Killzone Review up on IGN

[quote name='Trakan']WTF? You post the score with no link?[/quote]

There's no score either, really. (it got a 7.5)

[quote name='kaji7p56']Your link does not work. The score is there, but no review. They can't "tear it a new asshole" if they didn't say anything.[/quote]

It's been acting up. I had problems viewing all the pages of it. It gave me 404 errors for all of them at some point.

[quote name='kaji7p56']now it's up.[/quote]

..the review is th..

whoa. I quoted you and the quote changed when my reply loaded.

Page 2 and 3 aren't there yet.

Well it got a 7.5 out of 10. Not bad but not all that good. I for one enjoyed what i played alot. People who follow hype are always going to be let down. Take Fable as a big example plenty like it but plenty dont. Those who didnt expected alot more.
BTW ripped a new one for 7.5? you make it sound like it got a 6 or a 5

You have to keep hitting refresh , it took awhile but it is there.

Wendy649: You know actually reading the review paints a different picture, it didn't make the game look all that great, then at the end it got a 7.5. So yeah if you were just paying attention to the score you could look at it that way.

Still, a 7.5 isn't THAT bad. I'll always have to play the game myself no matter what any reviewer says about it. It will, however, piss me off if this game stinks because I wasted a lot of Gamerush credit to pre order it.

My favorite highlights..

It's not uncommon to walk in front of a character and see a blurry mishmash of polygons that would barely pass as PSOne acceptable. It's not uncommon to turn a corner and see a hill that looks like a grey temporal void, or a floor that's a long sheet of pure brown.

The first major gameplay oriented problem with Killzone is that the AI is about as intelligent as an orange rolling down a hill. It stands around, stares at walls, twitches madly, remains completely oblivious to things like the death of its friends, and likes to line up in single file and march to its death.

But when you're the stealth girl -- the one that plays off routines and patterns and logic -- it's garbage. Enemies react absurdly, rush when they should roll, and generally do stupid things that make playing sneakily totally pointless and downright aggravating.

You know, if this wasn't PS2 exclusive, it would've gotten a 5 or lower. Since when do they give games that are extremely linear with poor AI and bad close-up graphics at 7?

I'm still going to wait for some other reviews of it. Besides, I'm going to play it anyway since from all the articles I've read about it, it sounded pretty good. I'll just make up my own mind when I play it even though IGN is pretty close to what I normally say.

That score wouldn't be so bad if the words "Halo Killer" hadn't been thrown around.

The score doesn't surprise me.. I beta tested it and it was alright. However, it was the controls that bothered me (unless they've been improved). I think I'll save my money.. I do have an Xbox after all :lol:

I doubt GameRush will give $35 credit for this one. I heard it's going to retail for $39.99 so we'll be lucky to get $25 for it. At least that's what the local GameRush clerk told me. It's another reason I'm kinda miffed.

I can't get to the link either, and I'm an Insider too. Anyways, 7.5 isn't a bad review, and honestly, I don't take IGN too seriously. Gamespot is a lot more realistic with their scores. I played the beta of KZ, and loved it, so I'll definitelly pick it p when released.

[quote name='BigNick']LMAO, wasnt this suppose to be the Halo killer?[/quote]

LMAO, did anyone actually believe that? :lol:

[quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='BigNick']LMAO, wasnt this suppose to be the Halo killer?[/quote]

LMAO, did anyone actually believe that? :lol:[/quote]

Yes, Halo-Killer. As if, with 40 million units sold, the Playstation needs a system seller or needs (or is able) to compete with Xbox in the FPS genre. Why even make the allusion....

I knew this game wasn't going to be that great. It's by Guerilla Games and it uses the Shellshock engine, that alone should warn you.

if you had a chance to read it, the reviewer was an idiot so they may re-review it again. that's what i'm thinking what's happening now

[quote name='fmarxnge']if you had a chance to read it, the reviewer was an idiot so they may re-review it again. that's what i'm thinking what's happening now[/quote]

How was he an idiot? I thought he was being perfectly truthful and honest. I didn't detect any hype or bias in his words.

[quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='fmarxnge']if you had a chance to read it, the reviewer was an idiot so they may re-review it again. that's what i'm thinking what's happening now[/quote]

How was he an idiot? I thought he was being perfectly truthful and honest. I didn't detect any hype or bias in his words.[/quote]

guess we'll have to wait and see what happens. the reviewer also said that there was no lipsyncing with voice actors, but it was confirmed by guerilla that it did. so that's what is making me skeptical about the review

[quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='BigNick']LMAO, wasnt this suppose to be the Halo killer?[/quote]

Didn't GI dub it the "Halo Killer?" #-o

Meh, doesn't matter I'm still going to get it becasue I got the demo and liked it a lot and there is no way the final game is worse than the demo. Also online sounds really good from what I hear. And Trakan GI did call it a halo killer, not Sony or Guerilla. BTW the reason Shellshock was so bad was becaus Guerilla was rushed and didn't get to do everything they wanted with it due to the funding they got for it.

So has there ever been a game called "Halo Killer" that was even remotely fun? Brute Force blew, this gets a 7.5, which doesn't put it in the same league as Halo. Any others I'm forgetting?

[quote name='evilpenguin9000']So has there ever been a game called "Halo Killer" that was even remotely fun? Brute Force blew, this gets a 7.5, which doesn't put it in the same league as Halo. Any others I'm forgetting?[/quote]

I'm gonna go ahead and call Area 51 a Halo Killer.

[quote name='Scorch']I'm gonna go ahead and call Area 51 a Halo Killer.[/quote]

:lol: This coming from the guy with two fully-paid copies of Halo 2.

Sounds like most people didn't play the demo. From what I played, I enjoyed it, but it had some pretty serious problems. For a good portion of the first level, you never see an enemy close up at all. You're shooting at half-inch tall silhouettes. I got stuck on a piece of geometry, and had to start the level over.

The scripted sequences can be interesting, but the AI is as dumb as a rock. The graphics are great when they're working properly, but there are enough graphical glitches and flat out f**kups to break the illusion so often that it's hard to feel immersed in the game.

The worst part, IMO, though, is that say, on the second level, you have a choice of what character to play. But you all play through the same level. So if you're the stealth girl, you go through the one vent there. If you're the gunner guy, you just shoot a whole bunch. Had Guerilla focused purely on making one particular level awesome for one character, I think it would have been a much better game. As it is, it's pretty horribly flawed. You choose the stealth person, then have to find the stealth path. The interesting thing about having these kinds of options is seeing what is available, *then* choosing how to approach the situation. Not the other way around.

I might consider getting this when it's $20. I have no doubt the hype alone will drive this to GH status. But this is the kind of game that competes with MoH: Rising Sun, not Halo.

seppo

Only an Xbox fanboy would say that review was well-written.

I read through it and the review was the worst I've ever read. IGN has been getting worse year after year with their biasness, either praising a game too much or trashing it too much. That's why I'm starting to like gamespot more now because they may gave a game a low score, but they don't really bash it and try to say some positives about the game.

As for Killzone, I thought the demo was cool, but I'd probably never get it. I hate FPS more than any other game genre. I have zero interest in Halo 2, sine I feel the first Halo was the most overrated game of all time, giving it the same score IGN gave Killzone.

[quote name='Samurai T']Only an Xbox fanboy would say that review was well-written.

I read through it and the review was the worst I've ever read. IGN has been getting worse year after year with their biasness, either praising a game too much or trashing it too much. That's why I'm starting to like gamespot more now because they may gave a game a low score, but they don't really bash it and try to say some positives about the game.

As for Killzone, I thought the demo was cool, but I'd probably never get it. I hate FPS more than any other game genre. I have zero interest in Halo 2, sine I feel the first Halo was the most overrated game of all time, giving it the same score IGN gave Killzone.[/quote]

You might think Halo is over rated, because you clearly state that you hate FPS.

[quote name='whoknows']Meh, doesn't matter I'm still going to get it becasue I got the demo and liked it a lot and there is no way the final game is worse than the demo.[/quote]

You should be careful, just because the demo is good does NOT mean the game is good. Often times developers put their resources into the early levels of games and make them look and feel fantastic. But they sometimes run out of time and are unable to make the whole product as good as its early parts. Case in point: MGS 2. This is not some fanboy rant or anything against MGS2 and I don't wanna start a flame war but I think most people were dissapointed with the final product because many tried the very well done demo. The first part of the game has destructible environments with small details all over the place but when you get to the plant section all the textures feel about the same, you play as RAIDEN, there is a LOT less interaction with the environment, and a lot more running back and forth between similar looking rooms (I won't even go into the storyline...). The whole game did not have the same sort of polish that was put into the early part that was used for the demo so at least keep your mind open that your demo of Killzone may NOT be representative of the final product.

[quote name='xspeedracerx'][quote name='Samurai T']Only an Xbox fanboy would say that review was well-written.

As for Killzone, I thought the demo was cool, but I'd probably never get it. I hate FPS more than any other game genre. I have zero interest in Halo 2, sine I feel the first Halo was the most overrated game of all time, giving it the same score IGN gave Killzone.[/quote]

You might think Halo is over rated, because you clearly state that you hate FPS.[/quote]

Halo IS badly overrated, though. To FF7 levels, really.

Alot of games are going to be lost in mediocrity this holiday season... this is just one of them. It'll be 4.99 at CC or BB in March or so, wait till then.

[quote name='bmulligan'][quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='BigNick']LMAO, wasnt this suppose to be the Halo killer?[/quote]

Yes, Halo-Killer. As if, with 40 million units sold, the Playstation needs a system seller or needs (or is able) to compete with Xbox in the FPS genre. Why even make the allusion....[/quote]

Seriously, I mean, if Sony can sell the shit out of their systems, who the fuck needs good games?

[quote name='basketkase543'][quote name='whoknows']Meh, doesn't matter I'm still going to get it becasue I got the demo and liked it a lot and there is no way the final game is worse than the demo.[/quote]

You should be careful, just because the demo is good does NOT mean the game is good. Often times developers put their resources into the early levels of games and make them look and feel fantastic. But they sometimes run out of time and are unable to make the whole product as good as its early parts. Case in point: MGS 2. This is not some fanboy rant or anything against MGS2 and I don't wanna start a flame war but I think most people were dissapointed with the final product because many tried the very well done demo. The first part of the game has destructible environments with small details all over the place but when you get to the plant section all the textures feel about the same, you play as RAIDEN, there is a LOT less interaction with the environment, and a lot more running back and forth between similar looking rooms (I won't even go into the storyline...). The whole game did not have the same sort of polish that was put into the early part that was used for the demo so at least keep your mind open that your demo of Killzone may NOT be representative of the final product.[/quote]

True, but the developers at the Playstation.com forums said that they worked out the bugs so....I'm just going to have to take their word for it.

[quote name='basketkase543'][quote name='whoknows']Meh, doesn't matter I'm still going to get it becasue I got the demo and liked it a lot and there is no way the final game is worse than the demo.[/quote]

You should be careful, just because the demo is good does NOT mean the game is good. Often times developers put their resources into the early levels of games and make them look and feel fantastic. But they sometimes run out of time and are unable to make the whole product as good as its early parts. Case in point: MGS 2. This is not some fanboy rant or anything against MGS2 and I don't wanna start a flame war but I think most people were dissapointed with the final product because many tried the very well done demo. The first part of the game has destructible environments with small details all over the place but when you get to the plant section all the textures feel about the same, you play as RAIDEN, there is a LOT less interaction with the environment, and a lot more running back and forth between similar looking rooms (I won't even go into the storyline...). The whole game did not have the same sort of polish that was put into the early part that was used for the demo so at least keep your mind open that your demo of Killzone may NOT be representative of the final product.[/quote]

SO you're saying that the whole Raiden switcharoo and the storyline came about because the developers ran out of time/money? :lol: You know Kojima planned it right? It wasn't like "Oh no! We have a deadline coming up! let's just put this blond guy here instead of snake. we'll just make up some new villians! I got it : The Patriots!" After the success of the first metal gear, he had all the time he wanted to work the kinks out.

Killzone, on the other hand, had a strict deadline. They wanted it out in time to "compete" with Halo 2. They rushed it out before it was ready.
But MGS 2 was meant to be that way.

bread's done
Back