But still got shot down twice. Was going to just return the game but turns out I need to pay for shipping?? When did this happen? I did some few returns and I don't remember amazon asking me to pay for shipping charge.

[quote name='testaroo']I got shot down as well. I was basically teling them that instead of me returning and ordering a new one, why not save everyone a hassle and just give me credit. Also I pointed out that if it was price fluctuation after game was released I understand but mentioned it sucks for people who pre order only have the item price go down as soon as it's released. But still got shot down twice. Was going to just return the game but turns out I need to pay for shipping?? When did this happen? I did some few returns and I don't remember amazon asking me to pay for shipping charge.[/QUOTE]

I tried the same argument as well and got shot down. I am considering doing the return. You pay shipping when you are basically returning a game that isn't defective in some way or something happened that was a fault of Amazon. I think its always been that way.

[quote name='Wolfpup']So how much of Forever is just a rerelease of previous games?[/QUOTE]

Between this issue and my disappointment with Beatiful Katamari . . . I'm just going to wait to see if I can get if for $20 later on.

I was a little annoyed to see that the price dropped less than a week after release, it's especially annoying to see how well it works in Amazon's favor since I guarantee almost everyone here would've waited a few days. I wish they would reinstate their price-match policy, but that's probably not going to happen.

If I hadn't already opened it, I would consider returning it and re-ordering, just to get the discount.

I'm a little peeved that just a few days after receiving it it's dropped from $46 to $40.

Oh well.

I'm dumb for even asking this, but what is ECA and what do I do to get it or use it?
Whoops, never mind, I wans't even thinking that I just saw the ECA thread on the main page.
Too much non-video game recreational activity.

Just got this in my goldbox, with eca & coupon came out to 28.99 great deal for a game that just recently came out

[quote name='oemor']Just got this in my goldbox, with eca & coupon came out to 28.99 great deal for a game that just recently came out[/QUOTE]

I was going to hold out and see if this game would hit $20 around Black Friday...but I figured "what the hell?" and bought it for $28.99 as well.

Just snagged a copy for $16 shipped, thanks to x2 ECA, $10 VGC (from KH), and the $5.00 coupon. I rented it from Gamefly, and it was fun, but I didn't think it was worth more than $20; so getting it for under that I couldn't refuse (especially since it just came out, and the price of Beautiful Katamari is jacked up beyond belief at the moment).

bread's done
Back