Kickstarter: Ouya Video Game Console (Coming to Target, Amazon, GameStop, Best Buy)

I got one of the newer controllers with bigger button holes. You have to try pretty hard to get the buttons to stick. I'm hoping they'll send out a new right face plate to people with the first run controllers.

I kind of like the triggers, but I'm still not sure about the shoulder buttons. I'm not sure why they put them inward and right now its a little awkward.

...Yeah, the Ouya games right now all kind of suck, but hopefully that will change once we hit the official launch. They're pretty much all phone games, but the emulators make me happy.
Polarity is pretty sweet.

[quote name='KillerRamen']I got one of the newer controllers with bigger button holes. You have to try pretty hard to get the buttons to stick. I'm hoping they'll send out a new right face plate to people with the first run controllers.

I kind of like the triggers, but I'm still not sure about the shoulder buttons. I'm not sure why they put them inward and right now its a little awkward.

...Yeah, the Ouya games right now all kind of suck, but hopefully that will change once we hit the official launch. They're pretty much all phone games, but the emulators make me happy.
Polarity is pretty sweet.[/QUOTE]

I didn't know there was a change in the controller. Is it simply the plate that's changed? Or, are the buttons and things different? I wonder if I'd be able to open a support ticket with them or something...

Oh yeah, and the magnets. They're going to start using stronger magnets to hold it in place better. I don't know if they made that change yet or not, but one side is clearly much harder for me to get off than the other.

Anybody else feel like the Ouya is DOA with devices like this http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Tronsmart-MK908-Google-Android-4-1-Mini-PC-TV-Box-RK3188-Quad-Core-2G-8G-BT-Black-315155.html coming out. I own the MK808 and after I flashed Finless Rom I love the device. The 808 is dual core and runs Dead Trigger nicely at medium settings, soon as the 908 is available on Amazon I'll give it a try but it seems like it's benchmarking better than Ouya.

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally got the notice that my OUYA is on its way! I was patient, but even I was beginning to get a little worried. This is great news after the recent announcement of Unity's free Android exporter. I tested the Android building on my laptop today, and it works just fine. As soon as my OUYA gets here, I will be able to begin testing software immediately.

Got my Ouya earlier today and it's nice so far for not being at launch yet. I recognize quite a few names that are out right now as Minis, XBLIG, iOS, and Steam games, so that's a nice starting point. The menu UI needs some more work with things like a Download Queue, better sorting options, and a nice layer of polish to the look of the menus.

I had a pre-order in at amazon, but I ended up canceling it. I might pick one up from amazon warehouse deals if they show up there for cheap, though. I feel like this thing seemed a lot more promising when it was just talk. Now it just seems to be Android games on your TV. I'm having a hard time getting excited about that.

I got Plex along with some other stuff sideloaded, seems to work fine. I was able to get my USB drive working, thanks to the guys in this thread letting me know about NTFS formatting.

My biggest gripe so far is the lack of the ability to re-size the screen via the OUYA interface. I have the OUYA connected to my TV via my receiver, which also has other HDMI connections, so I don't want to re-size the screen via the TV settings, and would rather do it via the OUYA, but it seems to lack that ability (at least currently).

So what is the verdict on this?  Is it worth picking up to mess around with?  How easy is it to develop for?  I'm debating on picking this up for my kids for x-mas.

I still haven't gotten around to sitting down and figuring out how to make my Unity software work on it. This has been more a matter of how busy I've been with all my other projects, though. The process for exporting software for it is a bit more complex than I would prefer, but it isn't insurmountable for the technically proficient. It's probably beyond the scope of most children, though. If they can't already program, they aren't going to be producing any decent software for the OUYA.

If you are just looking for some manner of media box, pay the extra $100 for an XBox 360 or a PS3. Those can both be had for around $200, and the massive game libraries for both are just going to keep getting more and more affordable. While the OUYA is a fine experiment, the game selection for it isn't quite there yet. At the moment it is more for the extremely budget-minded, and as a play-thing for hobbyist developers.

If you are a tech-savvy game developer already, by all means pick one up. It is a very reasonably priced micro-computer that you can port software to. It's like a Raspberry PI with a more powerful processor.

Thanks for the reply.  We already have a PS3 & Wii U in the home.  This would mainly to let them get into the world of developing as they have both expressed a some interest in it.  They will spend more time creating their own levels in certain games then playing the games themselves.  I thought this might be the next step to where they might be able to take some basic ideas from concept to completion.  Granted they are only 9 & 11, so I'm not expecting them to create anything spectacular, just get their feet wet.

So what is the verdict on this? Is it worth picking up to mess around with? How easy is it to develop for? I'm debating on picking this up for my kids for x-mas.
I don't think it's worth picking up. I haven't used it for quite some time, but if your kids want to learn how to develop games then it's probably not a bad thing to mess with. To me the best thing about the system is the emulators.

...Also I noticed that the controllers have started to hit the clearance cycle at Best Buy.

I went ahead and picked one up.  Is it relatively easy to pair a PS3 controller with it?  I didn't grab a second OUYA controller due to reading a ton of complaints about them.

How do those of you who jumped on the Ouya KS feel about the Ouya 2? 

It seems like the Ouya was kind of a bust and outside of the OS improvements, there's stuff they can't really fix (under powered hardware, crap controller). With the announcement of a new version, it seems like they're gonna just abandon the Ouya. For $100 though, I guess it's closer to a cell phone model (upgrading every 1-2 years) than the traditional 4-5 year cycle for consoles. 

I wonder if they'll cut Ouya 1 backers some kind of a discount? :whistle2:k

I have no particular objection. It was obvious from very early on that this was the model they were pushing for, it really isn't a bait-and-switch scenario. And on the plus side, it is quite likely that all OUYA 1 games will be compatible with whatever the OUYA 2 ends up being. So development targeting the OUYA 1 can continue, much as it usually does for mobile development.

I kickstarted the OUYA knowing full well that it wasn't going to be some instant overnight success. I mainly wanted it to exist so that I would have a low-cost game development platform to use. A $100 game-focused piece of open hardware is very useful.

I just got an e-mail from OUYA giving me a $5 code, so you guys might want to check your spam filters. The code has to be redeemed this weekend, so it looks like I'll be turning on my OUYA for the first time in months.

It seems like the Ouya was kind of a bust and outside of the OS improvements, there's stuff they can't really fix (under powered hardware, crap controller). With the announcement of a new version, it seems like they're gonna just abandon the Ouya. For $100 though, I guess it's closer to a cell phone model (upgrading every 1-2 years) than the traditional 4-5 year cycle for consoles.

I wonder if they'll cut Ouya 1 backers some kind of a discount? :whistle2:k
It's been three months now and I still can't find anything about an Ouya 2, so what was this referring to?

I got the $5 code, so I'll have to get back on it and see what's going on. I believe they're also advertising more sales in their newsletters and seem to have a pretty good site to let you push game downloads to your device, which is nice to see.

It's been three months now and I still can't find anything about an Ouya 2, so what was this referring to?

I got the $5 code, so I'll have to get back on it and see what's going on. I believe they're also advertising more sales in their newsletters and seem to have a pretty good site to let you push game downloads to your device, which is nice to see.
A few months ago, Ouya's CEO said they were planning one for this year. I found this story here.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/81750/ouya-20-console-coming-next-year-new-controllers-stealthily-coming

I assumed that, because it was the CEO of Ouya said it, that there would be something more concrete by now but... nothing yet. :whistle2:k

I really wish they'd add native Wiimote support, with IR tracking ... I have an 'always on' USB sensor bar. I'd love to use it for pointing and clicking over the horrendous trackpad.

Anyone know of any good Ouya deal threads/sites? I got the $5 email also (plus the $13.37 from earlier) and it made me fire it up again, some really good games, some free ones to boot, are finally trickling in ... interested in some decent couch-MP games to play with the kids. Ice Rage was a lot of fun ... and for myself I'm thinking of picking up Reaper I just want to get it on sale. :)

Boy I'm glad I listened to my instinct and not jump on this.
As a general consumer, you probably made the right choice.

But as far as the industry is concerned, we all owe the OUYA a debt of gratitude. The enthusiasm surrounding the project, and the financial success of its Kickstarter campaign, helped to inspire confidence in the concept of small-scale set top boxes. Amazon's current push behind the Fire TV was likely influenced to some degree by the OUYA.

As far as commercial products are concerned, the Fire TV is most likely going to eat the OUYA's lunch. There's no doubt about that. I'm an OUYA Kickstarter, and even I am willing to admit it. The Fire TV has every possible advantage. Stronger, better-designed hardware, far more experience in UI design, a major content provider backing it both in terms of support and infrastructure, even a dedicated development team for the game side of things. Amazon is even being inherently clever in how they market and promote the Fire TV. They're bringing their A-game to this project, and it shows. Any general consumer would be well advised to pick up a Fire TV instead of an OUYA.

bread's done
Back