Kickstarter: Ouya Video Game Console (Coming to Target, Amazon, GameStop, Best Buy)

Left for a few hours when it was at $460k, come back and its at well over a million with 29 days to go...I'd say this is going to happen. Also, every dime they have over, thats better features they can add to it. Do I think it will have it's own press conference at E3 next year, no. But is there a niche for it in the gaming community, absolutely. I'm hoping this thing does well.

[quote name='cancerman1120']Right and most of the pirating happens there. I will be interested in figuring out how "free games" will benefit a developer.

My nephews (11 and 15) have jailbroke iOS devices and never pay for any apps.[/QUOTE]

Piracy is a topical MacGuffin if you ask me, statistics point to more people than ever willing to pay for games at a decent price.

That's just my opinion, though, I guess we'll have to wait about 9 months for an answer in this case.

[quote name='cancerman1120']Right and most of the pirating happens there. I will be interested in figuring out how "free games" will benefit a developer.

My nephews (11 and 15) have jailbroke iOS devices and never pay for any apps.[/QUOTE]

Zynga seems to be doing well for itself for having all free-to-play games.

[quote name='blinknot4']This console will last absolutely not survive in this day and age. It does not matter that it's not a direct competitor with Sony or Microsoft.

Yes it has 8,000 backers - but beyond those folks it will not last long at all. It is very difficult for game companies (console, PC, or mobile) to be successful and stay successful today. Just look at the amount of studio closings and sales struggles over the past year.

Please don't be naive and think that this will actually be relevant beyond 'Teh haxxor' community. I give it a year post launch - at most.[/QUOTE]

Those are large studios closing because the cost of game development is too high. That's the beauty of this thing, it encourages the lone wolf indie programmer to create content and even gives small teams of weekend warriors an outlet.

My only concern is that they're using the 30% off the top system that Apple made standard. That 30% off the top isn't all that bad when you're talking $1-$5 games, but you're looking at a $6 charge on a $20 game. Hopefully they work out a decreasing charge for developers with popular game. The 30% fee is an archaic model from back in the days when digital distribution wasn't a proven model. 15-20% is much more reasonable, especially if OUYA is actively trying to cultivate a new community of developers. They need all the money they can get.

Also (unrelated to quoted text), the whole "free-game" thing: They're just requiring part of every game to be free, even if it's just a demo. They're certainly not suggesting all games should follow the F2P model that many MMOs have taken up.

[quote name='outphase']Zynga seems to be doing well for itself for having all free-to-play games.[/QUOTE]

Hahahahahah. As a developer with a game on the top grossing list, you are delusional if you think Zynga is doing well.

Well except that more and more these days it's the 360 version's torrent which pops-up first.

Having a closed system never stops pirates or hackers as is evident by the continual ban-waves on Xbox Live and in various 360 games not to mention the DRM cat-and-mouse game between pirates and Microsoft. (Sony contained pirates to certain firmware and Nintendo just plain gave-up entirely)

The open nature of something like this at least gives the users a way to see what the hackers are doing and devise solutions rather than rely completely on the developer/platform holder. And just think of all of the games on closed systems which get abandoned in terms of stopping hackers. (playing any Wii game online ever would be a good example with Gecko Codes and the like running rampant)

I don't understand all the concerns about cheating/pirating. That stuff will always exist regardless of how much something is locked down. It will be no more prevalent here than anywhere else. If anything, increased restrictions usually result in higher piracy.

[quote name='outphase']Zynga seems to be doing well for itself for having all free-to-play games.[/QUOTE]

What I meant is not F2P. I worded that poorly. Not all games on this system will be F2P model but rather a part will be free to try (demo really). I just do not see how you are going to control the ability to break those games and distribute them for free on a system like this. It is being done now and it will be rampant on a system like this. Look what they were able to do with the PS3. Basically ripping the games to the HD and being able to play them disc free. Some will say there was an altruistic reason for it but we all know this was used to obtain games for free.

I hate the shit Sony and MS pulls but there is some protection needed for an open source game console.

[quote name='cancerman1120']Look what they were able to do with the PS3. Basically ripping the games to the HD and being able to play them disc free. Some will say there was an altruistic reason for it but we all know this was used to obtain games for free.[/QUOTE]

Speak for yourself. This is the kind of logic that brands curious minds as dangerous by default. Where would the world be without curiosity? Curiosity is at the core of what it means to be a hacker.

If the console is $99 and an extra controller is $30, and then the next pledge gives you a system and 2 controllers etched for $225. If my math is right it is costing you $129 for a console and an extra controller.....and $94 worth of etching...:whistle2:k

This project will make a good amount over their goal. So we should expect at least a few decent stretch goals here being announced, for IMO it to be a good thing for early adopters.

[quote name='Xaliqen']Speak for yourself. This is the kind of logic that brands curious minds as dangerous by default. Where would the world be without curiosity? Curiosity is at the core of what it means to be a hacker.[/QUOTE]

I develop cancer drugs...I have plenty of curiosity. That does not give me the right to infringe upon the work of my competitor.

[quote name='cancerman1120']I develop cancer drugs...I have plenty of curiosity. That does not give me the right to infringe upon the work of my competitor.[/QUOTE]

You're assuming those who choose to hack (in the older meaning of the term) a console are pirates by default. I know many examples which counter that assumption. Many people choose to hack because they're curious, not because they wish to infringe upon the works of a competitor.

To put it simply, equating hacking with piracy is false.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Or encourage it. A lot of people miss the days of crazy cheats. I mean yes you will get games where you are playing a Halo like game and then you face an invincible opponet, but you will also get games where everyone is rocket jumping around the stage and doing crazy things that make it so much more interesting and fun. If you want to play with non cheaters you just make a few friends you can trust and play purely with them. Easy squeezy.[/QUOTE]
Remember old command and conquer, with the instantly unlocked boming run. Super weapon. Let your opponent build up a massive army,and all you have it barracks, airbase, and construction yard. He comes over with a massive army, you blow 99% of the map to dust, except for your one unit hiding in the far corner.

People will hack things in order to pirate them but in the end that's just piracy.

I'm far more interested in making devices do things which the manufacturers don't officially support and absolutely nothing I'm talking about infringes on any copyrights or the like. The tools, the apps, the operating systems, etc. = all freely available from the creators.

Right now I have my Kindle Fire partitioned with CM9 Nightlies and Jelly Bean that I'm building myself.

My interests with the OUYA involve similar outcomes of reworking internal storage partitions for use with running Ubuntu natively or turning it into a media center or a little bit of all that depending on how external storage is handled.

It's a $99 SFF PC which encourages me to hack it to bits basically.:whee:

I think most of us are pretty excited to see where this project is headed. I'm hopeful it'll help the Android platform.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if this is at cost? An extra controller is $30 yet they plan on having a touch screen on each controller. I think it would be awesome but it seems like it is not enough to cover the cost. I hope it is though.

Suckers, this will not live up to expectations. Too bad it'll take so long for people to actually get one, I can't wait to say told ya so. Go ahead and flame away, I know I'm right.

Interesting idea. I dont know how revolutionary it is given the existence of things like the Raspberry Pi and the Mele A1000. It seems the real draw will be the unified marketplace but I imagine if its successful enough, itll just show up on other devices.

From what I understand, $99 will be the retail anyway? So you're basically paying for the Founder tag. I just wonder if the controllers will be more than $30.

[quote name='cancerman1120']I wonder if this is at cost? An extra controller is $30 yet they plan on having a touch screen on each controller. I think it would be awesome but it seems like it is not enough to cover the cost. I hope it is though.[/QUOTE]

Touch Pad, not a Touch Screen.

If anything, I'd think they're selling this at a loss. This is essentially a Nexus 7 ($199) with no screen, battery, microphone, GPS, and other little gizmos, but includes a controller.

[quote name='Salamando3000']Touch Pad, not a Touch Screen.

If anything, I'd think they're selling this at a loss. This is essentially a Nexus 7 ($199) with no screen, battery, microphone, GPS, and other little gizmos, but includes a controller.[/QUOTE]

Ok that makes more sense. So a touch pad to play touch games on the tv vs. on an actual touch device? I would like to see a demo of that actually.

How is this revolutionary at all? Anyone with a desktop computer or the millions of android devices can already play "indie" games. The open development stuff, that is cool but only for a small minority, the average person who would want a game console does not care about something like developing or being able to program the console. Yeah there is some iOS and Android games that make good money but to be honest most of them suck. As to people saying how just cause of specs it will have better graphics than the Wii, that is ludicrous. It's always funny to hear someone with an Android device tell me how "it's actually better than Apple because it has higher specs". The specs don't matter, it's how you use them. Nintendo's Wii produced some amazing looking content, while I have yet to see anything of a Mario Galaxy, Brawl, or even New Super Mario Bros. caliber on any tablet/phone device with "good specs".

As for "indie games" they are nothing more than a developer's inflated ego shown through cutscenes, storytelling, and new grounds flash animation. I like INDEPENDENT games, but this whole "indie scene" is a complete joke. I know real, quality, non-gimmicky independent games can be developed. I dont care if it took 3 people or 500 people to make a game, I just want something that's fun and doesnt insult the player with tutorials and cutscenes. Lots of great games came from small teams, I dont understand why these developers feel the need to rely on stupid looking animals, animation, and Jr. High humor to sell their games. They always have these begging acts going "please support our small independent team" blah blah blah, the good independent developers dont try to put guilt or some gimmick on the consumers to get money.

Also, the average mobile phone game purchaser isn't going to want to spend more money on a new device to use controls when they can get the same experience on their phone. I love real controllers and despise touch controls personally, but most people dont care.

So, this platform is being designed specifically for "freemium" games, where revenue comes from in-game purchases, paid unlocks, and subscriptions. Isn't this exactly the business model that has been criticized in the mobile gaming space?

https://twitter.com/kickstarter/status/222811091036680192
^kickstarter just confirmed ouya is there 8th, million dollar project and the biggest first day project ever on the site.
icon14.gif

specs definitely don't make the system, that's absolutely true, but it helps a damn lot. PS2 was technically, by hardware, outclassed out the door by PCs easy and spent its career outclassed by the Gamecube and 360, but it still managed to look almost as good due to developers pushing hardware. 1GB of RAM is still plenty to run an operating system like Android, though we don't know how customized it'll be. worse, the timing is going to be a really big problem because Wayne (NVIDIA chip, Tegra 3/Kal-El's sequel) is out in half a year and its rehaul is heavy on the GPU. there's some definite problems that are going to be seen, known, and difficult to overcome from a hardware perspective.

with that said, the indie game scene isn't one i'd compare with movies. on that level, games are simpler to make and enjoy, with less problems, people, and issues. it's a saturated market, especially with all the bundles, but there's some real, legitimate quality in there in sizable quantities that can appeal to just about anyone. we know that smaller devs can, and have, created a lot of impressive games and the idea is that there are more out there worth reaching, especially if they're doing games that aren't regulated to phone/tablet design, but focused more on a desktop (which tablets will also double for as that market gets absorbed into laptops and phones). nobody's investing in this thing to play Angry Birds on their TV, they want some games that don't insult the player or are these 2 minute and put down games. it's something that developers are interseted in, but there's no clear market for it; tablets? not there yet, ask again when the x86 architecture laptop/tablet hybrids (in that order) are out. phones? that's a joke, right?

but this? this shows what a lot of people want.
you CAN make a successful game like this for Android. if for no other reason, there's a successful system behind it and people will want it. the project makes it pretty clear that they want to bring console gaming (hell, handheld) to the system.

[quote name='cancerman1120']Ok that makes more sense. So a touch pad to play touch games on the tv vs. on an actual touch device? I would like to see a demo of that actually.[/QUOTE]

In theory, should work like it sounds. Press the upper left of the touchpad, it corresponds to a "touch" on the upper left of your TV. Given they're fitting this on the controller, it can't be that big, so the precision can't be that good. Might be good for clicking quadrants or gestures.

[quote name='pholly']Suckers, this will not live up to expectations. Too bad it'll take so long for people to actually get one, I can't wait to say told ya so. Go ahead and flame away, I know I'm right.[/QUOTE]

No reason to flame, your opinion is a valid one your attitude though is less than desirable.

[quote name='meta460085']No reason to flame, your opinion is a valid one your attitude though is less than desirable.[/QUOTE]

Well said, and really for $99 it's not a huge investment even compared to a tablet, if I was aware would have thrown in today. The cost seems like a small risk compared to the potential of the device.

[quote name='RedFoxCommando']I bit, I'm a backer at $99. Whether it succeeds or fails, I feel like $99 is low risk and high reward.[/QUOTE]

Yea worst case scenario we'll end up with another Netflix box and local media streaming device

My experience with my touchpad leads me to believe as long as we get a functioning piece of hardware, someone out there will get the software part working.

yeah, $99 really isn't that bad. i jumped on that hp touchpad for $150 or so last year and havnt even touched it yet... damn my backlog! damn you cag! etc rage! lol

[quote name='Salamando3000']In theory, should work like it sounds. Press the upper left of the touchpad, it corresponds to a "touch" on the upper left of your TV. Given they're fitting this on the controller, it can't be that big, so the precision can't be that good. Might be good for clicking quadrants or gestures.[/QUOTE]

When I saw the video, I noticed how the top of the controller is completely flat and thought it looked ridiculous. I guess it makes sense if that's the touchpad area, though.

[quote name='Velo214']yeah, $99 really isn't that bad. i jumped on that hp touchpad for $150 or so last year and havnt even touched it yet... damn my backlog! damn you cag! etc rage! lol[/QUOTE]

#FirstWorldProblems lol

[quote name='Monkeydrummer']When I saw the video, I noticed how the top of the controller is completely flat and thought it looked ridiculous. I guess it makes sense if that's the touchpad area, though.[/QUOTE]

One thing i noticed is that the 4 face buttons, 3 of them are on the same flat plane, but the rightmost one is like at a 30 degree angle moving to the contour of the controller, not too good of an idea IMO.

the $99 tier is almost full again.... will they add another 5000 again? hehe! Was nice to experience the hype of this project at kickstarter. Hope they give more details like more pictures and demos to sway me some more to backing.

How long till they get started on the Ouya portable? Hope this pans out so we can get a proper android portable gaming device with sticks and all.

if you're on the fence, one fact that ISN'T being said nearly enough is this: Steam is going to Linux before the year's end.

so even if:
- the project is delayed to the point where the tech is considered last gen.
- the goal of the machine fails spectacularly and proves "why gamers don't know the industry."
- the system ends up fielding a terribly optimized version of Android.

...you still just need to root it, put the custom rom you want or ubuntu on it. from either angle there you've got all the emulators you want, while from the Linux angle you've got Steam.

for $100, that's really not at all bad.

bread's done
Back