Keiji Inafune's Mighty No. 9 for PC, 360, PS3, Wii U, PS4, XBOne, Vita, 3DS

Does it count when he copies his own game? :lol:

Already over half a mil. Wow. Talk about sending a message to Crapcom.
Capcom_europe on twitter said fans had no interest in mega man games. 500k in one day proves otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it count when he copies his own game? :lol:

Already over half a mil. Wow. Talk about sending a message to Crapcom.
He may have created Mega Man/Rockman, but Capcom owns the character. However, I think it's different enough not to be considered copyright infringement. It looks more like a spiritual successor to Mega Man than anything else and we've had quite a few of those for other series over the years. [Armikrog in my signature is a spiritual successor to The Neverhood which is being made by the original creators. EA owns the rights to The Neverhood, but refuses to do anything with the license kinda like Capcom with Mega Man.]

That said, one concern that I have is that by 2015 I'll probably be playing almost exclusively on Playstation 4. Hopefully they add that later as an additional stretch goal.

He's serious. I follow all of capcom's twitters and constantly check who sends them tweets if they're negative I verbally attack them in alphabetical order. Age,gender,size and sure enough he's been tweeting them.

Aaaahhhhhhhh!!!!

I want the plushy, but I don't have the mushy --- er, money!

Oh well.  I do have 30 days to find the money.*  And I really hope it makes it to $2.5 million, although I also hope they reconsider Xbox 360/PS3 as Xbox One/PS4, since we are talking 2015 here.

* Yeah, not going to happen unless I literally find the money.  "Wow, $175 lying in the street!  Here you go Keiji.  Now give me my plushy!!!...... Please."

:bouncy:

"We haven't heard anything from Capcom at this point. If it turns into a legal battle, then obviously it'll be lawyers that hash out what the solutions are. However, from my perspectiv, Mega Man is something that I created. It would be like having a child, then having somebody adopt that child and then saying that child isn't really yours. That child has your DNA in it, no matter what anybody says. So, since my style, my spirit isn't something that I can't change as a human being, if I create anything and it's something that looks like [Mega Man], well, it was created by the same person, me. To say that Mighty No. 9 looks like Mega Man is to say that my work looks like my work.

But we have been careful. The base gameplay is not the same as Mega Man. The naming, the character, all that is not the same. The details are very different. Personally, I've gone out of my way to make sure that this is something original. And if Capcom does come back and say something, I would be surprised."

Holy shit balls... $600K+ in one day? Glad to see this doing well. I'm not the biggest fan of 2D MM but I got a lot of respect for Inafune. 

I'm sure Capcom is planning a lawsuit though... not because the game looks like a MM clone, but because it's Inafune. 

He may have created Mega Man/Rockman, but Capcom owns the character. However, I think it's different enough not to be considered copyright infringement. It looks more like a spiritual successor to Mega Man than anything else and we've had quite a few of those for other series over the years. [Armikrog in my signature is a spiritual successor to The Neverhood which is being made by the original creators. EA owns the rights to The Neverhood, but refuses to do anything with the license kinda like Capcom with Mega Man.]

That said, one concern that I have is that by 2015 I'll probably be playing almost exclusively on Playstation 4. Hopefully they add that later as an additional stretch goal.

Holy shit balls... $600K+ in one day? Glad to see this doing well. I'm not the biggest fan of 2D MM but I got a lot of respect for Inafune.

I'm sure Capcom is planning a lawsuit though... not because the game looks like a MM clone, but because it's Inafune.
Capcom does own the Rockman/Megaman license, but I'm not sure if there's any legal basis to shut it down though; many "spiritual successors" have been made. Since Inafune designed MM, any visual resemble is due to the him being unable to change his art style! If Capcom did shut this down, their 2013 earnings will drop due to having to spend millions on pr and damage control.

btw does the MM series creator still work at Capcom?

Capcom does own the Rockman/Megaman license, but I'm not sure if there's any legal basis to shut it down though; many "spiritual successors" have been made. Since Inafune designed MM, any visual resemble is due to the him being unable to change his art style! If Capcom did shut this down, their 2013 earnings will drop due to having to spend millions on pr and damage control.

My comment wasn't about the legal basis... I was just saying Capcom would sue Inafune to dick him around.

Nah, that's crap. He could change his art style and has. Not all of the games he's worked on have looked like Mega Man.

Nope. Keiji Inafune left Capcom a while ago and that was when Capcom canceled Mega Man Legends 3.

1378125606377.jpg

Nah, that's crap. He could change his art style and has. Not all of the games he's worked on have looked like Mega Man.
I know; I was just bringing up something that can be used as an argument in the event Capcom did peruse legal filings.

Nope. Keiji Inafune left Capcom a while ago and that was when Capcom canceled Mega Man Legends 3.
I meant the other guys: Akira Kitamura and Tokuro Fujiwara.

Levels and Bosses 7 & 8 reached.

:applause:

Only ~$57,000 left for Mac/Linux versions to be funded.

:shock:

Let's get to $2.5 Million.  We're already over halfway there... with 28 days to go!

:pray:

Ejta88H.jpg

I instantly backed it once I heard about it. I fucking love the shit out of Megaman.

The best part is Capcom can't sue because he isn't copying anything from Capcom even though technically he copied everything. It's like Call of Duty vs Battlefield. Same idea, different game.

I instantly backed it once I heard about it. I fucking love the shit out of Megaman.

The best part is Capcom can't sue because he isn't copying anything from Capcom even though technically he copied everything. It's like Call of Duty vs Battlefield. Same idea, different game.
Same idea as in Military shooter vs 2d mech/boy playing mech bosses, similar character design.. I think they have more of a case than what people are thinking. That's why I'm not funding it. Ill buy if it comes out.

I can see capcom filling a lawsuit after funding is closed, it would be public relation suicide but they won't care. Capcom (from a business aspect) needs to protect there intellectual properties. Even if the man is the creator, capcom still owns mega man

lol Inafune used the argument:

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/09/03/inafune-mighty-no-9-looks-like-mega-man-due-to-my-art-style/

How awesome would it be if capcom shut this game down and then on that same day announced a mega man 11 game.

How awesome would it be if capcom shut this game down and then on that same day announced a mega man 11 game.
doubt it, if capcom shuts it down. i doubt you will see a new megaman game ever again in your life time.

$1,557,557. :whee:

Mac/Linux funded.   :applause:

New Game Plus / Turbo Mode funded.   :cool:

???...... IS NO LONGER NEXT!!!   :shock:

That's right, both ???s have been bumped to the end of the list of Stretch Goals.  $1,750,000 is now the Making-Of Documentary with PS3/360/Wii U Versions now sitting quaintly at $2,200,000.  That's a cool $300,000 less than it needed before.   :D/

Inafune is sooooo not Capcom.   He listens.   :hot:

They lowered the porting from 2.5 to 2.2. So looks like we're getting a port in 2015 + an old style box. Good shit

The aesthetic and even the concept seems like a knockoff. Honestly though, I have a bias against the "pay us now, get your game later" model.

It isn't like you can pre-order games anywhere.
This is a pre-order for a game that does not yet exist. Pre-orders are generally for games that are in production. Plus you don't get charged until the game comes out.

Hell, I'll play this game. I don't think these guys need Kickstarter to do this.

This isn't a preorder.  This is the ability to help fund a game that you might want to help fund if you're a fan of the concept and creators.  It's not a guarantee of anything.  It's more of a donation towards a project that you want to support.  So if you don't have enough trust in the concept and the creators to deliver a product you want to play, it makes sense not to back it, and that's fine.  You can always wait and see how it turns out if you're only interested in buying the completed game instead of funding it ahead of time (assuming the project meets it's goal, which this one has).

Been tweeting and emailing Capcom about this.

Hope they shut it down. This is just wrong.
Gimme a break....if Capcom actually gave two craps then Inafune would still be with them and we'd have more MM games. They USED to be my favorite company because they put out awesome titles and seemed like they cared about their fans. Now they are nothing but a soulless corporate shell.

So why are you the #1 enlisted in the CDF (Capcom Defense Force)?

More power to Inafune, he might not have "created" MM, but he sure as hell has been the best surrogate father than lovable little robot has ever had and could hope for. So for all of that dedication to the franchise and keeping it alive over 20 years, you "reward" him by stabbing him in the back with taunts like "Well I'm going to tell Mom!!!" Real mature.

I'm sure they have lawyers to do the job you're so keen on volunteering to do as their No. 1 Fan. (as you're probably the only one they have left nowadays) :dunce:

Akira kitamura says wat up doe
See above....I see Inafune as the shepard and savior of the character, without him MM would have been a footnote of a character that had the crappy box art from the mid-80's and nothing more. And frankly until this year I had never heard of Kitamura, so other than highlighting my ignorance, what does that say about his contibution to the character in the last 25+ years....

Next thing you'll tell me is that Yuji Naka didn't create Sonic....oh wait.

This will make for some interesting light reading.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=193224

:bow: ;) Priceless.

I know; I was just bringing up something that can be used as an argument in the event Capcom did peruse legal filings.

I meant the other guys: Akira Kitamura and Tokuro Fujiwara.
No and no...I'd suggest reading the Neogaf thead I posted, there is a large amount of information in there debunking and sorting out the players and what happened to them in the who's Rock's Daddy mystery.

$1,756,170.

Making-Of Documentary reached.

~$450,000 more and we'll have PS3/360/Wii U console versions.  We're obviously going to make it.  Inafune might as well surrender and announce that they were planned all along!

I wonder if we'll get to learn what the ??? is and if it'll go high enough to earn it.  It should only be an additional $300,000 at that point, since that's how much the console versions were bumped up by when it was pushed back.  It'll be really slow at that point, especially with the thing most people want (more platforms) out of the way, but if it's really good I'd imagine it would get reached too.

I loved the 80s/90s Mega Man games, and the concept art of this game looks wonderful. I'm definitely gonna pledge near the end of this campaign unless something comes up. I hope he comes up with some clever ideas for this new character.

I'm especially pleased that he isn't attempting to continue the depressing trend toward ultra-dull apocalyptic 'grittiness' that the MM franchise had dipped into several times. I like my Mega Man games vibrant, colorful, and energetic.

Still pissed they shut down Mega Man Legends 3. Granted I wasn't enthused about it being on the 3DS but nevetheless love that series.

Not awesome, not at all.

EDIT: FAQ update says with enough fan requests they would consider PS Vita and 3DS versions... :D

bread's done
Back