Killzone 2 - Gen. Discussion & Info

I dedicated (way too much) time to this over the weekend and have been leveling up in MP and all the new classes add so much more to the gameplay already. I think I'm pissing off tons of people by boosting and punching them out and I've been able to get the seek and destroy bombs planted this way. Only thing I'm not any good at is the propaganda.. I have yet to cap one so I have to work on that.

haha yeah assault with boost is a good way to get bombs planted. People stand there shooting you but you just won't die. lol

I need all 8 melee ribbons and 3 or 4 more air support ribbons for everything. I'm not sure how I managed to get the air support ribbons I have. Long games and throwing them by search and destroy targets mostly I think.

[quote name='HowStern']haha yeah assault with boost is a good way to get bombs planted. People stand there shooting you but you just won't die. lol

I need all 8 melee ribbons and 3 or 4 more air support ribbons for everything. I'm not sure how I managed to get the air support ribbons I have. Long games and throwing them by search and destroy targets mostly I think.[/quote]

I noticed immediately that the assualt weapons sour the experience, I think keeping the class but with pistol only is still pretty fair. But assault with boost is an absolute monster for planting/removing bombs. I was doing a round on Vekta and I had to be on the absolute worst team ever. I single handedly had to plant the spawn grenades and set up the bombs by myself. Our teams were tied and the guy who was the assassination target on our team decided to run to the other teams base for who knows what reason. Another round there was a guy placing spawn grenades in the 'nest' in Radec so he could snipe even though it's not far at all from base (and not that clever to stay in the same place to snipe the whole map either). I guess some people will just do whatever they want.

I'm getting the 'not correct rank' to join a lot of the servers now and when I do join, everyone usually has stars in their ranking so I'm getting up there. It's nice to get 4-5 ribbons on each round of play now when I used to be lucky to see one at all.

Surprisingly, I haven't touched the multiplayer yet, but I'm inches away from beating the game on Elite. Playing without a cross-hair most of the time seems to make you a better player in general, if you can stand it.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I'm down for a melee match anytime if people need help with that...

the one that I can't seem to get are the area control ribbons... >_

Playing the game on Elite makes me never want to touch the game again. Amazing how you guys can go through it.

Count me in for a melee match!

[quote name='Invin']Playing the game on Elite makes me never want to touch the game again. Amazing how you guys can go through it.

Count me in for a melee match![/quote]

I'm honestly a little scared to try. If I manage to sink enough time in to get the top % ribbons this week, I'll have no choice but to go for platinum and beating every level on easy without dying was a chore here and there ;)

[quote name='HuppSav']Why do people ruin the game by using the rocket launcher on the smallest maps?[/quote]
If I didn't know your PSN id I'd ask if you were playing with me last night. :lol:

[quote name='Invin']Playing the game on Elite makes me never want to touch the game again. Amazing how you guys can go through it.

Count me in for a melee match![/quote]

Eh, I played on Veteran the 1st time through and there were some pretty unforgivable sequences. By the time you finish the game once, you learn a lot about each level and the best way to approach each section. Honestly, there were parts of the game which took me forever on veteran that I breezed through on Elite, much to my surprise. I hope to have Radec beat by the end of the week, but that last fight in the palace is ridiculous.

Got an email about the next map pack, called "Flash and Thunder," with details on pricing and release date along with descriptions of the two maps that are included:
As we hinted way back at GDC, the second DLC pack for Killzone 2 will be a "retro" level pack arriving to the PS Store on June 11th for $5.99 and we are here to give you a sneak peek as to what you can expect.

Once again we are taking a nostalgic journey back to the original Killzone by providing you two new levels in a pack Guerrilla Games has called "Flash and Thunder". The two levels are odes to the Beach Head and Southern Hills levels from the first Killzone. Both are fan favorites from the first game, but have been re-envisioned with Killzone 2's engine and overall technology. The levels also offer a unique twist that will truly keep players on their toes, so watch out for an explosive gameplay element that will have you running for cover...or risk a quick death.

In the Beach Head map, the ISA must defend their stronghold after the Helghast land on the sandy Vektan beaches. As torrential rain and gale-force winds batter the landscape, the relatively small size of the level creates a frantic hand-to-hand battleground, with the water filled craters supplying only limited cover. Picking your way across the harsh terrain, you will find many opportunities to sneak up on the enemy and take them down at close range. And if you’re able to get to them in one piece, there are also lots of higher ground sniper spots to explore…

In the Southern Hills map, the battle takes place around a central Helghast base on top of a hill. The compound is surrounded by smaller structures, creating a level that facilitates close-quarter fights within the built-up areas, as well as long-range shoot-outs in-between them. Ideal for 24 to 32 player games, the base camps in this version have been beefed up considerably, so expect to find more hiding places than in the original Killzone counterpart

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the trailer for the new map pack.

And yes, in Southern Hills, every 5 minutes a bomb goes off in which you need to find cover. I really wish they would stop adding these gimics to the new maps.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I wanna play it on Elite at some point but shooting for the no death trophy first.[/QUOTE]
Go for both at the same time :lol:

Yeah right like I will do both at once >_<

I still don't know if I'll shoot for trying to get into the top weekly stuff... I have more important stuff to do than play this, but this is the one game I'd love to have a platinum in.

on that note, if anyone ever wants to have a go at getting melee badges let me know, I need them.

Joined a melee/airbot game last night. I need 2 more airbot and 7 more melee. I only got one melee ribbon in the game. Everyone kept using pistols it was ridiculous.

I also don't understand something. If I get 30 melee kills in a game, do I only get one ribbon? Or do they stack so I will get 3? I could have sworn I got more than 10 melee kills in the game last night.

I'm pretty sure they don't stack. I get over 20 kills for pistol games all the time but only get 1 ribbon. I've managed to get 4 or 5 turret ribbons. I'm having a hard time getting the rest. Recently, every game I'm in, HALF of my team has taken all the high/good spots. They're all snipers :wall:

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']If anything go for the airbot ones or melee ones first since those are the hardest. Turrets are easy, it's just a matter of learning to use them correctly.[/QUOTE]

Gotcha, I can't seem to place the turrets in a good enough spot or I fall short of the 5 kills, or other turrets are up and I can get mine up enough, etc.. I'll just have to keep plugging away on it. I have not been playing the game as much anymore so leveling up has been slow for me.

Which is fine because, I don't get burned out on the game and it lasts me longer. I'll have to go though the single player portion again to get some of the trophies.

[quote name='js1']Gotcha, I can't seem to place the turrets in a good enough spot or I fall short of the 5 kills, or other turrets are up and I can get mine up enough, etc.. I'll just have to keep plugging away on it. I have not been playing the game as much anymore so leveling up has been slow for me.

Which is fine because, I don't get burned out on the game and it lasts me longer. I'll have to go though the single player portion again to get some of the trophies.[/QUOTE]

usually medium larger, or just medium sized rooms make being an engineer easier since u usually have the turrets to yourself.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']usually medium larger, or just medium sized rooms make being an engineer easier since u usually have the turrets to yourself.[/QUOTE]

Cool, I'll try that.

I've found that the "long" games are usually a good way to harvest badges/points. NOT the most efficient, but good. Devote a good hour or so and you can get pretty much any of them you want in one run. I'm never sure when I get X kills cloaked or disguised so I tend to go overboard with em, but it's the best way to get airbot badges without using 'alternative' methods.

Yeah the way I use to do it was join a long game, setup turrets, switch to another class I need badges on, do their stuff, switch back to engineer to do turrets, etc... just multitask. strangely I've found teams with players who do so usually win.

If anybody is going to set up another Melee/Airbots game, I'd be grateful for a PM/PSN message (at JosephWhiteiii) with a time and stuff. I'd love to help out and get mine as well. :)

On a different note, I'm looking forward to the new map pack, but I hope more people buy it since it's "vintage Killzone" stuff. Not a lot of people playing Steel and Titanium.

The new map packs are really good so I'm sad most didn't get it. I do understand the hesitation though, but if you can get past that it's worth it.

Also this rocks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_OjMrBFKKs

awesome work GGs

I love how transparent they are about all their work. All their dev blogs are super interesting and great to watch with video examples.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they do a deal for all four maps, I'll probably pick them up. The Beachead was my favourite map from KZ1, although I never played it online. The new versions look nothing like the originals, which were quite bright. They look like they've just completely redesigned them from top to bottom and just used the names from the first game. No complaints here though.

I was struggling with the Turret badge until I read rolento's guide. You should check it out. Placing turrets in high spots is best. I found the two best maps were Radec overlooking the courtyard and Corrinth crossing. On CC I got the best results by placing the turrets in the bottom level, middle of the map on the iron girders that join the two sides of the map. Jumping the barrier onto the beams means that they don't normally get fragged by grenades as they're above floor level.

I'm struggling with my cloak badge at the moment. Too many people must have spot and mark.

Overall, I've decided to switch to smaller games 12-20 ish players. I find them a lot less frantic and the people playing them seem far more interested in playing the game with good strategy rather than running around blasting randoms. I was getting so annoyed with Assasination targets running against the enemy just looking for another couple of killpoints. 'Tards.

[quote name='js1']Gotcha, I can't seem to place the turrets in a good enough spot or I fall short of the 5 kills, or other turrets are up and I can get mine up enough, etc.. I'll just have to keep plugging away on it. I have not been playing the game as much anymore so leveling up has been slow for me.

Which is fine because, I don't get burned out on the game and it lasts me longer. I'll have to go though the single player portion again to get some of the trophies.[/QUOTE]

If you have the new maps, try Wasteland Bullet. I got all my turret badges fairly easily on this map. Just run forward out of the spawn point to the next car, and place a turret at the top of the ramp to the other side of the map. Keep 1 (or better, 2) turrets there the whole game, and you'll get 5 kills pretty easily.

[quote name='ma']If you have the new maps, try Wasteland Bullet. I got all my turret badges fairly easily on this map. Just run forward out of the spawn point to the next car, and place a turret at the top of the ramp to the other side of the map. Keep 1 (or better, 2) turrets there the whole game, and you'll get 5 kills pretty easily.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'll try that.

Yo guys, I am late on the train but I got KZ2 the other day and am enjoying the multiplayer intensely. I have one more rank until I get the Engineer class.

I just remembered from all the podcasts I listen to that the map pack just came out recently. Is it extremely popular? I am able to play on several non mappack servers but was just wondering how many servers I am not seeing because of the expansion.

I am a little frustrated that you can't individually map keys in the game...unless I am mistaken. Also if anyone recommends any hint sites that would be great.

Does SCEA host servers?

Does anyone else have the issue where your sound fades away? I think it might be because I'm using the cloak to long/often. But after a while I can't hear anything but the "hum" of the cloak when it is on and even when it is off. I can still hear my own gun firing but not others. So I'll be getting shot at and not know it until someone pings me and I wonder why my controller is shaking and the screen is getting bloody. REALLY annoying. All I can hear is that and the ambient sounds of the level.

I think it might have to do with the cloak since it didn't happen when I was playing a medic, though I could be wrong. This has been happening for a long time... Wonder if my inputs are set up wrong on the system itself of what. But for the sniper class sound is really important and this is messing up my rounds still. :roll:

[quote name='NamPaehc']Does anyone else have the issue where your sound fades away? I think it might be because I'm using the cloak to long/often. But after a while I can't hear anything but the "hum" of the cloak when it is on and even when it is off. I can still hear my own gun firing but not others. So I'll be getting shot at and not know it until someone pings me and I wonder why my controller is shaking and the screen is getting bloody. REALLY annoying. All I can hear is that and the ambient sounds of the level.

I think it might have to do with the cloak since it didn't happen when I was playing a medic, though I could be wrong. This has been happening for a long time... Wonder if my inputs are set up wrong on the system itself of what. But for the sniper class sound is really important and this is messing up my rounds still. :roll:[/QUOTE]
That happened to me once... I don't know what class I was playing though.

I've had the cloak silence 'bug' many times, it usually happens when I'm rolling as a dedicated sniper on long Pyhrius Rise games. Switching classes doesn't help, you have to exit the game, or just live with it.

I usually just tough it out since by then I'm usually in the zone and making a nice spread of kills.

mkay... the precise control... I don't have gripes about it, but I will be honest and say it does break some of the "weight" and "realism" that KZ has... it basically turns KZ2 into another twitch shooter...

fuck twitch shooters. I'm tired of them. oh well.

well, here's the trophies for the new maps (no surprises):

• Beach Head Engineer - Repair 5 objects in Beach Head during one round
  • Beach Head Tactician - 5 allies spawn on your spawn grenade in Beach Head during one round
  • Beach Head Saboteur - Kill 5 enemies while disguised in Beach Head during one round
  • Beach Head Scout - Kill 5 enemies while cloaked in Beach Head during one round
  • Beach Head Assault - Boost 5 times in Beach Head during one round
  • Southern Hills Medic - Revive 5 allies in Southern Hills during one round
  • Southern Hills Engineer - Repair 5 objects in Southern Hills during one round
  • Southern Hills Tactician - 5 allies spawn on your spawn grenade in Southern Hills during one round
  • Southern Hills Saboteur - Kill 5 enemies while disguised in Southern Hills during one round
  • Southern Hills Scout - Kill 5 enemies while cloaked in Southern Hills during one round
  • Southern Hills Assault - Boost 5 times in Southern Hills during one round

What does everyone think about the new patch removing Spawn Point invulnerability? At first I was quite dissapointed, but now I see it's starting to force players into more tactical play. Positioning of spawn grenades has to be thought out. Team work is essential - people need to protect the spawn sites. Placing SG's can draw opponents away from objectives as they go for the instakills. Squad Leaders become oh so more important.

Any thoughts?

i think you are invisible for a split second longer noe to at least give you a change to run from any camper. overall the invuln is better how it is now.

i dont like how powerful airbots have become. suddenly they are ten times more powerful than turrets. ive set up multiple turrets trying to take down an airbot and they all get destroyed. i think they leaned a little too far toward the airbot side.

bread's done
Back