Kickstarter: Ouya Video Game Console (Coming to Target, Amazon, GameStop, Best Buy)

[quote name='CAGkrazy']the $99 tier is almost full again.... will they add another 5000 again? hehe! Was nice to experience the hype of this project at kickstarter. Hope they give more details like more pictures and demos to sway me some more to backing.[/QUOTE]

It think as long as they believe they can sell them for $99 (or at least produce them) they will add more units. I guess it depends on if they want to actually make money on these up front.

[quote name='DarkZero104']if you're on the fence, one fact that ISN'T being said nearly enough is this: Steam is going to Linux before the year's end.

so even if:
- the project is delayed to the point where the tech is considered last gen.
- the goal of the machine fails spectacularly and proves "why gamers don't know the industry."
- the system ends up fielding a terribly optimized version of Android.

...you still just need to root it, put the custom rom you want or ubuntu on it. from either angle there you've got all the emulators you want, while from the Linux angle you've got Steam.

for $100, that's really not at all bad.[/QUOTE]

That'd be cool but don't thing Ubuntu supports Tegra chips, though I might be wrong.

[quote name='cancerman1120']It think as long as they believe they can sell them for $99 (or at least produce them) they will add more units. I guess it depends on if they want to actually make money on these up front.[/QUOTE]

Maybe they're not trying to make money, maybe they're just trying to disrupt the establishment to make a point and we're all a part of the experiment. Either way I'm very intrigued.

[quote name='DarkZero104']if you're on the fence, one fact that ISN'T being said nearly enough is this: Steam is going to Linux before the year's end.

so even if:
- the goal of the machine fails spectacularly and proves "why gamers don't know the industry."

...you still just need to root it, put the custom rom you want or ubuntu on it. from either angle there you've got all the emulators you want, while from the Linux angle you've got Steam.

Definitely in terms of what you gget for the price it's a good deal, but another factor is the kickstarter site. I know lots of people on here know the flaws associated with it, but just cause you fund something doesn't mean you are guaranteed the product. This thing my never enter production and people might be screwed out of it. That is very unlikely but it is a possibility and they would not have to return any money, this differentiates it from a "preorder." What also differentiates it is that of course the product does not even exist yet. This is partially a gamble, putting in 100$ and hoping that in under a year you will receive a product. I just hope no one gets screwed over, I've heard lots of bad things about VG kickstarter projects that never fulfilled their promises.

David Abrams ‏@CheapyD I guess I'm in the minority in that I'm really not excited about nor interested in OUYA at this point.

I guess CheapyD not sold yet.

[quote name='cancerman1120']David Abrams ‏@CheapyD I guess I'm in the minority in that I'm really not excited about nor interested in OUYA at this point.

I guess CheapyD not sold yet.[/QUOTE]

Well, yea, because if this catches on, his income falls.

[quote name='cancerman1120']David Abrams ‏@CheapyD I guess I'm in the minority in that I'm really not excited about nor interested in OUYA at this point.

Cheapy just got his new PC, he's still in his honeymoon with it lol.

Looking at the video again, some of the concept drawings look a little like the touchpad might be in the center top front of the controller, above the logo and middle button. If so, it seems like your hand would hit the right analog stick while trying to use the touchpad.

Anyways, I don't know and I'm guessing they're probably getting a lot of the same questions from review sites as they are from backers, so hopefully they will post some more answers soon.

I'm interested, but I'm also interested in the Nexus 7 for just a little bit more money. Even though they're two different things, I always go into that mode where I think I should pay a little more for something I would probably use more often. Last time it was lost interest in a Kindle Fire because the Vita was just a little more but would play better games and run some basic apps. It always ends up with me not being able to decide and not buying anything. lol

[quote name='mrsilkunderwear']I just realized they wont ship till 2013, wont there be a tegra 4 by then?[/QUOTE]

this is a problem. depending on when they release, it could be Tegra *5*
Tegra 3, Kal-El, was a CPU increase more than anything else. the GPU was improved upon sure, but not to such a dramatic point.

"Tegra 4", Wayne, is the sequel. it's out right now theoretically Q1 2013. that's the major GPU rehaul. DirectX11, OpenGL 4.x, PhysX - 3 major components for graphics that NVIDIA has, with the last being just their own. that'll be the real limit on the hardware. and *that* has a successor due Q3 2013 (Grey). so yeah, it's a problem. same for the 1GB RAM, there are phones with 2GB out now. by no means are the specs bad, they just aren't going to be the latest and greatest when this thing releases.

As for Ubuntu on Tegra, it's been doable since the 2nd sometime last year. Tegra 3 did pretty well with it even.
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTA3MjQ

This is not a fair comparison but to give perspective on these #s the Xbox 360 has sold roughly 25,000 units a day for 2,700 days straight. This is a great thing but we are at half that many units today. And day one of the 360 it sold 325,000 units.

so even if:

I love Linux (typing from one of my Ubuntu boxes at the moment), and running Ubuntu should be very easy to do on Ouya.

Nevertheless, let's not get out of hand. It's very likely you'll be able to access the Android version of Steam from Google's Play Store on the Ouya. There are currently no downloadable titles for Android on the Steam app (hopefully someday?), so you'll be accessing the store itself and community features.

Valve porting Steam to Linux is a huge deal (and very exciting for those of us dreaming of something like this for years), but I don't believe it's confirmed whether Valve is compiling a version for ARM-based/Tegra processors, etc. In other words, unless there's an indication to the contrary, it would be safer to assume Valve is targeting i386 and/or x86-64 packages for the Steam Linux release.

I wouldn't be surprised if Valve announces downloadable games for the mobile market (both Android and iOS), but that hasn't happened yet. ;)

Edit: Correcting my basic word-mix-up there. Yeah, time to get some sleep. :)

[quote name='Monkeydrummer']Looking at the video again, some of the concept drawings look a little like the touchpad might be in the center top front of the controller, above the logo and middle button. If so, it seems like your hand would hit the right analog stick while trying to use the touchpad.

Anyways, I don't know and I'm guessing they're probably getting a lot of the same questions from review sites as they are from backers, so hopefully they will post some more answers soon.

I'm interested, but I'm also interested in the Nexus 7 for just a little bit more money. Even though they're two different things, I always go into that mode where I think I should pay a little more for something I would probably use more often. Last time it was lost interest in a Kindle Fire because the Vita was just a little more but would play better games and run some basic apps. It always ends up with me not being able to decide and not buying anything. lol[/QUOTE]

I liked Shadowgun but hated the touchscreen controls, hacked around and played it with my dualshock3 and went HDMI from phone to TV. Ouya gives me the ability to play these type of games with a controller. As for Nexus 7 I wish they'd included HDMI out, if they did I would have jumped on it.

[quote name='Xaliqen']I love Linux (typing from one of my Ubuntu boxes at the moment), and running Ubuntu should be very easy to do on Ouya.

Nevertheless, let's not get out of hand. It's very likely you'll be able to access the Android version of Steam from Google's Play Store on the Ouya. There are currently no downloadable titles for Android on the Steam app (hopefully someday?), so you'll be accessing the store itself and community features.

Steam porting Android to Linux is a huge deal (and very exciting for those of us dreaming of something like this for years), but I don't believe it's confirmed whether Valve is compiling a version for ARM-based/Tegra processors, etc. In other words, unless there's an indication to the contrary, it would be safer to assume Valve is targeting i386 and/or x86-64 packages for the Steam Linux release.

I wouldn't be surprised if Valve announces downloadable games for the mobile market (both Android and iOS), but that hasn't happened yet. ;)[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I now have a boner ;-)

The $699 early SDK tier is about to be sold out, that means we will have at least 200 developers working on the console 3 months ahead of release plus the 26 who pledged $1337.

[quote name='Velo214']they just added 10,000 spots for backers at the $99 level[/QUOTE]

They need to add to the #225 level...that sold out also.

Also, I wonder how they will prioritize gamertag selection?

[quote name='Nesboy43']Definitely in terms of what you gget for the price it's a good deal, but another factor is the kickstarter site. I know lots of people on here know the flaws associated with it, but just cause you fund something doesn't mean you are guaranteed the product. This thing my never enter production and people might be screwed out of it. That is very unlikely but it is a possibility and they would not have to return any money, this differentiates it from a "preorder." What also differentiates it is that of course the product does not even exist yet. This is partially a gamble, putting in 100$ and hoping that in under a year you will receive a product. I just hope no one gets screwed over, I've heard lots of bad things about VG kickstarter projects that never fulfilled their promises.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't exist in mass production, but from what they are saying, they basically have a functioning prototype. Getting mass production is really expensive, and for whatever reason they are had problems attracting financial backers to invest to help get the thing built.

If they do get these things built and get a user base, I can see venture capitalist $ coming in to back the store function part of this.

I do agree it's a gamble, and we may lose out. But I understand why they are doing it at least. Getting physical material manufactured is expensive. You won't see me backing any software that is digital distribution though, since I won't fund development costs like that. If you get a physical copy that's different IMO since again, psychical materials aren't easy to get mass produced.

[quote name='htz']The $699 early SDK tier is about to be sold out, that means we will have at least 200 developers working on the console 3 months ahead of release plus the 26 who pledged $1337.[/QUOTE]

Or 200 people who don't know what the hell they're doing :)

I'll betting on this being the first big Kickstarter bust. A bunch of monies and no console...

If not, I'll purchase one when it retails and continue earning interest on my money. :)

[quote name='Nesboy43']Or 200 people who don't know what the hell they're doing :)[/QUOTE]

I'm still damn curious what their SDK provides that the standard Android SDK doesn't...

[quote name='Velo214']interest on your $99? lol. what is that money market or something? idk

also, yeah, you mf'ers better not steal my Velo214 tag! lol[/QUOTE]
Pfft... my checking account has 0.1% interest. I'll have $99.01 by the time this launches! Nanner Nanner!

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Holy crap a million already?[/QUOTE]
At the rate they are going by 9AM EST which is by then 24 hours they will be close to 3 million.

[quote name='Velo214']interest on your $99? lol. what is that money market or something? idk

also, yeah, you mf'ers better not steal my Velo214 tag! lol[/QUOTE]

Since Cheapy ain't interested I've got dibs on CheapyD gamertag lol

In for one! I'm curious enough to hold a spot. I'll keep my pledge based on what they reveal or not in the next month. Since their console body seems to change between pictures and their UI video is 23 seconds I hope they can nail some unknowns down before the end of KS. Also curious what external ports are on the box. I don't want to have to open the body to put the flash card in there.

If it was an Apple product, we all know it would be a different story...

[quote name='4thHorseman']If it was an Apple product, we all know it would be a different story...[/QUOTE]

I am not excited either, and the only apple product I own is an iPad.

[quote name='4thHorseman']If it was an Apple product, we all know it would be a different story...[/QUOTE]

Maybe this will nudge Apple into the console market...

...though something missed in all this, probably because we don't know the specifics, is that you ARE told that the hardware can be upgraded.

it's not understood exactly how yet, but that too is customizable.

A Tegra 3 running Ice Cream Sandwich? Holy hell - I think i have to, at least, plunk down a benjamin for this. I can already connect a ps3 or Wii controller to my tablet and phone, so I'd have to expect to do the same with an android box. I'm sure by the time they produce and distribute, jelly bean will be the installed OS.

And considering the whole point of this website was to "stick it to the man" and not pay his $50 price tag for games, I'm disheartened by CheapyD's flippant dismissal of this concept. Something like this could undermine the collusion that's been taking place between game manufacturers with game prices for the last 30+ years and bring game prices down considerably. And, it could result in more choices for all gamers.

[quote name='DurbanBrown']this went really fast[/QUOTE]
zGhvI.jpg

[quote name='acdcrocks1980']My question is how are they selling this for $100. This seems way to cheap for what they are offering with it.[/QUOTE]

If I had to guess...sell it at a loss, make the real profit off of the marketplace. Thinking Ouya will have it's own marketplace apart from Google's Play thing, and they'll take their own cut out of profits. The Ouya CEO's history is all in Digital Distribution.

on the kickstarter it says they'll split revenue, yes. 70% to dev, so i assume 30% them. i don't think they're selling it at a loss either, but it's possible. based off of the Nexus 7, it's entirely likely that it's being sold at cost. that controller though... i'm not sure how that one can be sold for so little.

but yeah, you can open the hardware fine, they promote physical modding of the machine and will even tell you what's what on the circuit board. entirely open there, so if you wanted to add more RAM, you probably *could.* the insides are gonna be really interesting to find out.

[quote name='DarkZero104']on the kickstarter it says they'll split revenue, yes. 70% to dev, so i assume 30% them. i don't think they're selling it at a loss either, but it's possible. based off of the Nexus 7, it's entirely likely that it's being sold at cost. that controller though... i'm not sure how that one can be sold for so little.

but yeah, you can open the hardware fine, they promote physical modding of the machine and will even tell you what's what on the circuit board. entirely open there, so if you wanted to add more RAM, you probably *could.* the insides are gonna be really interesting to find out.[/QUOTE]
Even though the internal specs are similar to the nexus 7 tablet, it doesn't contain a battery, touch screen, GPS, camera, and some other stuff that reduce its cost. The console itself is slated to be the size of a rubix cube. The controller probably doesn't cost much either seeing how the big 3 tends to look towards making most of its profit off accessories/software.
Have at it: It's easy to root (and rooting won't void your warranty). Everything opens with standard screws. Hardware hackers can create their own peripherals, and connect via USB or Bluetooth. You want our hardware design? Let us know. We might just give it to you. Surprise us!

P.S. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...eo-game-console#AndHowFarAlonAreYouInBuilOuya
^Ouya has posted a ton of new FAQ.

I went for one. I have a terrible feeling this could be that huge money project that amounts to nothing and knocks Kickstarter into oblivion (It's bound to happen sooner or later) but the idea is too good not to risk a hundred bucks.

If they can produce some awesome original unique experiences I'll happily plunk down $100. But you expect a certain level of presentation with something you hook up to your TV, and if all this does is provide home versions of mobile games I'm not seeing it doing too well.

[quote name='htz']Even though the internal specs are similar to the nexus 7 tablet, it doesn't contain a battery, touch screen, GPS, camera, and some other stuff that reduce its cost. The console itself is slated to be the size of a rubix cube. The controller probably doesn't cost much either seeing how the big 3 tends to look towards making most of its profit off accessories/software.[/QUOTE]

But it does include a controller, which they value at $30. That, obviously, increases the cost of the console. Following their numbers, the console itself costs $70-$80. Given the Nexus 7 sells for $200, even with the stuff this doesn't have....well, there's enough room for doubt that they'll make a profit on each unit, imo.

[quote name='Erad30']If they can produce some awesome original unique experiences I'll happily plunk down $100. But you expect a certain level of presentation with something you hook up to your TV, and if all this does is provide home versions of mobile games I'm not seeing it doing too well.[/QUOTE]
We’re already talking to folks like InXile, Owlchemy Labs, Semi Secret, Storm8, Spry Fox, Madfinger Games, Trendy Entertainment, Happion Labs, Mojang, Jordan Mechner, and thatgamecompany.
They already got thatgamecompany on board, I'm already feel the investment is worth it.

bread's done
Back