Kickstarter: Ouya Video Game Console (Coming to Target, Amazon, GameStop, Best Buy)

[quote name='louiedog']I would, but I just pledged money to the Penny Arcade kickstarter so that Gabe would think of me during sex. They really do have the best rewards.[/QUOTE]
I expect there to be a lot of really scared ducks after this project launches.

[quote name='htz']Yeah it went live early this morning. I would also like to add that all games will be free (At least a demo for every game released) on this console for those who did not read the articles.[/QUOTE]

Not true. They are saying that this is why social games are working so well. It gives people the full game up front with the ability to add in more via micro-transactions. Since this is using Android I assume it is just going to be the equivalent of a tablet with a wireless controller and HDMI out. Not a bad price for $100, but it will still be limited in what Android ICS can do.

There are free games on Android for sure, but not every one of them has a demo and not everyone of them is free with a micro-transaction model.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']My main issue with this is the storage. 8GB is fine for the apps that you would download for the first year or two. Most apps are rather small. All I am saying is it would be nice if it had a MicroSD expansion so you could add another 32GB of memory if you needed to.[/QUOTE]
I think that is what the USB port is for...;)

[quote name='Saix_XIII']Not true. They are saying that this is why social games are working so well. It gives people the full game up front with the ability to add in more via micro-transactions. Since this is using Android I assume it is just going to be the equivalent of a tablet with a wireless controller and HDMI out. Not a bad price for $100, but it will still be limited in what Android ICS can do.

There are free games on Android for sure, but not every one of them has a demo and not everyone of them is free with a micro-transaction model.[/QUOTE]
It is probably going to be a highly customized version of Android like what amazon did with the kindle fire. If you look on the kickstarter page, the UI for ouya looks nothing like android, it looks more like the dashboard on the xbox 360. (Not surprising since the co-creater of Xbox is working for them).

[quote name='Saix_XIII']Not true. They are saying that this is why social games are working so well. It gives people the full game up front with the ability to add in more via micro-transactions. Since this is using Android I assume it is just going to be the equivalent of a tablet with a wireless controller and HDMI out. Not a bad price for $100, but it will still be limited in what Android ICS can do.

There are free games on Android for sure, but not every one of them has a demo and not everyone of them is free with a micro-transaction model.[/QUOTE]
It is probably going to be a highly customized version of Android like what amazon did with the kindle fire. If you look on the kickstarter page, the UI for ouya looks nothing like android, it looks more like the dashboard on the xbox 360. (Not surprising since the co-creater of Xbox is working for them).

[quote name='htz']I think that is what the USB port is for...;)[/QUOTE]

USB port for expansion memory to me is useless. I would need to use a USB stick which is more expensive and adds to the "bulk" of the system. Or I would need to use a external HDD which adds even more bulk plus runs slower than flash memory.

I believe the USB port is more for a keyboard or to charge the controllers (if they are rechargable) or for other unknown accessories, not memory.

[quote name='ProppaT']And, for $100, people will buy something like this just to tinker around with and hack. ALSO, emulator box w/ hacked on Netflix support for $100 :)[/QUOTE]

That's the thing that I'm surprised isn't being played up. Assuming this runs them (and why wouldn't it?), there are Android apps for Hulu+, Netflix, HBO Go, etc. $100 for a streaming media box that is also designed specifically to play games seems huge.

I have a HTPC already so I'm covered for this kind of stuff, but most people don't and this thing is competitively priced and does a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking this will have a hard time reaching its goal.

Even if they sell all 6000 console preorders, that's only $600,000 out of $950,000. They've had a couple of generous $10,000 pledges, but realistically, how many of those are they going to get?

Not that you shouldn't pledge. You get charged nothing, not even a hold, unless and until the project is funded.

[quote name='htz']I think that is what the USB port is for...;)

It is probably going to be a highly customized version of Android like what amazon did with the kindle fire. If you look on the kickstarter page, the UI for ouya looks nothing like android, it looks more like the dashboard on the xbox 360. (Not surprising since the co-creater of Xbox is working for them).[/QUOTE]

I hope they're also thinking of releasing something close to a basic AOSP package for the kit, it would definitely help with customization.

Hmmm... I'm a little on the fence about this. I don't see the advantage in jumping in early. If it fails it's pretty bad but if it succeeds they'll make more and I could get one of those.

Eh, I guess the idea is neat, but it's way too idealistic to work. The games will either have to be free or have some free to play component. So you are going to basically have an HTPC that can only play free games. So basically, a bunch of demos and freemium and free games. I can already play any of those on a PC and I can build my own HTPC if I really wanted to game on the TV.

[quote name='PublikDefender']android sucks. if it were running a true gnu/linux os like debian (mint, ubuntu) or red hat (centos, fedora) then i'd be all in.[/QUOTE]

If it's really fully hackable then it could run it couldn't it ...

I was seriously considering kickstarting this and then I found out that the Tegra 3 supports 3DTVs.

[quote name='adamical']I'm thinking this will have a hard time reaching its goal.

Even if they sell all 6000 console preorders, that's only $600,000 out of $950,000. They've had a couple of generous $10,000 pledges, but realistically, how many of those are they going to get?

Not that you shouldn't pledge. You get charged nothing, not even a hold, unless and until the project is funded.[/QUOTE]
Even if they don't meet there goal, it will send a clear message to the Big 3 that we are tired of rip off DLCs, $60 games, and the same FPS every year.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Eh, I guess the idea is neat, but it's way too idealistic to work. The games will either have to be free or have some free to play component. So you are going to basically have an HTPC that can only play free games. So basically, a bunch of demos and freemium and free games. I can already play any of those on a PC and I can build my own HTPC if I really wanted to game on the TV.[/QUOTE]

The hardware looks pretty standard for the Android platform (there are already a number of Tegra 3 tablets). It would be pretty trivial in many cases to port games already developed for those devices over to this one.

Hmm.. I'm not sure this is for me. I don't see anything that this can do that my phone/tablet/laptop won't also be able to.

I'm sure when it releases I'll want one though. :p

[quote name='htz']Even if they don't meet there goal, it will send a clear message to the Big 3 that we are tired of rip off DLCs, $60 games, and the same FPS every year.[/QUOTE]

Um I thought Android and iOS did that in general already?

[quote name='Xaliqen']The hardware looks pretty standard for the Android platform (there are already a number of Tegra 3 tablets). It would be pretty trivial in many cases to port games already developed for those devices over to this one.[/QUOTE]

What about a lack of a touchscreen interface? Are most Android games (Angry Birds, for example) already setup to use a controller?

[quote name='Salamando3000']What about a lack of a touchscreen interface? Are most Android games (Angry Birds, for example) already setup to use a controller?[/QUOTE]

That's where they'd have to do more work. A lot of games already have a PC equivalent though, so the work's already done (for those games).

I don't see what this console would offer me as someone who already owns basically every console and also a PC, but I've pitched in at the $95 for now, can always cancel later before the deadline. Am interested in seeing more.

[quote name='Salamando3000']What about a lack of a touchscreen interface? Are most Android games (Angry Birds, for example) already setup to use a controller?[/QUOTE]

The controller has a touch pad.

This is interesting to say the least. Angry Birds HD on my big tv? I guess I could see this console selling for $100, but more then that is really pushing it.

Edit: Just noticed it is indeed $100. Not bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
In for $95, at least for now. At first I cringed, because I pictured it as an Angry Birds Angry Birds Angry Birds system, but being able to hack it is everything. I've been considering building a cheap computer rig for my TV, but this is a good deal if you can put linux on it. 29 days to decide at least!

[quote name='Saix_XIII']My main issue with this is the storage. 8GB is fine for the apps that you would download for the first year or two. Most apps are rather small. All I am saying is it would be nice if it had a MicroSD expansion so you could add another 32GB of memory if you needed to.[/QUOTE]
The engadget article mentions that it has a standard SD card slot...

If you read the article, they state that they have touch support on the controller. I'm assuming that the top front of the computer is a touch pad. Obviously, the games would have to add a cursor to the screen when they're ported, but it's still possible. Besides, I'm more interested in controller based games. All the Android games that have touch d-pads on screen will port over beautifully well.

[quote name='adamical']I'm thinking this will have a hard time reaching its goal.

Not that you shouldn't pledge. You get charged nothing, not even a hold, unless and until the project is funded.[/QUOTE]

This is very true, but I don't understand why they wouldn't increase the number of available consoles at 99? It seems like they would hit their goal faster this way.

Also, I don't think they mentioned that this would retail for $99. If they get enough for an initial production run, you would hope that they would either plan for more consoles to be sold, or that they would get some sort of external funding. Once that happens, the retail price could be more to the mass public who aren't aware of Kickstarter.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']Um I thought Android and iOS did that in general already?[/QUOTE]
Those developers don't have access to the living room currently. This is what ouya is targeted at.
Let’s open this sucker up! It's time we brought back innovation, experimentation, and creativity to the big screen. Let’s make the games less expensive to make, and less expensive to buy. With all our technological advancements, shouldn't costs be going down? Gaming could be cheaper!
We get it – smartphones and tablets are getting all the new titles – they're "what's hot.” The console market is pushing developers away. We’ve seen a brain drain: some of the best, most creative gamemakers are focused on mobile and social games because those platforms are more developer-friendly. And the ones who remain focused on console games can’t be as creative as they’d like.
Deep down, you know your best gaming memories happened in the living room.

You busted your ass just to find out the princess was "in another castle." You fought bosses that told you repeatedly how much "you suck." You taped a blanket to half of your screen so your friend couldn't see where you were. You traded the best players onto your team just so you could have the perfect season. And you did it all on the TV.

In for the $99 option. Woulda liked to have gotten in to the $95 dollar one but no big deal. I like supporting new devices so let's hope this goes to production.

[quote name='Xaliqen']The hardware looks pretty standard for the Android platform (there are already a number of Tegra 3 tablets). It would be pretty trivial in many cases to port games already developed for those devices over to this one.[/QUOTE]

But the games have to be free, so we're talking ad supported versions of Angry Birds, Where's My Water, etc. Just me personally, I don't see the appeal of any of those on the TV.

I play them on the phone with a touch screen (and I don't feel touch support on the controller will replicate that well). I just don't see a demand for Android mobile games on the TV so I would only be interested in other games this console might have. I mean if they managed to get something like Gamersgate Void on there then it would exponentially increase appeal. At the same time, I feel this is just a free version of Onlive. I just don't see any incentive for any devs to make really great free games or ad supported games for this console.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']The engadget article mentions that it has a standard SD card slot...[/QUOTE]

...but the kotaku article and the kickstarter page itself make no mention of an SD card slot, so I'd chalk that up to misinformation in the engadget article. With an upcoming crop of higher-end small tablets coming, like the Google Nexus 7, I'm not sure how well a device like this can cut it.

[quote name='chimpmeister']...but the kotaku article and the kickstarter page itself make no mention of an SD card slot, so I'd chalk that up to misinformation in the engadget article. With an upcoming crop of higher-end small tablets coming, like the Google Nexus 7, I'm not sure how well a device like this can cut it.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's trying to compete in the same market as tablets, just use similar hardware for easy game porting.

[quote name='htz']Those developers don't have access to the living room currently. This is what ouya is targeted at.[/QUOTE]

Actually they do already. There are a lot of tablets out there with mini-HDMI out. Last I checked that is only for a TV....

[quote name='MrshllJcb']In for the $99 option. Woulda liked to have gotten in to the $95 dollar one but no big deal. I like supporting new devices so let's hope this goes to production.[/QUOTE]

Yep. 100 bucks for another tinker toy :bouncy:

I threw $95 at it early this morning. It has a lot of potential and could be a fun device to tinker with.

[quote name='lwhitit']Yep. 100 bucks for another tinker toy :bouncy:[/QUOTE]
I didn't realize the controller had a touch face. I may pay the $100 just to tinker with that...

[quote name='lwhitit']Yep. 100 bucks for another tinker toy :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Exactly. That reminds me. I have an extra Onlive Microconsole that hasn't been used if anyone wants to make an offer. I think I opened it to take out the AA batteries and loaned it to a friend and was never actually hooked up.

[quote name='blcklblskt']The controller has a touch pad.[/QUOTE]

Eh, it helps, but I don't think a touchpad solves the problem. For something like fruit ninja, I couldn't see getting the precision needed without seeing the fruit on the surface I'm swiping on. Developers would still need to port their games to make use of the controller. Unless this sells big/enough, it just might not be worth their time.

That's kind of my problem with this...you design a game for the platform it's on. Not just talking controls, also talking gameplay. Most of tablet/phone gaming is gaming of convenience. You play it when you have short bursts of time, so gameplay is quick and game sessions can last a minute or two. How well will that really work in a sit-down living room environment?

[quote name='Saix_XIII']Actually they do already. There are a lot of tablets out there with mini-HDMI out. Last I checked that is only for a TV....[/QUOTE]
Please let me know where I can buy a tablet that has the same specs as the ouya for $100...
[quote name='Salamando3000']Eh, it helps, but I don't think a touchpad solves the problem. For something like fruit ninja, I couldn't see getting the precision needed without seeing the fruit on the surface I'm swiping on. Developers would still need to port their games to make use of the controller. Unless this sells big/enough, it just might not be worth their time.

That's kind of my problem with this...you design a game for the platform it's on. Not just talking controls, also talking gameplay. Most of tablet/phone gaming is gaming of convenience. You play it when you have short bursts of time, so gameplay is quick and game sessions can last a minute or two. How well will that really work in a sit-down living room environment?[/QUOTE]
I'm hoping for games like Journey(Jenova Chen supports the idea of ouya from a quote on the kickstarter page, here to hoping he might consider developing on it), Limbo, etc... on the ouya not just your average android game.

[quote name='wilflare']there's essentially no difference between the 95 and 99 option right?[/QUOTE]

aside from the $4 this is correct.

In for a $99 pledge. The concept is great and the console looks sexy as hell. Finally a current generation company that puts effort into aesthetics.

[quote name='Salamando3000']Eh, it helps, but I don't think a touchpad solves the problem. For something like fruit ninja, I couldn't see getting the precision needed without seeing the fruit on the surface I'm swiping on. Developers would still need to port their games to make use of the controller. Unless this sells big/enough, it just might not be worth their time.

That's kind of my problem with this...you design a game for the platform it's on. Not just talking controls, also talking gameplay. Most of tablet/phone gaming is gaming of convenience. You play it when you have short bursts of time, so gameplay is quick and game sessions can last a minute or two. How well will that really work in a sit-down living room environment?[/QUOTE]
Last time I checked Android had a vast and diverse market. A bunch of the games I've seen not sell well on android would be perfect for this sorta set up. For example ALL the old school rpgs that were over looked because the price was too high. Or a bunch of the shooter titles because of the awkward touch d-pad controls. I think there are plenty of existing apps that will transfer just fine. Many of the apps won't but that ok. If this think takes off I expect to see a lot of people develop games first for it and secondly for handheld markets. If they can get Google Play Store support so I buy it once and use it on all my devices this will be bigger than vita/PS3 cross support.

BAH! Talked myself into it already... I was going to wait, now I can't.

[quote name='htz']Please let me know where I can buy a tablet that has the same specs as the ouya for $100...

I'm hoping for games like Journey(Jenova Chen supports the idea of ouya from a quote on the kickstarter page, here to hoping he might consider developing on it), Limbo, etc... on the ouya not just your average android game.[/QUOTE]

Same exact price....no. But for $100 more you get the same exact specs but portable.

I am not saying this isn't worth the money, what I am saying is I don't see how this will revolutionize anything since the technology/market already exists.

In fact look at this.

And for the same price you can get a Acer Iconia A110 which has very similar specs and has HDMI out, usb port, and a microSD slot. So yes it's $100 more, but it has the same specs besides the controller, but it has a microSD slot if you need to expand the storage, plus it can be taken anywhere you want to game, not just at home.

Pledged my $99. This is great news for developers (or aspiring developers) since they'd have an easier time (in theory) to publish their games. Also, since the hardware specification will be relatively open it's a great opportunitty for people interested in making accessories. The official Android accessory SDK makes use of Arduino, which is an open platform as well (and relatively cheap) so basically anyone could start writing games/creating devices for this platform

[quote name='Saix_XIII']Same exact price....no. But for $100 more you get the same exact specs but portable.

I am not saying this isn't worth the money, what I am saying is I don't see how this will revolutionize anything since the technology/market already exists.

In fact look at this[/QUOTE]
Lowering the cost of entry to create games and having all consoles also act as dev kits I think is revolutionary. Not so much for the consumer but for $100 you get a decent cool looking game console, plus your making it possible for more talent to enter the gaming industry(Sounds BS but I believe this machine if successful could entice more people to become game developers). I'm sure not the only one who believes in this since in less than 4-5 hours they already have 2000+ pledges about to reach $300,000 with 29 days to go.

Really, I'm having a hard time justifying not buying it. Android box, fully customizable hardware, if nothing else that makes it a full fledged computer where I don't have to settle like the recent usb stick kinds.

I'm having a hard time believing that they can supply enough consoles for the masses with less than a million dollars. Seems fishy to me...

[quote name='Glomerate']I'm having a hard time believing that they can supply enough consoles for the masses with less than a million dollars. Seems fishy to me...[/QUOTE]
That Million is to off-set development costs. When it goes to retail the retail sales will cover the masses. (and it will likely cost more than $100 at retail)

bread's done
Back