Kickstarter: Ouya Video Game Console (Coming to Target, Amazon, GameStop, Best Buy)

I expected the stock OS to be crap as described in that review.

When the custom ROMs come, they will likely make this thing shine.

Was not a fan of that review, overall I give it a 3.5/10. He picks on Yves design and rants on the letter choices used for the primary buttons, yet fails to mention the colors actually match the 360 controller he's obviously comparing it to as the norm, I'd hate to see how he'd review a Nintendo controller. How dare Nintendo change the format! :D

Anyone other backers receive their shipping info yet?

I'm backer #1,232 and I still haven't received any shipping info.

Got that email yesterday showing.the chart..they hope to ship them all by June. They had to change shippers to speed things up. I guess some early backers wouldn't have.gotten theirs on time. I'm 60--- so I know I'll get mine maybe the week.before retail launch. Way to go OUYA.

[quote name='6er']Got that email yesterday showing.the chart..they hope to ship them all by June. They had to change shippers to speed things up. I guess some early backers wouldn't have.gotten theirs on time. I'm 60--- so I know I'll get mine maybe the week.before retail launch. Way to go OUYA.[/QUOTE]

According to their chart mine should ship today at the latest, so I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm 61941. I think I pledged in the last 10 minutes or so...

Right now it very much looks like a beta. I'm ok with waiting mainly because it was a impulse buy and if it sucks I'll still have a nice little Netflix player for my kitchen TV. Hopefully it doesn't suck, but we'll see.

I do like that it can work as a development kit. I've always wanted to try to make a video game. I made one in high school in computer class, but it was just a basic little horizontal shooter. I made it work for my PC, but when I put in on my teacher's PC it went way too fast and he died in like a second. Apparently I somehow timed it based on the computer's processor speed. :lol:

Got my "Your OUYA has arrived at our distribution center" email this morning. Says I'll get a confirmation email with tracking number when it's picked up for delivery.

I'm somewhere in the 10,000 range. I have not received a shipping notice yet, so my OUYA has yet to be produced.

I'm not overly concerned, though. They have already begun shipping produced units. As of right now, they've managed to achieve what many people thought to be impossible. And I haven't begun in earnest to develop a game for the OUYA in particular. I could actually use a little help in that area.

What kind of game would you like to see me make for the OUYA? Right now I'm leaning toward a top-down action/RPG, along the same lines as the original Zelda. I like the exploration factor in games like that. I'm also going to be using Unity, and the built-in tools would make that style of game fairly easy.

[quote name='hollowfreak']Got my "Your OUYA has arrived at our distribution center" email this morning. Says I'll get a confirmation email with tracking number when it's picked up for delivery.[/QUOTE]

LUCKY, I still got nothing :lol:
Hopefully it comes before I leave for my internship :/

Well, I'm in the 42000s and just got a confirmation yesterday, so I guess going solely by numbers isn't the way to judge shipping.

Granted, I swiped one of the $95 early-birds after someone had dropped out. That might have something to do with it.

I got the "Your OUYA is on the move. (order 12XX)" email today with tracking number. Tracking link isn't active yet though says to wait 24-48hrs, looks like it's shipping from HK.

[quote name='Rig']Finally got the first email saying mine is on its way.[/QUOTE]

Same here, although they say it could still take 2 weeks to ship, and another 2 weeks of actual shipping time.

I have a feeling they will "ship" all of them before they hit retail shelves, but not everyone will actually have theirs in hand before they are available for the general public.

[quote name='hollowfreak']I got the "Your OUYA is on the move. (order 12XX)" email today with tracking number. Tracking link isn't active yet though says to wait 24-48hrs, looks like it's shipping from HK.[/QUOTE]

The tracking link still says ...
"No result found for your DHL query. Please try again."

I'm still waiting for shipping confirmation. Thankfully my overabundance of hobbies keeps me quite occupied in the meantime.

In other Ouya-news, it seems the launch date for the big commercial release is being pushed back to June 25th. The reason given is that they want to produce more units for their commercial partners. (retail) This could be good, as it indicates a strong demand from retail stores. At the same time, the end consumers are the ones who will ultimately be driving demand. It won't help anything if the retail chains stock too much initially.

Also, apparently the Ouya company has secured an additional 15 million dollars in funding. Not sure what that will mean in the long run.

I got my shipping confirmation and tracking number 2 days ago on the 8th but I can't track it yet. At least I know it's coming now.

They should put as much into marketing as possible so people know about it. People need to see it when they walk into an electronics section, not have to ask an employee like it's some kind of speakeasy.

"Excuse me, but do you know where I can find a YOUHA?"

I just got home to mine ... I replaced the thumbsticks with 360 ones before I even got the batteries in. :lol:

Absolutely hate the battery placement but it sure made replacing the thumbsticks easier. The left one pops right off the right one you have to push to the right and pull off, getting the replacement on the right one was a bit tough. Had to pull the 'stick' to the right with a wire to get the 360 one on.

[quote name='hollowfreak']I just got home to mine ... I replaced the thumbsticks with 360 ones before I even got the batteries in. :lol:

Absolutely hate the battery placement but it sure made replacing the thumbsticks easier. The left one pops right off the right one you have to push to the right and pull off, getting the replacement on the right one was a bit tough. Had to pull the 'stick' to the right with a wire to get the 360 one on.[/QUOTE]

Good to know, I have franken-controllers at home myself. My Ouya should be waiting for me when I get home today.

[quote name='keithp']I guess whoever put vaporware as a tag can take it off now.[/QUOTE]

Lol, I remember the convos got heated. Well, I do hope they can fix the menu system as it is a little laggy, also has anyone had issues getting it to connect to their wifi? I have 2 wifi access points and I could not get the Ouya to connect to either, one is strictly N and the other is legacy B-G-A. Both are WPA secured, maybe Ouya does not support WPA? Anyway had to run Ethernet to it, hallelujah hollaback.

Well, when I turned Ouya on today I was able to connect to one of my WiFi spots despite trying for 20 minutes yesterday to no avail.

Awwww, I still don't have mine. :whistle2:( I haven't even received the e-mail confirming shipment yet. And I've really wanted to begin development on it. I've learned enough about Unity programming in the past year that I'm feeling much more confident of throwing something together for the OUYA.

[quote name='soliddragon']Someone please let us know about the reported controller lag issues! I cancelled my preorder based on reports of the lag.[/QUOTE]
Hmm, I noticed some lag-like issues with certain games, mostly DubWars but it felt like game was the issue not the controller. That said the controller has it's issues, the battery compartment placement, the D-pad, and the "O" button sticks among other issues. I will also be replacing the analog sticks with that of an OG Xbox Duke controller as they are a little short for my man hands. Hopefully I can get the Amazon App store side-loaded and Dead Trigger, ShadowGun: Deadzone probably wont work since it's not mouse cursor friendly and requires some touchscreen input just to load game but I'll try anyways.

Well got Amazon App store side loaded and works fine though browsing is awkward with controller but functional. I recommend doing this since you can just easily access other apps from the store this way. Downloaded ES File Explorer and Dolphin Web Browser from Amazon app store while I was at it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ran Antutu Benchmark
IMG_20130518_074241_zpsd742a707.jpg

[quote name='hollowfreak']How's that stack up against other Android devices?

Mind telling a noob how to get on the Amazon App Store? :D[/QUOTE]

On par with other Tehran 3 devices. From Ouya splash screen go to "make","software", scroll to the planet earth tile its the browser, go to WWW.Amazon.com/getappstore, click "download the Amazon appstore" button. Go back to Ouya splash screen, click "manage", "system", "advanced", scroll down and click on "storage", scroll down and click on "downloads", click on "amazonapps-release.apk and install. You now have the Amazon app store and can use it to download and install apps. To get to non-Ouya apps including the Amazon app store go to the ouya splash screen, "make", "software" and you will find all apps there. Sorry for typos and what not, typed from my celly-cell

Just an FYI the amazon App Store stopped working right, if this happen with any app clear cache and data for said app and it should work fine.

Anyone been able to get a USB flash drive to register as storage on theirs? I can't get a USB flash drive (fat 32 format) to show up.

I also had some issues with the wifi initially but got it working after 20 or so mins.

Well apparently you can't use a USB flash drive yet, that is supposed to come later with an update.

Also, I cracked mine open to get as this supposed SD slot only to find there isn't such a slot. Oh well, no N64 for now unless I use dropbox or something similar to upload/download.

[quote name='waldo21212']Well apparently you can't use a USB flash drive yet, that is supposed to come later with an update.

Also, I cracked mine open to get as this supposed SD slot only to find there isn't such a slot. Oh well, no N64 for now unless I use dropbox or something similar to upload/download.[/QUOTE]

I'm still having some wifi issues, its forgotten the password twice now and I haven't looked closely at it yet to see where/if it has SD slot, thought it was suppose to have one.

I've finally started to play around with my OUYA. Being able to play internet radio while playing games is simple, but it still makes me happy.

[quote name='KillerRamen']I've finally started to play around with my OUYA. Being able to play internet radio while playing games is simple, but it still makes me happy.[/QUOTE]

I remember loving custom soundtracks on Project Gotham 2 on OG xbox and at some point I stopped caring on the X360.

USB flash drives works fine, but, they must be formatted NTFS.
Got the NES and N64 emulators going on mine; they run very well. Most of the OUYA games I've played are kinda crummy. I also like Internet radio while I play.

The controller for this thing is absolute garbage. The buttons stick like crazy, which is infuriating. The shoulder buttons aren't very good, either.
Thankfully, I can plug in my DS3 as a substitute. Can't seem to get it paired wirelessly though. I imagine somebody will figure that out.

bread's done
Back